On Break One Piece Chapter 980 Discussion

Who is Queen planning to replace in the Flying Six?

• Total voters

goldb

片翼の天使/ Katayoku no Tenshi
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've added a new poll( thank you to everyone that voted on the last one) based on something that was briefly discussed when the chapter came out. Who does Queen want to replace in the Flying Six?

You'll get 2 choices. Let us know why you made those characters and what reasons you think Queen might have to replace them.

Also, there is not chapter this week unfortunately this is one of Oda's breaks. So chapter will be back with spoilers from next week around 4th June. If you do want to discuss breaks in general please go HERE to do so. Cheers~

Lexusflame

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Who's fault is that?

During the dof fight, everyone in the arc acted like luffy was the only hope (...when in reality, he was quite outmatched in that fight).

The complaint (at least for me) is that Luffy continues to be a disappointment, contrary to how the plot wants to portray him...

At his current pace, Luffy is getting the title of pirate king, the same way Buggy got the title shichibukai.
This is a very common MC shounen troupe. Don't get to upset about it. In the end they always rise up to meet expectations. No one hold seriously be worried about 1 altercation. Surprised, but not worried.

In the end, it's gunna be Luffy who defeats Kaido. Once the main fight starts, performance will be much different.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

oh didn't consider that a possibility of how Apoo attacks! Means he can change the nature of his attacks from blunt to slashes if he wants, which is pretty dangerous.

I don't get why people don't understand this and are surprised. Apoo is part of Supernova, and it's reasonable to believe most of the crews have gotten stronger during the timeskip. Luffy and Zoro are really overhyped.

Wonder if haki is enough to protect from Apoo's sound attacks.
We'd have to know if Apoo attacks internally or externally. If its externally, haki should mitigate some damage... internally? Might be a bit harder to defend against

JStackz26

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well we clearly see no plan goes off without hitch with Luffy there. Sanii always misses the action smh. There seems to be a chopper lookalike too. Or an adult looking version.

So now I doubt Apoo will be out cold anyway. Kind of underestimated him. It seems Kid is perfect for fighting him because of magnetism ability. It’d be interesting if Brook fights him.

But anyway, he seems like an enemy that you either need strong CoA or strong CoO or Hawkins ability. So far to me it seems like the guy in the strawhats that would go against him is Sanji. As a way to strengthen his CoO. Anyway, so far matchups I see for Sanji are:
Apoo, PageOne, XDrake, Sasaki is definitely a Jinbe opponent. Then you have Daifuku and Perospero. Lastly Queen. I hope Oda gives him some time going against Kaido. Both him and Zoro. Let them build their renown.
Hopefully he gets some good fights. I still think he needs to be powered up with something. But that’s 6 opponents for Sanji to choose from. As he’s likely not on Queen’s level yet.

But now, this looks like they’ll get captured again.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Who's fault is that?

During the dof fight, everyone in the arc acted like luffy was the only hope (...when in reality, he was quite outmatched in that fight).

The complaint (at least for me) is that Luffy continues to be a disappointment, contrary to how the plot wants to portray him...

At his current pace, Luffy is getting the title of pirate king, the same way Buggy got the title shichibukai.
Readers' fault for not realizing that there are other strong characters as well as characters with different powers that can be inferior to Luffy and still beat him because devil fruit. CHaracters in the arc go by what they see and don't have a universal experience, but we as readers see more and should know more and better.

Eh, I'm okay with this. Rushing through everything and making Luffy too strong too quickly would suck. Plus, Roger did get the title after he was half a century old, if I got my age right.

This is a very common MC shounen troupe. Don't get to upset about it. In the end they always rise up to meet expectations. No one hold seriously be worried about 1 altercation. Surprised, but not worried.

In the end, it's gunna be Luffy who defeats Kaido. Once the main fight starts, performance will be much different.

We'd have to know if Apoo attacks internally or externally. If its externally, haki should mitigate some damage... internally? Might be a bit harder to defend against
Seems it's external.

King Moe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Orochi is gonna be taken down by Momonosuke and Hiyori, that much is obvious...
Better be trolling lol. Special DF isn't no joke as well Orochi is smart fighter. They need Zoro to help him and vice versa protecting anymore injuries he gets later.

Apoo hype is the exact same hype which Sanji got when he cheap shotted Oven and PageOne, the same hype Doffy got when he cheap shotted Jozu, the same hype Kidd is just now getting for cheap shotting Apoo... People never learn to stop jumping on bandwagon because of cheap shots...
Actually nah. His hype is legit, it's not fake as hype Zoro by his fanbase who said he 'Beat' anyone he faced and won't get injured easily. Here we have a man running away from Apoo the moment it gets tough lol. Zoro been more glass hype tool who more talk than action as he hasn't back anything up.

Apoo is being legit as Oda shows as he didn't equally brawl with Kidd for nothing.

Ellenate

Reaction score
Country
United States

Not even...

Luffy has never risen-up to a real threat. The best he has ever done, is hold on for dear life, while playing the endurance game.

aster4jaden

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At a point during the brief encounter, Apoo spoke about Luffy and Zoro still being within the range of his attacks. It made me wonder if the power behind his attacks vary depending on how close an opponent is within said range or not? In the same way sound works the further away you are from the source.

He gave us a good a good showing for a Supernova we've not seen much from since the timeskip and if he's not going to be an integral part of this battle, I think Kid will deal with him before moving forward.
I didn't care much about the chapter in general besides seeing more of Apoo's character and Queen's words about removing one of the Flying Six. Is he referring Drake possibly? has Kaido caught wind of Drake's true colours or is it just one of others that King also seems to have a problem with?

We also saw so many new hybrid designs for the SMILE users; similar in style to Babanuki and Holdem but much more exaggerated with the animal form being more prominent. Oda must really be enjoying this process.
I hoping this means we'll get to know the name of Kid's Devil Fruit next Chapter or very soon.

Not even...

Luffy has never risen-up to a real threat. The best he has ever done, is hold on for dear life, while playing the endurance game.
I kinda agree with you, I mean he never actually defeated Katakuri. He did get up and would of probably ended Luffy had he not been the MC.

Lexusflame

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not even...

Then you have completely missed the entire point of Luffy as a character. Luffy has been threatening when he has needed to be. He is fighting an up hill battle, but when the chips are down he always pulls through. Its often his preserverance thats intimidating and his willingness to never give up.

I'm not sure why one would ever think Luffy would roll im with the intimidation levels of the Admirals or Yonko, its not in his character 99.9% of the time.

What your saying is right in a sense, but it's as flat as saying Ussop has never been brave because a 99% of the time he acts cowardly. He has moments of bravery and thats why those moments are so cherished.

Luffy isn't MEANT to be intimadating and your generalizing

I kinda agree with you, I mean he never actually defeated Katakuri. He did get up and would of probably ended Luffy had he not been the MC.
How do you argue this?

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not even...

lol, he literally rises up to fight the threat every arc. Are you sure you are reading One Piece?

I hoping this means we'll get to know the name of Kid's Devil Fruit next Chapter or very soon.

you guys realize...the entire manga is plot? Like Oda writes it, and there is not an alternate world where Katakuri, a real human, beats Luffy, another real human. Luffy wasn't saved by being the MC. He wasn't about to lose the fight and then Oda swooped in to save him. Oda wrote him to win, and that's that lol.

Grandmaster Woro

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Special DF isn't no joke as well Orochi is smart fighter.
That means orochi is sanji's job then. Isn't sanji supposed to be the 'smart fighter'? RS helps sanji to fool orochi

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Looked like a normal explosion in One Piece... including the smoke coming from the mouth. :x

Lexusflame

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looked like a normal explosion in One Piece... including the smoke coming from the mouth. :x
I mean if the sound waves have to reverberate through their body before detonating or does it have to reach their ears? Or just skin contact.

Like can you just haki up you ears to mitigate the damage hahahaahava ARE DEAF PEOPLE IMMUNE TO APOO?

IS Rosinante immune to Apoo's DF and a perfect counter????

Last edited:

Ellenate

Reaction score
Country
United States
you guys realize...the entire manga is plot? Like Oda writes it, and there is not an alternate world where Katakuri, a real human, beats Luffy, another real human. Luffy wasn't saved by being the MC. He wasn't about to lose the fight and then Oda swooped in to save him. Oda wrote him to win, and that's that lol.
"Plot" is just a way of saying something is contrived.

Then you have completely missed the entire point of Luffy as a character. Luffy has been threatening when he has needed to be. He is fighting an up hill battle, but when the chips are down he always pulls through. Its often his preserverance thats intimidating and his willingness to never give up.
He's a madman and his crew is crazy for following him. Insane luck is the only reason they are all still breathing. :derp

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I mean if the sound waves have to reverberate through their body before detonating or does it have to reach their ears? Or just skin contact.

Like can you just haki up you ears to mitigate the damage hahahaahava ARE DEAF PEOPLE IMMUNE TO APOO?

IS Rosinante immune to Apoo's DF and a perfect counter????
Apoo ability "punched" Luffy with music, so I don't think it reaches the inside

And yes, Rosinante ability would prevent Apoo ability from working

Lexusflame

Reaction score
Country
United States
He's a madman and his crew is crazy for following him. Insane luck is the only reason they are all still breathing. :derp
Can't argue that lol

Apoo ability "punched" Luffy with music, so I don't think it reaches the inside

And yes, Rosinante ability would prevent Apoo ability from working
I'm wonder if a deaf person would still suffer an attack tho. What do you think?

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Can't argue that lol

I'm wonder if a deaf person would still suffer an attack tho. What do you think?
I think so. Apoo ability cut Zoro's chest, not his ears.

Lexusflame

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think so. Apoo ability cut Zoro's chest, not his ears.
Sound has to be processed through the ears tho. If its sound waves, those can be felt.

I just wanna know the details of Apoo's fruit. Its so interesting to me. I like intricate DF's like his... also wanna know its name.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The only reference would be Stampede, which Apoo misses an explosion on Bullet and hits the ground, meaning it can target inanimate objects too...

slavkovski

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I hope with this appo's ability that could work on luff and zoro are somewhat an indication that strength are not the only way to fight in one piece and that an ability like sugar's & perona's can still work on people who is actually stronger than them..
It's a shame oda havent actually dare to do a weak but smart person with a strange ability to fight a really physically powerfull enemy..

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
The crew themselves will agree with you completely, as will any reader. I don't think we should be taking their fights too seriously, as it's just meant to be fun and all. Or it used to be.

Federicoxxx

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Well i gotta say Apoo DF powers are interesting.. it is obvious he can change
sound waves into attacks like slashes
and explosions.. BUT as he says..
He need a certain RANGE.. i m sure if
luffy attacks from far away with a COA Culvering.. or zoro with some kind kind
of long range Slash.. it would be hard
for him to counter it..and will be unable
to strike back.. except maybe for counter
zoro Slash..himself or luffy arm with will be on his range.. im sure even usopp can hurt him from a very very far away sneak attack

also i was expecting at least 10 chapters about infiltration .. gathering info..
but Oh No No No.. i forgot about luffy
and he says fuck dat..
lets ends the infiltration rigth now...
luffy undercover agent career.. ended up
in like 2 minutes since he step on Onigashima, my fault since i belief it was gonna be different, lol