This is the point i want to drill down on. Big Mom uses a sword. She has used it pretty well every fight we've seen her have. Do you think Mihawk would beat her? If she is stronger than Mihawk because of all of her attributes, her strength, her durability, her Devil Fruit, and she beats him in a fight, is she then the worlds strongest swords(wo)man?
I have already addressed my opinion on characters like Big Mom:
The homies combined with Big Mom's ability to snatch part of someone's soul instantly like she did to one of her son's with just a touch of her hand could give her an edge.
Honestly I don't know, but my point is that despite carrying a sword, BM's not a swordsman in the sense that Shanks or Mihawk are, so she's not immediately weaker than the WSS going just by the title alone. She could still be weaker, though, I don't know. I don't have a solid opinion on her strength.
I don't know how she ranks compared to Mihawk, Kaido or Shanks.
I really cannot say much more about that.
I also don't see Mihawk "growing" in stature with each Zoro victory. Unless Zoro fights actual swordsmen, it doesn't say anything about Mihawk. If King fights Zoro in his Zoan form mostly, flying around shooting fire at him, then loses, that says nothing about Mihawk's strength really (I hope King is a great Swordsman and fights Zoro with that sword, using his hybrid form for extra strength. In that case, yes, Mihawk is stronger than King!).
I agree that what hypes Mihawk most power will be when Zoro defeats pure swordsmen (which is another reason why he will fight Shiryu in the future). However, even then, I think if Zoro was to defeat King while King fights in a weird Tengu+Pteranodon form with four wings and fire instead of as a swordsman, it would still hype Mihawk's power up simply because he will come later as an opponent to Zoro.
That's, of course, unless you think that when Zoro vs Mihawk happens Zoro will have already defeated stronger opponents than Mihawk and he will have an easy and uninteresting fight. I think that'd be extremely disappointing even for people who don't like Mihawk's character. If Zoro's to have a good final fight against Mihawk that answers to the hype to more than 20 years of hype (perhaps 30 at the pace we're going) then Mihawk going all out will be stronger than anyone Zoro defeats beforehand).
The way I see things with Shanks vs Mihawk is this:
Shanks stopped Kaido from going to Marineford. Shanks crew is tiny. Kaido left rather than fight.
Shanks and his tiny crew stopped the war. Akainu who moments earlier was shouting to not let a single pirate escape didn't lift a finger to go after Shanks.
Big Mom outright stated that if only she had the giants on her side she could defeat Shanks. Big Mom has a monster crew of her children who dwarf Shanks crew in size.
Now, for sure that means Shanks crew all have to be strong. but then people argue that Mihawk would be the strongest commander in the crew, which I can even agree with...but then doesn't that imply that the captain must be a monster of a man as well, someone at the pinnacle of the Yonko?
Well, as I said, my opinion is that an outcome of Shanks vs Mihawk depends on what we're talking about exactly.
- Shanks crew vs Mihawk crew? Shanks wins. I don't think Mihawk, being the loner that he is, has the power to defeat a full yonkou crew on his own. Even if, say, Shanks was to challenge Kaido's crew on his own, he would be weared down by Yonkou Commanders even if they're weaker than him and eventually killed by Kaido. Same for Mihawk. So of course I don't think Mihawk could have just stopped Kaido, but that's because he lacks a crew.
- On the other hand, I think if Shanks and Mihawk fight 1 vs 1, Mihawk will win.
I just cant see him being below Mihawk. If we even had a slight indication taht Mihawk was stronger than him in the past, maybe? But even then we don't. And Shanks became an emperor after this, after he lost his arm. Hell, he even uses his sword in his off hand, not his dominant one anymore. And yet...he's still strong enough to stop Akainu. And Kaido. And make Big Mom think twice about attacking him with her current crew.
Well, we have the indication of the WSS title that he has while "Swordsman Shanks" doesn't.
I'm not undermining Shanks: Shanks is a monster and I LOVE his character as well. All of his feats are very solid. I just haven't been told by the manga that Mihawk can't do those as well or that he's "The World's Stronger Swordsman except for Shanks and Rayleigh" or something like that.
Shanks' title means he has more power over the world and that he's a more important person than Mihawk in that sense, but that doesn't mean that Mihawk can't be stronger than him. Shanks tried to become a Yonkou and he became one. His rival Mihawk from when he had two arms wasn't interested in becoming a Yonkou and he didn't, he instead chose to become a Shichibukai for the freedom. In this particular case and taking what I just said into account, the fact that one is a Yonkou and the other a Shichibukai doesn't mean the Yonkou is a stronger fighter than the Shichibukai; just different carreer choices.
However as I have already acknowledged a couple of times this debate is a stalemate. I can say the reasons why I think of Mihawk like this and you guys can tell me why you don't agree. I could even just post it as a prediction on the prediction thread if you will. But Mihawk hasn't had enough feats to really prove if I'm right or wrong. If he's ever proved to be weaker I'll be disappointed (both in the character and in the lack of weight of the title for that to be Zoro's objective, specially if he then doesn't go and defeat Shanks as well) but I'll acknowledge it.
Thus far she's equal to Shanks and Kaido as they are held in the same regard narrative wise (the elders' comment for example) and she clashed with Kaido and they fought evenly for days. If Kaido were stronger he'd have overpowered her and beaten her but he didn't and they were portrayed as equals with their initial clash as well.
If you put it like that, that'd mean Mihawk is around her level as well, then. However, no matter how equal some characters are, there will always be a winner. The original admirals also looked like equals and indeed Akainu vs Aokiji lasted days. However, in the end, there was a clear winner who lost nothing, and a loser who lost a leg.
I think when the power and skill are around the same level, some fights (some, not every fight) can become like rock, paper, scsissors, in which some opponents have the upper hand on others because of their specific abilities. So while I'll keep defending that Mihawk is likely to be stronger than Shanks, I don't have an opinion on Mihawk vs Big Mom. Just like I said, it's not like I think Mihawk is stronger than Shanks by a lot; just stronger. I'd put them around the same tier. If that means he's also on the same tier of Kaido and Big Mom strength-wise then so be it, but being on the same tier as Big Mom doesn't guarantee a win because the fact that she holds a swords does not mean she's "a swordsman". She's more of a brute with a pretty hax ability that she can use either to outnumber the opponent with various strong elemental or physical attackers or to take the soul away from his opponent and eat it.
I won't make any bets on who's stronger between Big Mom and Mihawk.
Yeah snatching the soul is a win but that doesnt working on anyone notable. You need to be scared of her for her ability to affect your soul...
Big Mom is the same swordsman as Mihawk and Shanks but she also has a DF and DFs didnt stop anyone from being swordsmen...
Well, how they rank seems logically like this: Kaido as undisputed nr1 based on WSC and based on Oda's SBS statement, Mihawk next in line, Shanks should be next since he is Mihawk's greatest rival and last should be Big Mom.
Fair, Big Mom can be considered a swordsman, I think she did use a strong flying slashing technique against the living tree. But I just think Mihawk being a better swordsman doesn't immediately guarantee he's also superior to her additional abilities working in tandem with her swordsmanship.
However, most people here believe Shanks is the strongest Yonkou; stronger than Big Mom just with his swordsmanship. If Shanks is acknowledged stronger than Big Mom, then Mihawk, who's also a pure swordsman like him but stronger, should probably also be above Big Mom.
I don't think much more can be said on this topic tbh.