Shounen - One Piece | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen One Piece

OZ-900

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
i was surprised when i saw your name at the front page Moon
i see you've written quite a few reviews...thx for that Moon :D
this should help people discover great mangas out there

back to topic...OnePiece is 100/10.........lol
it does start alil slow but it gets DAMN AWESOME after that...
very good story-telling, unexpectable plot, and epic stories...
hail Oda the Mangaka God :D

vick86

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
A short review (not really judging anything but just my opinion): A longstanding shonen cliche is the fact that the main character has to beat up a stronger badguys in every arc and One Piece follows this to the letter but it's within these confines that it shines through it's excellent set of characters from the main players to the bit characters (All of whom are very different but no less interesting or enjoyable) and it's storytelling which can be both epic and personal sometimes both at the same time.

In my opinion One Piece is the best shonen ever made however it can easily turn off new readers by its crazy art style and the fact that the beginning isn't really that great instead like fine wine One Piece gets better with age.

The thing that really sets One Piece apart from series likeNaruto or Dragonball is that it doesn't go all action after 200 chapters forgetting the secondary (minor) characters and the humor in the process. The real accomplishment is the fact that after nearly 500 chapters One Piece has lost none of it's charm and continues to amaze and enterain us with great characters, great storytelling and it's brilliant mix of action, humor and drama. In other words everything you could possible want from a shonen.

If there is one complaint one can have of the series besides the art style and it's weaker beginning it's that Oda may spend too much time telling stories and developing characters that while being great don't really matter in the long run and/or the main plot but that's nitpicking.

Last edited:

OhDearMoshe

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Surprisingly I did not fall in love with it within 100 chapters. I made it to 305 and then quit. It just didn't seem to do much for me. I do remember there where a few bits I did like a lot however and so I am going to pick this series up once again after reading this chapter to see if I can really get into it!

redcometfm

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Surprisingly I did not fall in love with it within 100 chapters. I made it to 305 and then quit. It just didn't seem to do much for me. I do remember there where a few bits I did like a lot however and so I am going to pick this series up once again after reading this chapter to see if I can really get into it!
I did the same, only I quit around 114. I...just couldnt stand it anymore, and this was after trying to read it/giving it a chance three times. Such childish and generally stupid dialogue. Every arc was like "No! Dont fight him! Youre gonna die!!!!!" "I must!" "No!~~~" and just repeat that dialogue exchange over 7 chapters every other page. And the plot didn't seem to do anything. My friends bashed me for not going until Skypeia or Water 7 or whatever upcoming arc it was where they go with the princess to her homeland but I just couldnt do it anymore, it was just too childish for me. Let alone the fact that the art itself was repugnant.

Stupid characters save one or two, a few cool ideas, a silly plot and repulsive art just killed it for me. Also felt like the author was just continually pulling ideas out of his ass, especially from what my friends told me of the later arcs.

I even tried again with one of the recent chapters (484?) and it still turned me off. I hate to say it, but I feel this manga just isn't meant for my age. To be even more honest, I feel like it was meant for 4 year olds.

OhDearMoshe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I even tried again with one of the recent chapters (484?) and it still turned me off. I hate to say it, but I feel this manga just isn't meant for my age. To be even more honest, I feel like it was meant for 4 year olds.
It is Shonen. Anyway I finished One Piece from where I was and I will offer my own review for this soon (can't do it now).

fluke32

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I did the same, only I quit around 114. I...just couldnt stand it anymore, and this was after trying to read it/giving it a chance three times. Such childish and generally stupid dialogue. Every arc was like "No! Dont fight him! Youre gonna die!!!!!" "I must!" "No!~~~" and just repeat that dialogue exchange over 7 chapters every other page. And the plot didn't seem to do anything. My friends bashed me for not going until Skypeia or Water 7 or whatever upcoming arc it was where they go with the princess to her homeland but I just couldnt do it anymore, it was just too childish for me. Let alone the fact that the art itself was repugnant.

Stupid characters save one or two, a few cool ideas, a silly plot and repulsive art just killed it for me. Also felt like the author was just continually pulling ideas out of his ass, especially from what my friends told me of the later arcs.

I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinions but um, dude... DUH! It was meant to be silly in the first place since its genre specifically says COMEDY! (Mooncrow, you forgot to mention the fact that it's supposed to be a comedy) Of course it has to be silly, stupid, childish, and repetitive, if not, how else is it suppose to make anyone, if not everyone, laugh?!? And uh, dude, you're 19, and you don't think a comedy is supposed to be comic?

Age group isn't the target of this manga, it's just taste, and yours simply didn't like comedy as it seems. The manga was meant for people who likes to relieve their stress and have something to feel good about. Although the plot sometimes deviate to some melodramatics. it is still true to it's goal of letting the readers read, see and experience heart warming moments, feelings, and emotions.

This manga is a 10/10 without a doubt. You just can't say that the manga isn't a good read especially if it does it's job so well for almost over 11 years already. (This also should contradict redcometfm's age group target argument if he's really 19.)

redcometfm

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinions but um, dude... DUH! It was meant to be silly in the first place since its genre specifically says COMEDY! (Mooncrow, you forgot to mention the fact that it's supposed to be a comedy) Of course it has to be silly, stupid, childish, and repetitive, if not, how else is it suppose to make anyone, if not everyone, laugh?!? And uh, dude, you're 19, and you don't think a comedy is supposed to be comic?

Age group isn't the target of this manga, it's just taste, and yours simply didn't like comedy as it seems. The manga was meant for people who likes to relieve their stress and have something to feel good about. Although the plot sometimes deviate to some melodramatics. it is still true to it's goal of letting the readers read, see and experience heart warming moments, feelings, and emotions.

This manga is a 10/10 without a doubt. You just can't say that the manga isn't a good read especially if it does it's job so well for almost over 11 years already. (This also should contradict redcometfm's age group target argument if he's really 19.)
No no no. You see, Dragonball (which One Piece badly tries to emulate) is funny. Truly hilarious. One Piece is not. It is pure, stupid humor. It's humor is equivalent to that of a man who's picked up randomly off the streets and is forced to do a stand up comedy routine and tries to be funny by spewing out the first random things that come to mind. Its stupid. And it's quite possibly one of the worst mangas I've ever read. It's only done so well because of the numerous shallow people who enjoy it as well as the massive (yet predictable) children audience it amasses.

Mooncrow

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Enough, redcomet. Kindly go read the rules of both this forum and this specific sub-forum. Then re-read them. Then come back here and edit your posts. (And I do include your HxH comments as well).

Keep it civil, or keep it on another forum.

fluke32

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
No no no. You see, Dragonball (which One Piece badly tries to emulate) is funny. Truly hilarious. One Piece is not. It is pure, stupid humor. It's humor is equivalent to that of a man who's picked up randomly off the streets and is forced to do a stand up comedy routine and tries to be funny by spewing out the first random things that come to mind. Its stupid. And it's quite possibly one of the worst mangas I've ever read. It's only done so well because of the numerous shallow people who enjoy it as well as the massive (yet predictable) children audience it amasses.
That was a very rude comment man. You absolutely don't want to abuse the anonymity of the internet to bash manga enthusiasts because it might come back right at you.

Surprisingly enough, even though you knew how comical Dragon Ball was, I think you're very new to japanese manga culture. Dude, this style that One Piece used is a new form of humor created by the mangaka with originality in mind and has always revolved around the idea of making readers say "What the hell are these guys thinking!?!" when they see the dialog of the characters 11 years ago. This is One Piece's original style that they created and other mangas are now employing as well. (i.e. Fairy Tail) To throw the original style of the manga is like making it look like dragon ball. One Piece is not a rip off of Dragon Ball at all. The plots, themes, and character development are totally different. Dragon ball was about a boy's who's dream is to become the strongest martial artist, while One Piece was about a boy who dreams to be a strong Pirate that has lots of power and strong allies. Case in point is that Son Goku's about one's self and Luffy's is about him and nakamas. See the difference?

Also, speaking of Dragon Ball, its humor is totally different. Sure both main characters are listless, dumb, and ignoramuses, but the humor presented are different. Dragon Ball's humor is based on how stupid the a character "superficially looks" in the story while One Piece's humor depends on how "simple-minded" the characters are in its story.

P.S.
If you're gonna use other mangas as examples please be certain of what you're gonna say, because it will divulge how much you really know about manga. ATM, you're lacking in japanese manga culture exposure.

Last edited:

redcometfm

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
That was a very rude comment man. You absolutely don't want to abuse the anonymity of the internet to bash manga enthusiasts because it might come back right at you.

Surprisingly enough, even though you knew how comical Dragon Ball was, I think you're very new to japanese manga culture. Dude, this style that One Piece used is a new form of humor created by the mangaka with originality in mind and has always revolved around the idea of making readers say "What the hell are these guys thinking!?!" when they see the dialog of the characters 11 years ago. This is One Piece's original style that they created and other mangas are now employing as well. (i.e. Fairy Tail) To throw the original style of the manga is like making it look like dragon ball. One Piece is not a rip off of Dragon Ball at all. The plots, themes, and character development are totally different. Dragon ball was about a boy's who's dream is to become the strongest martial artist, while One Piece was about a boy who dreams to be a strong Pirate that has lots of power and strong allies. Case in point is that Son Goku's about one's self and Luffy's is about him and nakamas. See the difference?

Also, speaking of Dragon Ball, its humor is totally different. Sure both main characters are listless, dumb, and ignoramuses, but the humor presented are different. Dragon Ball's humor is based on how stupid the a character "superficially looks" in the story while One Piece's humor depends on how "simple-minded" the characters are in its story.

P.S.
If you're gonna use other mangas as examples please be certain of what you're gonna say, because it will divulge how much you really know about manga. ATM, you're lacking in japanese manga culture exposure.
Emulate, not copy. Knowing definitions help in arguments.
Dragonball also involved Goku growing stronger to protect his friends, family and even enemies.
Hahaha I believe I have quite a good amount of japanese & manga culture exposure.
And if you want to go for those kinds of quips, you shouldn't argue with a filmmaker who's studied storytelling to the extreme and studies the great directors like Kurosawa. So if I do in fact lack japanese culture exposure, you lack credentials to even analyze and judge the quality of storytelling of this manga or even stories/storytelling in general.

I'd like to end this now before I get banned (even if you think I'm using a cop-out argument, I dont care) so let's leave it at that.

fluke32

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Emulate, not copy. Knowing definitions help in arguments.
Dragonball also involved Goku growing stronger to protect his friends, family and even enemies.
Hahaha I believe I have quite a good amount of japanese & manga culture exposure.
And if you want to go for those kinds of quips, you shouldn't argue with a filmmaker who's studied storytelling to the extreme and studies the great directors like Kurosawa. So if I do in fact lack japanese culture exposure, you lack credentials to even analyze and judge the quality of storytelling of this manga or even stories/storytelling in general.

I'd like to end this now before I get banned (even if you think I'm using a cop-out argument, I dont care) so let's leave it at that.
Dude, I told you not to expose yourself too much and you just did.

Film and Manga are two different things. Film captures motion that is harder to represent in ink and paper, thus the storytelling will be different. What you're trying to compare are two different types of storytelling and don't tell me that it's the same anywhere coz that would only show how narrow-minded you are..

And if you're gonna be attacking my background in Education, Psychology, Multimedia, and Computer Science, then you better think twice about it because when it comes to research, no one can outdo a one-time Research Methodologies Teacher like me.

Also, if you think I don't know the name Kurosawa simply because he's the a rare great japanese artist on the top of youre head in your field of expertise, then shame on you. Even a manga enthusiast like me know the name of the director of Seven Samurai. The film which later became was the main influence for the anime "Samurai Seven." You should have used someone harder like Tetsuji Takechi.

Like I said, you're exposure to the culture is lacking if even someone like me who doesn't watch TV too often, has no time to browse the internet too often, don't have access to any manga published, and only can depend on the 2 hour breaks to download Edited Mangas to be able to read manga knows the who's who of other fields besides manga in japan.

Dragonball didn't have Goku run around to rescue his love ones. Those type of scenarios only happened when the story went into Dragon Ball Z (starting from Raditz Arc) where as One Piece practically kept having Luffy running around to save his friends/newly found friends right from the beginning. Also, Dragon Ball shows how an individual becomes stronger and stronger as time passes as the main plot whereas One Piece shows a whole entire group becoming stronger every passing moment. Those are the main differences you are trying to say One Piece is "emulating", as you put it, that really isn't.

Also, you're co-notating my earlier post in the wrong way as well. You may have been exposed to japanese culture but that wasn't the point. The point was you didn't understand the way japanese humor worked in japanese culture, hence you lack exposure to it.

Last edited:

diesirea~

Artist
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
That's the seal of a great writer. Oda planned his manga from the very start to the end.

redcometfm

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Any writer can do that. Doesnt mean their material is any good.

Onomatopoeia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any writer can do that. Doesnt mean their material is any good.
Except many can't. Case and Point: Bleach and while not Toriyma's fault Dragonball too.

It's a plus and clearly shows that he has an idea of where he plans to go.

Last edited:

redcometfm

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Except many can't. Case and Point: Bleach and while not Toriyma's fault Dragonball too.

It's a plus and clearly shows that he has an idea of where he plans to go.
Bleach? Have you not read the manga up to this point as a whole? Its pretty obvious that some grand level of planning was done, even if it wasnt panels or dialogue written ahead of time.
Toriyama did a good job of keeping Dragonball entertaining and epic after his intended ending point.

Obviously youre a huge (aka biased) fan of OP who probably thinks its the best manga ever so its not even worth arguing with you since youll probably find numerous excuses and out of the hat reasons to prove Oda is "great".

Onomatopoeia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bleach? Have you not read the manga up to this point as a whole? Its pretty obvious that some grand level of planning was done, even if it wasnt panels or dialogue written ahead of time.
Toriyama did a good job of keeping Dragonball entertaining and epic after his intended ending point.

Obviously youre a huge (aka biased) fan of OP who probably thinks its the best manga ever so its not even worth arguing with you since youll probably find numerous excuses and out of the hat reasons to prove Oda is "great".
No...it's not.

Did you read the 20 chapters of fodder Fraccion fights that were obviously trying to stall on the plot? Did you read how Aizen threw away Orihime's power because it wasn't going anywhere? Did you forget "Hell"? Etc. Etc.

Yes I"m biased it's not like it's an insult. Your biased too "thus it's not even worth arguing with you since youll probably find numerous excuses and out of the hat reasons to prove Oda is "terrible"." In fact I don't even know why I even debate anything because the person I'm arguing with is biased towards the other point and will pull out of the hat reasons to prove it's point.

Cause you know it's not like everyone is biased.

And yes I consider OP probablly the best Manga out their currently(Neuro might be equal same with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Soul Eater is pretty close too)

redcometfm

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Im sorry if Bleach has a more mature approach to its material rather than appealing to little children like One Piece does. At my age, I cant enjoy reading people (drawn in horrific Tex Avery-like caricatures) go on a simplistic and vague journey with extreme reactions to things every two seconds with ridiculous bad guys (none of which ever die, only beaten up) and stupid dialogue over ridiculous topics.

OP, Naruto and Bleach perfectly reflect the current three age groups of appeal and top market profiting. OP = children to tweens, Naruto = children, tweens and teens, Bleach = children, tweens, teens and adults (because of its mature approach to its story). At least Kubo Tite knows the value of good manga, unlike Oda who pulls stuff out of his arse to draw all that he can for his product and extend the manga as much as he can.

FYI -- Im an open minded reader and I gave OP 140 chapters of reading to see if it could be any good. Thats an entire manga in some instances. Im STILL trying to give it one last shot (to Alabaster) but Oda is making it real difficult.

I realize how hard it may be for some to have patience to see a plot unfold over time with Bleach so its understandable if your ADD is cured by OP mess of a ridiculously childish manga.

I WILL give Oda one thing. The man has a passion for manga, with all the artwork he draws and inks (basically features) in a standard chapter. I will give him credit there. But it doesnt make up for an overly long, shit manga.

BlkHorus

Reaction score
Country
United States
if people want to talk about stories that don't really have it all planned but make up part as it goes then Bleach is a good example, but I would say even better would be Naruto. There are alot of loose ends in the manga that were dropped and never fully exposed as much as Kishi put into developing at the beginning. On top of that, the he has maybe a end picture of how things will end, but the journey to get there he hasn't really done well in a fe cases. Naruto is a good example (modern times) of a manga that had alot of effort put into it at the beginning to develop things, then as Naruto has gotten older, kishi has allowed alot of it to fall here and there with poor writing, too many plot holes, and extremely open-ended events to things he had worked soo much in building and got the reader entangled in.
On those points for much of the modern mangas read right now, One Piece is by far better and complete. Oda has done well with keeping things tied together and really telling not just a story about the main character, but many of those that he encounters throughout the adventure and in the world. Those are the workings of a good manga when you can develop and continuously show shine to characters for reader connection, outside character actions, consequences, and contributions to world events and then still bring action to it. The only thing you could say is that One Piece doesn't bring as much emotion to it as Naruto does, but that again goes with the frame of what the writer set out. naruto was meant to be more emotional even though it lacks more character development and connection than One Piece (well save for Naruto and Sasuke). But One peice definitely delievers more consistantly than Naruto or Bleach (oh god help bleach!).

tehgrim

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Im sorry if Bleach has a more mature approach to its material rather than appealing to little children like One Piece does... and stupid dialogue over ridiculous topics.
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/4/06/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/4/07/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/13/16/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/15/10/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/17/14/

Right so this is the so called mature content from bleach right? ><

these are only from 17 chapters and theirs alot more in the manga...

OP, Naruto and Bleach perfectly reflect the current three age groups of appeal and top market profiting. OP = children to tweens, Naruto = children, tweens and teens, Bleach = children, tweens, teens and adults (because of its mature approach to its story).
all three manga's target the same audience... and the audience is quite a big range with ALOT of cross over.

FYI -- Im an open minded reader and I gave OP 140 chapters of reading to see if it could be any good. Thats an entire manga in some instances. Im STILL trying to give it one last shot (to Alabaster) but Oda is making it real difficult.
Honestly both manga's are good, and both manga's have instances where they draw things out for too long. Also both mangas by the 140th chapter actually get into the story...

I realize how hard it may be for some to have patience to see a plot unfold over time with Bleach so its understandable if your ADD is cured by OP mess of a ridiculously childish manga.
You just said one piece is to long drawn out, then you say here bleach requires patience. Isnt it safe to say that both manga's require patience?

You have a point about one piece, but at the same time all those things apply to bleach as well... I like and read both manga's, i also like one piece more. Bleach has/had its moments, but one piece to me keep delivering those moments. I don't hate or trash on bleach, but your points also apply back...

Onomatopoeia

Reaction score
Country
United States
OP, Naruto and Bleach perfectly reflect the current three age groups of appeal and top market profiting. OP = children to tweens, Naruto = children, tweens and teens, Bleach = children, tweens, teens and adults (because of its mature approach to its story). At least Kubo Tite knows the value of good manga, unlike Oda who pulls stuff out of his arse to draw all that he can for his product and extend the manga as much as he can.
I want to see the evidence behind the bolded. And no your own personal opinion is not evidence. Because hack and slash with good guy's never dying and plenty of fan service doesn't strike me as "mature". Berserk strikes me as mature especially considering how it dances with sensitive issues(religion off the top of my head).

Except Oda doesn't pull stuff out of his arse to draw all he can you've yet to give me an example.

Last edited: