- Joined
- Jan 25, 2021
- Messages
- 776
- Reaction score
- 1,785
- Age
- 31
- Country
-
It's nice to finally get some news about the anime. The studio choice came out of nowhere, but I don't know enough about them or the industry as a whole to really conclude anything based on that. If some of the key staff members are good then the series should have at least some hope, but I'll keep my expectations fairly low for now.
The key visual looks alright to me. The designs don't match the manga's style as closely as the designs in the Magi anime did, but that could also be a good thing since it serves to make the two adaptations visually distinct. It looks like the studio is probably going to be utilizing 3DCG for things like the flying castles and the motorcycles. I kinda expected there to be some 3D elements considering how complicated the designs of the Kishin are, so it's not that surprising they would pop up in other areas as well. As long as the characters are animated by hand I don't really mind it that much even though I'm not a huge fan of 3DCG.
It's not ideal for the anime to make changes to the source material, but I'll take it if it means that the anime will cover the arc where the series really gets going. I think that's ultimately better for attracting new readers, unless the cuts are so significant that they ruin the flow of the story. Covering the Awaji Island arc in season 1 also means that season 2 can start off from the point where the series went monthly, which involved a kind of re-introduction of the cast and key concepts as well as a slight restructuring of future chapters because of the increase length. It's the perfect intro for season 2 especially if there's a long break between it and season 1. Of course it's also possible that the people involved in the production want to take their time with Orient and will instead opt for a slower pacing similar to some of the recent WSJ manga adaptations.
The key visual looks alright to me. The designs don't match the manga's style as closely as the designs in the Magi anime did, but that could also be a good thing since it serves to make the two adaptations visually distinct. It looks like the studio is probably going to be utilizing 3DCG for things like the flying castles and the motorcycles. I kinda expected there to be some 3D elements considering how complicated the designs of the Kishin are, so it's not that surprising they would pop up in other areas as well. As long as the characters are animated by hand I don't really mind it that much even though I'm not a huge fan of 3DCG.
The fact that she's saying she had to cut a lot of material gives me hope that the anime might be a 2 cour adapting the entirety of the Awaji Island arc. There are really only 2 reasonable stopping points for the adaptation: the end of the Daito Mine arc(chapter 42) and the end of the Awaji Island arc(chapter 112). A 1 cour anime covering 42 chapters would have a pacing of ~3.5 chapters per episode which doesn't really sound fast enough to require significant cuts to the story. Fire Force is the closest comparison to that at a ratio of 3.7:1. Kimetsu no Yaiba and Hero Academia are at the lower end for shounen manga adaptations at a ratio of 2:1 while Magi and the early seasons of Nanatsu no Taizai had a ratio above 4:1 when accounting for the special chapters in NNT. A 2 cour anime covering 112 chapters would have a pacing of ~4.5 which definitely would require some cuts and changes, just like what happened with season 1 of Magi which covered 109 chapters in 25 episodes. That seems like the more probable scenario to me if there were enough cuts that the director felt the need to mention them. The studio not having much experience with 2 cour shows is worrying, but it's possible that they've compensated for this with a longer production time or perhaps by splitting the season into two parts.I was watching the crunchyroll stage and the series compositor - Mariko Kunisawa - was pretty much saying how she had to cut/rearrange a lot of the material. She could be talking about the slow pacing it had with the earlier arcs (which is good since the pacing could use a lot of work) or they have to cram a lot of stuff into 1 cour (which is worst case scenario). Like I said before, this studio hasn't done 2 cours in well over a decade...
It's not ideal for the anime to make changes to the source material, but I'll take it if it means that the anime will cover the arc where the series really gets going. I think that's ultimately better for attracting new readers, unless the cuts are so significant that they ruin the flow of the story. Covering the Awaji Island arc in season 1 also means that season 2 can start off from the point where the series went monthly, which involved a kind of re-introduction of the cast and key concepts as well as a slight restructuring of future chapters because of the increase length. It's the perfect intro for season 2 especially if there's a long break between it and season 1. Of course it's also possible that the people involved in the production want to take their time with Orient and will instead opt for a slower pacing similar to some of the recent WSJ manga adaptations.
112 chapters in a single cour is completely out of the question. I don't think I've ever seen an adaptation that comes even close to that. That's almost 10 chapters per episode which leaves like 2 minutes for each chapter after you account for the opening and the ending. Even the most out of touch business executives should realize that would be completely unwatchable.The Magi adaptation did this and it turned out bad imo also I hear that the Ascendance of a Bookworm adaptation (which she worked on), removed important details from the LN. The only section I can see being cut without losing much is chapter 18. Orient is monthly now so it will take a while before it can accumulate more chapters for a potential season 2, so them burning through 100 plus chapters on a single cour seems unlikely.

not the voice i imagined, but then again Shiro is batshit crazy and kinda sadistic mofo, kinda like Dabi (but not as mental and gone) from MHA, who is voiced by the same actor, so its an interesting choice.