Pinoy Hang-Out Thread v. 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Wow, you have metalheads over there? So far EVERYONE I've met from Bacolod only listen to SHIThop and (shit)house... I couldn't think of a good way to insert shit into house...

:offtopic I don't get Haruhi Suzumiya (anime)... Does it have some sort of special charm besides the cute girl with a nice rack?
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
what, no, well, yeah its rare, but metal is bacolod is still going strong. in the 90s you could see metalheads everywhere, especially during the hardcore scene, and death metal scenes. back in high school you'd see a lot of long-haired guys dressed in black. and then came the internet, where everyone became everybody. most concerts in here now are all about E-MO, and funk is on the rise and i'm loving it. but the veterans, the glam and the metal are still going strong, there's always a metal band in every battle of the bands here
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Heh, good to hear that it's striving... You'd think that the metal scene here in Manila would be big, but nah... Once again, filled with emo and sellouts... You'd have to go to smaller, older bars to listen to a good metal band...sigh...
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
the status here, and i think it's the same there, is that emo = fags and metal = men. and it's not just the culture, i mean i've yet to see a veteran here play emo music. all bands who play emo are well, emo. :D the fans reflect that too. i love the punk scene the most, i was there when it was starting up and it was glorious jamming :headbang
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Heh, yeah. Emo's just a phase, it'll wear out soon.
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
i think it's wearing out now. i'm actually basing the scene on what i see on the mall and what i hear on the radio. so far, it's just pop again. lots of "i listen to anything" guys nowadays.... i get pissed off when i hear that :mad "you listen to anything? oh wow cool, what's your favorite noise band?"... i hate being an elitist :(
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
People who "listen to anything" don't bother me, I know they're just dumbasses anyway. I'd like to see people who "listen to anything" give a commentary on the difference between Sabbath with Ozzy and Sabbath with Dio.

I enjoy being elitist, I believe I deserve to be a bit elietist with matters I've spent ages reading and learning about.
 

kuroihikari

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
542
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
To be fair, not everyone who "listens to anything" is a dumbass :D. I, for one, try to listen to everything, so I can give a fair judgment.

There are certain genres I won't listen, too, though if I really want to enjoy my music.
 

kuroihikari

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
542
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Rap and trance, for example, among others. Not that they're all bad, but I find most of them stupid and/or pointless, so I'm better off avoiding them.
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Finally, another person that hates rap and trance/techno/house!
 

kuroihikari

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
542
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Yeah. Trance/techno/house is why you'll never see me in most bars.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
wow...u hate rap? Intresting...O.o;;;;


...Any reasons?
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
@MJ- Same here... I don't like the crowd either...

@Imp- I hate rap and techno, it just doesn't make any sense to me. You can't simply talk fast and call it singing, nor can you "make music" out of pre-recorded material and call it your own (I beleive the term for that is plagiarism). I like bands that actually use REAL instruments, songs with actual progression, and songs that don't just involve foul language and pop references. Me being a musician (not as a profession) also factors in to how I feel about those genres.
 
Last edited:

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
How can you hate rap?
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Rap and trance, for example, among others. Not that they're all bad, but I find most of them stupid and/or pointless, so I'm better off avoiding them.
whaaat?? so you're not listening to anything then :blink

to defend rap, it's a great genre, if you know where to look. when you hear rap, you think souljaboy, 50 cent. i could give you NWA or ATCQ. imagine it as jonas brothers compared to the beegees.

to defend electronic music, it's an otherworld experience. it's like really experiencing a trance. music of the future (back then anyway). i get high listening to trance. even entry-level electronic music is great, like hed kandi
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
To be fair, I did used to listen to Daft Punk. It was the only thing playing in the LAN shop I used to frequent so it got stuck in my head... Though I hear that they're not considered techno...
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
no Daft Punk is techno. and they make great electronic music

and for rap, rap isn't singing, it's mc-ing, or spoken word play. and using pre-recorded music (sampling) is okay as long as you ask for copyright. you know it's not plagiarism because the main purpose of hiphop is to remix, or sample, and then put in beats. there are some that play their own instruments (beastie boys, the roots), but the thing is, not anyone can say, just sample and produce is rap, it's more complex than that if you listen to a lot of defining rap artists. it takes a lot talent and creativity to pull that out.
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
The Beastie Boys is a punk band... or at least they used to be...sigh...

I've tried listening to old hip hop, and the only time I can tolerate it is if I'm stoned... It's all good when you're stoned...

Listening to hip hop or techno actually get me angry... My veins are made of strings and Metal runs through my veins, it's not hard for me to hate hip hop and techno.
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
that's whats great about the beastie boys, they came from punk so they carried that rock music into rap, and they made groundbreaking music in the 80s, that the black hiphop artists themselves admit their 2nd album had the best beats at that time. it was titled paul's boutique, listen to it, just give it a chance, and you'll hear a rap masterpiece at work. it was done almost 20 years ago but the sampling can still beat most of today's. it did a lot of influence
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top