Theory - Possible connections between Ymir and Ilse (Do not read if you have not caught up to chapter 48) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Possible connections between Ymir and Ilse (Do not read if you have not caught up to chapter 48)

ravioliwings

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so for those of you who have caught up in the manga, continue, because this may or may not have a few good spoilers.

You know how that one titan, the one that could talk, mistook Ilse for Ymir? He was bowing to her and saying "Ymir-sama" and such? The resemblance between Ymir and Ilse was fairly obvious, I mean I mistook her myself to be Ymir when she clearly wasn't. Well, after she upset the titan by yelling at it, she wrote in her journal that she was disgusted with her decisions and regretted not doing more for her parents who took to great lengths to raise her. Well, after she was eaten by the titan, it most likely returned to wherever it came from, which was probably somewhere close to Ymir. Since he could communicate, he might have told her how everything went and the fact that he at Ilse. Now, this wouldn't have been such a big deal had the two not had anything to do with each other. This is the last thing Ilse wrote in her notebook: "All I did was acting selfish...I haven't even done anything for my parents who took great pains in raising me.Disgusting....it's all bout to end now..." Now what was a characteristic of Ymir? Selfishness. From this, it is quite easy to guess that the two were most likely siblings. Now, there is a hunch that there are titan clans, at least two of them. One clan is the one Bertholdt,Reiner, and Annie were from, and the other, Ymir's. So if Ymir was indeed in charge of a clan, the titan would have most definitely told her about her sister's death. Ymir could become angry at this. To Ymir, it would seem that her sister joined the Scouting Legion (most likely against their parents' wishes, including Ymir's) and tried to be something she wasn't; human. Ilse may have also been a titan shifter, but she may have refused to make that who she is, so she decided to go against titans and against her family. She was trying to be someone she wasn't. This may explain why Ymir reacts so strongly to those who try to deny who they are or change themselves to fit in. An example is of when she discovers that Sasha doesn't speak in her own dialect that she grew up with, instead switching to what everyone else spoke. Same with Christa, who assumed a new identity and new name. To Ymir, straying from your path as yourself, could mean death, like her sister faced.

Beatrice

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
A bit farfetched to declare them siblings just from that sentence.

It's just Isayama trying to portray the resemblance between the two in order to further emphasize on that she was mistaken for Ymir.

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
didn't ymir recently tell the guys that she roamed around outside the walls for 60yrs or so....I don't think she could have been that girl's sister...

Georgie

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Levi and Hanji discovered Ilse's notebook and I'm sure they read it, especially Hanji. This book probably went to their higher-ups or to an intelligence division in the military (Is that just Hanji and her assistants ?) Didn't anyone notice that there is a trainee named Ymir ? No one was curious about that? It doesn't seem like a popular name. You would think for something as important as the discovery that Titans can speak, and it says the name Ymir, that someone would have looked in to it...I don't know.

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Levi and Hanji discovered Ilse's notebook and I'm sure they read it, especially Hanji. This book probably went to their higher-ups or to an intelligence division in the military (Is that just Hanji and her assistants ?) Didn't anyone notice that there is a trainee named Ymir ? No one was curious about that? It doesn't seem like a popular name. You would think for something as important as the discovery that Titans can speak, and it says the name Ymir, that someone would have looked in to it...I don't know.
ikr...didn't think about it like that...but you are so right

:thumbs

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Levi and Hanji discovered Ilse's notebook and I'm sure they read it, especially Hanji.
It's confirmed they did.
Hanjis attempts at Communication hails from Ilses Note.
And she and Levi recognized (seemingly shocked) the name Ymir when Mikasa mentioned it, yet Hanji stated she doesn't know the names of all recruits hence she didn't know who Christa was either.

Any way:
didn't ymir recently tell the guys that she roamed around outside the walls for 60yrs
And Ilse died one year ago.

Last edited:

Yumpo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wait. When did Ilse died again? Levi said that she died "a year ago," but when did Levi and Hange had that expedition when they took Ilse's belongings? Nowhere did we hear that the 34th expedition took place inside Wall Maria. It seemed like Ilse's Notebook took place before Wall Maria fell. If they took her belongings during the Trost Arc, then it does not make sense. During the Trost arc, the numbered expedition is most likely the 56th since the Female Titan arc was the 57th and no known expeditions happened in between the Trost Arc's and the Female Titan Arc's. The 56th expedition is waaaay too far for it to be just a year after Ilse's death.

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm more concerned about something different.
What happened to her body?

teioh

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Eaten?

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hanji found her Jacket.

SarcasticIndeed

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Montenegro
I wonder why the Titan ripped off the flesh around his eyes. It does not seem to heal and it even appears to me the titan was forcing himself to cry, but because he couldn't do it the regular way, he used what felt the more appropriate.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/16/17
He does seem like he is crying, it is almost as if purposefully he is not regenerating (no steam) and he has a sadder face than most titans.

Nanozom

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Of Course the titan is crying, I mean have you seen the proportions on him?
(Big head, big arms, small legs...)
He wasn´t joking when he said that he was one of "Ymir´s People"
They might even be from the same tribe!
And that would mean that all seven meter class titans might be Ymir´s people.

Oh dear... Maybe the height differences are a racial detail in what tribe they belong to?

the 3-4 meter tribe.
the 11-14 meter tribe
the 7 meter tribe and
the shifter tribe.

Noticed something odd now about the titans that followed the Ape titan around.
No seven meter class, not a single one of them.
Isn´t that weird?

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Let's think logically here for a second.

I need some Music to think this through:

Let me begin by pointing out the Elephant in the Room.
The Titan saw Ymir within Ilse.

There is a glaring aspect of the Titan seeing Ymir within Ilse we have overlooked.
Ilse is a Human Being, yet the Titan recognized Ymir in Human.
Meaning the Titan knows Ymir outside her Titan form, I point out, Ymir was a Titan for 60 years.

That leaves us with two possibilities.
A: The Titan knew Ymir from before.
Or
B: The Titan knew Ymir from when she turned back Human.

I quote Yumpo:
When did Ilse died again?
This is a major clue IMO.
Ilse died at XX.XX.XXX
Titan saw Ymir in Human at YY.YY.YYY

By determining when the Titan might have seen Ymir, we may be able to determine when Ilse died.

I note that Ilse looks like Ymir,and even has the same attitude of selfishness yet, the difference is....hair.

Hair might not seem important at first, BUT see thing is, there is a certain timeframe when Ymir had her hair the same as Ilse.
Nearly exact to be precise.

Now tell me, does she not look like Ilse here?

I've been wondering, why did Isayama portray her with this hairstyle.
Of course it's to resemble Ilse.

To come back to the Titan:
Ymir had a similar hairstyle as Ilse top 3 years ago.
This brings me back to:
When did the Titan see Ymir in Human to see Ilse as her?
Ymir looks the most like Ilse during Training Days so going by that, the Titan may have seen Ymir during that time, around 3 years ago.
And if we go by that, Ilse may have died around the same time considering the Titan recognized Ymir who looked the most like Ilse during that time.

Of course there is the possibility Ymir may have had her hair shorter before the 60 years, but I cannot let go of the thought of "Why are we shown Ymir with hair similar to Ilse during Training Days?"
The training days when Ymir had transformed into a Titan to save a comrade, Dazz.

At least to me, it makes the most sense that the Titan saw Ymir with short hair thus having another reason to mistake Ilse for her rather than just "Freckles".

Just my two cents, scuse if my logic is off, it's nearly 5 am here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Wait, if Ilse only died a year ago, even if assuming Chapter 18.5 happened at the beginning of the story... that's like... 20 expeditions within 5 years??? Am I mistaken about the numbering system, or did they just have a lot of expeditions?

Or if I'm not mistaken, then the Scouting Legion expeditions are a pretty new idea......... If Ilse dies in the year 844, and if I spread about the 34 expeditions evenly prior to 844, then the 1st expedition took place when Eren was something like 5???