Politics - President Obama Wins! Now What? | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Politics President Obama Wins! Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: President Obama Wins! Now What?

Guys, calm down. ^^;

While we're on the subject, though, USA Today did come out with an article that talked about Obama and the Iraq War, coincidentally.

Obama's plan for Iraq about to meet reality said:
By Charles Levinson, USA TODAY

BAGHDAD — Saad Eskander, the director of Iraq's National Library and Archive, will never forget Nov. 20, 2006. That was the day Barack Obama declared Iraq was "descending into chaos" and called for the withdrawal of U.S. troops, in a speech that would define the war policy Obama carried into his historic run for president.

Eskander remembers it for a different reason: "That was the saddest day of my life."

That morning, mortars and gunfire echoed outside Eskander's office in downtown Baghdad. Then, just before noon, he learned that one of his staffers had been shot dead by a sectarian militia while on his way to work.

The slaying bolstered Eskander's belief, shared by most Iraqis during that bloody era of the war, that America was part of the problem in Iraq and U.S. troops should leave.

Since then, Iraq has changed dramatically — and so has Eskander's opinion. Such killings in Baghdad largely have ceased, and Iraqi politicians have resolved some of the sectarian differences that fueled violence. "So much has changed," says Eskander, who fears there could be renewed chaos if Obama withdraws U.S. troops too quickly.

Eskander's story underscores a key question facing Obama as the president-elect prepares to take office Jan. 20: How much, if at all, will his Iraq policy as president differ from the promises he made during his campaign?

Obama's opposition to the Iraq war, and his proposed 16-month timetable for removing U.S. combat troops, was one of the cornerstones of the Democrat's campaign. That platform was forged when more than 100 U.S. troops were dying in Iraq each month, and two-thirds of Iraqis supported attacks against U.S. soldiers, according to a poll Obama referenced in that speech in 2006 to the Chicago Council on Global Affairs.

Since the Bush administration ordered an extra 30,000 troops to Iraq last year, violence has fallen 80% from its all-time high. Fourteen U.S. troops died last month, one short of a record low.

Although al-Qaeda and other militant groups still pose a threat in Iraq, many of the same insurgents who were attacking U.S. forces in 2006 have since switched sides and are among the United States' closest allies.

The changing reality has spurred a rigorous debate among Iraq experts who advised Obama during his campaign and who could play prominent roles in his administration.

Scholars at the Center for American Progress, a Washington think-tank led by Obama's transition co-chairman John Podesta, have urged the president-elect to follow through with his plans for a measured withdrawal. They argue the recent progress in security could lead Iraqi politicians to delay difficult decisions unless they know U.S. troops will leave by a certain date.

Meanwhile, Obama advisers at another Democratic-leaning policy center, Center for a New American Security, have called for more flexibility on the timing and pace of withdrawal. They say that strategy would help avoid a security setback and give Iraqi politicians an incentive to pass legislation, such as an oil revenue-sharing law, that is crucial to a long-term peace.

Obama appeared to allude to that possibility in July when, before departing on a trip to Baghdad, he said he could "refine" his war policy.

Dan Pfeiffer, lead spokesman for Obama's transition office, told USA TODAY that upon taking office Obama will meet with his top advisers and military leadership "to map out a responsible drawdown of U.S. forces in Iraq along the pace and scope he outlined during the campaign."

Some outside observers say that like other U.S. presidents who have taken office in wartime, Obama may have to improvise to a degree that neither he nor his advisers can fathom.

"Obama is going to find he has to chart a different course in Iraq than he campaigned on," says Reidar Visser, who runs the Iraq-focused website historiae.org.

Visser says an emboldened Iraqi government may push back more strongly than Obama expects in negotiations over Iraqi political reforms.

Waiting for Obama

Obama will be dealing with Iraq's fate when his attention — and that of the American public — is mostly focused on the swooning U.S. economy.

The war faded as a major issue during the campaign: 10% of voters cited Iraq in exit polls as the issue that most affected their vote, compared with 62% who chose the economy. Friday, during his first news conference as president-elect, Obama did not mention Iraq. (Iran, Syria and Venezuela did come up.)

But the decisions Obama makes on Iraq will go a long way toward determining his other policies — namely how many troops he can shift to the war in Afghanistan, which he has called a priority in cracking down on al-Qaeda, and how much money he has at his disposal to help boost the economy.

The importance is certainly not lost on politicians and ordinary people in Iraq, where they are closely watching for any sign of how Obama will act.

"We are confident there won't be a change in policy overnight," Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told USA TODAY. "Obama understands that the security gains, political and economic progress that has been achieved here should not be squandered."

Already, Obama is showing signs of differences in style and substance from the Bush administration. When a group of advisers to the Obama campaign visited Iraq last month before the election, they gave a stern warning to local politicians regarding a long-term legal framework for the presence of U.S. troops.

Talks have been deadlocked for months as the Iraqis seek a firm date for U.S. troop withdrawal and the right to prosecute U.S. troops in some instances, raising the prospect that negotiations might not be concluded before Bush leaves office.

Obama's advisers "told us that if we didn't take what the Bush administration was offering on the security deal, then we would likely find ourselves getting much less under the Democratic administration," says Haydar al-Abadi, a Shiite lawmaker who was at the meeting.

Obama spokesman Pfieffer declined to comment on details of the meeting.

Al-Abadi says the meeting confirmed a widespread belief in Iraq that Obama "is not going to be as sympathetic" as Bush to Iraqi politicians. "Iraq is Bush's project," he says. "It's not Obama's."

Making matters more difficult: Iraqi politicians must walk a fine line while catering to their own audience of voters at home. Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has pressed for a firm deadline to get all U.S. troops out of Iraq by 2011. But he also has spoken of the need for the United States to continue training Iraqi soldiers and providing much-needed economic and diplomatic backing.

Provincial elections scheduled for January are likely to make al-Maliki and other Iraqi leaders particularly sensitive to the perception they are being pushed around by Washington — meaning that if Obama pushes too hard for concessions, it could weaken the Iraqi government and erode the security gains.

"Bush had to stop the violence," says Leslie Gelb, a senior fellow at the Council of Foreign Relations, a non-partisan New York think-tank. "Obama has to consider how to end the war while holding on to the significant gains. In many ways, it's a trickier scenario."

'Moderation in his language'

The main decision facing Obama is when, and under what conditions, to withdraw troops.

Even during the campaign, Obama left himself some maneuvering room by saying that, even after U.S. combat troops leave Iraq, he would be open to keeping a sizable — and undefined — contingent of forces there to train and help Iraqi security units.

One of Obama's top foreign policy aides, former Navy secretary Richard Danzig, told NPR this summer that up to 55,000 U.S. troops could remain in that advisory capacity in Iraq — down from 146,000 troops there now.

Gelb notes that late in the campaign Obama seemed to speak of his 16-month timetable less frequently than he did during the Democratic primaries, when his opposition to the war was a key policy difference between him and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

"You saw a kind of moderation in his language and tone, which is exactly what he should be doing," Gelb says.

If Obama sticks to his plan for such a timetable, then the question becomes just how rigid it will be. A recent paper by the Center for a New American Security, whose three authors included Colin Kahl, the coordinator of the Obama campaign's day-to-day working group on Iraq, argued that U.S. support "should hinge on continued progress toward political accommodation." That means Obama's administration would continue military and economic aid as long as Iraq's government met targets for passing key measures such as the oil law.

A report by the Center for a New American Progress says a mere threat to withdraw soldiers and support won't be enough.

"Unless we set a firm withdrawal date and make it clear that our open-ended support has a deadline, the Iraqis aren't going to get serious about what they need to do," says the report's co-author Larry Korb, an informal adviser to the Obama campaign.

Visser, the Iraq analyst, says the disagreement centers on different ideas about what's going on inside Prime Minister al-Maliki's head.

"It comes down to leverage," Visser says. "How does the U.S. get the Iraqi government to do what the U.S. wants it to do?

"Kahl thinks Maliki really wants the U.S. to stay and that if we threaten to leave, he'll come around," Visser says. "Whereas the other view assumes that only when Maliki is faced with the reality of U.S. withdrawal, will he finally make the decisions necessary to hold the country together in the U.S.'s absence."

The challenges ahead

Among the other challenges Obama will face in Iraq:

Healing the wounds between Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds. Though the sectarian killings of 2006-07 have mostly ceased, leaders of the country's main ethnic groups remain deeply suspicious of each other.

The former Sunni insurgents who turned on al-Qaeda (which is led by fundamentalist Sunnis) and helped restore security across much of Iraq remain in limbo.

They're waiting for promised government jobs in Iraq's security forces and elsewhere. There is no oil law guaranteeing equitable distribution of the nation's wealth, and it is unclear whether the disputed oil-rich city of Kirkuk will become part of the Kurdish autonomous region in the north, as many Kurds want.

The provincial elections in January and parliamentary elections that are likely in the fall could go a long way toward resolving some of those tensions.

Maj. Gen. Michael Oates, commander of U.S. forces in most of southern Iraq, has said he would be uncomfortable committing to troop reductions until after the elections play out.

Convincing Iraq to pick up more of the war's cost. U.S. taxpayers foot a war bill of $10 billion a month; the Iraqi government spent less than one-third of the amount set aside in its budget for investment in 2007, according to the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

That cost has taken on even more urgency with the looming recession, a point Obama repeatedly made during the campaign.

Lt. Col. Gregory Baine, a battalion commander in Baghdad, underscored shifting U.S. priorities recently: "We're worrying less about bad guys these days, and more about bad governance."

Getting Iraq's neighbors to cooperate. Iranian influence continues to grow as Tehran's Shiite allies in Iraq cement their hold on government and the security forces. The Shiite militias funded, armed and trained by Iran are largely dormant at the moment, but U.S. commanders have expressed fears that Iran could turn them loose again at any time.

Obama said during the campaign that he would meet with Iran's leaders without preconditions, though he said later that such bilateral talks would require careful preparation.

Amid all the questions, Jalal Eddin al-Saghir, a prominent Shiite cleric and lawmaker, offered one certainty in a conversation last week with Iraqi journalists: "Obama the president," he assured them, "will be different than Obama the candidate."

Contributing: Kathy Kiely in Washington
Longest article from USA Today I've quoted here, but well, it was an interesting enough read.

Last edited:

ssjohn

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Okay, dang guys you talk aloooooooot, it took me forever to read all of this, i have so many points I would love to make but i think most of them have been said already.

Back to guns. There was one case long ago where somebody on a subway train in NYC shot a would-be thief out of self-defense, and he got put in jail for it. So even when you use guns purely out of defense, there's a possibility that you'll get punished for it anyway. I DO feel like our judicial system is broken. And I fear that it will be even more so with Democrats in charge of our government.
I can't remember where, but wasn't there also a case i believe last year or the year before about a would be thief breaking into someones house, the person grabbed their gun, killed the thief but was tossed in jail for it?

I vaguely remember that being all over the news but i don't really remember everything about it so i mite be wrong.

Anyways very interesting article GoldKnight, I am really worried about him pulling the troops out, I mean doesn't the US still have stations in Japan and other countries we have been in war with? I don't think alot of those countries need us there anymore, yet we are still there.

I just worry that he is going to just go in there, pull everyone out, set a get out date of 'June 9th' and then all hell will break loose the day the troops leave and he will have to redeploy troops December 9th, costing the US more money, more lives and more heartache.

thsv

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Okay, dang guys you talk aloooooooot, it took me forever to read all of this, i have so many points I would love to make but i think most of them have been said already.

I can't remember where, but wasn't there also a case i believe last year or the year before about a would be thief breaking into someones house, the person grabbed their gun, killed the thief but was tossed in jail for it?

I vaguely remember that being all over the news but i don't really remember everything about it so i mite be wrong.

Anyways very interesting article GoldKnight, I am really worried about him pulling the troops out, I mean doesn't the US still have stations in Japan and other countries we have been in war with? I don't think alot of those countries need us there anymore, yet we are still there.

I just worry that he is going to just go in there, pull everyone out, set a get out date of 'June 9th' and then all hell will break loose the day the troops leave and he will have to redeploy troops December 9th, costing the US more money, more lives and more heartache.
That happened in the UK. A farmer called Tony Martin shot a 14 year old burglar. I think he ended up doing 5 years for it. Served his full sentence too because he wouldn't admit he was wrong. And you think your system is broken?

And your troops stationed in Japan and South Korea are there in case China ever moves on Taiwan and North Korea ever decides to attempt to reunite the Korean peninsula by force...again!

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
North Korea

To iraq i say good riddens, i could give two shits about some guy screaming something about Allah and blowing himself and some people i don't know up, Thats why i voted for obama. Not to mention john mccain is 80+ and if he died palin woulda been president and i woulda assasinated her myself. But i think its pretty clear regardless of whatever obama does republicans and as i like to call them that *Evil* white elite (Those evil fucks who control stuff) have pretty much milked usa for all it has and they let a black man win cause they and all their ancestors will be rich for a super long time. 2 people got shot and killed in iraq yesterday 6 wounded. Moar cnn imo.
You're missing the point, it's not about caring about the suicide bombers but the innocent people who die from these bombings. Just because you don't know those people who died, that shouldn't make you have no care for them. That's like how Al Qaeda didn't give a crap about all those people who died in 9/11.

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Man, this is what happens when you start to get back into the swing of employment. I've been too tired the past few days to come and check this thread and now I'm behind never to catch up again... I'll try though.

KnuckleheadedNinja

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

To iraq i say good riddens, i could give two shits about some guy screaming something about allah and blowing himself and some people i don't know up, Thats why i voted for obama. Not to mention john mccain is 80+ and if he died palin woulda been president and i woulda assasinated her myself. But i think its pretty clear regardless of whatever obama does republicans and as i like to call them that *Evil* white elite (Those evil fucks who control stuff) have pretty much milked usa for all it has and they let a black man win cause they and all their ancestors will be rich for a super long time. 2 people got shot and killed in iraq yesterday 6 wounded. Moar cnn imo.
Wow, that got to be the most ignorant, BS i have read. So, just because you don't know the people getting blow up means you shouldn't care about them getting blow up?

yal

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Well, of course they're ALL going to be pretty left. Obama is as left as you can possibly get in the US.
*fixed

The truthful, and non-PC truth of the matter Is that Obama won because of the color of his skin, and all of those that share the same color. Simple....Even though he Is actually half-black....You wouldn't know that though, because the media has painted him as the Black Messiah.

BTW, well educated people would know why they were representing a candidate, not blind voting for one because it's 'progressive'.
Not. Read my other post. Hispanics; Religion, Overall voting behavior - Figures to be taken with care, as the election was too recently and so the interpretation of voting behavior in 2008 has only begun. But basically you can see that minorities favored Obama, but that he gained more from the Hispanics than the actual blacks. Therefor your conclusion is confuted(?).

Racism will never go away, no country will ever overcome it completely.
True and that's partly because this is a stance many have.

Yes, just because the black community overwhelmingly votes Democrat that just completely writes off the fact that it was race based?
Nope, but as you can see from my answer above the effects Obama had were lower than it had on the Hispanics. Also it means that the effect of Obama's race might've been washed away by the general HIGH supportive of the blacks for the democrats and therefore scientifically & statistically not proven & measurable.

It's simply an observation from myself, who visited the majority of voting sites in my area and saw the kind of people that were voting for Obama vs the kind of people that were voting for McCain.
This is a highly subjective observation, made at a specific time at a specific place and still not even true at that time and at that place. Your prior colored perspective (from your socialization/PID) clouds your judgment and so the observation you made probably does neither reflect reality nor is it the truth. Somebody else being at your place at the same specific time might have seen the exact opposite. What you see/perceive != the reality, just your subjective truth. And your truth is totally unimportant in an objective analysis of who voted whom.
Obama won a huge majority among those with low or moderate annual incomes (60% of those making less than $50,000 a year). Yet he also made striking gains among the most affluent voters: more than half (52%) of those with annual incomes of $200,000 or more favored Obama while 46% supported McCain. Four years ago, Kerry won just 35% of these high-income voters.

Don't tell me that It wasn't racially motivated, when you have Chris Rock on his latest stand up telling everyone in the audience to vote for Obama just because "we need a strong black man in Office". That tells me that It's racially motivated, but maybe not you.
a) You don't know if that actually had any effect on the actual voting behaviour, b) you only know that it's one of the voting reasons of Chris Rock, c) people vote for the person that they think represents them best, for Chris Rock it's Obama (apparently because he's black, but maybe more because no white guy represented the blacks well enough?), d) there are also people who voted for McCain, because they didn't like Obama being black. What I'm saying is that, yes, for some people the race probably was the motivation, but till now there has been no evidence that the skin colour was the MAIN reason, like you declare it to be.

It's been proven time and time again that the easiest to influence In America Is our youth, and combined with the media and popular television backing Obama so that even his shit didn't stink, how big of a surprise is it that the youth backed Obama?
Uhh, I sense a CONSPIRACY! Ever thought why the intellectual elite rather wanted Obama than John McCain to win? Or why the (intellectual) youth does?

Media influence: Time and time again there's been empirical evidence presented that the media only has a moderate influence in voting behavior. The "hypodermic syringe theory" declared obsolete. (Read Lazarsfeld's "The People's Choice" and if you want to know more Lipset & Rokkan's Party Systems and Voter Alignments, though you won’t read it anyway, because you repress/ignore information that goes against your own belief system)

Alan Smithee, you dont live in America, thus you dont know half of what youre talking about so dont tell off someone else's personal experience just because of what you read/hear overseas. If you were here in America to witness all this, youd have more credibility to your statements.
Actually NO. I remember how hard I laughed when the Chinese were saying "You don't live in China, so you don't know anything about Chinese history and our problems with Tibetans!" You don't have to live in a specific country to know about it or to have credible knowledge about it. The fact that you don't live in the country means that you are usually more objective/neutral to most things that happen in there, because you're not emotionally bound. Eye-witnesses usually have a very low credibility in anything you analyse: in crimes, in history etc..

Your interest greatly reflects your knowledge. If you're REALLY interested in America, it's pretty easy to know more about America than 80% of the people who live there. Your opinion would also be more objective and mature. You see things more clearly and are even able to compare it.

Personal experience doesn't mean anything, because you should never generalize from an experience. Just because you saw a few Obama voters looking "unpleasant" doesn't mean that EVERY Obama voter does. Just because every McCain voter looked pleasant doesn't mean that ever McCain voter does. It doesn't even mean that it's the case for the majority. Your observation is limited to your place & time and your subjective observation.
I dont know where D3M1URG3 is located but where I am in florida, I saw the EXACT same thing.
What a surprise! Two people with the same opinion and seemingly the same PID see the same at dif. places! Now you only have to ask all the Americans in whole country if they saw the same and then it just might be an indicator that it's true. But an indication is still a long way off from a fact or a proof.

Now onto Obama:
I basically agree with what Joseph S. Nye said in an interview with SPON (in German). Obama is a good choice for America and the better one, because he does what McCain wouldn't have been able to: he regenerates america#s "SOFT POWER". I don't particularly care about America's internal policies so I wont comment on this, but as an enlightened being (I'm using "enlightened" in the meaning of this: Enlightment, I'm very happy & relieved that Sarah Palin didn't get a shot at being VP.
We’ll see how Obama will do overall, but the gesture went into the right direction, away from the intolerant, ignorant, to-know-nothing-is-cool American to well… not sure yet.

Dhazard

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Last edited:

S2S4

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Madagascar

Yes we can ~ Obama

redcometfm

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Yes we can ~ Obama
I dunno about you guys but South Park totally ruined that line for me. Everytime I think of that line, I think of Stan's dad and all the other Obama supporters when theyre drunk, "Woo, change!" lmao

Just like they ruined PF Chang's. I cant stop laughing everytime I pass one. :s

Franckie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

I'm not a fan of Obama, but he appears to have a knack for organization. Hopefully the discipline instilled in his campaign will rub off on the federal bureaucracy (unlikely but I can still hope :p) and things will actually get done for once, such as revamping this nation's healthcare system. I'm not expecting great things out of him, but I do expect events to be better than what they currently are when Obama's term expires four years from now.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Thanks, you're right, in the US, lol.

I'm sorry I haven't really been updating this thread with further news items guys. I figured you gents would be keeping up with the news too anyway.

And Franckie, I expect things to look better on the surface 4 years from now, too. The fears I have are what will we sacrifice for it, exactly? And will it only be short-term? Will it be a lull that lures us into thinking everything is peachy and sweet, before utter catastrophe strikes? And I DO consider myself an optimist, haha.

I'll likely be 45 before I really can judge Obama's presidency as a success or not for the country.

Last edited:

thsv

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Got to give it to him. Making Hilary his Secretary of State means she can't cause hassle for him in the Senate.

miyi

Reaction score
Country
United States

congratulations to President-elect Obama, as someone who was favoring McCain, I will gladly support our new President, even though I will certainly not agree with him in many occasion. That's what makes democracy in America great, in my opinion, because we have been for the past two hundred or so years been able to peacefully transfer power between political parties, with the exception of the Civil War, and we've been able to manage and still make America great.

I think Obama will have to deal with many problems, and his job will perhaps be the most difficult, given the current political international climate, since, I would say, Franklin Roosevelt, during the Great Depression and World War II, the so-called "twin crisis".

Just recently, there's been attacks in Mumbai, India, by suspected terror groups (possibly involving the disputed territory of Kashmir between Pakistan and India which spawned several conflicts since post-Independence).

Obama will have to treat this situation delicately, so as not to further any potential tension between Pakistan and India, which are both "nuclear powers". And with the nomination of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, already there's been concern that she has had the habit of a pro-India bias.

Another potential problem we'll be dealing with is the recent display by Russia of arming our anti-American neigbor, Hugo Chavez' Venezuela, with weapons, war ships, which they are now dubbing "Russia-Venezuela 2008", as well as their recent public display of joint military "training exercises", which hasn't happened since the Soviet Union collapsed before the end of the Cold War. Additionaly, we don't know who'll succeed Hugo Chavez, since Venezuelans rejected the idea of him running for re-election, but who knows if Chavez will be willing to give up power in the near future.

Of course, we have the more immediate problem of dealing with the Financial international crisis, and that's a tall order in and of itself, whoever would have been the next President. I am not sure which economic policy would be a good idea, whether we should adopt a "protectionist" or a "free market" policy, or something of a hybrid...but I hope Obama will be able to steer America, as well as the rest of the world economy, away from a recession, at the very least, I hope he can slow down this free-fall (Herbert Hoover was able to slow the free-fall, but he wasn't able to eliminate the Great Depression....FDR was able to do so, only as a consequence of World War II).

The War on Terror is another annoyance which we would have to deal with, and I'm guessing this will continue for decades, if not, for the remainder of this century, maybe longer.

These are tough times, and Obama will need to avoid President Bush' mistake of dealing with one crisis at a time, and losing track of other equally important crises. Obama will have to multi-task, and he'll need the support of brilliant cabinet members and supporters, and so far, I'm satisfied with his nominations, although I could have probably preferred other candidates...but that's just me.

It seems like Obama is changing America's foreign policy away from unilateral (Bush doctrine), towards a more multilateral/internationalist approach (sort of like Woodrow Wilson's League of Nations, which later became the UN)..in my opinion though, I think Wilson was an idealist and misguided, and hopefully Obama doesn't solely rely on international systems, since I've argued in this forum how virtually ineffective the UN can be.

For now though, it's still too early to make predictions of Obama's policies. What I do hope is that he takes the middle ground and stay away from some of his earlier Democratic Primary "promises". I'd like for him to be a hard-liner when necessary....people compare him to JFK....well, he was without a doubt, a hard-liner, and not a "dove", as so many people I know believed he was.

Last edited:

redcometfm

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Obama's choice of Eric Holder bugs me. The man could have let us stop 9/11 if he had only let us access that one of the 20 terrorists who didnt board the plane's laptop. Because of his legal arguments, he allowed it to happen. Of course I understand he couldn't have known but still. I hope this guy's poor judgment doesnt lead to another disaster. We already have a predicted nuke/bio-terror attack within the next 5 years, we don't need this guy helping it happen.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Got to give it to him. Making Hilary his Secretary of State means she can't cause hassle for him in the Senate.
And keeping Gates on as Secretary of Defense was a pretty interesting move as well.

Sometimes I can't help but be incredibly skeptical of Obama's rhetoric. He claims "the buck will stop with him" but it almost seems like he's depending on experienced people to do the work that was expected for him to "solve."

Not that he's doing the wrong thing, but he's definitely a politician through and through.

@ Miyi, nice to see you back. Hadn't seen you post here in awhile.

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

And keeping Gates on as Secretary of Defense was a pretty interesting move as well.

Sometimes I can't help but be incredibly skeptical of Obama's rhetoric. He claims "the buck will stop with him" but it almost seems like he's depending on experienced people to do the work that was expected for him to "solve."

Not that he's doing the wrong thing, but he's definitely a politician through and through.
Gathering others to aid him in trying to ameliorate the country's current condition seems to be keeping in line with much of Obama's rhetoric throughout the campaign. He was constantly saying how collaboration rather than unilateral action is needed for which he was sometimes criticized being called "soft." Creating a strong support structure for his government always struck me as one of the first things he would do.

mrcongojack

Reaction score
Country
United States

Apparently the debate over Obama's citizenship is making it's way to the Supreme Court.
he U.S. Supreme Court will decide Friday whether to take up a case over president-elect Barack Obama’s citizenship — one of a few around the country seeking to nullify his election, but this one has an interesting lineage. It was referred to the high court by Justice Clarence Thomas, the court’s only African-American justice.

Maybe Thomas is just returning the favor — putting through a case that questions whether Obama should be president, after Obama said he wouldn't have picked Thomas for the high court.

The suit filed against New Jersey Secretary of State Nina Mitchell Wells contests Obama’s claims to citizenship and therefore to the presidency and initially sought to stay the election. Alan Keyes, who was defeated by Obama in a race for the U.S. Senate in 2004, has filed a similar suit.

During the campaign, a copy of Obama’s birth certificate was posted on his website, showing that he was born in Hawaii. A petition to stop the Electoral College from confirming Obama as the next president has been rejected by Justice David Souter.

Legal experts say the case has little chance of going anywhere.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16225.html

I don't see how this is news. Obama's put up his birth certificate

http://www.fightthesmears.com/articles/5/birthcertificate

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

He went to Indonesia, and the fact is that they don't support dual citizenship. So the biggest argument is that he forfeited his citizenship at a young age, and thus is not a natural born or something another. Its bullshit and there are quite a few lawyers who would love to be in the history books as the one to denounce President Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.