Seinen - Priest by Hyung Min Woo | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Priest by Hyung Min Woo

thorsama

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
I noticed that there wasn't a topic on this board about this awesome Manwha by Min Woo Hyung so I wanted to start a discussion topic that is open to anything and everything about the manwha. For those that aren't familiar with Priest here's a brief synopsis off Tokyopop's website:

In the frontier of the American West, a veil of evil threatens to engulf humanity. Servants of the fallen archangel Temozarela are paving the way for their dark lord's resurrection. One man stands in the way of the apocalypse: Ivan Isaacs, a fallen priest who sold his soul to the devil Belial for the power to fight evil. Armed with a wicked blade and silver bullets, Ivan will give the heretics a baptism of blood in his pilgrimage for humanity's redemption. An epic journey across hundreds of years and spanning the globe, Priest is the most ground-breaking manga to come from the new entertainment hotbed of Korea.

I would like to hear any and all opinions, and thank you very much if you took the time to visit this topic and posted. Have a good one!

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: Priest: Open discussion on the manwha

Find me a translator (and raws) and I'll get my group to scanlate it. Hell, I'll do all of the work. ;o

That's my part of the discussion. ;p

Very, very good manhwa.

zombietoaster

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

I like everything about it... except that it sometimes goes very long times without drama, and sometimes very long times without action. it could use abit more balancing.(not saying that all chapters must have both drama and action. but going several books with only one of them, thats abit to much)

emceeTHEORY

Reaction score
Priest Manga

I've read through volume 9 and I do have to say that this is one of the more engrossing series I have read. Would any of you out there know where to find all the other volumes up to 15?

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Merged with the other Priest thread.

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada

emceeTHEORY said:
I've read through volume 9 and I do have to say that this is one of the more engrossing series I have read. Would any of you out there know where to find all the other volumes up to 15?
Buy them.

mad_hatter_md01

Reaction score
Country
United States

This series is perhaps one of my favorite ever. The storyline is so original and makes you beg for more each vol. I just wish there was another series after this. Im just glad that theyre actually making a live-action version of this in the US being directed by Sam Remy.

thorsama

Reaction score

Yeah, I heard that there is gonna be a live action movie. But I'm kinda disappointed already. They've completely changed the story, Ivan isn't an undead priest looking for revenge anymore. Instead he's a vampire hunter who is trying to rescue his niece. And the movie isn't going to take place in the old west either, it's gonna be a post apocalyptic western like setting in the future. Which is gonna suck, because it might end up being just like Van Helsing.

fatboy812000

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

i really loved this manwha then it suddenly disappeared from the net im assuming it got liscenced or sumthin but it was wayyy intense the characters were crazy ,and the story was 1 of the best ive read. is any1 one scanning it? or do i have to start scouring the anime stores .
n.b - asper the live action movie, sucks they messed with the story(hollywood always does) but lets keep an open mind who know it may actually be nice

SchmoDawg

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score

Is there any Edited Mangas available for it or at least some raws??? sounds interesting.

mad_hatter_md01

Reaction score
Country
United States

Id recommend buying the series now that its completed. The final vol 15 came out several months ago...though i still have yet to pick it up :crying

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada

15 is the last volume?

I see.

Thanks for the info.

thorsama

Reaction score

Is 15 really the last volume? Because that doesn't seem possible. The way the story was heading I'd expect at least 10 more. Seriously. There's a lot of story content and some of the other arch-angels haven't even been introduced.

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada

It isn't the last volume.

I looked on TokyoPop's site, and apparently there's v16 that'll be released in a few months.

fatboy812000

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

really loved this the art was diff and the character development was cool ,really happy ive got a vey open mind and cos am christian and this manwha really has some deep / crazy religious twists was fine though cos above all the story rocked. hell hath no fury like a sawed off scatter gun :pwned!!!

inerstrength

Reaction score
Country
United States
Priest

Anyone want to know about a Manhwa called Priest??

Priest tells the story of humanity's battle against 12 fallen angels, led by the archangel Temozarela. Despite having fought for God in the battle against Lucifer, Temozarela and his cohorts shortly thereafter find that God had lost interest in them. Upon finding God has focused his attention on humans they decide to rebel against God in light of God's favoritism towards the human race. They descend upon Earth to 'play God' among the humans who build a temple and statues for them. For their rebellion and acts against humanity, God destroyed their temple and their statues were cast underground, with their souls being trapped within the statues.

It was centuries later that a Holy Knight called Vascar De Gullion, a killer of heretics in the name of God, found Temozarela. After his wife and children were burned alive, Vascar De Gullion 'loses faith' and wanders the earth in a 'blood rage,' leaving a wake of slaughter wherever he goes. His journey comes to an end when he discovers a hidden cave with the statues of the 12 fallen angels. Temozarela talks Vascar De Gullion into giving his body to him in the hopes of gaining revenge on God.

It is again centuries later that Vascar De Gullion is found alive and sentenced to be judged as a Heretic by Betheal, a powerful priest. Upon dealing with Vascar De Gullion, Betheal discovers from Vascar De Gullion that he is not who he is meant to be, but rather Temozarela. Temozarela plays with Betheal's only pride and joy in life, a child he saved from a heretic sacrifice. The fallen angel manipulates the child into brutally slaughtering a young woman, taking her arms and heart, and setting up a blasphemous ritual room with her blood. Once Betheal sees what his child had done, he instead sees Temozarela laughing and ends up killing the child with his own hands. Betheal loses faith in God also and Temozarela takes Betheal under his wing as one of his disciples. Instead of turning in favor of Temozarela, Betheal acts as the Judas in this story, betraying Temozarela. Betheal devotes his life to study a way to trap Temozarela so that people can be free from him. This came in heretic invention of the Domas Porada. Betheals body is needed to be the key in keeping the lock on this 'cage' locked. With his soul trapped inside the Domas Porada, Betheal enters a new life altogether with the power he gained from turning away from God. He is a now a kind of demon, called Belial.

Ivan Isaacs, the hero, is called upon to solve the puzzle that the Domas Porada presents. Upon solving it Ivan is cast onto a cross after witnessing his only love, Gena, die in his arms. It is then that Belial takes Ivan, who in the madness of losing Gena denounces God. Ivan is reborn as an immortal serving Belial. Because of Gena's death Ivan devotes himself for vengeance against Temozarela and his men.

The Priest story spans three distinct time periods; modern times, the Crusades and the Wild West, although it is primarily focused on the last period. Whilst featuring a large cast of heroes, anti-heroes and villains, a number of which enjoying in depth and detailed character development within the plot, the lead antagonist of Priest is Temozarela, whilst the main protagonist is Ivan Isaacs, a now immortal, 19th century priest who sold his soul to Belial, a former priest turned devil, in the pursuit of revenge and redemption after unwittingly unleashing Temozarela from the Domas Porada, a prison of sorts constructed by Belial (then Betheal) to imprison Temozarela.

Think of it as neon genesis evangelion, except there are no Evas and it is based in the wild west :D

[eni]Merged with existing thread^^ [/eni]

Last edited by a moderator:

jackalan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Priest

I knew it from last year and I kinda notice less about it. I just so admitted about the Art. It attracted me so badly I was kinda telling myself it was one of the best. I don't know how great it is but there are also a film so I was threat. Wow, manhwa's becoming Hollywood movie, how good the manhwa has to be to has been considered to make a movie.

I was even curious more about it and then today, it's just popped up in my head and I downloaded its first volume and I amazed. It was so damn damn damn good and I couldn't resist of it anymore and I keep downloaded till volume 11 (and it was ended there in the website). And now I stopped it for a moment and went here. It's great. Excellent. Masterpiece. Maybe girls like Blood Trinity and I'll say about Believing stuffs, for boys, has to be this - Priest.

Absolutely love it.

Incredibly Awesome.

I don't know but it's the second comic amazed me this year after "Claymore" (And I have to say, I don't know why in Japan the anime of "Claymore" is so hot but I don't think it's worth to watch, I more prefer manga). "Claymore" is out so slow now but I have "Priest" so I don't think my time would waste on waiting for "Claymore" anymore.

I think Priest out for 16 volumes already, and I remembered that Hyung Min-Woo said in the short interview in the back of a volume (can't remember) that it would be 25 volumes for "Priest" or would be more or less, he's not sure yet.

Q: Anybody knows where to download "Priest" till volume 16 because I don't think in Aus has Priest anyway?

P/s: Best Manhwa I've ever read, one of my "Top 10 Best Comics".

I still has something quite don't understand much yet: Why does Temorazela left Ivan in peace and not kill him instead when he rescued by the other followers? And then he's not allowing the followers to kill Ivan, left him and gave him arm of Achmode -> more power then he would reach his goal...???

So, he wants it's tough, someone's tough to fight him to see Why does God choose humans???

Couldn't understand! TT_____TT

Last edited:

TheGenius

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Canada

About the movie :

Sam Raimi and Gerard Butler dropped off the project, so no movie.

But I'm actually glad cause they would've blasphemy their way trough it! That is why sometimes, I hate American executive producers way of working with non-american stories...not ballsy enough. But Michael Bay rocks!

PorkSword

Reaction score
Country
United States

that synopsis sounds badass, i need to check this one out, haha

TheGenius

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Anyone knows where to find the latest books on the net? Can't buy it here in Canada...