Discussion Raijinshuu Thread

Selly

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I've looked through all the pages but didn't find such a thread or a similar one, so of course ( as huge Raijin fan ) I just have to start one!

The Raijinshuu is without doubt my favorite team in the entire series and I love all three of them, with Freed being my ultimate favorite character.

In my opinion they belong to the most interesting and complex characters in the FT guild, not just because of their characters but also because their magics are devilishly unique. Mashima could do so much more with these characters - they are super badass and strong, have a great team work, work super great as solo fighters too and then on the other hand they are just ultimate dorks with so much heart even though it sometimes didn't/doesn't seem this way.

I still hope to get something to learn about their pasts, too, since we know NOTHING. How did they find Fairy Tail? Why did they become so close to Laxus? Why did Makarov tell Freed of all people to watch over Laxus? How did the four of them become such close friends? What did they look like as cute little kids? What were their pasts like?

I bet they didn't have an easy one either, especially because of their eye magics which could get out of hand and be really dangerous if something goes wrong - Ever can turn people to stone with just a glance, Bixlow can control souls and Freed has torture magic plus even a spell that causes direct death.

I'm always disappointed when Mashima gets rid of them and literally squeal over every single panel they get and I really hope that they will become active once more in this ARC, especially since it seems that their injuries are not as bad as in the Tartarus ARC and I mean Erza was hella injured as well and was allowed to go fight nonetheless.

So um... this thread is one dedicated to them and discussions around these three? I just had to create one :)

juviichan

Reaction score
Country
Israel
we dont know anything about their families, also. i think that when Freed got his own eye magic, and could`nt control this and killed his family and he started to wender here and there, just because he was scered to get in a touch with other people. i think the similiar thing happend to Ever and Bickslow, however.... after sometime those 3 had ran to each other and started to spend a lot of time together, and few weaks has passed and Makarov found them while looking for Laxus or something, and they`re helping him to find Laxus and the one who found him is Laxus, is Freed. anyway, a day has passed, and then they had went to their own path. for exm: Freed joined FT, with a promise that he will protect Laxus at all costs.
and about the fights... im upset about this that in tartaros arc they were injured from the start, im really miss to their fights. i think Mashima gets rid of them because they`re only Laxus`s bodyguards, after all.
its only what i think
im really wanna know more about them, too,

BluePegasus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I've always liked the Raijinshuu as well, especially Freed. A lot of people see them as a side team who are far below Laxus his level, but I disagree. In fact, I think these mages are really powerful!

Freed's magic may be the mightiest magic in Fairy Tail, because it can do a lot of things. Dark Ecriture is a really powerful magic. As we've seen, Freed can easily torture or kill someone. He has a high defense level since only Nullification Magic can outcast his runes. And with Absolute Shadow, he is almost equal with Mira's Satan Soul. I'd say Freed should be the next S-Class Wizard, to be honest.

As for Bickslow and Evergreen, they're a really dangerous opponent since you can't fight them while looking in their eyes. Bickslow was stronger than Gray in the Battle of Fairy Tail arc. But I think current Gray has surpassed him. I'll place Bickslow and Evergreen as equals with Wendy.

Selly

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think the same, regarding the family aspect! I can easily imagine that all of them had one hell of a hard time and not really a childhood. I don't think they had many friends and felt very lonely for a very long time until they found Fairy Tail and each other. I'm convinced that Laxus must have to do something with their membership - maybe he found one of them, helped them or something similar.

To me Freed alway seemed like someone who grew up in a similar home as Lucy - wealthy and rich.

I'm not sure why Mashima tends to leave them out a lot. I always thought it might also be because of their magics. Whenever they get a fight ( for instance also the one against Wahl ) their eye magics ( at least Ever and Bixlow's since they require eye-contact ) don't work and it always seems to me as if Mashima does it on purpose. Freed's magic ( Dark Écriture and Jutsu Shiki ) could easily be OP, too, if Mashima would use him properly.

They are very badass and I also liked their very first appearance. They still don't fear to get their hands dirty and I'd love to see them in action way more. So I really hope that we will see them in this ARC still.

I'm also curious to know how Freed became the title as 'The Dark'. Must be connected with his magic for sure but I'm one hundred percent sure that he must have killed in the past as well. I mean, when he starts to fight totally serious then he goes absolutely savage and ruthless.

I just love all three of them and am super happy about every single piece we get.

Libarian

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the same, regarding the family aspect! I can easily imagine that all of them had one hell of a hard time and not really a childhood. I don't think they had many friends and felt very lonely for a very long time until they found Fairy Tail and each other. I'm convinced that Laxus must have to do something with their membership - maybe he found one of them, helped them or something similar.

To me Freed alway seemed like someone who grew up in a similar home as Lucy - wealthy and rich.

I'm not sure why Mashima tends to leave them out a lot. I always thought it might also be because of their magics. Whenever they get a fight ( for instance also the one against Wahl ) their eye magics ( at least Ever and Bixlow's since they require eye-contact ) don't work and it always seems to me as if Mashima does it on purpose. Freed's magic ( Dark Écriture and Jutsu Shiki ) could easily be OP, too, if Mashima would use him properly.

They are very badass and I also liked their very first appearance. They still don't fear to get their hands dirty and I'd love to see them in action way more. So I really hope that we will see them in this ARC still.

I'm also curious to know how Freed became the title as 'The Dark'. Must be connected with his magic for sure but I'm one hundred percent sure that he must have killed in the past as well. I mean, when he starts to fight totally serious then he goes absolutely savage and ruthless.

I just love all three of them and am super happy about every single piece we get.
I think you're right about their magic it is rather op if it works and if it doesn't they could come off as weak or kind of dim witted for not getting around such weakness.

They really do top the "Backstory Please" list for me , well maybe not Evergreen she bugs me, but if anyone is good at art we need a comic panel of her and mavis's reaction to seeing Wendy's fairy like DF:zomg I said it the moment that I saw that form.:XD

Kiki

Anija's Right Hand Man
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
All I can say is, yes, they deserve backstories. Not too long is still okay, I wouldn't mind it. I thank that ^^

Shiki-No-Ryū

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I've looked through all the pages but didn't find such a thread or a similar one, so of course ( as huge Raijin fan ) I just have to start one!

The Raijinshuu is without doubt my favorite team in the entire series and I love all three of them, with Freed being my ultimate favorite character.

In my opinion they belong to the most interesting and complex characters in the FT guild, not just because of their characters but also because their magics are devilishly unique. Mashima could do so much more with these characters - they are super badass and strong, have a great team work, work super great as solo fighters too and then on the other hand they are just ultimate dorks with so much heart even though it sometimes didn't/doesn't seem this way.

I still hope to get something to learn about their pasts, too, since we know NOTHING. How did they find Fairy Tail? Why did they become so close to Laxus? Why did Makarov tell Freed of all people to watch over Laxus? How did the four of them become such close friends? What did they look like as cute little kids? What were their pasts like?

I bet they didn't have an easy one either, especially because of their eye magics which could get out of hand and be really dangerous if something goes wrong - Ever can turn people to stone with just a glance, Bixlow can control souls and Freed has torture magic plus even a spell that causes direct death.

I'm always disappointed when Mashima gets rid of them and literally squeal over every single panel they get and I really hope that they will become active once more in this ARC, especially since it seems that their injuries are not as bad as in the Tartarus ARC and I mean Erza was hella injured as well and was allowed to go fight nonetheless.

So um... this thread is one dedicated to them and discussions around these three? I just had to create one :)

Yay, another Raijinshuu fan!
I agree with everything you said. They are such unique characters, but Mashima often leaves them out for some reason. I really hope we'll get to know more about them in future chapters, perhaps we'll get some more flashbacks from Laxus.

We do know that Ever joined the guild only because of the name and I like to think she used to be very lonely, until she met her bffs. Though I still want to know every single detail about how and why she came across Fairy Tail and why she is so obsessed with fairies (cause there has to be something more behind that) I also want to know more about het magic, we only get to see 2 or 3 spells every time she battles, which is not often. Same goes for Bickslow. It's almost like Mashima doesn't really care about it, even though they trained too during their time at Blue Pegasus, so they should at least have learned some new spells.

Speaking of which, Bickslow's magic is really interesting. I mean, he sees souls. Human souls, people, that's like, really cool. I have so many questions concerning that. For example, was he born with that power? What does a soul look like? Does a soul show the feelings a person has at that moment? Where do souls go when people die? Where and how did Bickslow get his babies? Are they souls of people he killed or people he cared about? And if souls really show ones feelings wouldn't it be really creepy to see them all the time? Imagine seeing the souls of murderers, psychopaths etc and seeing all the lies people tell reflected in their soul. I would definitely lose faith in society. What I'm trying to say is that because he sees human souls, Bickslow should have a totally different view on people and the world in general and that's what makes him a really interesting and complex character and I love him so much.
(Btw, somewhere during their battle with Wahl it is mentioned that Bickslow has black magic and Ever white/fairy magic. I'm really hoping for a unison raid between those two)

And Freed. Freed is just... he is just perfect. I too think he grew up in a wealthy environment, and I have this massive headcannon that he was a VERY rebellious teenager. I don't really know why, I just think it suits him to be a rebel. Anyways, if he grew up rich, much like Lucy, I don't want the reason for leaving be similar to Lucy's. I want all three of them to have a unique background and for Mashima to put some effort in them.
Also, one of the first things we get to know about him is that he loves musical instruments, so I think he and Laxus have the same love for music. Maybe they even became friends because of that?
I love that Freed got some powerups during the timeskip. I was so hyped when he cast the Jutsu Shiki barrier around the whole town, meaning he got even stronger and the fact that he taught Laxus his magic almost made me scream. I want to see more of their teamwork and him (+ Bickslow and Ever) fighting alongside Laxus. We mostly get to see Laxus saving them, nothing more, which is good, but them working together like a real team (cause Laxus is technically part of their team, imo) would be awesome and really epic and totally OP.

Firepower

Banned
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought it was hilarious when Freed was scrubbing Laxus back, and then giving him a massage. Someone asked why Freed looked so happy and he denied it. I can't tell if Freed is in love with Laxus or just has strong administration for him as a friend and leader. There's a fine line between those feelings, and I think Freed is close to that line, if not on it.

Kiki

Anija's Right Hand Man
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I thought it was hilarious when Freed was scrubbing Laxus back, and then giving him a massage. Someone asked why Freed looked so happy and he denied it. I can't tell if Freed is in love with Laxus or just has strong administration for him as a friend and leader. There's a fine line between those feelings, and I think Freed is close to that line, if not on it.
I would put my money on your second statement. I view it as a relationship between the right hand and his leader and a right hand's loyalty feelings towards his leader.

Firepower

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would put my money on your second statement. I view it as a relationship between the right hand and his leader and a right hand's loyalty feelings towards his leader.
I just noticed that I was auto corrected and I said administration instead of admiration. lol Yeah likely, but it's funny how much love he got for Laxus that it can be misleading.

Selly

Reaction score
Country
Germany
All I can say is, yes, they deserve backstories. Not too long is still okay, I wouldn't mind it. I thank that ^^
I agree!! I would be more than happy with just a few pieces of information! Maybe just one chapter with basics or something like that. There's just SO MUCH we don't know!!

At the moment we really can't tell. I mean I admit that I'm a huge Fraxus shipper because I just think that their devotion towards each other and the trust is immense. Laxus trusts no one else like he trusts Freed and it's the same way the other way round. They just have such a strong bond ( Bicks and Ever too though, but with Freed it still feels a little different somehow? ) that I could imagine that it's just simply a very close friendship or Freed really has a crush. But - shrugs - at the moment all we can do is guess.

ALSO - many people seem to forget that it was Freed who founded the Raijinshuu team and not Laxus. So technically he's the Captain and they choose every time whether they want to follow Laxus or not. I do believe that Laxus and Freed see themselves pretty equal in their position in the team.

Firepower

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree!! I would be more than happy with just a few pieces of information! Maybe just one chapter with basics or something like that. There's just SO MUCH we don't know!!

At the moment we really can't tell. I mean I admit that I'm a huge Fraxus shipper because I just think that their devotion towards each other and the trust is immense. Laxus trusts no one else like he trusts Freed and it's the same way the other way round. They just have such a strong bond ( Bicks and Ever too though, but with Freed it still feels a little different somehow? ) that I could imagine that it's just simply a very close friendship or Freed really has a crush. But - shrugs - at the moment all we can do is guess.

ALSO - many people seem to forget that it was Freed who founded the Raijinshuu team and not Laxus. So technically he's the Captain and they choose every time whether they want to follow Laxus or not. I do believe that Laxus and Freed see themselves pretty equal in their position in the team.
I agree on all of that except the last part. I don't think Laxus is arrogant to think he is better than the thunder tribe, but feel strongly that he is their leader that they cherish so much. The shower scene was funny, but after arriving back from the 7 year skip, everyone was getting mushy. Freed had his hands on Laxus's shoulder trying to rub heads. Laxus was moving away with that look that says wtf. That alone proves Laxus has respect for his team. See I would never tolerate that with any guy. Fraxus shipping is insane. No way. Not trying to be rude. Just saying. I think Laxus and Mira are perfect for one another. Can't really find a match for Freed or Bikslow. When I think about it it's hard to imagine Freed with any girl. I'd just match him up with Sugarboy.

Kiki

Anija's Right Hand Man
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Freed and Bickslow should look for girlfriend soon so as not to cause misunderstanding. Bickslow is safe I think. And Freed, I don't know. I think his obsession is just the way Mashima shows comedy part. I recall Freed blushed when Cana attacked him with harem of girls with bikini from her cards. I watched it from anime, I don't know if that happened in manga as well.

Speaking of loyalty, in anime-only scene when Freed scrubs Laxus' back, I can recall clearly Bickslow wants to do it as well. This shows that all Raijinshuu members are very loyal to their leader, Laxus. Even Evergreen too, in a anime-only scene (Borwatt city). She is so protective towards Laxus. Furthermore, after we all know that Laxus wants to protect Raijinshuu in Tartaros arc and Ragnarok arc, that means a back and forth between them: Laxus wants to protect them, Raijinshuu wants to protect him. And this is good for their character development.

Selly

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I agree on all of that except the last part. I don't think Laxus is arrogant to think he is better than the thunder tribe, but feel strongly that he is their leader that they cherish so much. The shower scene was funny, but after arriving back from the 7 year skip, everyone was getting mushy. Freed had his hands on Laxus's shoulder trying to rub heads. Laxus was moving away with that look that says wtf. That alone proves Laxus has respect for his team. See I would never tolerate that with any guy. Fraxus shipping is insane. No way. Not trying to be rude. Just saying. I think Laxus and Mira are perfect for one another. Can't really find a match for Freed or Bikslow. When I think about it it's hard to imagine Freed with any girl. I'd just match him up with Sugarboy.
Freed and Bickslow should look for girlfriend soon so as not to cause misunderstanding. Bickslow is safe I think. And Freed, I don't know. I think his obsession is just the way Mashima shows comedy part. I recall Freed blushed when Cana attacked him with harem of girls with bikini from her cards. I watched it from anime, I don't know if that happened in manga as well.

Speaking of loyalty, in anime-only scene when Freed scrubs Laxus' back, I can recall clearly Bickslow wants to do it as well. This shows that all Raijinshuu members are very loyal to their leader, Laxus. Even Evergreen too, in a anime-only scene (Borwatt city). She is so protective towards Laxus. Furthermore, after we all know that Laxus wants to protect Raijinshuu in Tartaros arc and Ragnarok arc, that means a back and forth between them: Laxus wants to protect them, Raijinshuu wants to protect him. And this is good for their character development.
Just gonna reply to you both in one, I hope that's okay!

I don't believe that Fraxus shipping is insane at all. In fact they've shown to have a very strong bond and it's far from being just loyalty. Whereas I think that Miraxus would come totally out of the blue honestly, since they have little to no interaction in the entire manga. And shipping Freed with Sugarboy would just be....no no nope no way urgh.

BUT I didn't want this thread to be about shipping though rather about the characters so let's move on with that!

So here I come to the 'obsessive' and 'comedy' part. This way of thinking is ( unfortunately ) very common and I can say for sure that I absolutely despise it. I've made many posts/analyses about Freed's character and behavior on another website and seeing all the 'fanboy' posts/opinions still popping uo drives me insane oh god.

It's true - Freed was clingy after Laxus returned. He even cried but so did Bixlow although Freed behaved more extreme without doubt. That's undeniable. But WHY did he do so? Right, because his longest and one of his closest people returned from his exile. Seriously, who would not be happy? We don't know their story but Laxus must have done something that these three are so close to him. We don't know what happened but there has to be something. Now then, after observing more closely... When did this 'obsession' how many call it, reoccur in the manga? Hmmm....right, NEVER! 'Cause if one looks closely and pays attention then we notice that this extreme change of Freed's behavior only occurred when Laxus returned. Not before that, and not again after that. But that's something many people just seem to overlook.

Another example, this time from the anime. Tartarus, last episode. Laxus lying in bed and the Raijinshuu waiting for him to wake up. Now who went all 'LAXUS!!' once he woke up? It was Ever. Who remained calm and explained that they worried? Right, Freed.

In the current ARC also both Laxus and Freed have shown respect and pride towards each other and Freed seems to be one of the very few people who knew about Laxus' illness in the first place.

So long story short, I simply think it's absolutely false to call it an obsession. It's been shown more than once that these two have a very close bond and it's way beyond just being loyal to one another or the leader-Captain relationship.

So whops I rambled a bit xD but I honestly hate it when people call Freed a fanboy or purposefully ignore his actual character traits. And I hope you get where I'm coming from ;w;

Oh but apart from all that I agree that it's good development and absolutely wonderful how close all four of them are and that they want to protect each other! Honestly, their team ( plus Laxus ) is one of my fav relationships in the manga.

Brandish μ

aka Brandish
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The Raijinshuu are pretty cool. I like Freed more then Bickslow/Evergreen. Hopefully they get some more involvement this arc. They could easily get a spin-off imo, it'd be better than the others (though I liked Ice Trail until Gildarts left it).

I actually thought the Raijinshuu might help Laxus take out Wahl. Mainly because Freed mentioned the machines using alchemy bit, so I thought he would be a factor in Wahl getting beat. His Justu Shiki at the start of the war was pretty impressive.

I'm also digging Raijinshuu + Ichiya. They are hilarious together, and the bit where they saved each other in the cathedral was awesome. Ichiya is one of my favourite characters so might be a little biased.

FraXus is not impossible though coz I like Laxus with other women. MiraXus is what I hope for BUT The Raijinshuu x Strauss siblings is an easy ship to make imo. Leaves Laxus to get with Brandish (the coats!!)

BluePegasus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
The Raijinshuu are pretty cool. I like Freed more then Bickslow/Evergreen. Hopefully they get some more involvement this arc. They could easily get a spin-off imo, it'd be better than the others (though I liked Ice Trail until Gildarts left it).

I actually thought the Raijinshuu might help Laxus take out Wahl. Mainly because Freed mentioned the machines using alchemy bit, so I thought he would be a factor in Wahl getting beat. His Justu Shiki at the start of the war was pretty impressive.

I'm also digging Raijinshuu + Ichiya. They are hilarious together, and the bit where they saved each other in the cathedral was awesome. Ichiya is one of my favourite characters so might be a little biased.

FraXus is not impossible though coz I like Laxus with other women. MiraXus is what I hope for BUT The Raijinshuu x Strauss siblings is an easy ship to make imo. Leaves Laxus to get with Brandish (the coats!!)
I ship Laxus and Mira as well. Even though it's funny that Freed is so obsessed with Laxus, I wouldn't like if they actually become together lol. I wouldn't except it, though.

Kiki

Anija's Right Hand Man
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Yes of course it's beyond loyalty. I totally agree with that. I like their character development. Raijinshuu's debut was when Battle of Fairy Tail arc started. And I got the impression that Laxus was type of person who wants everyone to obey him and all his orders. Raijinshuu obeyed his order and they attacked their own comrades which I found it so mean. Freed said he will follow Laxus wherever he goes, even if it's hell. But, as time goes by, there is no longer "loyalty", there is no longer a relationship between "leader" and "subordinate". There is only "friend". They are equal. They protect each other. What still remains is, maybe, which I got the impression if they do/are, Raijinshuu still respect Laxus so much. They three sometimes do Laxus a favor, such as scrubbing Laxus' back as already mentioned, etc. I think this is supposed to happen, since Laxus is older than them. I guess they consider him a big bro haha.

I also like bromance relationship. Laxus used to be bossy and Freed must obey what he ordered. But now their position are equal to each other. Freed taught Laxus rune magic and later this magic can be useful. Laxus also said the words Natsu usually says: "Moetekitazo/I am all fired up" back in GMG arc. Gray and Laxus even have their bromance panel. I find this good and this is just great for their all character development ^^

I agree as well, Raijinshuu should have spin-off manga. It would be interesting, since there are quite a lot of their fans around the world.

Last edited:

Firepower

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
I forgot about Cana doing her card trick which got Freed's manly urges to show around those girls. Sugarboy is more than enough of characters that swing that way. As ahmadrizqik said its probably just a comedic thing. Fraxus will have a lot of people wondering what kind of anime is this. Sorry but I don't think boys love is gonna happen. But the team is as close as can be. Evergreen also has strong admiration for Laxus, but there's nothing going on there. She openly tells Laxus about Elfman. Laxus puts his hand on Elfman's shoulder and gives him the nod, as if to say he permits. That was funny.

Brandish μ

aka Brandish
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Freed faked his loss of composure to women in swimsuits. He and Bickslow wanted to let Cana and Lucy go through easily after what they did in Fantasia.

Tavore

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
England
I think it's the former I mean the guy has a poster of Laxus in his bedroom. In the same page was looking at Ren. Eve and Hibiki naked photos in a magazine. Here's the page if you find it to hard to believe.