True enough. Though the 'feats' must be a certain level of a show-of-force enough to approximate power/strength for comps' sake. I'm thinking most feats in of themselves would probably be dangerous to undertake, and would generally be fights anyways. But, yes, generally-speaking the rankings seem to be a bit fuzzy. Big Brain Tower algorithms utilized I'm sure.
In my mental model, I'm not sure that right, if you're talking about using the show-of-force to convince the ranking agency of anything: I was thinking of the show-of-force being used not to provide information to the ranking agency, but, instead, just to establish that (a) you are who you claim to be and (b) your power level and capabilities are credibly within the range they're reputed to be.
The tl;dr is I was thinking along the lines of, say, fights between rival lions: on the one hand they're real conflicts, because the stakes are real (winner becomes king of the pride, loser becomes a loner and slinks away); on the other hand they're not so much serious fights as serious games of chicken—lots of roaring, chest-puffing, teeth baring, and warning shots, but rarely escalating beyond that. The logic there is "no matter who wins, we both lose": if the lions fight all-out they'll both wind up with serious injuries, leaving them at high risk of death from starvation, death from infection, or death at the hands of an opportunistic, uninjured third party...so, generally, they don't fight all out.
I don't think SIU is explicitly thinking in these terms, but he doesn't need to be—the logic sketched above arguably "arises naturally" from the situation and its incentives...and I think the high-ranker situation is analogous-enough in its structure for the same types of behaviors to "arise naturally" (so to speak).
The point of all this is that the shows-of-force I was talking about might wind up getting factored into future rankings, but they don't have to, either: I was just thinking of them as how the high rankers tried to prove to each other that they were actually who they claimed they were (and that their capabilities were in line with their reputations).
I want to say you can break down both the Karaka-and-Yuri fight (at the name hunt station) and the start of the Jinsung-vs-Maschenny fight as following a script roughly along the above lines, but am too lazy to do so—I may be misremembering or over-interpreting.
I generally agree with the rest of your remarks. I'd summarize it as the ranking system results in two kinds of uncertainty. On the one hand, rank deriving from multiple factors leaves a lot of meta-uncertainty about what any given ranker's actual capabilities might be; on the other hand, even with perfect power-level knowledge, there's still a lot of uncertainty due combat being such a high-variance activity.
End result: much more ambiguity and uncertainty about the probable outcome of a high-ranker conflict than would be expected given their nominal ranks, thus much more reluctance to actually fight, much more interest in solving conflict by negotiation, games, other mutual-face-saving stratagems, and whatnot.
ahhhhh. Yeah, the first thought we had was a Z clone or offspring, but what of a daughter of a clone? Should still be massively powerful, but the clones clearly don't approximate the power of the original so maybe their seed isn't too strong to be received by female tower denizens.
As such, could Wangnan and (probably) Karaka have children, and what kind of potential would those children have?
I think Wangnan's healing factor is
maybe better understood not as a healing factor but, instead, as his having immortality (like Zahard, etc.).
If that's true, though, it seems that the logic of the tower is much stranger than expected: I could see tower logic being such that these tower contracts are tied not to individuals (e.g. souls or whatever) nor even directly to their bodies but, instead, to something like their DNA-identity (or, god forbid, their shinsoo-chlorians, ahem)?
Per this theory the formula for the clones would be "the tower grants them Zahard's privileges and immunities...and thus whoever made them was very, very careful to impose tight constraints on their capabilities." For Wangnan that constraint appears to be a strict shinsoo prohibition, for Karaka that constraint remains unknown (but probably ties into the armor somehow), and for others who can say. It's also easy for SIU to include an "imperfect copies receive only partial recognition as Zahards."
Which gets to your question: per this theory these Zahard clones are basically given Zahard status by the tower, then kept in check by additional constraints. In the absence of an inheritable constraint, however, the offspring of such Zahard clones would, at minimum, be expected to have a status analogous to the direct offspring of the other family heads, except substantially more-so due to being "direct Zahard offspring" (as it were).
In the presence of an inheritable constraint, all bets are off, of course, with one more caveat: since Baam has his magical spell-breaking ability, Baam would theoretically be able to remove the constraint from any pseudo-Zahard descendant. Why he hasn't done this yet to Wangnan would be a bit of a question—I have to think they'd have touched each other at least once by now, right?
Yes, I made a lovely thread about it (pats self on back). Luslec and the Captain have a lot of overlap IMO.
Not only did you make a thread, I actually posted in it multiple times, too. Sigh.
Since then I am more skeptical about V being Luslec. No real new information has come in, just that my assessment of the balance of probabilities has evolved (somehow)—whoever he is, I doubt he's V. I could, however, see V being alive as some kind of perpetually-wandering observer figure: too checked-out to intervene, but still invested-enough to want to witness the major moments in Arlene's prophecies. I don't like that as a dramatic concept, but could see SIU going for it.
The one thing I'm less sure on now is where Luslec being a Z clone would leave all the theories about Zahard and V being brothers. In theory those are orthogonal concepts and both could be true, but in practice any plot concepts wherein it's significant who's the "prince of zahard" gets weird, fast, if both Baam and the clones have colorable claims to that title.