Favorites Rate Meliodas as a main character

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
6 from me too

He is not an entirely terrible protagonist but definitely lot of points fell because of his recent actions.


Shounen protagonists like Gon(Hunter x Hunter) , Eren Yeager (Attack on Titan) , Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin) are far better protagonist than him,there are lot of similarities between Meliodas and Kenshin.
 

LaserBeam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
1,984
Age
40
Country
Greece
Perhaps we need out own nanatsu no taizai poll here can someone a moderator or something do that poll?

I am curious which will be our version of popular characters of nanatsu no taizai
 

Gallon

Artichoke
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2015
Messages
6,197
Reaction score
13,371
Gender
Male
Country
Joker
Perhaps we need out own nanatsu no taizai poll here can someone a moderator or something do that poll?

I am curious which will be our version of popular characters of nanatsu no taizai
We've had that held twice. The third one should come by the end of the series.
 

sobreno

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
5,379
Reaction score
3,058
Country
Djibouti
8/10.

Liked his character development from being ruthless and with stone like feelings to being kind and still badass.

The parallel of his character with Emo Mel from Purgatory and Emotionless Mel in Britannia upon that time was fascinating to see too. I also like the personality of the two Meliodas.
 
Last edited:

Ger

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,752
Reaction score
805
Age
26
Country
Canada
His 8.5 to me, intro, background, build on his character is greater than anyone else. We didnt know his struggles until the last arc so far.
 

sobreno

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
5,379
Reaction score
3,058
Country
Djibouti
His 8.5 to me, intro, background, build on his character is greater than anyone else. We didnt know his struggles until the last arc so far.
Yeah, I completely forgot that his background and build on his character was the best too.
 

Seven777

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 16, 2016
Messages
5,568
Reaction score
10,567
Age
31
Country
Australia
Personality wise i'd give him a 7, I usually don't like anime/manga MCs but Mel is pretty good, I like him and he has had decent development. But for his place in the story I'd give him a 3 or so. His relationship with every character except Ban is pretty meh, that includes Elizabeth, his role as a betrayer of the DC was pretty meh, his OG magic reveal and overall power level throughout the story sucked ass, his interactions and dynamic with the main villain sucks ass, and his choices as a whole aren't particularly intelligent or even interesting.

Overall I'd give him a 5, as a character, he's one of the most likeable in the series imo, but sometimes I feel like a lot of events in the manga would be better off without him.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,677
Reaction score
61,378
Gender
Male
Country
France
Me? 7.5 or maybe 8/10. He is just fine for this series and I find that he has some depth that people overlook at times, maybe because of the story itself.
 

Shadowlord123

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2018
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
5,149
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Mmm, let's see. I have mixed feelings with Mel. His personality is pretty good for a shonen MC. On the one hand, you have his "good" personality which is kind, funny and easy-going if you don't fuck too much with him. On the other hand, you have his "bad" personality which is the complete opposite: emotionless, ruthless, cold and logical, he's not blinded by his emotions. I like the paralels with both and I find his overall personality well constructed. If I had to say something I don't like about his personality is the fact that he hides so much stuff from his comrades. While this is understandable to some degree, I feel like it's too much.

Now, when it comes to his powers, he's disgustingly OP. I normally don't have problems with OP MC's as long as two things happen: 1. The villain has to be equally OP in order to maintain the threat and 2. His abilities are well explored and explained. Neither of them is accomplished in this series as of now, which is why I don't like this trait of him and it is probably my biggest problem with his character. He's the biggest tension killer. He basically has no weakness and the vast majority of his battles consist of him mocking and fodderizing the villain like trash. Yes, there are some battles on which he's pushed to his limits, but considering the fact that he's either nerfed or holding back, it takes away the majority of its value, thing that constitutes my second problem with his character: the way his power-ups are handled and I'm going to be honest here, that sucks ass. He basically went from Holy Knight Tier to embarass the God Tier and all of this because he was either nerfed or holding back. That's all the explanation. While it's true that he has had two trainings in the series (one in Istar and the other in Purgatory) it's not enough for me to say that the way his power ups were handled was consistent.

The next thing I want to comment is his backstory. In this case think it's pretty good. The way he gradually changed his personality when he met with Eli and the curse put into him are both pretty unique. Not gonna lie, getting the person you love the most getting killed over and over again was pretty dark for a shonen. I almost thought I was reading a seinen, lol. Sadly, the fact that he had an OG Magic that could have broke the curse all along kinda ruins that and makes it pointless. Hopefully, Nakaba goes in depth with that, so this point becomes moot in the future.

Finally, his interactions with other characters. This is another point I don't like. Aside from some dialogues with Ban, King, Zeldris and Elizabeth, I find the other interactions kinda boring. It happens what some users here call the "Everybody sucks Mel's character" syndrome. Basically, the majority of the dialogues tend to remember us how amazing and godly he is. I remember one chapter in which the Sins interact with him and everybody does that (chapter 302 I believe) and it happens in way more chapters.

Overall I'd give him a 6 or 7 at max. His personality and backstory as well as development are pretty nice. The way Nakaba handles his powers as well as the portrayal and interactions with other characters is poor.

PD: Sorry for the wall of text, I got too carried away, lol, but I felt I had to.
 
Last edited:

sobreno

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
5,379
Reaction score
3,058
Country
Djibouti
Mmm, let's see. I have mixed feelings with Mel. His personality is pretty good for a shonen MC. On the one hand, you have his "good" personality which is kind, funny and easy-going if you don't fuck too much with him. On the other hand, you have his "bad" personality which is the complete opposite: emotionless, ruthless, cold and logical, he's not blinded by his emotions. I like the paralels with both and I find his overall personality well constructed. If I had to say something I don't like about his personality is the fact that he hides so much stuff from his comrades. While this is understandable to some degree, I feel like it's too much.

Now, when it comes to his powers, he's disgustingly OP. I normally don't have problems with OP MC's as long as two things happen: 1. The villain has to be equally OP in order to maintain the threat and 2. His abilities are well explored and explained. Neither of them is accomplished in this series as of now, which is why I don't like this trait of him and it is probably my biggest problem with his character. He's the biggest tension killer. He basically has no weakness and the vast majority of his battles consist of him mocking and fodderizing the villain like trash. Yes, there are some battles on which he's pushed to his limits, but considering the fact that he's either nerfed or holding back, it takes away the majority of its value, thing that constitutes my second problem with his character: the way his power-ups are handled and I'm going to be honest here, that sucks ass. He basically went from Holy Knight Tier to embarass the God Tier and all of this because he was either nerfed or holding back. That's all the explanation. While it's true that he has had two trainings in the series (one in Istar and the other in Purgatory) it's not enough for me to say that the way his power ups were handled was consistent.

The next thing I want to comment is his backstory. In this case think it's pretty good. The way he gradually changed his personality when he met with Eli and the curse put into him are both pretty unique. Not gonna lie, getting the person you love the most getting killed over and over again was pretty dark for a shonen. I almost thought I was reading a seinen, lol. Sadly, the fact that he had an OG Magic that could have broke the curse all along kinda ruins that and makes it pointless. Hopefully, Nakaba goes in depth with that, so this point becomes moot in the future.

Finally, his interactions with other characters. This is another point I don't like. Aside from some dialogues with Ban, King, Zeldris and Elizabeth, I find the other interactions kinda boring. It happens what some users here call the "Everybody sucks Mel's character" syndrome. Basically, the majority of the dialogues tend to remember us how amazing and godly he is. I remember one chapter in which the Sins interact with him and everybody does that (chapter 302 I believe) and it happens in way more chapters.

Overall I'd give him a 6 or 7 at max. His personality and backstory as well as development are pretty nice. The way Nakaba handles his powers as well as the portrayal and interactions with other characters is poor.

PD: Sorry for the wall of text, I got too carried away, lol, but I felt I had to.
Excellent critics, as expected from you, I disagree to some point but overall, I feel like it is a fair criticism.

About the OG magic, I feel like he couldn't use it back then because he wasn't powerful enough to awaken it, on top.of being afraid of it for some reason until his training in Purgatory when his soul ( Emo Mel ) became powerful enough to finally awaken it.

That is the most logical explanation otherwise that is beyond retarded to suffer 3000 years. Only logical answer is that:
1) He was afraid of it, pretty stupid answer but on option nonetheless.

2) He couldn't back then because not powerful enough to awaken that inner Demon Lord power.
 

RisaArias

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
60
Reaction score
134
Age
27
Country
India
I am going to ignore the recent events while I rate him. Because the arc is not over yet. So its up until AM meliodas going into cocoon.

Maybe around 8. I dont usually like protagonists that much in any manga. But Meliodas leaves a feeling similar to Ichigo.

Meliodas's pros are:
-He is small and muscular <3
-His smile is cute.
-His AM is so cool <3
-His backstory is touching.

The only cons are in the recent arcs.
 

everythingnice

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2019
Messages
528
Reaction score
808
Gender
Female
Country
Fairy Tail
Since I base many of my opinions on bias (lol) I'd give 10/10 because I loved his development the most. He's a good friend and a good leader. His past makes me cry like a newborn baby everytime I go through it and...I'd rather should not say this but...... I had a very deep crush on him when I started the anime:luv
 

Seven777

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 16, 2016
Messages
5,568
Reaction score
10,567
Age
31
Country
Australia
I feel like Mel's story with Liz was the pinnacle of his character development. The stuff since then with Goddess Elizabeth and his family hasn't been nearly as touching.
 

Aurelius

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 10, 2019
Messages
3,149
Reaction score
8,860
Gender
Male
Country
United States
He's an awful mc, 2 or 3. With his emotions, he seems like a good guy, but he's not exactly trustworthy and hides things. His decision-making is absolute garbage and Elizabeth is his only focus, I guess Zel gets 5% with the recent events. Also, I hate how Nakaba portays his past emotionless self. Characters like the demon king, archangels, Merlin all described him as the evilest, most terrifying demon, someone who slaughtered everything his path. But, when Meliodas has his flashbacks, he seems rather blunt and straightforward, not some monster with bloodlust like Estarossa. Which is it?
 

sobreno

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
5,379
Reaction score
3,058
Country
Djibouti
He's an awful mc, 2 or 3. With his emotions, he seems like a good guy, but he's not exactly trustworthy and hides things. His decision-making is absolute garbage and Elizabeth is his only focus, I guess Zel gets 5% with the recent events. Also, I hate how Nakaba portays his past emotionless self. Characters like the demon king, archangels, Merlin all described him as the evilest, most terrifying demon, someone who slaughtered everything his path. But, when Meliodas has his flashbacks, he seems rather blunt and straightforward, not some monster with bloodlust like Estarossa. Which is it?
Wow, you hate the character too much dude.
 

XXGenesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2011
Messages
3,135
Reaction score
1,885
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Turkmenistan
He's a strong 6 imo. Part of his godly appeal is that he has a foil with the AD. instead he is stacked against Meliodas who reaches his lv through pure hype of tex with no reasonable doubt . Meliodas naturally had this strength all along which makes the plo and journey tooooo so pointless.

either way, what is the DK goal continue a war and torment his son and lover..its really lame. I prefer him in his natural form which is a kool design and his magic power is kool other than that his whole being has become meh...
 
Top