Discussion - Re-write the Alvarez Arc | Page 14 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Re-write the Alvarez Arc

Would you change the Alvarez arc?

• Not at all

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Minorly

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • Moderately

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • Majorly

Votes: 72 41.4%
  • Completely

Votes: 47 27.0%

• Total voters

Something

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Ebony Maw Thanks for the kind words. Yep, I don't mind you DMing me your rewrite ideas. Also, this rewrite project is actually gonna be a video project that I'll hopefully be able to upload to YouTube in the future. I'll try to get an animator to animate this rewrite for me. And yeah, when I'm ready to show off my outline, I would love to link you what I got in the DMs. And damn, it really sounds like your putting a lot of effort into your own rewrite lol.

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
@Ebony Maw Thanks for the kind words. Yep, I don't mind you DMing me your rewrite ideas. Also, this rewrite project is actually gonna be a video project that I'll hopefully be able to upload to YouTube in the future. I'll try to get an animator to animate this rewrite for me. And yeah, when I'm ready to show off my outline, I would love to link you what I got in the DMs. And damn, it really sounds like your putting a lot of effort into your own rewrite lol.
Yo, sorry for the late reply, have been busy AF recently (and sadly will be until the end of next week).

Wow, you're making a video project!? That's cool as hell! Given that you are trying to get it animated, are you thinking about getting voice actors? Only asking out of interest, your re-write sounds really ambitious. Good on you, and all the best! Feel free to DM if you ever want to chat.

Regarding what you said about getting inspirations from this thread, would you mind doing me a favour? If there's something you see in this thread and essentially just incorporate that idea into your re-write, I would really appreciate it if you asked here or in DMs for permission to do so. Or at the very least, find a way to give them some credit for the idea. I know this probably seems hypocritical considering we're all talking fanfic here, but I've always felt it's important to be transparent about when ideas you used are yours vs when you've just taken the idea from another person.

Of course, there is a grey area as to when something stops being you using someone else's idea vs when you are inspired and put your own twist on that concept.

What do other people think? Would really appreciate the input and opinion of any frequent posters or others who are doing a re-write themselves!

Garmadooon

Reaction score
Country
France
Personally, the only thing I would have changed from this arc is the number of Spriggan. Even if Hiro had the time and the right pace to write this arc he would have failed anyway because he put too many unnecessary villains in this arc and the fights would have been missed anyway. So you might as well keep the useful Spriggans who have something to contribute to the story (August Irene God Serena Brandish Invel Ajeel). For Acnologia and Zeref I don't know what we could have changed. They were far too powerful to lose in a fair fight. With hindsight I don't blame the author for having poorly managed their ending. As @Ebony Maw said he managed his work well despite the pressure he had and the lack of time, and In his place I would have also lost my temper.

SleipnirX

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Personally, the only thing I would have changed from this arc is the number of Spriggan. Even if Hiro had the time and the right pace to write this arc he would have failed anyway because he put too many unnecessary villains in this arc and the fights would have been missed anyway. So you might as well keep the useful Spriggans who have something to contribute to the story (August Irene God Serena Brandish Invel Ajeel). For Acnologia and Zeref I don't know what we could have changed. They were far too powerful to lose in a fair fight. With hindsight I don't blame the author for having poorly managed their ending. As @Ebony Maw said he managed his work well despite the pressure he had and the lack of time, and In his place I would have also lost my temper.
Reduce the Spriggans, and sort a couple of ill defined things out. Firstly Zeref's actual aim/ motive for the invasion? Yes to obtain Fairy Heart, but I'm still not entirely clear on what he aimed to do with it... if it was take the fight to Ankhseram and end his curse with the virtually unlimited power of FH, that's a tangible goal at least. Secondly I really don't think it worked as a war arc with zero set up on Alvarez, Alakitasia, or international diplomacy/ military matters in general throughout FT. We just barely glimpse Fiore's government, and it's relationship to the Magic Council is poorly defined. If it was building to a war that's what he should've been sprinkling in all the way through the series.

Better would be Zeref gathered some Human mages (say 5/6 of the Spriggans) and had a small army of new etherious around him, and planned to attack Fairy Tail for Fairy Heart in particular. Recruiting Natsu as END for his second in command could fit into his plan, to at least do something with that plot point, even if it is the most basic obvious thing going. Each of the Spriggan fights would've worked better as 2v1s against Fairy Tail pairs - I actually quite liked what he tried to do with Lucy & Natsu vs Jacob, and Wendy & Erza vs Irene, in principal at least. Lets them live up to their hype a bit at least. The rest of the spriggans could have been re-worked into the etherious enemies to give the tertiary characters some decent fights.

The only thing I'm really stumped on is what to do with Acno, he doesn't fit in here particularly well as there's already a lot going on. Really needed his own arc tbh. Probably could've re-worked the Future Rogue and Eclipse Dragon part of the GMG and moved it a bit later (Rogue comes through during the games, but doesn't make his move until later, after Tartaros or so?).

Yunkers

Reaction score
Country
Poland
The only thing I'm really stumped on is what to do with Acno, he doesn't fit in here particularly well as there's already a lot going on. Really needed his own arc tbh.
I feel like Hiro has wasted an opportunity with Irene being a link between Zeref and Acnologia. When Irene and Acno met, Irene clearly stated that Universe 0 was casted to remove Acno from the play, until Zeref was strong enough to defeat him. That really suggested that Irene's plan was to defeat Acnologia and finish was she started long ago. But that went nowhere as Hiro changed Irene into crazy Mother with her being a dragon as an excuse of her craziness.
And what's even weirder, Acnologia had never figured out that Irene was a dragon. Even after she turned into literal dragon later on, he did nothing. Weird.

Something

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel like Hiro has wasted an opportunity with Irene being a link between Zeref and Acnologia. When Irene and Acno met, Irene clearly stated that Universe 0 was casted to remove Acno from the play, until Zeref was strong enough to defeat him. That really suggested that Irene's plan was to defeat Acnologia and finish was she started long ago. But that went nowhere as Hiro changed Irene into crazy Mother with her being a dragon as an excuse of her craziness.
And what's even weirder, Acnologia had never figured out that Irene was a dragon. Even after she turned into literal dragon later on, he did nothing. Weird.
I'm curious, how would you handle Irene being sort of like a middle ground character between Zeref and Acnologia.