Question - Recommendation Thread: (Use this thread when you seek advice.) | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Recommendation Thread: (Use this thread when you seek advice.)

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: Seeking help for "Adding a translation"! Thanks a lot!

If you mean you want to find English translations to translate to Chinese, you can find some translations which are posted at MangaHelpers here >> http://mangahelpers.com/translators/?lang=en << Type the series you want to translate to see if we have the English translations here. In "Adding a translation", I believe you post the Chinese translation, not the original English script. And if the series you want to work on is not available here, you can go to Manga Editors website. Don't forget to ask for permission from the original English translator.

Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: What would you guys recommend?

Manga Raws are not available on MH. If you chose to do the 2nd hand translation (translations based on English translation of Japanese raws), please evaluate the quality of the English translations first.

yumecchi21

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Hungary
i need help!

Hey guys! :)

I kinda need some help if you don't mind!
Well I need to translate a manga to my friend (she doesn't speak English).
I would like to know what kind of "manga editor" program should I use!?

I'm really looking forward your help! :^_^

Thank you so much,
Yume :)

ComradeLewis

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: i need help!

Notepad. Translating is a low-tech job. Translators don't usually waste their time with typesetting their projects. Typesetters here use GIMP or Photoshop.

Ominae

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Using the translation done by a defunct group for your own. Is it ethical?

I'm using Shook Up! as an example of an incomplete manga translation project.

I know that both groups have been disbanded and their translations are out in the net. I'm just wondering if it's right or not to continue doing the project using their translation as a basis.

[tmod=mikkih]This post was moved from TA mainboard.[/tmod]

Last edited by a moderator:

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Using the translation done by a defunct group for your own. Is it ethical?

Try to get in touch with them first, and the translator separately (google nicks at least, the people might still be around even if the group isn't). If you can't, then use the tl, but make sure you credit BOTH the group and the translator.

The thing is, a group might use a public translation, and even if the group is defunct, the translator might still be active here on MH. I had this situation happen with one of my public translations, and I wasn't even credited for it. It was somewhat annoying.

MadHatterRyu

Reaction score
Country
India
Umm.. help with picking a manga to translate

I'm a complete noob here^_^;; I have NO idea whats been scanlated and yet to be translated...

Instead of using hit and trial on bakaupdates, or looking at the request thread praying nobody's translated whatever requests that pop up,

Is there any brighter way of finding out our to do list?

[tmod=mikkih]This post was moved from TA mainboard. [/tmod]

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Umm.. help with picking a manga to translate

I'm a complete noob here^_^;; I have NO idea whats been scanlated and yet to be translated...

Instead of using hit and trial on bakaupdates, or looking at the request thread praying nobody's translated whatever requests that pop up,

Is there any brighter way of finding out our to do list?

[tmod=mikkih]This post was moved from TA mainboard. [/tmod]
Answer to your question: Please read "To find your own projects" below. You have introduced yourself already in Meet the Translators and Translators Directory, but it would be helpful to add your language proficiency.

To help other translators:
Please visit TA mainboard: Check open threads with [Help] prefix, and other sticked threads.
[For example, Help Request a Full Translation and Hellp Short & Quick Translation Thread need some help as of today.]

To find existing projects:
* Visit isit Translation Reuqests in TA Classroom to see personal requests posted by other members.
* Visit Staff and Project Resources if you are interested in joining Edited Manga groups.

To find your own projects:

* Visit Translations seach page to to find out if a manga title that you like has been released on MH already.

To introduce yourself:
* Visit Staff and Project Resources and post in Translators Directory.
* Introduce yourself in Meet the Translators.

Last edited:

Oniichan

Reaction score
Country
United States
How to start translating on this site?

The title says it all. :derp

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: How to start translating on this site?

The title says it all. :derp

Please read Translators' Guide to MH. You will need at least 5 translations uploaded to MH before you request your status change to translator/international translator. Please note that MH does not offer raws for your translations.

Please visit Staff and Project Resources if you are interested in joining Edited Manga groups.

Please also read my previous post.

Day

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Resources for English Learners / ESL

Are there any online resources (or books you would recommend) for those that wish to learn more (vocabulary, figures of speech, conversational language, etc) in the present-day American English language - I feel like this would help a lot while translating.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Reactions: Day

Byoo1671

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Beginner questions

So i recently started translating a dropped manga (2+ years already). I love translating it. It's totally fun and amazing but I wanna upload these chapters soon and I have some unanswered questions.

1) do I have to be in a Manga Editor group to submit manga or something? I was actually planning on being independent or even starting my own

2) I only translate and clean the manga but I don't scan the manga. Like I said this manga has been dropped by English translators for a while. BUT the manga is finished and it's all been translated into Chinese. I just clean it and translate it. I'm getting the scans from a website that has links to all the scans. I really want to give credit to the scanners so do I give credit to the one who compiled all the chapters (onto an English site) or the the Chinese site who I presume uploaded all the chapters? I know I have to ask for permission to and I plan to but it's kind of hard getting into contact with them since I don't know their email or contact. And it's really hard to find their website under all the misc chinese stuff on the internet.

If you could answer these two questions, I will be so thankful.

Thanks!!!!

desailes

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Does anyone know of a good dictionary?

Hi everyone! I'm looking for a good JN dictionary, also a good JN/ENG dictionary. Sometimes I come across obscure phrases/archaic word meanings and things that are difficult to translate across the language barrier so I'm looking for a dictionary or two that can help with that. I can read fairly fine in both languages, so it doesn't have to be a bilingual dictionary. Does anyone know of some good ones?

早速皆さんに相談事があります!

時々漫画を訳している時に説明しにくいフレーズやわからない単語があるんです。特に専門用語をよく使う漫画やらオーディオ、小説などを訳している時に困ります。なので、使いやすい日本語辞書を探したいのですが、皆さんのオススメの辞書を知りたいです!一応バイリンガルなので、日本語辞書と日英辞書、どちらでも構いません。ご協力をお願いします!

exatus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey I'm new here and want to start translating.
I'm in high school and I've learned Japanese since I was little and I want to start translating manga but don't know where to start.
Is there any suggestions? I also have a pretty decent collection of manga and novels I want to translate but I really am clueless and no idea what I am supposed to do to start...

Mana Light

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
first of all, i have to warn you that translating will take a lot of time so choose one what do you really want to do most. just one.
then
1. learn a bit about how to editting manga: typesetting, redrawing. don't depend on other group nor depend on others.
2. be patient. you maybe lose interest very quicly. it will take many efforts. this is why i tell you choose what do you want to do most.
you can start with this oneshot: http://www.jcafe24.net/index.php?topic=49954

3. find comrades. find partner to do manga is hard. you can join other group .but. since it is hobby. you can lose interest or don't have time to do it. so if you do it yourself, you can leave Edited Mangas whenever you want. if you do it with others, it is awkward for you to say "i will leave". the same with your partner, they can leave you too.
it is hard to find a partner who actually can help you :(. in my past, they just joined then left or don't do much or delay. it is their choices and i never push them.
btw when you join a group, you can learn from them.

4. reconsider when you want o pick a manga. you should spend time for listen to music, watch anime, read manga, ... and rest.

btw i recommend japanzai to join. (although i or my friends have our own groups, i don't recommend my group or theirs either)

Last edited:

exatus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok thanks for the tips ill probably try joining A Group and learn from then.

Niffer

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I'm new here and want to start translating.
I'm in high school and I've learned Japanese since I was little and I want to start translating manga but don't know where to start.
Is there any suggestions? I also have a pretty decent collection of manga and novels I want to translate but I really am clueless and no idea what I am supposed to do to start...
Hey Exatus! I would also suggest picking a nice easy manga at first, this means one with furigana and a slice of life/romance manga based in a school. This is because there's less likely to be made-up or unfamiliar words compared to a fantasy or historic manga, and a lot more common phrases.

As Mana Light suggests, finding a group and using their formatting can be useful for when you type it out and finding a format you feel comfortable with. For example, some people put the character names before everything they say, other just write what's being said. Some people also separate panels with >>. I suggest finding a group that has a lot of manga you enjoy reading. If you go with a group that has manga you don't enjoy you're not going to have fun translating it.

I think you can start before you find a group though. Pick a manga you want to do (whether pysical or digital), open word and just start translating it. If you're stuck with a format style to use go look at other people's translations on here and see what you like.

I'm actually writing a series of blog posts about translating manga for beginners but they're not all done yet ><

If you need any help with sentences, picking a maga, SFX, grammar, etc feel free to PM me or ask here. I'm always happy to help!

P.s This is a good online dictionary: http://jisho.org/

Last edited:

Radizh

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey I'm new around here so if I've posted in the wrong place I apologise... but anyway, I'm a beginner in Japanese I know my hiragana/katakana ,a couple of kanji and some grammar. I want to be able to read and eventually translate raw manga but first I need to be able to read it so I wanted to know if anyone had any good learning resources they are willing to share and maybe some tips on learning/studying.

Thanks in advance.