Discussion - Record of Ragnarok Anime Thread [Season 1 Out now on Netflix] | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Record of Ragnarok Anime Thread [Season 1 Out now on Netflix]

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Perfect. I wanted to make one. Putting everything in the Hangout thread wouldn't be good.

Everything we got so far:
Anime announced for 2021

And double chapter for the ending of Raiden vs Shiva this week
Poster

Art design and voice actors

Brunilda (Miyuki Sawashiro)

Geir (Tomoyo Kurosawa)

Lü Bu (TomoKazu Seki)

Thor (Hikaru Midorikawa)

Zeus (Wataru Takagi)

And Screenshot

Last edited:

TarXan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Perfect. I wanted to make one. Putting everything in the Hangout thread wouldn't be good.

Everything we got so far:
Thoughts on the trailer ? Animation seems off but I don’t think it’ll be the final product

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Thoughts on the trailer ? Animation seems off but I don’t think it’ll be the final product
Not impressed by the trailer. But I love Sawashiro Miyuki as Brunhilde! :nod

Gladiolus

Reaction score
Country
Spain
This is only a teaser, so it's only made to create expectation. Now, if the trailer doesn't looks different from this when it comes, then you should start worrying for real.
At the very least, I'll have voice actors to picture the voices of the characters when I read the manga

TarXan

Reaction score
Country
United States
2nd Official Trailer out (Anime Release Date: June 17th)
Still skeptical about this, the animation looks a bit stiff in some parts

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I like the designs and Miyuki being Hilde so far. Looks promising

Meliodaf

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope the anime gets to the Jack vs Hercules

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Still skeptical about this, the animation looks a bit stiff in some parts
Yeah, I don't watch anime, but I like looking at how adaptations pan out. There a few moments of creativity in the animation, but it looks rather generic for the most part. This feels like something where they could've done a release format based around each fight, allowing them to focus their time making each fight as good as it can be. Hell, maybe new animators could be gotten for each bout. Imagine that.

alekos23

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Oh man. They kinda butchered this, didn't they?

TarXan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Man this was awful, I’m extremely disappointed because the source material was insanely good but the studio really destroyed this smh

Mappa or Madhouse should’ve handled this smh
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Wait, it's already out?
Yeah, it came out today lol

Shadowlord123

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Just finished watching it. I didn't find it that bad. Maybe because after reading some of the initial reactions, I came in with very low expectations lmao.

The art and the OST were pretty good. I could come up with dozens of screenshots that are wallpaper material. OST reminded me of Fairy Tail's, which is a series I dislike but has a stellar soundtrack. Dunno if it's the same composer or not though. Opening and ending were fine too.

I found the voice-acting, as well as the pacing, to be fine as well. They adapted 20 chapters of manga in 12 episodes, which results in roughly 1.66 chapters per episode. Considering how long the chapters actually are, I'd say it's pretty good. Some of these characters (like Lu Bu or Adam) will never be seen after their respective fights most likely, so a faster pace would have felt very underwhelming in delivering some sort of emotional impact in their deaths. On the other hand, a slower pace would have also made it too boring to watch. I realised some things were cut from the manga, which isn't a good point in this aspect, but the cut content was rather small and not too vital for the plot from what I've seen.

I think that everyone who has watched it agrees with what the main problem is: animation. Normally, I would be willing to let it slide a little bit if this was a series that was mainly dialogue and very little action, but it isn't the case. On a fighting tournament series, consistent and good animation on the fights is necessary IMO, since it's one of the main charms of it. Sadly, I can't say they did a good job on this one. Some scenes like Thor's flashback or Adam's final struggle against Zeus, looked more akin to power-point presentations rather than animated scenes. Granted, there are some scenes that were fine in this aspect, but overall it felt pretty underwhelming considering the quality of the manga.

Overall, I'd say it's a 6/10. Sadly, it doesn't smell any higher than this IMO due to what I consider to be the most important aspect (animation) being kinda underwhelming, but I would say the rest was pretty solid. As an adaptation, I found it closer to average than good.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
How many fights did they adapt? I wanted to skip it but maybe I'll check after all.

Shadowlord123

Reaction score
Country
Spain
How many fights did they adapt? I wanted to skip it but maybe I'll check after all.
They adapted the three initial fights. Lu Bu vs Thor, Adam vs Zeus and Kojiro vs Poseidon. They also showed us an intro of Jack vs Heracles.