To be frank, your discussion is rather... well, let's say that you won't get anywhere because you're discussing two so different things. I mean, reasoning and choosing. You can choose to believe what's logical, or choose to believe what's not logical. Maybe because the latter suits you best. For example, for me it doesn't make sense that I could kill as many people as I want, then confess and say I'm sorry, and then go to heaven. But it's comfortable because as long as I say sorry, it's fine, so therefore I choose to believe in that.
You, as an independent human being, can choose to believe in what's logic to you, or what you want it to be. If you want 2+2 to become 5 even though you know it won't, then it's your choice to believe in that, even though not many do.
And, we're all individuals. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it won't make sense to me. Maybe 2+2=7 for me.
When you're born you'll hear your parents opinions on things, if they go to church regularly, you'll go to church, you'll listen to what they say, and you'll believe that it's correct. When you then grow older you can either choose to stick with it, or throw it away because it doesn't make any sense, you don't like the reasoning or whatever the h*ck you want.
Everyone has something they believe in. If you're an atheist you believe that there are no such thing as, for example, a god, or an afterlife, but if you're for example a protestant you believe there is a god etc.
Religion has no evidence. It has outdated books, tales that have been spoken and changed, but whom still has some truth in it from the start.
I'm a, what I call, a hobby-catholic, because I don't really believe what the bible says, but I have made my own version of it. Like a modified version of Catholicism. But it suits me better so I've chosen to believe in that. Let's say that I don't believe in a heaven, but it'd be fucking awesome if there were one, therefore I've chosen to believe that there is a heaven. Regardless of me "knowing" that there aren't one.
The only thing you can do is to find arguments that makes you feel most comfortable. Religion is not down to facts, it's down to what makes you feel calm and relieved (etc. etc.)
Yes and no.
Yes, opinions should be respected and protected by law.
No, some extreme opinions and their consequences simply should not be tolerated. Not to say they should be forbidden by law: it simply won't work. But simply debunk them at the first possible opportunity. Find the flaw in them and expose them for the anti-social attitude they are.
Yes, even extreme opinions should be tolerated. Not praised, or accepted by the public, but
still tolerated. If they believe that they will go to heaven if they kill 90guys, then I would hate to see people disrespecting it. However, I would not like to see anyone being positive about that, or bringing it up as a good example, or saying that they accept it as a human way of thinking, because it's not.
It's down to our ethics and morale. It's very subjective, and just because I believe it's extreme, doesn't make it okay to get disrespected, loathed, or not tolerated, because it's not extreme to them, it's logical to them. However, when people truly believe that it's okay to kill 90 people we need to better our education...
Now i'm off to get drunk. Amen.