riddle me this | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

riddle me this

Srin Tuar

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
How would you translate this:

「やっぱり!?」

"Really!?" loses the nuance that the speaker expected it, or that they had a reason to suspect it.

"I knew it!?" just simply won't work as a question, as it is too declarative.

I wonder if anyone has a passable translation for this.

よろしゅうお願いし申す。

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
how about. "I thought so"

Srin Tuar

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
njt said:
how about. "I thought so"
Do you think that would work as a question?

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Srin Tuar said:
Do you think that would work as a question?
Well it depends on the situation really. I've used, and heard やっぱり?used in a way to express that they thought so, just wanted to get a second opinion. Translating too literally can sometimes take away from the meaning... so it's often good to think "outside" the box.

Like when you totally understand the meaning of it, but it doesn't sound right in english, think of what you would use in that situation and go with that (er try not to stray too far...) but yeah. I hope that helps^^;

WinterLion

Grand Taichou
Reaction score
Country
Japan
A little late coming in, but how about "That's it!?"

It would as Taychan said, depend a bit on the context, but that's what I would probably use.

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
"You think?" taken a little sarcastically is also another decent way of expressing it, depending on the character and context.

Srin Tuar

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hehe, thanks everyone.
Ive been mulling it over for some time now, and I think I'm just going to have to discard the questionlike aspect of the statement.

I cannot think of a way to succinctly express: "Is it really the way that I suspected it might be?" without being overly verbose and unnatural. So I'll probably give up on a literal translation and paraphrase it into an exclamation.

皆様方、有難う御座り申した :)

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's really as I just suspected?

^ That's a little bit shorter ^^;

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
EDIT: okay, wow, I thought it was december 2k7, not 2k6. This forum gets so little action :P

Hehe, thanks everyone.
Ive been mulling it over for some time now, and I think I'm just going to have to discard the questionlike aspect of the statement.

I cannot think of a way to succinctly express: "Is it really the way that I suspected it might be?" without being overly verbose and unnatural. So I'll probably give up on a literal translation and paraphrase it into an exclamation.

皆様方、有難う御座り申した :)
Very late, but...when someone says "yappari", what I do is:

If they definitely predicted / assumed the result, "I knew it", "Figures", etc.

If they didn't actually predict it but aren't surprised, "That makes sense", "No surprise there", etc

If they predicted it and are genuinely surprised, it gets tricky, but something like, "I though this might happen" or if it's a big exclamation, "I can't believe it, I was right!" This would be a quicker way to say what you said up there ^^

And if they didn't predict it and are surprised, it doesn't make much sense to use yappari, but if they do, "I'll be damned!" "Holy shit!" or other general exclamations.

Don't feel pressured to translate it exactly, it's one of those tricky ones that doesn't always come across smoothly. It's more important to get their state of mind at that point down and come up with some english that conveys how they feel & what they're trying to say with that "yappari."