TV - RWBY | Page 28 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV RWBY

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
It's a bit late but anyone remembers the fight in volume 3 between weiss and yang against that atlas team? The point was made that they voted for weiss and yang to fight. But... how does that make sense? At least to me it doesn't make sense that team rwby would have chosen those two. Specifically my issue there is weiss. Voting for yang makes sense because she is one of the stronger team rwby members. And her semblance makes her one of the few students that could solo a paladin. So... how does weiss get there with a vote? The way I see it, people would vote like this (assuming they do not vote for themselves of course)
Ruby: Weiss (her bff) or yang (her very capable sister)
weiss: Yang or blake. Weiss isn't nice enough to give her bff a pass.
blake: Yang most likely (her "bff" very capable fighter) or maybe rwby.
yang: Blake or rwby

Under that yang would have the most possible votes followed by blake. That would leave Of course blake second with a more or less tie between weiss and rwby, I am kinda guessing what their reasoning would be of course but overall that weiss was in the team is just odd. It doesn't seem like she would have the votes. The obvious team in this case would be yang and blake. Even rwby and yang would make more sense (since ruby is the fearless leader).
This was also what I thought. Yang is easily the strongest Team RWBY member, so her being chosen is of course undoubtedly expected. My issue with Weiss being part of the team up is that back then she hadn't even learned how to use Summonings. She shouldn't have been stronger than Blake at that point in the story, since Blake even had more mastery over her Semblance. To me Weiss being part of the two on two seemed like a way of having her mess up so that Winter could reprimand her about it later and she'd have a stronger resolve to master her Summonigs (She talked to Winter after the two on two? Iirc :hmm)
Ruby being in there would be kinda impossible considering she's the weakest, my logic for the two on two pairings was that they simply chose the strongest members of each team.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
What is there to notice in the cinder thing?
It was about Mercury and Emerald's relationship, we were just being shown that Cinder was gone :p

Vici

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
So... Has anyone figured out what dust blades are for? Adam hasn't used his for anything and raven didn't seem to do anything with then during her fight with cinder. They did create a huge explosion when they met with cinders attack but that didn't seem intentional or useful. And they break after a few attacks at that. So... Whats the deal?

But Honestly unlike in Blake case ( Vol.2 against Roman and Freezing Ilia weapon or to stuck fox brothers ) or Weiss I didn't get that Raven is getting any advantage from using dust..

* I miss Blake Dual wield and Aura slash ( the last attack ) like wtf...*

Blake clearly benefits from using dust raven aside from having Red/Blue/Yellow sword does not :D
Shame goes for Gravity dust ( Unique one ) when Blake and Ruby used it they gain something in return Raven nothing..

Also, Rip Qrow is Ruby father theory ( At last )

PS: Miles and Kerry are the writers of RWBY...

It was about Mercury and Emerald's relationship, we were just being shown that Cinder was gone :p
Cinder will come back ( or what is left from her will come back :P )

As for Mercury Miles or Kerry says that we may soon see his reason to follow Cinder etc.

As for the Vytal festival, I can understand perhaps why Blake wasn't picked maybe because she didn't want to.

In the first Round, she didn't have a choice but to participate but later she could step down and don't draw attention ( And honestly I'm smh. Relieved that she didn't because Cinder would probably be used the fact that she's the Faunus and that she was a Member of the WF )..

And I don't agree that Yang is the strongest from RWBY but I won't discuss PL ( for me they are equals )

@Emperor Spriggan Fun fact Blake says Ruby's name two times in the entire series which is equal to a number of interactions this two had in the entire series on Screen ( Vol.1 Chapter: 3 and the last one of this Volume ) :epicfacepalmHonestly if M&K won't write more of them together it will start to trigger me :disappoint

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
This was also what I thought. Yang is easily the strongest Team RWBY member, so her being chosen is of course undoubtedly expected. My issue with Weiss being part of the team up is that back then she hadn't even learned how to use Summonings. She shouldn't have been stronger than Blake at that point in the story, since Blake even had more mastery over her Semblance. To me Weiss being part of the two on two seemed like a way of having her mess up so that Winter could reprimand her about it later and she'd have a stronger resolve to master her Summonigs (She talked to Winter after the two on two? Iirc :hmm)
Ruby being in there would be kinda impossible considering she's the weakest, my logic for the two on two pairings was that they simply chose the strongest members of each team.

TBH I am somewhat torn between yang and blake in that regard. Yang has her insane semblance but blake was doing actual combat as a member of the WF before she went to beacon.

As for blake having more mastery over her semblance than weiss, I don't see it TBH. Weiss has a semblance with way too many different uses and she seems competent at most of it even before she had summoning. Blake in turn has a much less useful semblance which is still evolving. Not to mention that combat in rwby ultimately does not even revolve around semblances. Semblances are random and there is no balance whatsoever between them. You could get something as useful as super speed or something as useless as turning skittles red and never even find out you could do that. Blake was stronger than weiss simply because she was a more competent and experienced warrior in general. It's way blake defeated roman meanwhile ruby got her ass consistently handed to her.

Ruby being there would have made sense only in regards to her being the leader but there was no other reason to include her. I guess team work could have been a factor but we have yet to evidence weiss and blake being a particularly good team. Rather we hav seen rwby-weiss or blake-yang being the better teams around.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Cinder will come back ( or what is left from her will come back :P )

As for Mercury Miles or Kerry says that we may soon see his reason to follow Cinder etc.
I'm not sure about Cinder coming back, tbh I want it so much :( But I just don't see it. I'm a little annoyed her grudge with Ruby went nowhere (I suppose she could come back as a Grimm to settle things?), but it seems as if the show wants to shift focus to other villains. Probably realized with Cinder around the others wouldn't shine as much :hmph
Didn't Mercury simply follow Cinder because she offered him a better life? :blink It's similar to Emerald's reason :hmm
As for the Vytal festival, I can understand perhaps why Blake wasn't picked maybe because she didn't want to.
I can agree with this, she seems the type to quietly step down. Weiss is probably the type who would want to fight on the front lines, and Yang likes adventure and the thrill of a good fight :XD
In the first Round, she didn't have a choice but to participate but later she could step down and don't draw attention ( And honestly I'm smh. Relieved that she didn't because Cinder would probably be used the fact that she's the Faunus and that she was a Member of the WF )..

And I don't agree that Yang is the strongest from RWBY but I won't discuss PL ( for me they are equals )

@Emperor Spriggan Fun fact Blake says Ruby's name two times in the entire series which is equal to a number of interactions this two had in the entire series on Screen ( Vol.1 Chapter: 3 and the last one of this Volume ) :epicfacepalmHonestly if M&K won't write more of them together it will start to trigger me :disappoint
Dont forget the time she was describing each of the RWBY members to Sun ;)

But yeah, I think its common knowledge that Blake and Ruby have really limited interactions :SOON Which is really odd for being teammates, though I suppose that's just Blake being Blakey :p
As for blake having more mastery over her semblance than weiss, I don't see it TBH. Weiss has a semblance with way too many different uses and she seems competent at most of it even before she had summoning. Blake in turn has a much less useful semblance which is still evolving. Not to mention that combat in rwby ultimately does not even revolve around semblances. Semblances are random and there is no balance whatsoever between them. You could get something as useful as super speed or something as useless as turning skittles red and never even find out you could do that. Blake was stronger than weiss simply because she was a more competent and experienced warrior in general. It's way blake defeated roman meanwhile ruby got her ass consistently handed to her.
What do you mean by the bolded? :blink Then what does combat revolve on? I guess there are people like Neo and Roman who we'll probably never see their Semblances, but that's a really small minority. For a good part of the series fights depend on Semblances. Unless you're a Maiden :XD
But yeah, agreed on all the rest. Well mostly on Blake being stronger than Weiss, I'm still not sure how Weiss's Semblance had many different uses pre Summoning :hmm She mostly used it as a propeller (Kinda like how Ruby uses her Speed Semblance), and to create Ice, kinda like Gray? That seems a bit too limiting. Imo she peaked as a combatant in Volume 5 when she could summon more than one animal. Beforehand though there was nothing noteworthy about her Semblance. Cinder and Raven used Ice better than Weiss did :heh

Vici

Reaction score
Country
Pyke
But yeah, I think its common knowledge that Blake and Ruby have really limited interactions :SOON Which is really odd for being teammates, though I suppose that's just Blake being Blakey :p
Actually no Blake and Ruby have development but it was offscreen...

Kerry has said ( I may later look for that interview ) that Blake and Ruby situation was similar to Weiss and Ruby : Blake wasn't accepting a fact that someone like Ruby is a team leader but both girls learn to trust each other through actions and training together <<< That's why it triggers me so much you don't cut out such important development between two MC and later act like it canon because they said so ( especially in case when they don't put any other interaction between these two )..

So no it's not Blake being Blakey they just choose the worst way for storytelling " Tell not show "
Dont forget the time she was describing each of the RWBY members to Sun ;)
And Sun was love :3c

Didn't Mercury simply follow Cinder because she offered him a better life? :blink It's similar to Emerald's reason :hmm
I don't think so...

Mercury has killed his father and have a free choice of what to do and Emerald reason is just stupid she follows Cinder because she "owns her everything and isn't hungry anymore " despite the fact of being probably one of the best thieves in the world ...:tem
We saw Neo Semblance..

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
What do you mean by the bolded? :blink Then what does combat revolve on? I guess there are people like Neo and Roman who we'll probably never see their Semblances, but that's a really small minority. For a good part of the series fights depend on Semblances. Unless you're a Maiden :XD
But yeah, agreed on all the rest. Well mostly on Blake being stronger than Weiss, I'm still not sure how Weiss's Semblance had many different uses pre Summoning :hmm She mostly used it as a propeller (Kinda like how Ruby uses her Speed Semblance), and to create Ice, kinda like Gray? That seems a bit too limiting. Imo she peaked as a combatant in Volume 5 when she could summon more than one animal. Beforehand though there was nothing noteworthy about her Semblance. Cinder and Raven used Ice better than Weiss did :heh
We have seen neo's semblance. She creates illusions that seem to crack. According to the wikia the illusions were confirmed to be her semblance in the volume 3 director's commentary.

That said, semblance are but one aspect of combat in rwbyverse. And we have seen repeatedly that it rarely is a decisive factor in fights. And to take that further, we have seen that people within the series who excel at combat even when they do not have semblances that make a speck of a difference in combat. Take raven. Combat wise her semblance does nothing, she might as well be semblance-less. Qrow has a semblance but it is completely unreliable and in teamwork situations he would be better off without it. Penny never evidenced a semblance and yet she managed to advance in the competition through sheer strength and aura. Ren's semblance, if I understand it correctly, blocks negative emotions thus making him invisible to grim. Which is very useful against grim but literally useless against anyone else. Nora has shown her semblance can be insanely powerful but in turn it is also very limited. There is a rather large number of people against whom she could fight that would never ever trigger the semblance.

As for weiss semblance, it is insanely useful. It is the swiss army knife of semblances even without summoning. IIRC she has done the following with it:
1.- Use it to enhance her speed.
2.- Create platforms which ignore gravity. Or more like they simulate gravity. Like when she was fighting the giant wasp, she used the semblance to stay put. Or when she has used it to create paths for rwby to climb.
3.- She used the glyph to propel rwby against that nevermore.
4.- Ice is likely unrelated to her semblance. Rather ice comes from dust manipulation with the sword which she then complements with her glyph.
5.- Time dilation (though I am not sure if this applies to all of her uses of glyph to enhance her speed). According to the wikia this uses lightning dust.
6.- Redirect attacks. Probably an application of what we had seen earlier but against the atlas guy she used her glyph to quickly move around him while also directing ice shards at the guy.
7.- She has used her semblance as a shield a number of times.

Even without summoning the schnee family semblance is kinda insane. Dust manipulation seems to be necessary to bring out it's true potential. And odds are more dust types would bring out even more effects....

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Actually no Blake and Ruby have development but it was offscreen...

Kerry has said ( I may later look for that interview ) that Blake and Ruby situation was similar to Weiss and Ruby : Blake wasn't accepting a fact that someone like Ruby is a team leader but both girls learn to trust each other through actions and training together <<< That's why it triggers me so much you don't cut out such important development between two MC and later act like it canon because they said so ( especially in case when they don't put any other interaction between these two )..

So no it's not Blake being Blakey they just choose the worst way for storytelling " Tell not show "
Since when was Blake that defiant? :blink I'd expect that out of Weiss yes, but why would Blake have a hard time accepting that someone like Ruby was leader? Or its because she was under someone like Adam before?:hmm
Though I suppose its reassuring to hear there was more we were supposed to see more from Blake and Ruby.
And Sun was love :3c
This is how Blake actually feels about Sun :3c

I don't think so...

Mercury has killed his father and have a free choice of what to do and Emerald reason is just stupid she follows Cinder because she "owns her everything and isn't hungry anymore " despite the fact of being probably one of the best thieves in the world ...:tem
:lmao:lmao
We saw Neo Semblance..
I literally remembered it once you wrote this sentence :facepalm My mistake.

Vici

Reaction score
Country
Pyke
This would be so much more fun if only virtually all of blake's story arc didn't involve sun.
That one of the aspects that I hate honestly that Sun as himself doesn't exist as a character sure he has his own opinion etc. but he's always involved with Blake stuff and also all stuff about Faunus, WF is told to an audience by Blake explaining it to Sun..

Yang was supposed to be Blake's partner ( no in shipping way :P ) and they supposed to help each other meanwhile Sun have almost helped Blake with all her struggles and what's left for Yang now?

Also there's a high chance that Sun will still follow Blake and still be more involved in her struggles than Yang ( it's one of the reasons why I want Sun to be left behind not only because it makes sense for him to stay in Haven with team/family but also it would involve Yang finally in Blake arc.. )

@Emperor Spriggan this is something I was also thinking ( I'm glad I'm not alone in that ) bar the promise thing..

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
This would be so much more fun if only virtually all of blake's story arc didn't involve sun.
Isn't this in reverse? :-_- Sun's relevance in the story wagers on Blake, much like how all of Neptune's relevance in the story wagered around Weiss pining after him. Feeding more into how the males in the show are generally poorly characterized.
On another note #makeblakeblakeyagain #mbba

@Emperor Spriggan this is something I was also thinking ( I'm glad I'm not alone in that ) bar the promise thing..
:wtf:wtf
Ok, this would be awesome, honestly. It wouldn't make me exactly change my opinion of Sun, but it would make him 100 times more bearable than he already is.
I like how the post lowkey calls Sun a stalker btw :heh
Yang was supposed to be Blake's partner ( no in shipping way :P )
:8C

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Isn't this in reverse? :-_- Sun's relevance in the story wagers on Blake, much like how all of Neptune's relevance in the story wagered around Weiss pining after him. Feeding more into how the males in the show are generally poorly characterized.

:wtf:wtf
Ok, this would be awesome, honestly. It wouldn't make me exactly change my opinion of Sun, but it would make him 100 times more bearable than he already is.
I like how the post lowkey calls Sun a stalker btw :heh

:8C
I wouldn't go as far as saying that males are poorly characterized. It's true that males in the story are generally support cast but that is because the main cast is female. And you do have male characters who are important beyond merely suport roles. Jaune, ren, qrow, ozpin... Plenty of males who stand on their own.

I would like some more context into why sun thought it would be better to follow blake than to confront her earlier. Because the whole thing does look kinda stalky. I could understand if sun for instance went "leave? Screw that, you are clearly hurt, emotionally and physically, as your friend i cannot in good conscience leave you alone, i will hang out for a bit until you at least appear ok and safe and not in a rampage for justice. I am also not going to follow you for god knows how long to make a surprise yet not effective appearance. Can you imagine how creepy that would look? Specially if I add a hood....".

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Don't you look at blake nowadays and just wonder.... WHO THE FUCK IS THAT!? Where is the real blake? Current blake is basically what an alien from another dimension would look like if it tried to pass for a human after studying humans for 25 minutes. ok, the situation is not that bad of course but come on, she doesn't even resemble the character we saw in volumes 1-3. Her personality is different, her semblance is different (under the excuse that it is evolving) and even her fighting style is different. Nothing of the blake we knew remains. #makeblakeblakeyagain.

Crescent Jinx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Don't you look at blake nowadays and just wonder.... WHO THE FUCK IS THAT!? Where is the real blake? Current blake is basically what an alien from another dimension would look like if it tried to pass for a human after studying humans for 25 minutes. ok, the situation is not that bad of course but come on, she doesn't even resemble the character we saw in volumes 1-3. Her personality is different, her semblance is different (under the excuse that it is evolving) and even her fighting style is different. Nothing of the blake we knew remains. #makeblakeblakeyagain.
Honestly I’m rewatching RWBY right now and I am saying this about half the characters.

I guess Yang has a reason to be so hard now but most of the other characters don’t have an excuse....

For example, Ren.... ok he’s a side character......... and a bit bland.....

When he was introduced he was a badass...

...with an awkward side...

...and sexiness.

Volume 3 basically made him the single most boring regularly appearing character on the show. :fail

Vol 4 and 5 have basically made him into a Asian version of Jaune :emocat

You can do that with a number of characters: Cinder, Yang, Blake, heck even Adam is just a shadow of what he was when he was first introduced. He grows more hot headed and irriational from the serious extremist person we saw before.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Honestly I’m rewatching RWBY right now and I am saying this about half the characters.

I guess Yang has a reason to be so hard now but most of the other characters don’t have an excuse....

For example, Ren.... ok he’s a side character......... and a bit bland.....

When he was introduced he was a badass...

...with an awkward side...

...and sexiness.

Volume 3 basically made him the single most boring regularly appearing character on the show. :fail

Vol 4 and 5 have basically made him into a Asian version of Jaune :emocat

You can do that with a number of characters: Cinder, Yang, Blake, heck even Adam is just a shadow of what he was when he was first introduced. He grows more hot headed and irriational from the serious extremist person we saw before.

TBH ren is a character I never thought much of to begin with. When I saw volumes 1-3 all I thought of the guy was "that asian guy that ALWAYS gets knocked out". He seemed fragile and didn't say much. The only time he more or less caught my attention was in volume 1 when he an nora were introduced. Because nora was being the most annoying woman in the universe and his reaction was... just a casual friendship. But badass? Nope, he gets knocked out too much. Phyrra had the monopoly on badass in that team. And she occasionally allowed nora to have some scraps. Sexyness? That honestly never crossed my mind. If anything I was even surprised that the guy who makes the status charts would build a joke solely on ren being sexy.

That phrase in that video amounts to what I thought of ren until volume 4. You don't have to watch the whole thing, you'll know the phrase.

With yang I more or less buy what happened to her. Because she went through legitimate trauma and has had to adapt her fighting style and personality. And blake did go through actual trauma but unlike yang she is not recognizable at all... She might as well have been replaced by an alien. I found it a tad weird how adam was made into a whiny kid. I don't specifically mind this being the case but I would have liked more development on this. And weiss still hurts me. The way she fights nowadays is too different from before. I could buy it maybe if it was better executed but it isn't so I am not buying it...

Crescent Jinx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
TBH ren is a character I never thought much of to begin with. When I saw volumes 1-3 all I thought of the guy was "that asian guy that ALWAYS gets knocked out". He seemed fragile and didn't say much. The only time he more or less caught my attention was in volume 1 when he an nora were introduced. Because nora was being the most annoying woman in the universe and his reaction was... just a casual friendship. But badass? Nope, he gets knocked out too much. Phyrra had the monopoly on badass in that team. And she occasionally allowed nora to have some scraps. Sexyness? That honestly never crossed my mind. If anything I was even surprised that the guy who makes the status charts would build a joke solely on ren being sexy.

That phrase in that video amounts to what I thought of ren until volume 4. You don't have to watch the whole thing, you'll know the phrase.
Yes in volume 1-2 he wasn’t that bad of getting knocked out.

I actually don’t like the character of Ren but he’s the less offending male of the main 3 (Sun, Jaune, Ren). Pyrrha and Nora were the better fighters of the group, with Pyrrha being literally the best of both Rwby and JNPR. Jaune being the person who sits thinks up what everyone else should be doing (with the leader role), and Ren got demoted more and more to being just there to fill up space. In Vol 3 like I said he became the singularly most boring/uninteresting character on the show. And that really continues. Even through out his backflash, it was tiresome as a whole and most interesting thing was his connection to Nora. In 5, he’s happy-go-lucky Confucius.

With yang I more or less buy what happened to her. Because she went through legitimate trauma and has had to adapt her fighting style and personality.
Yes, well like I said, Yang has an excuse.... She seems to have not only PTSD and losing her arm but it’s like the happiest person is will fall the hardest type of thing.

And blake did go through actual trauma but unlike yang she is not recognizable at all... She might as well have been replaced by an alien. I found it a tad weird how adam was made into a whiny kid. I don't specifically mind this being the case but I would have liked more development on this. And weiss still hurts me. The way she fights nowadays is too different from before. I could buy it maybe if it was better executed but it isn't so I am not buying it...
Like this?

It’s like she lost her rage to use archenemy :heh

I agree with you. There is a change in the character(s). Some are executed well like Yang. Others like Blake suffer from more than just a change in the story and style. I think it comes from not truly understanding the character OR maybe lacking the vision that Monty had when he started the series. Am really curious on how they are going to follow up season 4 and 5 though. Cuz to me Blake started becoming a different person when in 4th volume, we learned she was basically a princess.

Last edited:

Vici

Reaction score
Country
Pyke
It’s like she lost her rage to use archenemy :heh

Yeah Blake really suffers same goes for Ruby and Weiss tbh ( I know it's cool she got summoning out of nowhere but it shouldn't be the only thing that she will try to use to win ) Honestly dunno Kerry said that " We are aware " and they specifically want to focus on that but will they fix it? I honestly doubt that we will see all character back in all the glory..

What's hard to recreate in Yang's style she just punches :D...

we learned she was basically a princess.

Dunno why so many people have this kind of headcanon...
Aura slash basically two characters have shown to be able to use this technique Blake and Qrow

Blake in that fight and against Paladin
Qrow against Winter and Tyrian

Bring Aura slash back :arf