Scanning - Scanning Help for RAWS | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Scanning Scanning Help for RAWS

Crayola

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure where I was supposed to put this thread. But anyway, I was wondering about how to actually scan manga. Like there are no raws for certain and series, so the only way to get them would be to buy the manga and scan it yourself. So I was wondering about what scanner you use and maybe the techniques you use to get it as high a quality as it is, particularly for tankobans.

Also wondering if there are any scanners out there because I want to buy some manga and it'd be easier for someone who's good at this and has experience doing it to do it rather than me. Not sure when I plan on buying yet though because I'd ratehr buy a batch to save on shipping. Unless of course you live in Japan or somewhere close to there whereas I'd be able to have it shipped to you directly instead.

[nami] Moved. ^^ [/nami]

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver_Sea

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Last edited:

Crayola

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Scanning Help

thanks, looks like a lot more work then i thought it'd be

Silver_Sea

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Re: Scanning Help

Hi Crayola...I finished writing my scan guide and its posted up at the MH Academy. http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=601064#post601064

I dunno if I might have confused you by introducing you Ookla's scan guide earlier. Scanning isn't as complicated as that. You can set it on "auto" and produce a decent scan, too, but I hope I explained calibration so that its easy to do.

Summary of the Process:
Choose Test Page> Photoshop > File > Import > TWAIN ( eg ScanGear)> Preview > adjust gamma>adjust histogram > record down your gamma, black-point and white-point value> Scan.
Repeat until you get the perfect scan > Save your gamma and histogram settings.

Gamma = Adjust Brightness
Histogram = Leveling.
You only need to tweak the "gamma" and "histogram" settings...or even just either gamma or histo when you become an expert.

Last edited: