School subjects | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

School subjects

richvh

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone know school subject abbreviations? Below is a quote from History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi chapter 78, with Shigure (playing the part of Miu's mother) reporting what Miu's last year's marks (when she would have been 3rd year middle school):

美羽の成績は国10社10体10保体9物10数10古10英9科10。

And here's my best guesses as to the subjects:

Miu's grades were Japanese 10, Social Studies 10, Gym 10, Health 9, Physics 10, Math 10, History 10, English 9, Science 10

I'm pretty sure "Physics" for 物 is wrong, and not entirely sure about some of the others. If you guys don't know, it's OK, it will get corrected by my language exchange partner when I send the chapter to her for check.

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Actually that all looks right to me. I'd assume that it is indeed Physics considering 物理学, etc. The rest I'm pretty sure are all correct.

richvh

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Physics as well as (general) Science the same year? That's what makes me doubt it. I have to be wrong about one of the two.

It seems I only got one wrong, and it wasn't Physics. 古 is Japanese Classics, not History.

Oops - looking at her last message again, I got two wrong: 保体 is Health and Physical Education, rather than just Health.

Or perhaps I wasn't wrong about 保体:
me said:
アメリカでは(少なくとも、自分の高校では)Physical EducationとはGymと同じです。Healthは別の科目です。
her said:
そうですよね。保体は、保健体育という科目です。
私も同じだったような気がしますが、体育はGymで
保健体育は、healthだけの方がいいかなと思いました。
これは、体を動かすのではなく、講義(lecture)だけでした。

Last edited: