Scientists invent device to stop Global Warming | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Scientists invent device to stop Global Warming

Roanapur

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/nextnews7.16b.html

Chemists at the University of California, San Diego have created a device that uses sunlight to transform harmful CO2 gas into fuel that could replace all the gasoline used in transportation.

Clifford Kubiak, professor of chemistry and biochemistry and Aaron Sathrum have developed a prototype device that can capture energy from the sun, convert it to electrical energy and “split” carbon dioxide into carbon monoxide (CO) and oxygen.

The amazing process produces CO (carbon monoxide) which can be processed by bacterial fermentation to produce ethanol, and massive amounts industrial chemicals used to produce plastics. By splitting CO2 you can save fuel, produce useful chemicals and eliminate global warming greenhouse gases.

The device designed by Kubiak and Sathrum to split carbon dioxide utilizes a semiconductor and two thin layers of catalysts. It splits carbon dioxide to generate carbon monoxide and oxygen in a three-step process. The first step is the capture of solar energy photons by the semiconductor. The second step is the conversion of optical energy into electrical energy by the semiconductor. The third step is the deployment of electrical energy to the catalysts. The catalysts convert carbon dioxide to carbon monoxide on one side of the device and to oxygen on the other side.

The US uses about 400 million gallon of gasoline a day and produces about 50 million tons of CO2. The goal now is to scale this process up to replace that amount of gasoline and convert most of the manmade CO2 gases in the US.
.....WOW

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that is a kinda of dangerous process. CO is actually more harmful than CO2. CO is a colorless, odorless and not to mention poisonous gas vapor. A lot of precaution must be taken when fermenting the CO into ethanol. A minor leak could cause a major problem.

The thought behind it is incredible though. The air quality will become much better if that process is used correctly.

I think the better discovery that I've read so far was a man finding a way to convert thermal energy into sound and then convert sound into electrical energy.

Anyway, there are much better alternatives for running a car than switching form oil-based fuel source to an ethanol fuel source.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That's pretty awesome: Turning CO2 into fuel. So, all these things that Al Gore is trying to get rid off could actually save the world...ironic.

rabb

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
unfortunately, it is too little, too late. too much damage has been done. we, as a people, would need to bring the planet's average temperature down 2 degrees to fix the damages we've done... it took us 100 years of the worst possible treatment of the planet to get it to go that high... i dont think anything we do will be enough to bring it down in time. the ice caps are melting, the alantic current is shutting down. in fifty years, the earth will be in a new ice age, Europe getting hit the hardest by it due to the way the current travels. i dont think anything short of that ice age will heal the damage we've done. *isn't trying to be alarmist, but that is what i believe will happen, based on solid facts.*

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
What I'm afraid of with that new discovery is that if we become to dependent upon it, it could upset the fragile balance of the air composition of Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, Oxygen and not to mention the other gases prevalent in the air.

As an energy alternative, it is not a good one.

But Rabb, if the people in power would allow change, it's still not too late to change.

Jafoi

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The earth is dying and there’s nothing that we can do to stop that.
And all of that disasters that we can see on television, is the beginning of nature revenge against the humans.

We’re like a cancer, so the earth is just pushing us away.

Ps: Sorry about my English, I’m not pretty good :P

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think humans could either be for the good of the world or for the bad. It depends on which path we take.

I believe that we are due or read that we are due for another ice age or so.

Zwivix

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Wow that would be somewhat good if it actually worked. But have they tried to do things on a Global scale? This might not work for the whole world.

And like they have said before CO is very dangerous and if the whole world uses it...the atmosphere will be full of CO!!!

Hope they can fix some of the problems casue this is a very promising project!

SOL_the egomorphic

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
CO is what you die of when you gas yourself in a car, isn't it?

Hm. . . maybe there's something to what you said, Jafoi. The crust of the earth is floating on lava, maybe global warming could cause earthquakes. . . . . . . . . . .

mrcongojack

Reaction score
Country
United States
CO is what you die of when you gas yourself in a car, isn't it?

Hm. . . maybe there's something to what you said, Jafoi. The crust of the earth is floating on lava, maybe global warming could cause earthquakes. . . . . . . . . . .
Yep. Carbon monoxide will kill you. I urge everyone to get a carbon monoxide detector to make sure you don't get gassed by the stuff. I have one in my house, the only problem is it keeps going off. I wonder why...

I don't think that the carbon monoxide produced by this device is that bad, it is recycled into ethanol.

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well let's hope it gets recycled 100% which is near impossible but at least most of it will. I'm sure they will be negative long-term effects for those that service the contraption.