Hangout - Shingeki no Kyojin Hangout Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Shingeki no Kyojin Hangout Thread

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Re: Shingeki no Kyojin by ISAYAMA Hajime

I'm loving this so far :zomg Even if the art isn't the best around, somehow the scratchiness of it works pretty well with the nature of the story.

I really liked Mikasa's flashback, it gave me chills down my spine in a good way many times. I also really liked how Mikasa rallied everyone, using Eren's words too to galvanise them to take that leap of faith because Eren's right - you don't stand a chance if you don't do anything at all.

The volume ends with another cliffhanger, which kinda sucks, and I'm really tempted to read volume 3 raw now. I just might do that :darn It's obvious that Eren's presence was what caused that titan to be different from the rest, but why? Was he piloting it like one would a gundam? :blink I agree with Estranho that it didn't look like he became the titan, since they became 2 distinct things at the end. I wonder if Eren is the only one capable of this because of the stuff the doc did to him before, or if this is a new method they can use to fight the titans.

Dass Jennir

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

I'm loving this so far :zomg Even if the art isn't the best around, somehow the scratchiness of it works pretty well with the nature of the story.
[2]:p
And i love how creepy are the smiles of the Titans.:grin2
I really liked Mikasa's flashback, it gave me chills down my spine in a good way many times. I also really liked how Mikasa rallied everyone, using Eren's words too to galvanise them to take that leap of faith because Eren's right - you don't stand a chance if you don't do anything at all.
Yeah, that flashback was great.
And Mikasa showed qualities of a true leader on that moment.

The volume ends with another cliffhanger, which kinda sucks, and I'm really tempted to read volume 3 raw now. I just might do that :darn It's obvious that Eren's presence was what caused that titan to be different from the rest, but why? Was he piloting it like one would a gundam? :blink I agree with Estranho that it didn't look like he became the titan, since they became 2 distinct things at the end. I wonder if Eren is the only one capable of this because of the stuff the doc did to him before, or if this is a new method they can use to fight the titans.
Hmm...Saladesu, guess you and Estranho are right...;)
Maybe Eren was acting like some kind of parasite which can control its host. There are some cases in nature of this happening(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacculina).
After being swallowed he changed the Titan's appearance and behavior to kill others Titans instead of eaten humans.
And i am pretty sure this has a connection with that injections he received from his father, since everyone else who got eaten end up dead.

ps:Maybe Mikasa can do that too if Eren's father used her as a guinea pig as well.

Last edited:

Host Samurai

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

That manga seems interesting, I will read it. How many chapters are available so far? (Raws)

Galactic Tomahawk

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

The art reminds me a little of Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, where the artist has trouble drawing humans but does a fantastic job on other more bizarre/surreal looking aspects, in this case the Titans.

Also Misaka is pretty swiftly establishing herself as the best character.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Woooooah! I just read the 2nd volume!!!! I never expected it to be THIS good!!!

What a page this was:

Epic scene. Most WTF moment.

Last edited:

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Yeah really great stuff. Amazing development but I predicted something back few posts/pages. I think his dad is involved with creation of Titans. Darn it, now we have to wait for volume 3.

Dass Jennir

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

What a page this was:
I liked when Mikasa held Eren in her arms and began to cry/scream...touching moment :smugbunny

thornofcarrion said:
Yeah really great stuff. Amazing development but I predicted something back few posts/pages. I think his dad is involved with creation of Titans. Darn it, now we have to wait for volume 3.
The titans have existed for centuries, and what is left from human kind was living the last one hundred years inside that city protected by the three walls.

Unless Eren's father(Grisha) is immortal there is no way for this to be true.;)

editing:

Guess he was just researching a way to even the fight against them and using his son as test subject.

Last edited:

Sama_al_Azraq

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

That manga seems interesting, I will read it. How many chapters are available so far? (Raws)
19 chapters so far, it's monthly though, so you'll have to wait longer for each chapter.
Also Misaka is pretty swiftly establishing herself as the best character.
It's Mikasa, not Misaka. Misaka makes me think of biribiri girl in To aru Majutsu no Index lol
The titans have existed for centuries, and what is left from human kind was living the last one hundred years inside that city protected by the three walls.
And not to mention that the walls already erected when people evacuated to the new continent. There's really more about the titans behind the screen.
We will know more about Grisha when the secret about the underground lab is unfold, but for now we can only guessing.

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Unless Eren's father(Grisha) is immortal there is no way for this to be true.;)
Yes, I agree but I was trying to imply that he has found some secret about them or perhaps learned how they were created. In my opinion, the medicine he gave to his son is what made Eren a titan.

Eren seem to be different from others. The others were more like zombies, but Eren looked he knew what he was doing. It goes without saying he could recognized his friends and tried to save them. I can't help but think that Titans are meant to be some weapons.

Sama_al_Azraq

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Eren seem to be different from others. The others were more like zombies, but Eren looked he knew what he was doing. It goes without saying he could recognized his friends and tried to save them.
In volume 3, it says the other way around, actually.
Eren doesn't remember what happen when he transformed into giant. And no, he couldn't recognize his friend, because in later chapter he attacked Mikasa after transforming into giant.
He did control the giant body though, after Armin pierce a cutter blade into his arm so he regain his self, that is.
One thing is, the other titans recognize Eren as human (that's why they attacked him, while fellow titans don't attack each other).
Oh, well. Looks like I can't join discussion in this thread without giving spoilers...

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

What a page this was:
<hr noshade size="1">
njt told me how epic this series was a few weeks before volume 1 was scanlated. He read all three volumes at once, pretty quickly too. Volume 3 was the one that blew the doors open in Japan too; hitting number one, charting for over a month, and boosting volume 1 and 2 back into the top 10. Volume 4 could move into Naruto terrain. Either way, this looks like the next FMA.

What really impressed me this chapter was how much of an ass kicker Mikasa is. She's the anti-Sakura.

The tension this volume was amazing. Unlike most action manga, it really felt like the characters were in a life or death situation. No one had a super-epic magic weapon to get themselves out of trouble.

Eren's return was definitely epic!! But it raises just as many questions as answers? How did his limbs grow back? How did he "pilot" that titan? Now I'm craving volume 3 :p

I don't think he did, for reasons the others have said. But he knows a lot. I'm sure he is key to unlocking their secrets.

I liked when Mikasa held Eren in her arms and began to cry/scream...touching moment :smugbunny
I almost made that my sig. I liked that panel a little more but the one I used looks a little more like a signature, I think.

I love your sig btw. Great coloring!

Dass Jennir

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Yes, I agree but I was trying to imply that he has found some secret about them or perhaps learned how they were created. In my opinion, the medicine he gave to his son is what made Eren a titan.
I agree with you. That serum did something to Eren... By the way, i wonder where Grisha is hiding since the third wall was breached.
Eren seem to be different from others. The others were more like zombies, but Eren looked he knew what he was doing. It goes without saying he could recognized his friends and tried to save them. I can't help but think that Titans are meant to be some weapons.
I wouldn't say he reconize them, i guess simply his desire for revenge against the monsters who killed his mom made him focus all his attention on the Titans. He didn't look at Mikasa or Armin not even once. it was like he didn't mind them, just as the Titans do with another animals.
What really impressed me this chapter was how much of an ass kicker Mikasa is. She's the anti-Sakura.
hehe, i like her too. It's always nice when a protagonist isn't a weak and pathetic pushover:hearts
Besides this volume really gave her a lot of development on her motivations to keep going. (in two volume she grown more as a character than Sakura in all 54 volumes).
The tension this volume was amazing. Unlike most action manga, it really felt like the characters were in a life or death situation. No one had a super-epic magic weapon to get themselves out of trouble.
Indeed, there is death everywhere. You can really feel they are fighting a war against the extinction of human race. That is a major point for the author.
Eren's return was definitely epic!! But it raises just as many questions as answers? How did his limbs grow back? How did he "pilot" that titan? Now I'm craving volume 3 :p
[2] :p
I almost made that my sig. I liked that panel a little more but the one I used looks a little more like a signature, I think.
I love your sig btw. Great coloring!
thanks for the compliment, i loved this image too :amuse

Last edited:

Duzy

Reaction score
Country
Poland

I may come off strange but so far this manga gives me a HxH vibe. The theme of superior beings from the most recent chapters (if you can call it recent) but with the story quality of HxH's beginning.

When I started reading volume 2 an hour ago there was no way I wouldn't finish. To hell with sleep.

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

In volume 3, it says the other way around, actually.
Eren doesn't remember what happen when he transformed into giant. And no, he couldn't recognize his friend, because in later chapter he attacked Mikasa after transforming into giant.
He did control the giant body though, after Armin pierce a cutter blade into his arm so he regain his self, that is.
One thing is, the other titans recognize Eren as human (that's why they attacked him, while fellow titans don't attack each other).
Oh, well. Looks like I can't join discussion in this thread without giving spoilers...
:wtf you spoiled me and now I want to look at raws for volume 3.

So I was totally wrong, not the first or the last time it happened :p. It makes things more interesting.

I don't think he did, for reasons the others have said. But he knows a lot. I'm sure he is key to unlocking their secrets.
My reason for implying what I said was, IIRC, simply what his father gave him back then. I could be deadly wrong.

I wouldn't say he reconize them, i guess simply his desire for revenge against the monsters who killed his mom made him focus all his attention on the Titans. He didn't look at Mikasa or Armin not even once. it was like he didn't mind them, just as the Titans do with another animals.
That makes sense *pats DJ*.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I saw this thread in Kaiten's link and heard of it before,so i decided to read it and i'm glad i did.
The art is okay.It looks very amateurish in terms of faces and anatomy,but i like the sketchy style and the great use of perspective sometimes.
As for the plot,i can't complain at all.The character development and the secrets about the titans are very intriguing.

I'm looking forward to volume 3.

Rindou

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Japan

volume 4 will be out 8 April here in Japan, and volume 5 will be out about another 5 months after it. so you guys might don't want to hurry volume 3 translation or there will be nothing to read. it is slow in progress to because it is a monthly. btw, it has 2 extra chapters printed in Weekly Shonen Magazine, i wonder whether it will be printed in the comic or not.

Sama_al_Azraq

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

you spoiled me and now I want to look at raws for volume 3.
Sorry about it then lol
it has 2 extra chapters printed in Weekly Shonen Magazine, i wonder whether it will be printed in the comic or not.
Isn't one of the extra chapter in volume 3? The other one might be in volume 4, although putting it in the volume will make the story kinda cut halfway, and I think it will be better to have one more main story chapter in volume 4, and have the 2nd extra chapter in volume 5.
Because with having Marco dead in the end of volume 4 and conclusion of the flashback, the phase will be kept. And volume 5 can have his silhouette shadowed already.
Having the last flashback in volume 5 will make volume 4 feel sluggish and that won't be good.

Hiro Hayase

Reaction score
Country
United States

It's such a refreshing manga, it's nice to see that Eren and Mikasa are no pushovers. They actually have and use intellect and leadership unlike other mainstream shonen characters.

Chapter 6 was an amazing flashback. I was not expecting Eren to actually murder those two human smugglers :o, and Mikasa killing the last guy to save Eren. Chapter 7-9 were awesome action scenes, I thought to myself "Is this a clash of the titans?" :) Mikasa hugging Eren and crying tears of joy was touching. :wub

I really like the rough art style since it really suits a manga of this genre, but proportions are sometimes off a bit. It's only going to get better over time though. :D

This manga actually reminds me of a few other works such Verdant Lord and Claymore plot-wise. In Verdant Lord the protagonist is killed in the first chapter, but his older brother injects with some plant DNA, thus the protagonist is revived into a hybrid human/plant. The equipment the soldiers use in Shingeki no Kyojin are similar to the equipment used in Chrome Shelled Regios. I guess apocalyptic settings are getting popular with mangaka's now.

Nevertheless, its a great manga! Yup I agree Mikasa is way better than Sakura. lol

P.S. After reading chapter 19,
it seems like Eren's only option is join the scouting legion to avoid further troubles in the future. Mikasa was practically glaring at the scouting legion's leader for beating up Eren in front of her. However, the leader did save Eren because the people in the audience were about to open fire on him.

Last edited:

Sama_al_Azraq

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

It's such a refreshing manga, it's nice to see that Eren and Mikasa are no pushovers. They actually have and use intellect and leadership unlike other mainstream shonen characters.
I don't know if the words "intellect and leadership" fit Eren. With him being hot-blooded and actually bring his team into annihilation in first volume of the manga (r.i.p. to Thomas Wagner, Mina Carolina, Nack Tiaz and Mirius Zerumskis). Even characters in the manga said that he'll die quickly because of his temper.
Besides it's official that Marco and Jan more qualified as leader than Eren.
it seems like Eren's only option is join the scouting legion to avoid further troubles in the future.
Eren wants to join there from the start, so no problem with that.
I wonder if there will be a fight between Mikasa and Rivai later on. Although from the power comparison, Mikasa said to be as strong as 100 soldier while Rivai as one brigade, so Rivai probably stronger than her.

Dass Jennir

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

volume 4 will be out 8 April here in Japan, and volume 5 will be out about another 5 months after it. so you guys might don't want to hurry volume 3 translation or there will be nothing to read. it is slow in progress to because it is a monthly. btw, it has 2 extra chapters printed in Weekly Shonen Magazine, i wonder whether it will be printed in the comic or not.
Mortem from the Manga Editor group said volume #3 translated version will be out in a few weeks...so maybe he is waiting for the volume #4 release.
Guess this is one the reasons why this story is selling so much.:p
Chapter 6 was an amazing flashback. I was not expecting Eren to actually murder those two human smugglers :o, and Mikasa killing the last guy to save Eren. Chapter 7-9 were awesome action scenes, I thought to myself "Is this a clash of the titans?" :) Mikasa hugging Eren and crying tears of joy was touching. :wub
Looks like they have something wrong: Eren was like a mini psycho killing the two guys and Mikasa can turn off her body limits to have more strength and speed than a normal human.
The hugging scene was a great way to finish the volume:hbunny
Nevertheless, its a great manga! Yup I agree Mikasa is way better than Sakura. lol
Mikasa>................................................Sakura:3c

Last edited: