Quiz Shiritori Word Chain Thread (Summer, 2014): Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread

I almost chose トーマス・エジソン(Thomas Alva Edison) since "天才とは、1%のひらめきと99%の努力である。(Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration.)" is one of my favorite quotes, BUT it ends with ン.

So, I go with another actor: トム・クルーズ (Tom Cruise) 

Edit/add: ブルドッグ・ソースis popular near Tokyo (in Kanto). I almost always use イカリソース instead.
 
Last edited:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

"Zu" of all things... :p Can't think of someone whose name begins with "zu" from the top of my head, so I'm gonna cheat and disregard the topic all together:

ずがい (頭蓋) cranium

Not too sure why that was the first thing that came to my head but there you go :XD (No pun intended.)
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

If we're switching to anatomy...

いのふ (胃の腑) stomach
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

It's a tough one. I hope a general body part is acceptable.

ふくらはぎ, calf (calves) of the leg(s)

Next person starts with ぎ (ぎ or き if you are not registered as a translator on MH, excluding Utsune, Sai_the_Shaman, and asari of course.)
 
Last edited:

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Tech
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
2,916
Reaction score
2,205
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

hmmmm not technically a body part, but I just finished translating KuroBasu for this week and I think this works (loosely :p)

擬似的な「皇帝の眼」(ぎじてきなエンペラーアイ)

My first three pointer XD
1) starts with Gi
2) Comes from a manga
3) (technically) a body part >.> maybe sorta...
 

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

Was hoping somebody could ignored the random theme I inadvertently set, 'cos anatomy definitely isn't easy ^^; I absolutely couldn't think of a ぎ word at all... Was planning to cheat and go with ぎし (義肢) if Sai hadn't answered :XD If anyone could enlighten me on a natural body part beginning with ぎ...

Anyways,
いんとう (咽頭) pharynx (Had to look up the English for that ^^; The Japanese/Chinese name is much simpler)
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

Something easy:

うで (腕) arm
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

でべそ (protruding navel)

Nex person starts with そ.

@cmertb
I was going to say うなじ(nape of the neck) which ends with dakuten, but うで is a good one.

@Utsune
I know that I can't enlighten you:mono with ぎし (義歯, fake teeth) or  ぎっくりごし (ぎっくり腰, strained back), but how about: ぎゅうにく(牛肉, beef)? I guess ぎゅうじ (牛耳, ox ears) would do.

@Sai_the_Shaman
Talking about Kurobasu (Kuroko no Basket), I could have chosen
伊月 俊(いづき しゅん)の「鷲の目」(イーグルアイ) "Shun Izukis's Egle-eyes" following your shiritori style, but I was too late.
 

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Tech
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
2,916
Reaction score
2,205
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

Hmmm I guess I'll change the theme to school related and since it's the season:

卒業式 (そつぎょうしき) - Graduation Ceremony
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

きまつテスト (期末テスト) finals (almost said 試験 :) )
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

とうこうきょひ(登校拒否, refusal to go to school)
 

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Tech
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
2,916
Reaction score
2,205
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

昼の囲碁部 (ひるのいごぶ)Noon Igo Club

In my high school, clubs were held during noontime rather than before/after school (technically it was during lunch break but 昼食時 starts with ち...dammit). I ran the Go club during my last two years there...
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

ぶんぶりょうどう (文武両道) accomplished both academically and athletically (of course, the original meaning is somewhat different)
 

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

うわばき (上履き) Indoor shoes
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

きょうとう (教頭, often called きょうとうせんせい 教頭先生, an assistant principal)

@sai
No wonder your name starts with sai.  [Sai (藤原佐為 ) from Hikaru no Go.]
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

うんどうかい (運動会) athletic meet

HnG is my favorite anime of all time, but I hate go... as well as chess, checkers, and all similar games. I detest games with no randomness or fog of war. That's why I love playing card games. :)
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

いむしつ (医務室) infirmary; school health clinic
 

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

つれづれ (徒然) Tedium :nomoar :nomoar :nomoar :teach
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

れっとうせい (劣等生) student suffering from 徒然 at school
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Shiritori Word Chain Thread [NEW]

Funny, 劣等生 may not know what 徒然 means .

いいんかい (委員会, committee)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top