Hangout - Shoujo & Josei Hangout Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Shoujo & Josei Hangout Thread

SilvaShado

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Re: General Josei Discussion

Those are good guidelines. Good distinctions between Josei and Shoujo.

If there's still titles that blur the line for you, could go either way, you have to decide who the manga is for. If its to recommend to someone younger, you might want to call it Josei, just to be on the safe side. If its for someone older, I think it'd be tougher because some of the stuff I've read that's labeled for older audiences hasn't been very mature. So that's a call that could be made based more on content.

mewtant_x

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Re: Josei Manga Recommendation Thread

Most of what I read or watch fit more into shoujo, shounen and light BL. The anime I watched which I felt josei is xxxHolic, where Yoko's clients are josei (including Yoko herself) and they hope Yoko can help to grant their wishes or solve their problems. It's classified as seinen here, but there is no male-oriented violence in this anime that is commom in seinen.

It is hard to classify anime/manga into shoujo, shounen, etc. Sometimes BL wonders into seinen in some websites.

[nami] Moved here, since sounds like josei discussion ^^[/nami]

Last edited by a moderator:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Re: Josei Manga Recommendation Thread

hmmm, well I've never tried xxxholic. haha. Maybe I'll give it a shot then. thanks.

farseerdk

Reaction score
Country
Canada

yah im pretty sure xxxholic should be considered josei and not seinnen... the readership for that series is predominantly female anyway... plus why would they have all those "male bonding moments" in a seinnen manga?

not to say I (yeah, i'm a guy) don't like xxxholic or think it's too girly or watever, but i do like both josei and seinnen mangas and i think it should be considered josei.

But yah, as previously mentioned, Honey and Clover is possibly my favourite animation (I've got some shonen mangas i like more lol) of all time, and I'm pretty sure it's considered Josei.

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Whether it is josei or shoujo can be determined by :

- Content [ ... ]
- Characters Involved [ ... ]
- Drama [ ... ]
That is actually not correct. I thought so too at first, but the Japanese are a little weird with this.

Josei, Shoujo, Shounen and Seinen are demographic genres. They aren't descriptive genres like Comedy, Romance, Fantasy or Drama and as such not content-related. Whether a manga is classified as Josei or Shoujo is decided by the magazine it gets published in. XxxHolic is simply a Seinen because it is published in a Seinen magazine. That's all.
There was a little fuss a while ago about a very bloody and violant Shounen (which was clearly adult material) and people tried - because of the content - to classify it as Seinen. In fact, it was published in a Shounen magazine and as such classified by the Japanese. If they want to change the demographic genre, they simply change magazines, like they did with Bastard!! - from Shounen to Seinen.

But besides that, there are a few descriptive subgenres. So is Magical Girlfriend (Mahou Kanojo) a typical Shounen/Seinen subgenre that gets easily confused with Shoujo/Josei since the whole story seems to be "girlie" at first sight (e.g. Chobits, Ah! My Goddess, 3x3 Eyes, Elfen Lied, ...). Also there are a lot of Seinen fitting more to the female audience (e.g. Bitter Virgin, which deals with a pretty serious - female - topic, Blood Alone and Emma).

We're usually right about the content, simple because a Seinen is usually violant action, a Shounen is usually a hero-adventure, a Shoujo is usually first love romance and a Josei is usually about the daily troubles of an older woman. So the discussion only gets problematic when a manga does not fit into these stereotypes. But that's exactly what it is: stereotypes - it is not a true indicator for the genre.

Last edited:

Tepie

Reaction score
Country
United States

hmm, is there a old date limit, to when you can post to a thread? I like Kimi Wa Petto (Tramps Like Us), Nana (i think it's josei, becuase the women are older, and deal with more adult issues than let's hope your average high schooler will), Gokusen, and the rest i've read don't fit into josei. i read the first volume of Nodame Cantabile, and it had so MUCH potential. but it didn't click. in my 20s now, so older series, with older people and situations, appeals better.

would Baby and Me count as josei? it's not a romance. but it is geared towards older women. i think. it didn't click with me either. (currently released by VIZ)

angsana

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

hi eni,

i think i agree with your opinion. to best differentiate whether a manga title is a shoujo or josei, is by referring to its original japanese publication and that would solve it. i myself hugely rely to post like these for clarification and recommendation from any of you in mangahelpers.

you see, i also got confused with this shoujo and josei stuff. back about 2-3 years ago, a local publication launched some titles aimed for older manga reader as a market test, FOR THE ROSE-Yoshimura Akemi (bara no tameni), JULIET's EGG-Yoshino Sakumi (juliet no tamago) and Oh! MY DARLING-Ueda Miwa (i can't remember its original title). have you ever come across any of these titles? they all labeled as older/mature.

from the lot, juliet no tamago was the most difficult to digest, bizarelly realistic. bara no tameni was ok, i like the way it flow and move me. as for the last, oh well, its a weepy weepy story that after reading first volume made me questioned the label mature on its cover but after second reading of all volumes, well i think the publisher got it right. i don't think teen here, where i live, would grasp what the mangaka trying to point out.

bara no tameni is available in the net, aeriescans done it.

Last edited:

Azurel

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

That is actually not correct. I thought so too at first, but the Japanese are a little weird with this.

Josei, Shoujo, Shounen and Seinen are demographic genres. They aren't descriptive genres like Comedy, Romance, Fantasy or Drama and as such not content-related. Whether a manga is classified as Josei or Shoujo is decided by the magazine it gets published in. XxxHolic is simply a Seinen because it is published in a Seinen magazine. That's all.
There was a little fuss a while ago about a very bloody and violant Shounen (which was clearly adult material) and people tried - because of the content - to classify it as Seinen. In fact, it was published in a Shounen magazine and as such classified by the Japanese. If they want to change the demographic genre, they simply change magazines, like they did with Bastard!! - from Shounen to Seinen.

But besides that, there are a few descriptive subgenres. So is Magical Girlfriend (Mahou Kanojo) a typical Shounen/Seinen subgenre that gets easily confused with Shoujo/Josei since the whole story seems to be "girlie" at first sight (e.g. Chobits, Ah! My Goddess, 3x3 Eyes, Elfen Lied, ...). Also there are a lot of Seinen fitting more to the female audience (e.g. Bitter Virgin, which deals with a pretty serious - female - topic, Blood Alone and Emma).

We're usually right about the content, simple because a Seinen is usually violant action, a Shounen is usually a hero-adventure, a Shoujo is usually first love romance and a Josei is usually about the daily troubles of an older woman. So the discussion only gets problematic when a manga does not fit into these stereotypes. But that's exactly what it is: stereotypes - it is not a true indicator for the genre.
I really agree with you. This sounds like a chapter from my "world issue perspective" module; about stereotypes and all. ;) so basically, we shouldn't get caught up with trying to categorize these manga into demographic genres and instead make full use of those descriptive genres. :D

Azurel

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Re: General Shoujo Discussion

Hmm.. I just bought a manga with my first pay!! yipee.. it's called Love Remedy, it's a collection of stories, so kinda like mini series of one-shots but it's kinda sweet :D

goal

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Re: General "Shoujo & Sunjeong & Josei " Discussion

I am currently reading Midnight Secretary, which I think is Josei. I was just wondering do Josei usually have happy endings, as they focus on romance.

Midnight Secretary is very sexy and I am just loving it!!! I just soooooooo want it to have a good living happily ever after ending:)

goal

Reaction score
Country
Norway

Can someone please tell me how to get access to the alternative ending CD of Haou airen and what happens in it, if anyone has seen it. Thanks!!!!!!!

Pika876

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Josei manga

One Josei title I hear the most about is Kimi wa Petto, or as Tokyopop sells it - Tramps Like Us. I haven't read it, but I've heard good things about it and the art is decent. Other than that title I'm not much help, sorry.

It was also adapted into a Jdrama starring Matsumoto Jun, if you're interested in Jdramas...
Also Hana Yori Dango was an anime/manga adapted Jdrama and it also stars Matsumoto Jun!:)

lorelai

Reaction score
Country
United States

Can someone please tell me how to get access to the alternative ending CD of Haou airen and what happens in it, if anyone has seen it. Thanks!!!!!!!
@goal: For those of you who have been asking for the Haou Airen Alternative ending; it was released in a Drama CD. If you would like to grab the Japanese CD and read the English Summary, go to BishieHaven's Blogspot. Hope this (happy) ending is more to your liking. I know I DID!!!. Happy Chinese Lunar New Year to you all. \^o^/

goal

Reaction score
Country
Norway

Thanks lorelai. I weny yobishiehaven's site and read it. So what is your understanding of the ending? Does it start off from where chapter 50 in themanga leaves off with Hakuron getting shot on the wedding day and surviving. What is your take on it?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where i could find the raws for the manga "masca?"

Thanks

I want to clearify something. The Drama Cds of Haou Airen are just audio CDs with no video/visuals? And they are in Japanese (only)?

Also does anyone know some smexxy Japanese (tv) dramas (hopefully with english subtitles) that continue the sexy story lines of josei/smut aimed at the older female audience?

Last edited:

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Also does anyone know some smexxy Japanese (tv) dramas (hopefully with english subtitles) that continue the sexy story lines of josei/smut aimed at the older female audience?

Hmmm? How about Hataraki Man? It's josei, but just some serious work stuff. Not sure whether have you tried Kimi Wa Petto yet, but there's some romance and cute Matsumoto Jun there :)

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

There is actually a thread discussing Korean and J-dorama/movies. So there are some suggestions and reviews there, goal. ^^

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where i could find the raws for the manga "masca?"
http://kiligaris.livejournal.com
*If* the links still work. If not, I could re-upload them to MH.

Just for the info: Masca is a manhwa, not a manga. So the raws are in Korean.

goal

Reaction score
Country
Norway

Thanks for your reply eni. I did go to that site but when i try to save the file it appears to be password protected so i was not able to. If you could help me get the raws I would be so ever thankful.

Btw have you read 100% perfect girl (available upto chapter 66 from mangatraders). I recommend it:)

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Oh I've read 100% perfect girl, thinking it was like Haruki Murakami's, but it wasn't. I think i dropped it after 2 volumes or something. I forgot the reason why :sweatdrop

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany

@goal
The password is noted on the first page ^^

5.The PW (password): uploadbykiligaris