Shounen Silver Spoon by Arakawa Hiromu

murtas

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
119
Reaction score
15
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
well i started this series just about some hours ago, just because it was from arakawa-sensei (and i guess most of the current readership followed the authors name).
The series is a complete turnover from the previous genre by the author, i think it is a nice change of pace and turns out that she can do lots of different stories.
None the less, coming into this slice of life genre with a original setting is pretty bold and risky but it turned out something good and fresh (well i don't read that many SoL's) and the light comedy is also great (has we had with FMA also) i keep laughting at the jokes very often.

And then there is this main character development that still to come and probably will push the series even further. Anyway's i don't know what is the goal of Arakawa-sensei over this series, if it is a short or long project, but i'm enjoying it so far. :)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Volume 1 HQ cover:

 

BakaHaze

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
504
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I just think the manga is interesting because of what it ties together with the so called 'teenage angst.' I'm quite sure there are many, many, crappy, low grade novels about teens bitching or whining about how they worry about fitting in and all that sort of crap that nobody wants to read; Siver Spoon is actually quite interesting in it's treatment of this. Rather than some sob-story-diary of Hachiken's life, there's more to it than just him and his prroblems.

Well, I'm loving it so far.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
With every chapter I love this series more and more. I don't get why some people complain about it. I'm glad it's not an action series, I want Arakawa-sensei to experiment with other genres. And if the pace is too slow, it's simply because this is a slice-of-life series, this series being one of the more exciting/interesting ones. I'm fascinated with the whole farming culture, and I also love how each chapters is more than just about farming, also delving into other issues like the extreme pressure that is put on the youth of Japan.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
LOL!!! I just love how Arakawa makes killing animals a funny thing. That's good. Otherwise, it'd be too depressing.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
LOL!!! I just love how Arakawa makes killing animals a funny thing. That's good. Otherwise, it'd be too depressing.
Yeah!Haha.It was kind of cruel,but i still had to laugh.

Another great chapter.
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Well, in the strictest sense, "we all feed off death, even vegetarians." I'm fine with Arakawa's treatment of the farming industry, and actually enjoy it because it is fresh and I'm sick of a lot of veganism arguments.

So, chapter 14 is out. Found Hachiken and the baseball fanatic (crap, can't remember his name) conversation pretty funny, with the whole "you have two dreams, I don't even have one!!!"
 

ErosVp

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
1,113
Reaction score
391
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Good chapter, pretty funny. Komaba and his family (two cute sisters) and the animal killing thing were good to see...
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
As usual, good chapter. I also liked how Hachiken gave the dead deer a prayer before butchering it. Just so y'know, this is actually a common practice for Muslims when they start butchering something. So it's quite interesting, really.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
"For the sake of my desert island love story dream", with the lightning eyes that part was hilarious. I wonder if Arakawa read Suicide island ?

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Yes and butchering big animals like that is really hard. We had 2 sheeps at my parents anniversary last week, and i looked my uncle, who is a professional butcher, do it. It looks simple when you watch it but it requests a lot of skill in reality.
 

Samui

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
555
Reaction score
151
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
The grandpa was awesome. I wonder just how many animals he kills on the road, lol. That bear got me :lmao
 

raptor02_2001

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2006
Messages
528
Reaction score
55
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i wonder Sliver Spoon coming soon new chapter unless did i missing anything? it is Sliver Spoon on Break?... but i love that because i need a break from typical manga action or etc... but I like to read life of slice ...

after chapter 16... i can't wait for Hachiken 's Dream ... but i want to know why cause Hachiken want away from home ?
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
New chapter is out
Poor Hachiken, I understand why he is choked but it really happens like that.
 

ErosVp

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
1,113
Reaction score
391
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Tamako started well, but Hachiken was in the spotlight this chapter:

What the hell!! If i were Hachiken, i would be in corner saying "Farm... is scary...". Something i decided long ago, when i have a wife and she gives birth.... i will be in the waiting room!!! I never understood those fathers who even film the disgusting thing!!
I totally understand Hachiken on that one. But what surprised is that maybe Mikage is also troubled with inherit farm and all. Are all the teenagers in this manga troubled somehow:
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I'm surprised that the manga actually showed the whole process. I laughed at how everyone reacted to Hachiken's disgust :D!
 

raptor02_2001

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2006
Messages
528
Reaction score
55
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i am been in farm ( with my grandma 's farm in year ago ) that is not easy work in farm ... lot of work .. that is reason , i love this manga ... I hope it will continue to weekly ...

I think Mikage not is trouble teenager .. She want more likely to go somewhere outside farm.. but family responsibility hinder her's goal in somehow..

I hope Silver Spoon manga will arrive in U.S. area.... i will buy it ..
 

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
3,940
Reaction score
1,649
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm pretty impressed when I think that Arakawa probably researched everything being written here, and its definitely possible that she's seen some of the stuff so far first hand.

Silver Spoon is just a nice break from all the shounen manga out there.
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
^ Arakawa-sensei grows up in a dairy farm. She's not doing her research, she IS part of the farm, just like Tamako, Yezo and Mikage.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
What a great comeback chapter!Best part was Hachiken's reaction to the birth.Even though my personal highlight of the chapter was Mikage's statement."You remind me of a horse:amuse".
 
Top