Shounen Silver Spoon by Arakawa Hiromu

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
We're still on track, don't worry :) It's only if we were to start discussing the ethics of killing the animals for food, etc, in great depth, that would probably belong more in the General Category.

Anyway, to answer your question, k-dom, I would watch the video. I'm pretty okay with gore, and I see a good number of cadavers in my course, plus I think it's important to know the process so that you appreciate it more, and respect the end product. I think Hachiken will only appreciate Pork Bowl's meat even more, now that he watched the video - not just because he had a certain bond with it, but also because he knows what went into getting Pork Bowl from live, squealing pig, to a packet of meat. I think for a lot of us there's a mental disconnect between the two, and maybe that's why we don't respect our food enough. I'm pretty interested to see what Hachiken will actually do with Pork Bowl's meat, and how tangibly the effects of the video will be visible in how he views food now.
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
If I were in the circumstance of going to an agricultural school and studying the subject, I would watch the video. But as I am, studying physics, I wouldn't. I'd feel horrible, watching things die and I don't think I could handle watching the full process. I know it is all necessary, but I don't have the detachment or discipline to watch and understand it in a balanced way.

Anyone else notice Tamako is a tomato again?
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Hachiken dad's eyes are so scary !!! No wonder he was traumatized :-)

---------- Post added February 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was February 06, 2012 at 06:52 PM ----------

Hehe now that I have read it, I could see the reference to B0YS
Nice comedy chapter as usual.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
This thread are reached the bottom of the page, it is time to reactivate it :-)
I'm glad it received the Taisho award, it's a nice manga. I wonder what the jury liked in it, the humour, the agricultural setting ?

As for the last chapters they are always really fun to read. Hachiken seems to be more confident in himself and a lot of his friends start to relate on him. I'm curious about the mystery between Mikage and Komaba, is it related to the baseball match ? The manga has not really been really serious so far, maybe this will be the start of something in that direction.

Otherwise anyone knows how you say vice president in Japanese, cause this long name is kinda lame in English
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
This thread are reached the bottom of the page, it is time to reactivate it :-)
I'm glad it received the Taisho award, it's a nice manga. I wonder what the jury liked in it, the humour, the agricultural setting ?

As for the last chapters they are always really fun to read. Hachiken seems to be more confident in himself and a lot of his friends start to relate on him. I'm curious about the mystery between Mikage and Komaba, is it related to the baseball match ? The manga has not really been really serious so far, maybe this will be the start of something in that direction.

Otherwise anyone knows how you say vice president in Japanese, cause this long name is kinda lame in English
I think this manga will keep the story under slice-of-life genre, so I doubt there will be "seriousness" in the future, but who knows.

If I translate it literally, vice president is ふくだいとうりょう (fukudaitouryou) as in the Vice President of the United States :cookiehand.
But I'm sure that japanese word "vice president" of a club is different :-_-
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I welcomed the reference to Touch.

Those last chapters have been great.It's strange how the manga hasn't dropped its quality in the slightest. Still as good as the first chapters.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Chestnut is a character on his own. I wonder which place he will have if they'd make a character poll :-)
 

shukketsumaru

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2011
Messages
376
Reaction score
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Chapter 52 ... DRAMATIC CLIFFHANGER!!!!
I just flashed back to the first story arc of Major. Wonder what's wrong with him?
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I don't think it is that serious, he is just exhausted
 

masgrande

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
668
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
That's what Hachiken gets for trying to turn his luck around.
 

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
3,940
Reaction score
1,649
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Huh...didn't see that coming. I realized that everyone was talking about his schedule and how packed it was, but I didn't think he'd collapse and pass out. Time to see how everyone reacts to this...
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
What a cliffhanger. I know Hachiken would pass out someday to the fatigue, but why it has to be during the first day of the festival. I wonder how Mikage is going to react by this news. Good thing that Mikage's friends pointed out about the "date" thing, since if she is being oblivious to Hachiken's feeling is just too.... normal.

This page is just gold.
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Mikage's friends did what I would've done. There gets to be a point where the obliviousness needs to be challenged.

As for Mikage: she probably didn't get a lot of sleep. Thinking about friendships and relationships is a total sleepkiller.

Poor Hachiken, hope he gets found soon and stuffed with food.

I am so glad that, despite the times I've been stressed, I've never fainted. That'd be awful.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yes I'm afraid it will be hard for Mikage too at the festival. How will all this affect her demonstration ? That was a good thing they tell her but maybe not the best timing.

---------- Post added September 22, 2012 at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was September 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM ----------

Hehe it's funny to see Hachiken without his glasses, he looks kinda different. And his father is awfully scary !
It seems that Mikage has regain her sense and will be able to perform well for the demonstration. That's a relief, even if her next encounter with Hachiken will surely be awkward and funny.
And I don't know if I like the return of the tsundere girl...
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I actually didn't mind her return. Or rather, I would have if it weren't for her understanding of the situation and the following willingness to support them.

Thought it was kinda cool to see how everybody was worried about Hachiken.
 

masgrande

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
668
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
Holy crap what the heck is up with Hachiken's dad face, I had forgotten he looked like death incarnate :XD.
 

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
3,940
Reaction score
1,649
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wonder if the principal is going to show up before Hachiken really starts taking some verbal abuse. I can definitely see his dad doing that, even in this situation, from what we know...
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I'm also anticipating what kind of awkward situation would happen between Mikage and Hachiken :teehee

I wonder if the principal is going to show up before Hachiken really starts taking some verbal abuse. I can definitely see his dad doing that, even in this situation, from what we know...
I kinda doubt the principal would immediately show up again, since the school principal and the staff would be busy with Festival stuff. But I agree that since Hachiken is not in a good terms with his dad, verbal abuse or shouting would be his dad's first reaction. His dad is hella scary.

I wonder if Hachiken is going to feel "betrayed" or anything like that, because he though that his friends do not really care about him. (But this route will be overdramatic for this manga)

And we have to wait for 2 weeks before there is any answer.
 

Silver Skull

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Gah, Hachikens dad never fails to scare me.
I get the feeling he’s going to be one of those types that look really scary but are actually quite calm and nice. Then again, it would kinda take away from the scene if he suddenly started crying or something.
 
Top