- Joined
- Dec 9, 2012
- Messages
- 1,220
- Reaction score
- 609
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
Hey all, I thought I’d write a little about where ToG is now and wonder what you guys think.
Generally a story has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Loosely I define the beginning as establishing the story, introducing the main characters, and defining the rough path the main characters will take. This is easily the most fun stage - everything is new, analysis is furious as readers try to understand what things mean, and there is so much potential.
The middle is where most concepts have been introduced and typically the main characters are driven almost entirely by plot. There’s not as much world building anymore and likely here the main character is presented with a moral or other difficult choice that needs to be resolved before the end. I feel the gravitas of the middle and the ability to hold the readers is driven by the quality of that conflict.
The end. Arguably the hardest part of the work, as very little is introduced and as things wrap up expectations can be high. Often fans are disappointed, so much so it seems that the purpose of this arc is to minimize disappointment. In particular this depends upon how satisfying the resolution to the problem in the Middle is solved.
In ToG the beginning was certainly part 1. It has a distinctive feel from the rest of ToG and contains most of the world building. The middle can be arguably started at the beginning of Part 2 or perhaps as late as the end of the Workshop battle (since Bam and Co were reunited and the Thorn was introduced). I believe the conflict for Bam and his friends have not been presented yet though in this arc it seems that SIU is getting close to presenting them. Some are obvious (Androssi, Yuri) whereas others are less so (Bam, Wangnan). Perhaps they won’t all come at once, but it feels like everything is coming to a head.
I am still personally enjoying ToG but I am finding it harder to find things to analyze. It feels like the beginning of Part 2 for some reason. When I first read that arc I hated it, but looking back it really fits (though I never really liked the initial Hoaquin arc and still don’t...). I am hoping I feel the same about this arc. Sure there’s lots going on, but it doesn’t feel as satisfying, almost like getting a prize I didn’t earn - perhaps looking back it will fit really nicely.
How do you guys feel about where we are in ToG? Do you feel things are fun? I noticed discussions here are quieter - perhaps people are just busy but I wonder if interest in the manwah is waning.
Generally a story has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Loosely I define the beginning as establishing the story, introducing the main characters, and defining the rough path the main characters will take. This is easily the most fun stage - everything is new, analysis is furious as readers try to understand what things mean, and there is so much potential.
The middle is where most concepts have been introduced and typically the main characters are driven almost entirely by plot. There’s not as much world building anymore and likely here the main character is presented with a moral or other difficult choice that needs to be resolved before the end. I feel the gravitas of the middle and the ability to hold the readers is driven by the quality of that conflict.
The end. Arguably the hardest part of the work, as very little is introduced and as things wrap up expectations can be high. Often fans are disappointed, so much so it seems that the purpose of this arc is to minimize disappointment. In particular this depends upon how satisfying the resolution to the problem in the Middle is solved.
In ToG the beginning was certainly part 1. It has a distinctive feel from the rest of ToG and contains most of the world building. The middle can be arguably started at the beginning of Part 2 or perhaps as late as the end of the Workshop battle (since Bam and Co were reunited and the Thorn was introduced). I believe the conflict for Bam and his friends have not been presented yet though in this arc it seems that SIU is getting close to presenting them. Some are obvious (Androssi, Yuri) whereas others are less so (Bam, Wangnan). Perhaps they won’t all come at once, but it feels like everything is coming to a head.
I am still personally enjoying ToG but I am finding it harder to find things to analyze. It feels like the beginning of Part 2 for some reason. When I first read that arc I hated it, but looking back it really fits (though I never really liked the initial Hoaquin arc and still don’t...). I am hoping I feel the same about this arc. Sure there’s lots going on, but it doesn’t feel as satisfying, almost like getting a prize I didn’t earn - perhaps looking back it will fit really nicely.
How do you guys feel about where we are in ToG? Do you feel things are fun? I noticed discussions here are quieter - perhaps people are just busy but I wonder if interest in the manwah is waning.