Movies - Star Wars - The Thread | Page 8 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies Star Wars - The Thread

How was that ep VIII teaser?

• Amazing, Incredible, Epic!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Good

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Ugh, utter garbage

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
This trailer and movie looks like it will bore me. It doesn't offer anything we haven't seen before in the series. Rogue One was easily the best entry to the new series of films. Hell, it's one of the best movies of last year. TFA was... ok. It's basically a reskin of the orginals with a female lead to appease certain parties and a bigger Death Star...

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Spoiler-ish stuff? Hah! The Star Wars trailers are known for their misdirection.
Yeah, there's a couple of things in there that seem to be misdirects like:
Rey joining with Kylo and Kylo killing Leia.

What did you think to the rest of it?
This trailer and movie looks like it will bore me. It doesn't offer anything we haven't seen before in the series. Rogue One was easily the best entry to the new series of films. Hell, it's one of the best movies of last year. TFA was... ok. It's basically a reskin of the orginals with a female lead to appease certain parties and a bigger Death Star...
I actually like Rey tbh, at least when it comes down to her character. Wasn't really a fan of her randomly pulling off a Mind Trick really quickly or how the Forest Fight was handled however.
I'm also not liking how they seem to be making Luke Skywalker in awe/scared of her
but I'm optimistic that they have some explanation for that or its just a misdirect.

Agreed on enjoying Rogue One more than TFA though, especially on the Death Star criticism, Starkiller Base just didn't work well IMO.

upsurge

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
What did you think to the rest of it?
The space battle(s). Seems to me like we'll have two. One around D'qar and another around Crait (with the Supremacy being involved).

I'm also not liking how they seem to be making Luke Skywalker in awe/scared of her
but I'm optimistic that they have some explanation for that or its just a misdirect.
Same here. I mean... I'll wait and see what that shit was about in the film.

Agreed on enjoying Rogue One more than TFA though, especially on the Death Star criticism, Starkiller Base just didn't work well IMO.
It's like... The First Order didn't learn from the empire's mistakes. Instead of taking the TIE Interceptor or Defender designs, they stick with the basic one. Instead of building a fleet of Mandator IV-class dreadnoughts with like Class 0.5 hyperdrives, they waste money and resources building a wanked Death Star that can fire through hyperspace. What were they thinking?

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
To be honest I don't know why they always try to copy the original Trilogy.

The prequel trilogy was the best the top of Star Wars.

Especially Anakin in his role.But the sequel tries to copy the original series

upsurge

Reaction score
Country
India

It recently came to light that Lucasfilm chose to play it safe as they felt the nostalgia factor of the OT was easier to market. But now they're apparently trying to experiment and Abrams himself supposedly said he no longer wants to play it safe.

As for the Prequel Trilogy: Look, I love the prequels. Revenge of the Sith is and always will be my favourite Star Wars film. But there were a lot of issues with Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones and I would not say they are the best Star Wars films. The areas in which they do outshine the OT is in having a greater number of characters you actually want to learn more about and whose names you won't forget in a few weeks.

Yeah, Anakin is a well written character no doubt and his actor tried as best as he could to portray him properly. Too bad he was given badly written dialogue and was under not so good direction

Styx

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I watched it. Absolutely loved it! The throw back to the original movie when Yoda said he'd be afraid was incredible. I honestly can't wait. It is going to be gooooold. :x3

(I also like Rey as a character. Maybe not some of her awesome feats, but her character seems good so far. Really hoping she has a connection to Obi-Wan or something. I know it'd be cheesy or whatnot, but I want her to have a connection to someone we know and love.)

upsurge

Reaction score
Country
India
I watched it. Absolutely loved it! The throw back to the original movie when Yoda said he'd be afraid was incredible. I honestly can't wait. It is going to be gooooold. :x3

(I also like Rey as a character. Maybe not some of her awesome feats, but her character seems good so far. Really hoping she has a connection to Obi-Wan or something. I know it'd be cheesy or whatnot, but I want her to have a connection to someone we know and love.)
I wonder how you'd react if Rey was somehow connected to Palpatine.

Rey - The Last Jedi and The Last Senate

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
It's like... The First Order didn't learn from the empire's mistakes. Instead of taking the TIE Interceptor or Defender designs, they stick with the basic one. Instead of building a fleet of Mandator IV-class dreadnoughts with like Class 0.5 hyperdrives, they waste money and resources building a wanked Death Star that can fire through hyperspace. What were they thinking?
I have no idea why they haven't improved/specialized their starfighters, out of everything that's the criminal part IMO. They've seen an Executor-Class Star Dreadnaught get taken down by a single A-Wing crashing into its bridge, and while this did mainly happen because the Battle over Endor was sheer chaos, it still doesn't explain their refusal to innovate. Especially since, like you said, it would be much more efficient from a money/resources/effort point of view. Plus it would just be easier to believe, IIRC the Death Star 2 pretty much bankrupted the Empire, so I don't see how a tiny remnant of it is making things like Starkiller base and
Snoke's Mega-Class Star Destroyer. Even if it turns out that Snoke's money comes from gambling or that he's just super rich, I don't see how he would somehow be richer than the Empire. The only way I can see this being explained plausibly is that Snoke/The First Order have control of something like the Star Forge.

Also that Mandator IV idea is glorious, though if those orbital autocannons can't be used in ship vs ship battles it would need some turbolasers added onto it. Thinking about it, I'm surprised it doesn't have any turbolasers on it in the first place, its just under the length of five ISD-2's so it definitely has the room. I suppose it could be so that more power can be put into the autocannons, but even then why not just re-route power to the autocannons when they need to bombard something?

Seconded on wanting Rey to be connected to an already established character, though I wouldn't really want it to be Obi-Wan, his entire relationship with Satine in TCW would be weakened a tad if he moved on and Rey is his child/grandchild IMO. Unless she's like his grandniece, that could work. That said, I'd take granddaughter of Obi-Wan over Rey Palpatine... or worse, a reincarnated Anakin.

Also, Porg or Ice Wolf/Dog/Thing? :3c

upsurge

Reaction score
Country
India
I have no idea why they haven't improved/specialized their starfighters, out of everything that's the criminal part IMO. They've seen an Executor-Class Star Dreadnaught get taken down by a single A-Wing crashing into its bridge, and while this did mainly happen because the Battle over Endor was sheer chaos, it still doesn't explain their refusal to innovate. Especially since, like you said, it would be much more efficient from a money/resources/effort point of view. Plus it would just be easier to believe, IIRC the Death Star 2 pretty much bankrupted the Empire, so I don't see how a tiny remnant of it is making things like Starkiller base and
Snoke's Mega-Class Star Destroyer. Even if it turns out that Snoke's money comes from gambling or that he's just super rich, I don't see how he would somehow be richer than the Empire. The only way I can see this being explained plausibly is that Snoke/The First Order have control of something like the Star Forge.
If I were an engineer working for Sienar-Jaemus, I honestly would have taken the TIE Interceptor design and slapped a deflector shield generator and at least a Class 3 hyperdrive on the bloody thing.

"Mega-class" star destroyer is just so awful sounding. Not creative at all. They had a golden opportunity there to just label it the "Supremacy-class" (which sounds so badass) and missed it. I hope they retcon it and make it "Supremacy-class" with "Mega-class" just being a type designation like "battlecruiser" and "dreadnought".

Also that Mandator IV idea is glorious, though if those orbital autocannons can't be used in ship vs ship battles it would need some turbolasers added onto it. Thinking about it, I'm surprised it doesn't have any turbolasers on it in the first place, its just under the length of five ISD-2's so it definitely has the room. I suppose it could be so that more power can be put into the autocannons, but even then why not just re-route power to the autocannons when they need to bombard something?
Canon Star Wars omits a lot of info when it comes to starship armaments (especially capital ships). For example, we know from multiple scenes in the OT that ISDs (I and II line) have SB 920 laser cannons but this info is often omitted (even in Legends sources which go really in depth). It only makes sense to me that the Mandator IV has at least capital ship grade medium if not heavy turbolasers. They're just a standard on 600+ metre capital ships.

In the canon novel Catalyst, a team working directly under Krennic managed to fit two experimental superlasers (similar to one of the component lasers of the Death Star) onto the hull of an Imperial I-class without presumably removing any of the other armaments. If someone can fit superlasers onto a mere ISD with room to spare, it makes sense to me that the Mandator IV would have a decent collection of turbolasers.

As for the orbital auto-cannons, we're likely to see them in action in ship to ship combat. I think Star Wars Explained pointed out what looked like an overpowered turbolaser blast one-shotting a Resistance cruiser in the trailer (just before Poe's badass "burn down the First Order" line). That had to have been from a Mandator IV auto-cannon.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
If they make luke evil i am quitting star wars. Its bad enough that he failed spectacularly at reviving the order but making him evil is too much.

upsurge

Reaction score
Country
India
If they make luke evil i am quitting star wars. Its bad enough that he failed spectacularly at reviving the order but making him evil is too much.
I don't think Luke's going to go Dark Empire on us. He's just more likely to go down the Bendu path. I just hope they haven't nerfed him and made him a wimp. I actually want to see him kick some ass.

YumaKuga

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Either way I look at this series, they lost me since they went non canon from the books. Had me at meh with a Death Star planet in the first one and some weird writing for scenes that lacked utter sense to an author like me. Don't get me wrong, I fucking adore Star Wars. But that might just stay with the ones done actually by George Lucas. I did like the Rogue One movie (Even with that tearjerk ending) but otherwise I just feel like they are milking this series like a cow once again for Christmas. I just feel like not having Luke actually create the Jedi Order like in the books is where these movies lost me and making him another Ben Kenobi/Yoda as a hermit complete made me lose faith in these new movies. And if they make him evil or kill him off, well, then they really lost touch with reality for this space opera from the late 70's

upsurge

Reaction score
Country
India
Don't get me wrong, I fucking adore Star Wars. But that might just stay with the ones done actually by George Lucas.
Lucas is still consulting with Lucasfilm under Disney when it comes to Jedi & Sith lore/history. In fact, much of the Jedi & Sith lore in the new canon actually are his ideas. The Bendu, the Journal of the Whills, Guardians of the Whills - they all have roots in material Lucas had penned back when he was making the Original Trilogy. If anything, Lucasfilm under Disney is actually taking Star Wars back to its true roots. At least as far as Jedi & Sith lore/history are concerned. As for Luke's current path and his future, I don't know what's going on there.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I don't think Luke's going to go Dark Empire on us. He's just more likely to go down the Bendu path. I just hope they haven't nerfed him and made him a wimp. I actually want to see him kick some ass.
I dunno, either he is going evil or the guys behind the movie are seriously trying to mislead us at least. Just look at the color theme... it is not an accident that the sith color is being used. Luke being like bendu wouldn't be quite bad though. IIRC the novel, which I didn't read though, is supposed to say that snooke took an interest in ben because he had good balance of light and dark in him. Bendu is specifically said to be the middle way in rebels... I guess grey jedi or a new path for jedi is going to be a thing. On the other hand this seems contradictory with george lucas earlier statements about the force as he did say the light is supposed to be greater than the dark. As in simple good and evil. Then again perhaps lucas already backpedaled a bit on that when the mortis family was introduced.

upsurge

Reaction score
Country
India
I dunno, either he is going evil or the guys behind the movie are seriously trying to mislead us at least. Just look at the color theme... it is not an accident that the sith color is being used. Luke being like bendu wouldn't be quite bad though. IIRC the novel, which I didn't read though, is supposed to say that snooke took an interest in ben because he had good balance of light and dark in him.
Yeah. Snoke's exact words are that Ben is an "ideal embodiment of the Light and Dark".

Bendu is specifically said to be the middle way in rebels... I guess grey jedi or a new path for jedi is going to be a thing. On the other hand this seems contradictory with george lucas earlier statements about the force as he did say the light is supposed to be greater than the dark. As in simple good and evil. Then again perhaps lucas already backpedaled a bit on that when the mortis family was introduced.
Lucas has indeed done a U-turn on many ideas. The introduction of the Father as the embodiment of the balance between Light and Dark (Daughter and Son) and Anakin being his "replacement" clearly shows that he wanted to explore the in-between.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Doubtful Luke will go Dark side.This very much goes against the idea of the original series.

Last edited:

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Doubtful Luke will go Dark side.This very much goes against the idea of the prequel.
I'd extend that to Star Wars in general since, at least from my POV, Luke's stand out feature has always been that he is completely hopeful and incorruptible. This is the guy that faced both Vader and the Emperor alone and chose to sacrifice himself rather than join them, the guy that thought his father could be redeemed despite both Obi Wan and Yoda saying it would be impossible. Luke joining the Dark Side would be character assassination IMO, I didn't like it in Dark Empire and I'd hate for it to happen again. If Order 66 survivors like Yoda and Obi Wan managed to resist the Dark Side despite being complete hermits, with Yoda even hiding on a massive Dark Side nexus, then Luke should be able to keep himself on the Light Side even in exile. I don't even think the argument of this being different from the case of Yoda is valid as a huge part of Yoda felt the Jedi Order's downfall was his fault, which is incredibly similar to how Luke apparently fled due to the fact that he felt guilty for his new Jedi Order's destruction at the hands of the Knights of Ren.

The above is why I agree with those who think its a misdirect, I just can't see Disney doing that to a character like Luke, especially since the previous six films hammer in how the Luke/Vader redemption story was pretty much unthinkable to everyone (e,g Yoda's quotes of how the Dark Side corrupts absolutely and thus those who fall as far as Anakin can't be redeemed).

YumaKuga

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Lucas is still consulting with Lucasfilm under Disney when it comes to Jedi & Sith lore/history. In fact, much of the Jedi & Sith lore in the new canon actually are his ideas. The Bendu, the Journal of the Whills, Guardians of the Whills - they all have roots in material Lucas had penned back when he was making the Original Trilogy. If anything, Lucasfilm under Disney is actually taking Star Wars back to its true roots. At least as far as Jedi & Sith lore/history are concerned. As for Luke's current path and his future, I don't know what's going on there.
Well that kind of stuff I like. As long as they at least consult a bit with his ideas and vision then cool, otherwise outside of that its meh to me. I will stick to the books and the original 6 movies

upsurge

Reaction score
Country
India
Doubtful Luke will go Dark side.This very much goes against the idea of the prequel.
Yeah. Most likely he'll go grey (using both Light and Dark). The Journal of the Whills clearly hints at this.

First comes the day.
Then comes the night
After the darkness
Shines through the light.
The difference, they say,
Is only made right
By the resolving of grey
Through refined Jedi sight.

I will stick to the books and the original 6 movies
Not a bad idea really. The Force Awakens novelization and comic adaptation do a much better job of explaining a lot of shit that they just couldn't in the film.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Sequel series had Vader.

Also the Prequels released after the original trilogy surely.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Well that kind of stuff I like. As long as they at least consult a bit with his ideas and vision then cool, otherwise outside of that its meh to me. I will stick to the books and the original 6 movies
The books are fantastic. You get a much more fleshed out experience than canon could ever offer. Legends was good too. The Clone Wars even xD. Until Rebels that is.