Movies - Star Wars - The Thread | Page 22 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies Star Wars - The Thread

How was that ep VIII teaser?

• Amazing, Incredible, Epic!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Good

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Ugh, utter garbage

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I mean, or a radar. It really depends on how convenient a development is or isn't.
Radar works by bouncing EM waves off of objects.

Will it bounce if there's a big inconvenient moon physically blocking.

There definitely is a practical aspect to the dyad (welp, it isn't) but my point is more about how sith culture being centered around it doesn't make much sense. The connection is just impractical for two people out to get each other when they outlive their usefulness.
Dyad bumper sticker: "Can't live with them, can't live without them."

Or.

Dyad bumper sticker: "Can't live with them, have to eventually kill them."

Facepalm comments are all I got atm.

Even from the first harry potter book you had him being some kid who lived in a closet who then turned to not only be a super special awesome wizard but also inherited a literal vault full of gold. Not to say he had a good childhood but even without the peverel reveal it's fairly clear that harry came from a family with "vault full of gold" level of wealth.
Good point, it was foreshadowed.

Darth vader comes from his slave mother. And... his father literally does not exist. I suppose you can make a case for amidala though that isn't the skywalker line. The skywalker line is basically tatoine hillbillies up to anakins slave mother, then a sith lord, then luke... Which is not to say anakin and his descendants aren't exceptionally potent in the force. But framing them as heroes.... eh.

:toc

I always thought Anakin Skywalker having no father. Implied a virgin birth, like Jesus. Immaculate conception.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, the internet is crazy. I am finally watching The Mandalorian and baby yoda eating the frog lady eggs is hilarious.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Correct on both counts.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Did Grogu's eating habits give anyone an eating disorder.

I wonder.

Vegans: "Grogu is the reason I don't eat teh meat."
Vegans: -Beaming with pride-

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I'm a vegan and I thought it was hilarious. The upset people seem to be meat-eaters and vegetarians a like. No need to generalize.

That Ahsoka episode was epic and Rosaria Dawson nailed it.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
From what I saw the objections to baby yoda eating the unfertilized eggs were more about the casual genocide... even though the episode did not exactly evidence genocide. The internet is crazy...

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Maybe I was wrong. It wasn't about food. It was a sneaky and disguised abortion angle.

Is this bipedal frog egg a fetus. What of this unborn spider.

Pro lifers gonna rage.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So, I really liked ahsoha on the mandalorian but it's kinda nonsense that she fought that other woman for so long. Ahsoka isn't just a competent lightsaber duelist, she is someone that held her own against darth fucking vader. Ahsoka's chances against vader were pretty much zero or even less than that but still, holding her own against a extremely powerful sith lord is an insane feat. So seeing her kinda struggle against some person with a stick is just weird...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

So... is poe dameron actually a fan favorite? After rose he was probably the character I loathed the most... The guy just sucks, specially during and after the last jedi.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I'm interested in Moff Gideon's reason for trying to end himself when he saw the jedi coming.

Did he think it was Darth Maul or some evil character notorious for cruelty?

Why did they save his life. My body, my choices. Am I right.

I know its stereotypical to white knight characters to value life on TV.

Them saving Moff Gideon's life after all he put them through would be impressive if it weren't so cliche and predictable.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Everyone seemed way too terrified of luke during the scene. Bo katan isn't exactly friendly with jedi but you'd think she knows better than to fear getting butchered by one without provocation. let alone that she probably guessed it was luke anyways, given his role in defeating the empire the guy is already a galaxy wide legend easily...

I kinda wonder if the series are building up to erasing the sequel trilogy. Luke rescuing baby yoda like that plays out pretty poorly if he will simply die 10 years from now in a fire.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

It's too enjoyable to see the perspective of someone who is a SciFi buff but never saw it until now. :lmao

"Hopefully the Attack of the Clones will be better".... :rofl

Olive00

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
I recently watched the movie Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. The previous film, The Last Jedi, left a deeply positive impression on me. "Skywalker: Rise", unfortunately, turned out not so cool, but rather the opposite ... The film cannot boast of audience versatility, that is, it is focused purely on fans who remember in detail what happened in the previous parts. Before, Star Wars was better - that's a fact. It seems that Disney is saving on everything - on actors, special effects, screenwriters and so on. If earlier SW set a trend in science fiction, now they are trailing behind. I state with regret that the new Star Wars is the minimum of a fantastic adventure and the maximum of a cheap melodrama.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So... what are the chances that eventually the disney+ star wars stuff eventually leads to the sequel trilogy films being removed from cannon? It's one thing when there wasn't anything in between the 30 years between RotJ and TFA but now you have the baby yoda stuff and even an incoming ahsokk series. With the sequel trilogy being a thing any story arc luke has then necessarily leads to his building of a jedi school and it's eventual catastrophic failure. To me it seems like a hard sell that you can have a good luke skywalker that eventually heads in that direction.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I think Kennedy just said somewhere that Disney still has plans for sequel trilogy characters like Rey, Poe, Finn and Phasma in live-action form.

But yeah, it won't make a lot of sense that Grogu, Ahsoka and others weren't present in sequel trilogy, but I guess they'll just somehow write past that. Just like in retrospective watching the prequels it doesn't make much sense that Anakin had a padawan that was never mentioned. That's just how it is. They weren't present for whatever reason, even when the fate of the galaxy was on play.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I think Kennedy just said somewhere that Disney still has plans for sequel trilogy characters like Rey, Poe, Finn and Phasma in live-action form.

But yeah, it won't make a lot of sense that Grogu, Ahsoka and others weren't present in sequel trilogy, but I guess they'll just somehow write past that. Just like in retrospective watching the prequels it doesn't make much sense that Anakin had a padawan that was never mentioned. That's just how it is. They weren't present for whatever reason, even when the fate of the galaxy was on play.
Honestly, I don't mind ahsoka being retconned into existence and the inconsistencies it creates. My issue here is that everything eventually ties up with TFA and what follows. Specially if you have a luke skywalker story. We know what happens in TLJ, we know how luke's story ends in failure and that there is no real redemption for him.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
So... what are the chances that eventually the disney+ star wars stuff eventually leads to the sequel trilogy films being removed from cannon? It's one thing when there wasn't anything in between the 30 years between RotJ and TFA but now you have the baby yoda stuff and even an incoming ahsokk series. With the sequel trilogy being a thing any story arc luke has then necessarily leads to his building of a jedi school and it's eventual catastrophic failure. To me it seems like a hard sell that you can have a good luke skywalker that eventually heads in that direction.
Almost nill, sadly.

The thing about the Luke Skywalker stuff and that whole side of original canon is that those actors are so old now and either pass away or age out of acting. So it becomes harder and harder to to go back and right that ship. Kathleen Kennedy can say whatever she wants to about the new characters but those actors are mostly gone. Finn, Ray, and Poe's actors are probably never coming back. The smart thing to do there is just cut your losses.

Mandelorian has been the most successful Star Wars project since Force Awakens which is more under the creative control of Dave Filloni and Jon Favreau and if they have any sense at all that's where they'll focus going forward. More independent smaller projects with an actual idea behind them. And eventually have one of those push the series forward. Whether that be Asoka or something else.

Kathleen Kennedy and Lucas Film have put Star Wars in a terrible position in terms of new films. I don't think they can retcon out of it. I don't think they can write their way out of it without a major time jump. And if they try and force it it's just going to tank, like Solo. I think they're just better off doing more experimental TV series to figure out what works then worry about cleaning up the mess they made with their poor planning.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
any story arc luke has then necessarily leads to his building of a jedi school and it's eventual catastrophic failure. To me it seems like a hard sell that you can have a good luke skywalker that eventually heads in that direction.

That happens not only in the new movie trilogy. The story arc is deeply embedded in the old extended universe novels as well.

Mandalorian isn't perfect but it is exactly what was needed. To break all of the negative trends fostered over the last few decades. Since the original Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
That happens not only in the new movie trilogy. The story arc is deeply embedded in the old extended universe novels as well.

Mandalorian isn't perfect but it is exactly what was needed. To break all of the negative trends fostered over the last few decades. Since the original Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn.
I am not 100% familiar with the original extended universe but IIRC in it luke does eventually succeed in creating a new jedi order though. Even if there was a story arc in legends where luke failed at least he lived long enough to eventually complete his goal of reviving the jedi and upon death he left behind a fully functional jedi order. Vastly different from the sequel trilogy where luke just failed without a chance at redemption. In the sequel trilogy luke didn't even have the dignity of properly training rey, the vast majority of what she new came from kylo ren anyways.... In turn the "training" rey got from luke was mostly luke bitching at her for 40 minutes.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I am not 100% familiar with the original extended universe but IIRC in it luke does eventually succeed in creating a new jedi order though. Even if there was a story arc in legends where luke failed at least he lived long enough to eventually complete his goal of reviving the jedi and upon death he left behind a fully functional jedi order. Vastly different from the sequel trilogy where luke just failed without a chance at redemption. In the sequel trilogy luke didn't even have the dignity of properly training rey, the vast majority of what she new came from kylo ren anyways.... In turn the "training" rey got from luke was mostly luke bitching at her for 40 minutes.

Jacen Solo goes full Kylo Ren in the EU. Kylo Ren goes full Jacen Solo in the new trilogy films. For all intents and purposes they're identical.

The new trilogy doesn't say if Luke succeeded in re-establishing the jedi order.

The NJO jedi resurrection was pointless due to Jacen Solo being the most powerful of the youngbloods. Luke's jedi resurrection in the new movie trilogy could have been pointless for the same reasons.

Jedi training in the new trilogy is adapted to be "so easy a caveman can do it" slash "force training for dummies". Our culture is shifting towards entitlement and anti intellectualism. Storytelling is shifting to match it.

Luke had to invest time and energy into learning the force back when society was more meritocratic and people were expected to work for and earn things.

Today the idea that people should have something for nothing is much more prevalent and trendy in society. And so we have characters like Kylo Ren and Rey who gain force powers without doing anything to deserve them.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Jacen Solo goes full Kylo Ren in the EU. Kylo Ren goes full Jacen Solo in the new trilogy films. For all intents and purposes they're identical.

The new trilogy doesn't say if Luke succeeded in re-establishing the jedi order.

The NJO jedi resurrection was pointless due to Jacen Solo being the most powerful of the youngbloods. Luke's jedi resurrection in the new movie trilogy could have been pointless for the same reasons.

Jedi training in the new trilogy is adapted to be "so easy a caveman can do it" slash "force training for dummies". Our culture is shifting towards entitlement and anti intellectualism. Storytelling is shifting to match it.

Luke had to invest time and energy into learning the force back when society was more meritocratic and people were expected to work for and earn things.

Today the idea that people should have something for nothing is much more prevalent and trendy in society. And so we have characters like Kylo Ren and Rey who gain force powers without doing anything to deserve them.
Of course it does. In RotJ yoda instructs luke to teach others what he has learned. In the sequel trilogy we learn that the jedi order luke started was exploded by ren. Followed by luke giving up on the jedi and everything else and spending some 8 years sulking in an island. He then dies without leaving behind a functional jedi order, just rey with whom he was barely involved with. In legends luke dies while leaving an order behind, even if legends continues and gives a lot of crap to said order.

I mean, luke had a comically easy time mastering the force as well. He at least had a relationship with yoda but he still went from zero to matching darth vader in 2-3 years. And his training with yoda lasted somewhere between 2 weeks and a few months depending on the source and retcons... That's barely more work than what rey put in, specially considering jedi in theory take decades to train.

Also, kylo was actually trained by luke. And then by snoke... for years at least. Longer than either rey or luke were.