[studio] attempts cleaning basics challenge 001 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

[studio] attempts cleaning basics challenge 001

studio

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
I attempted this. It's not too shabby.

RAW

TAMPERED

UPDATED TAMPERED
Just updated it a little bit based off of Fnuckale's post below. I didn't change much but the feel is very different...infact I may be the only one to tell... :oh

Any constructive critisim is welcome.

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
First off good job.
The borders are good, but I'd go with 2px borders.
It's pretty cool you redrew some lines, but they still look kinda fake (As in not a part of the actual manga page), what I'd do is try and make them different width at some points and pointy at the end. <--- I'm talking about both black and white lines
The leveling is pretty good, although at some points there's a slight detail loss (the trees in the back on the last frame for example, mostly on the right).

I hope to see more of your cleans in the future, good job :)[br]Posted on: February 02, 2007, 01:43:10 PM_________________________________________________Oh and the Kakashi on the 6th frame isn't black.. I mean.. the blacks are very dark grey.

studio

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your pointers!
It was fun! Hopefully people will post some other cleaner challenges.

qwan3356

Reaction score
Country
United States
It really looks good, Great Job studio!

studio

Reaction score
thanks qwan!

Allashandra

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there... I did want to get to this sooner but thing being what they are it took me until now to do this.

You did a very good job for the most part. I was a little puzzled why you saved the file as a .gif. It would be better to use .png format.

Panel 4: white detail lines missing.
Panel 5: White detail lines missing on Shikamaru. A little dirt in the whites. And the black on Kakashi is not true black #000000. The second image shows a section colored in with #000000 so you can see the difference in shade.
Panel 6: A little dirt on Kakuzu's face. The line on the forehead protector symbol is broken.
Panel 7: White detail lines.

Here are the pages with stuff highlighted. Red for blacks and blue for whites.

I hope this helps.

studio

Reaction score
Thanks for reviewing it, Allashandra!
It seems like a lot of little things that I over looked. Though the grey Kakashi is quite large...
I saved it in a gif format mainly so it could load faster. There are less than 50 colors in it, and a gif file is a lot smaller than a png.

Allashandra

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not a problem you're most welcome.

Little things are what get most people. It's really just a matter of practice and experince. Once you are aware of the little details then the even smaller details you will start to be aware of and pretty soon before you know it you are pretty darn good. As for the Kakashi thing it happens. It's an easy thing to not see when it is close to the right shade of black. One of the things that made it more obvious was that the rest of your blacks were correct. Heck even I have used the wrong shade of black by accident before.

As for the gif format. I'm not sure it is a good idea. Even when the colors are small. I really don't know of any groups that use .gif format for there Edited Mangas. And most groups are very aware of the need to keep the overall file size down.

studio

Reaction score
The thing is, it is not necessary to save it as a png. A png is for a high quality graphic with lots of color where as a gif is generated towards graphics with less color much like greys and blacks or a few select others. Plus some of the older model computers don't accept the PNG file considering it is still fairly new...
But oh well it's no big deal. I can understand that the groups want a universal file format.

I hope I don't sound like a snob... :s

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Actually pngs are way better on that matter. I usually save my pngs with 16 colours although I use 32 sometimes too. The filesize usually remains around 100kbs and even less with no quality loss what so ever! take a look at our xxxHolic release if you want a good example of that.

studio

Reaction score
I didn't know you could save them with less colors. That is deffenetly(sp) something worth knowing. Knowing that then yeah pngs are the way to go! Wow I feel like a complete jerk. More like ignorant.

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel
No worries, I wasn't born with this knowledge either ^^;