Discussion - Tartaros Official Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Tartaros Official Thread

How Underrated Is Tartaros?

• Total voters

Nemispelled

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
"It shall begin soon... Darkness will pour forth from the doors of hell... a darkness to swallow all the world's light."
~ Leader Mard Geer Tartaros

TARTAROS
(Branch of the Baram Alliance)

From the Books of Zeref, these demons stop at absolutely nothing.. Their primary objective is to rid the world of magic and revive their master, E.N.D. Only wishing to return to Zeref, they lust for the sound of shriveling demonic screams and eternal despair. Driven by sheer darkness, they intend to befell never-ending suffering to all those that oppose them.....

Feel free to discuss anything about Tartaros, post images/videos of their badass scenes/moments, or share your opinions and thoughts about them, here in this thread.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I voted overrated because I don't like Tartarus arc that much, while it is well received among fans.

There's several things I didn't like. However I've read several comments from people about why they like the arc, and I can see where they're coming from.

My favourite moments were Acno v Igneel, and Gray/Natsu vs Mard.

Sayla and Kyouka :hearts

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
I voted overrated because I don't like Tartarus arc that much, while it is well received among fans.

There's several things I didn't like. However I've read several comments from people about why they like the arc, and I can see where they're coming from.

My favourite moments were Acno v Igneel, and Gray/Natsu vs Mard.

Sayla and Kyouka :hearts
I'd let those two do things to many anyday :hurr

And yeah Acno vs Igneel and Gray/Natsu/Sting/Rogue vs Mard were my favourite fights too.

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I didn't like Tartaros that much either. It was ok but it seemed Mashima had a subpar story that was basically phantom lord 2.0 so he added many dark and hyped moments in to it to make it different: Wizard council's demise, Erza's torture, Wendy's df, CSK summon, silver vs Gray, Igneel vs acno, gray's powerup, and the return of the dragons and the reveal of what was the Lumen historia.

There were good things about Tartaros.

It was focused for one!!!

Also the Gray vs Silver stuff was executed well and tie into the main demon theme. :super

Lahar died, which nobody remembers :confused:

And... The man never came back. A character that had been introduced for many arcs. Had his own ship with Mest. Had even character development in tenrou from the asshole in toh to a sweet guy in Gmg. Plus he had Mest's whole kotss subplot connection. His death also developed Mest's willingness to go to extremes to save his friends like making a deal without cobra and also even in Alvarez of manipulating Brandish.

Favorite fights: the best was Natsu and Gray Vs Mard :celebrate

Second best was Lucy vs Tartaros/CSK vs mard even tho it was short. Also this fight had a sacrifice up until Aquarius came back for a bit in Alvarez. And not many times do characters have a choice in their powerup. Mostly it's like..... here's you a powerup.... take it. No debate, hesitation or struggle unlike when the key was broken here. :gwah

Same think with Gray vs Silver. Gray's unwillingness to kill his father and then for his dad to die and give him power. That was sad :notlikethis

I didn't actually like Acno vs Igneel that much. It seemed like Bluenote vs Gildarts in dragon form. And Igneel seemed like a plot device to keep Acno from destroying face more than revealing the truth to Natsu. Also Acno showed up and got distracted. What was he there for? To destroy face? END? Cuz after Igneel, he just rides out to his bat cave again.

And Erza's torture still haunts me that Mashima would do that to any female but also his Waifu which means..... no female is safe in this series :waah

Wendy vs Eziel was a nice surprise because of her dragon force. It didn't have a lot of meat tho. Mashima likes to make weak female characters have super powerups. Like Mira vs Freed and Chelia vs Dimaria.

Mira vs Seliah was horrible tho. From the continent level books being thrown around to the sibling drama being brought up again to Elfman one shotting seliah's epic form.

Gajeel's fight was a typical fight for him; Levy ship moment was cute fight me!!

Juvia vs Keyes was weird (basically her in a bunch of bondage positions with him being creepy behind her) and way too Gray themed up until our girl executed him from the inside out which was badass.

And what was the point of franmaths character? Before you say the comedy villain.... he wasn't actually funny like Cain................ and his fight didn't even contribute any good nalu ship moments like Cain's did or even facepalm nalu ship moments like Jacobs did. He was kinda...... just there.

Erza vs Minerva...... her fist was crying to punch Minerva..... while I was crying that Erza had to fight her 4 times? 5 times? I lost count f you include sun village and gmg fights too.

Erza vs kyoka........ pretty sure I don't remember this fights because I blotted it from my mind :wooo

Last edited:

Zelefomavis

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I think Tartaros is a bit overrated, I actually did not like it much...
There were not many enjoyable fights imo, and I did not lile the villains at all. Well some of them were cool but the majority, meh. I did not like their design nor their magic (well curse but you get me) coppared to previous villains. Aesthetics is pretty important to me, and even if Alvarez kinds of suck, I ll aknowledge the Spriggans style (Dimaria and Brandish luv you <3) but the demon well, meh....

Best part of the arc was Lucy vs Tartaros ^-^

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
From my perspective, Tartaros is completely underrated.

One of the best aspects of the guild is that they were mysterious and struck fear into people who heard their name. This is one of their characteristics that convinced me that they were the true villains of this series.

Another very important feat of Tartaros was their ability to wipe out the magic council. If you think about it, all the other dark guilds in this series were somehow restrained by the magic council.

- Jose Porla and Phantom were dealt with by the Magic Council after they found out about their evil intent.

- The Magic Council had Jellal Fernandes arrested after they learned about his plans at the Tower of Heaven.

- The Magic Council sent FT and the Allied Forces to take down Oracion Seis during the Nirvana incident.

As you can see from all these examples, the magic council maintained order in the magical world pretty well throughout most of the arcs in Fairy Tail. However, this pattern was broken by Tartaros:

- Jackal, alone, was able to assassinate all the current magic council members. His bomb curse led to the explosion of the entire Council Building.

Not only was this a genius move on Tartaros' part, but it caused FT to experience chaos and panic when they were sent to protect the former magic council members.

And even then, Tartaros was still always one step ahead.. they had already taken out most of the former magic council members by the time Fairy Tail arrived.

In my opinion, I think Tartaros had by far the best prologue into the actual arc compared to all the other villain groups in FT.

Favorite Tartaros Demons (in no particular order):

- Mard Geer
- Kyouka
- Franmalth
- Silver

Decent Tartaros Demons (in no particular order):

- Torafuza
- Tempesta
- Sayla
- Jackal
- Ezel

Least Favorite Tartaros Demons (in no particular order):

- Keyes

Last edited:

thatsvicchan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I swear I cry a waterfall whenever I hear Silver saying "you are our pride and joy" because damn

I have chills only writing it omfg

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Yes Kyôka, Torafuza and Seilah are really underrated.

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
From my perspective, Tartaros is completely underrated.

One of the best aspects of the guild is that they were mysterious and struck fear into people who heard their name. This is one of their characteristics that convinced me that they were the true villains of this series.

Another very important feat of Tartaros was their ability to wipe out the magic council. If you think about it, all the other dark guilds in this series were somehow restrained by the magic council.

- Jose Porla and Phantom were dealt with by the Magic Council after they found out about their evil intent.

- The Magic Council had Jellal Fernandes arrested after they learned about his plans at the Tower of Heaven.

- The Magic Council sent FT and the Allied Forces to take down Oracion Seis during the Nirvana incident.

As you can see from all these examples, the magic council maintained order in the magical world pretty well throughout most of the arcs in Fairy Tail. However, this pattern was broken by Tartaros:

- Jackal, alone, was able to assassinate all the current magic council members. His bomb curse led to the explosion of the entire Council Building.

Not only was this a genius move on Tartaros' part, but it caused FT to experience chaos and panic when they were sent to protect the former magic council members.

And even then, Tartaros was still always one step ahead.. they had already taken out most of the former magic council members by the time Fairy Tail arrived.

In my opinion, I think Tartaros had by far the best prologue into the actual arc compared to all the other villain groups in FT.

Favorite Tartaros Demons (in no particular order):

- Mard Geer
- Kyouka
- Franmalth
- Silver

Decent Tartaros Demons (in no particular order):

- Torafuza
- Tempesta
- Sayla
- Jackal
- Ezel

Least Favorite Tartaros Demons (in no particular order):

- Keyes
I can agree with this. Especially about the Wizard Council which is one thing Hiro added that set the tone of the arc.

But at the same time, he had been scaling back the magic council's power since Tenrou.

Really since OS, because they had to organize the strongest guilds together to do their dirty work.

On Tenrou, Azuma took out the WC that was waiting in the shadow of the ocean.......... The group was completely out of their league with GH even before Zeref became active and Acnologia showed up.

After the timeskip, in the absence of fairy tail Crime Soc had risen up with its 3 members to combat the dark guilds as sabertooth rose in rank for the legal guilds. WC seemed to have grown lax in ft's absences

But the true weeding out of the WC came when Mest and Lahar released Cobra on Jellal's orders showing they were ill-equipped to handle the era we were now in. On top of that, Mest alone wiped all the memories of the WC involved with Gmg and proceeded to let the royal family off with a warning.

Not to mention showing that your basic person in the magic council was about as strong as Miliana in the magic games.

To make matters worse, they were completely unaware about the movement of tartaros to assimilate those smaller dark guilds, which we know has been active at least before Gmg whenever Cobra "heard them."

So the best logical step would be to kill off this group.... because you had basically taken their power away and made them deaf, dumb, blind and completely useless beyond Mest.

And who was the member that was saved out of the group?.... Mest

Mashima tried to do the same with the new wizard council aka.... the GoI in Alvarez. But he had never developed them the way the WC had been present in the early arcs.

As for tartaros, it was nice to show fairy tail scrambling around to protect the former members while Jellal was hunting the OS. This to me showed that we were moving toward more anarchy which is something both Tartaros and Alvarez have been.

And lmao at your least favorite demon.

Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Well I think Tartaros is overrated.

But i like the darkness,tension and plot it is very good.

I liked the prologue like Nemi said.But i liked again since chapter 400.The middle part i didn't like much.

The best part was Acnologia VS Igneel
Natsu and Gray VS Mard Geer(one of the best fights in the manga)
Lucy VS Tartaros Guild

And the last part was great.Zeref calling Natsu as Etherious Natsu Dragneel(END).

Darklord#10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I love tartaros arc. I loved almost everything about it except few nonsense like kyoka, her fight with erza. Everything else was good

Igneel vs acnologia was awesome to. To top dragons duking it out

Gray and natsu vs mard geer was awesome to
Wendy activating dragon force to was epic
Lucy saving her guild members.
It's perfectly rated, it's arguably the best arc of the franchise. I've noticed that people who don't like tartaros tend to like spriggans. How does that work 🤔? I consider the spriggans to be complete trash, they weren't like the nine demon gate.
Tartaros lost because of an unforseen factor, they would have actually completed their main objective at the time because they didn't know natsu was END. Igneel and parents dragon coming out was a very good idea. Mashima really cooked in that arc.

The major difference between tartaros and Alvarez arc is that. Erza's POF bs in tartaros arc was way worse than Alvarez arc but the good of the tartaros arc makes that nonsense negligible but you can't say the same for Alvarez arc and there's was actually consequences but mashima had to just retconned. Elfman should have never been accepted back into the guild for what he did.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I agree with this to. It's one of the things I loved about tartaros. They were ruthless savages. Pretty good

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tartaros is not my favorite but it’s up there

Cosmicstar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tartarous arc was okay not the best arc like some claims it to be.

I know some people love the Lucy fight but outside of seeing the celestial spirit king I am pretty indifferent to it. I think it was weird that Loke was shocked Lucy could do a triple summons when before she got second origin she could summon 5 zodiac keys at once during the Loke arc. Aquarius and Virgo was there that time too so them being shocked made no sense either. With Second origin it should have been much easier and she could summon them longer. So for that wasn't a big moment as Hiro tried to make it look. Especially when an arc earlier she opened more than 3 zodiac keys at once and faced no fatigue from it during the closing of the Eclipse gate. The fact it was made such a big deal that Lucy could do a triple summon made me feel like Hiro doesn't remember what he does with Lucy which is not a good thing.

I was also irritated with Aquarius performance. When we first meet Aquarius under Lucy power we see she is powerful enough to create waves about 4x the size of a huge ship. So her struggling to hold Jackal off was a joke especially when Lucy with a fraction of her power was able to easily block Jackal's nukes. Virgo and Leo disappearing after Jackal made no sense either when both clearly were still in functional condition and Lucy still had magic.

Even the whole never see Aquarius thing was pointless because Gemini already had saved a copy of Lucy in them. We know Gemini can mimic the celestial spirit keys and summon spirits. So Lucy should still be able to use Gemini to summon Aquarius.

I also hated the whole Takeover working on Seliah when moments earlier it was confirmed Takeover doesn't work on her. Why even make the statement if you were going to retcon it seconds later.

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tartarous arc was okay not the best arc like some claims it to be.
I agree it’s not the best arc (that different for everyone) but to me it’s the last really good arc we’ve seen in for awhile