Question - The Ape Titan (aka Big Foot) | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question The Ape Titan (aka Big Foot)

The Ape Titan is...

• ...human-based.

Votes: 79 62.7%
  • ...a pure titan.

Votes: 47 37.3%

• Total voters

Fayte

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe if you remove the fact that one of those creatures do not have skin and is a lot taller than the other, they'll look the same. The titan in the wall is more like the Colossal titan, in that it doesn't have developed skin. You can clearly see the absence of lips and developed cheek skin.

anime1007

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello to all :D

First of all about the look,

I think that the Ape Titan is a anthropoid specifically a chimpanzee(chimp) so that he is a raw giant but with the effect of Evolution so that he can talk.

kinda like "Planet of the Apes"

I think that the Ape Titan is someone very Special because he can talk and is kinda like a leader.
Also I think that he might be the origin of all Titans and the other Titans were descended from him.
I think that the other titans are kind of dumb or kind of baby or little child, because they cannot control theirselves(just a few).
In Chapter 35 page 34 I think the ape titan said to the little titan that he should hold(Mike Zakarius) but he ignored it or he not mentioned it and has wanted to eat him, this titan would be like a baby and the titan I mean which would be like a child on page 37 because he hasn´t done something until the Ape Titan told him that now he can...so this type of titan must understood what the ape titan said.

Also I think that the Ape Titan is dangerous because not on the first look/read but on the second you can see that on chapter 38 on page 37 Ymir,Bertholdt and Reiner are VERY shoked of seeing the Ape Titan also I think they have something to do with him or at least Bertholdt and Reiner because all of you know they can turn into a titan and they know as well what´s going on.

So I hope I haven´t forgot anything ;) just my theory

Last edited:

King Sinbad

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know enough to forum any kind of solid opinion, but I think he may have something to do with the origins of the titans, but only time will tell.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Hello to all :D

First of all about the look,

I think that the Ape Titan is a anthropoid specifically a chimpanzee(chimp) so that he is a raw giant but with the effect of Evolution so that he can talk.

kinda like "Planet of the Apes"

I think that the Ape Titan is someone very Special because he can talk and is kinda like a leader.
Also I think that he might be the origin of all Titans and the other Titans were descended from him.
I think that the other titans are kind of dumb or kind of baby or little child, because they cannot control theirselves(just a few).
In Chapter 35 page 34 I think the ape titan said to the little titan that he should hold(Mike Zakarius) but he ignored it or he not mentioned it and has wanted to eat him, this titan would be like a baby and the titan I mean which would be like a child on page 37 because he hasn´t done something until the Ape Titan told him that now he can...so this type of titan must understood what the ape titan said.

Also I think that the Ape Titan is dangerous because not on the first look/read but on the second you can see that on chapter 38 on page 37 Ymir,Bertholdt and Reiner are VERY shoked of seeing the Ape Titan also I think they have something to do with him or at least Bertholdt and Reiner because all of you know they can turn into a titan and they know as well what´s going on.

So I hope I haven´t forgot anything ;) just my theory

Welcome.

My post contains chapter 46 material, so beware! (it's out already by the way if you haven't seen it yet)

I think it's an interesting point you've picked up on, about that type of Titan understanding the Ape's speech.

I notice R & B are very surprised when they first hear that Wall Rose could have been destroyed:
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/35/3

Since they are the only two "wall destroyers" that we know of, there must be a ton of things running through their mind, like "wait, but we're here lol? who did that?"

That Ape then appears to them just like you've said, and again they look very very surprise, as if they know who the Ape is.

Reiner then suggests to Ymir, that she should know certain Titans can move at night, and some can't. This is after seeing the Ape around.

Ymir says the Ape is the culprit to the appearance of Titans this time round. It could be gauging their strength. I don't think the author would give a dialogue too off the board for Ymir to speak. My bold assumption is, there has to be some truth to what she says here. Also, let's assume the Titans really are originally the people from Connie's village, then the Ape has connection/ability/method to turning people into Titans (that can move about at night.)

R & B are after the Ape. If it's found, R & B can go home. R & B don't deny it. (Reiner asks Eren to go home with them after seeing the Ape, having not the need to continue with the mission.) And Ymir is definitely in the know, because when she's about to tell Eren who the real enemy is, Reiner stops her (meaning her views are probably correct.)

If killing R & B cannot end things, then that Ape is likely to be a deciding factor in the 'war' that could be going on currently.

Ymir's safety is not guaranteed. Does that mean the side she's on is the opposing side to R&B's? If this 'world' doesn't have a future, are they talking about humanity? Then why did they mention saving Christa? and how? Assuming humanity doesn't have a future, does saving her mean turning her into a Titan? if so, who can do that? The Ape???

Sorry for being incoherent in my ideas, just random points that could be interesting and be answered if anyone felt like it.

ImmortalZodd

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
If the Ape titan is simply ape transformed, why the hell would it speak human?
I think that his appereance it's just the author telling us something, for example, that he is the the primeval, true, original titan, very much unlike the titan shifters and mindless titans.

It's also interesting to notice how author didn't want to give away the importance of this character right away, in his physical appereance.
For comparisom:
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/35/43
And in the latest chapter(46) after his importance was revealed..
http://www.mangainn.com/manga/chapter/106087_shingeki-no-kyojin_chapter_46/page_36

Hmm, and that first picture, he said "what an interesting thing they invented". They as in, humans? Which would again support the idea that he is a race of its own, a true titan.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I see I'm not the only one who thinks the ape titan is the true, original "Ymir" derived from Norse Mythology. Personally I think "Ymir" (beast titan) is in fact a "primeval" being and original titan, which is also supposed to have a "hairy" body according to legend. That said, I don't think that means it couldn't have been created by humans. It could be created by them, it could even be part-human (and I do lean toward believing it's Dr. Jaeger right now). Either that or it's got insanely good learning abilities, to be able to perfectly mimic human language without any aspect of humanity to it.

That it doesn't know what the 3D gear is for does imply that not only is it "out of touch," but it might be gauging humans' strength. And what if it has some kind of control over titans? Like what if Reiner and Berthold were taken in by its persuasiveness when they broke down the wall (if they were working for him) but now they see it as the enemy? What if the beast/ape titan gives other titans the ability to roam around at night (like by changing their sleep habits or something, who knows, lol)? Just a little brainstorming here...

Last edited:

mrveggie

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just found some more proof of the ape titan being a human

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/38/22

Basically the ape titan was staying here before he turned everyone in the village into titans

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

If the Ape titan is simply ape transformed, why the hell would it speak human?
I think that his appereance it's just the author telling us something, for example, that he is the the primeval, true, original titan, very much unlike the titan shifters and mindless titans.

It's also interesting to notice how author didn't want to give away the importance of this character right away, in his physical appereance.
For comparisom:
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/35/43
And in the latest chapter(46) after his importance was revealed..
http://www.mangainn.com/manga/chapter/106087_shingeki-no-kyojin_chapter_46/page_36

Hmm, and that first picture, he said "what an interesting thing they invented". They as in, humans? Which would again support the idea that he is a race of its own, a true titan.

When he says he said "what an interesting thing they invented", he just means the people inside the walls. He's obviously a human from outside the walls (reiner/bertholds village)

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but here's something I noticed: I have confirmed the beast titan is in both chapter 1 of the manga and episode 1 of the anime, in the opening scene where the recon corps hunts a tall titan in the giant forest. The manga shows its odd elongated form but the anime clinches it, because you can see his hairless belly.

ImmortalZodd

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Hairless belly? But he's hairless all over. And if it was a Ape titan, then it would have known about 3DM. Besides, it was first titan that was shown in the manga, so the author probably just wanted to make it look more scary.

But on the other hand, this could be the bigest proof that he's human:
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/35/38
"Then you have an idea about what's in the nape of our necks"
Since we already know that's the location of the human body in shapeshifters, that would mean he has a human body as well. Also, he uses ''our necks'', implying there are others like him.

Fayte

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but here's something I noticed: I have confirmed the beast titan is in both chapter 1 of the manga and episode 1 of the anime, in the opening scene where the recon corps hunts a tall titan in the giant forest. The manga shows its odd elongated form but the anime clinches it, because you can see his hairless belly.
I'm not totally convinced yet. The detailing in the manga is different.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

I think it's this one:
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/11/19

Bottom panel lol.

Compare to chapter 1: (and also ep1, which is a bit clearer)
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/1/13

They look soooo alike.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yep. Normally I wouldn't pay attention to what happens in the anime but it's been awfully faithful to the manga, for the most part, and what other titans do we know of that have dark (hairy) bodies and light-coloured bellies like that? The beast titan's very tall, uniquely-proportioned body shape is also fairly consistent in the chapters where we know it's him and in that form in chapter 1, more or less, though Isayama's style was a little different back then.

@Utsune: Are you sure it's chapter 11 you want? Maybe a later one instead? ^_^;

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yep. Normally I wouldn't pay attention to what happens in the anime but it's been awfully faithful to the manga, for the most part, and what other titans do we know of that have dark (hairy) bodies and light-coloured bellies like that? The beast titan's very tall, uniquely-proportioned body shape is also fairly consistent in the chapters where we know it's him and in that form in chapter 1, more or less, though Isayama's style was a little different back then.

@Utsune: Are you sure it's chapter 11 you want? Maybe a later one instead? ^_^;
Ah sorry for being slightly unclear (or maybe I've misunderstood you >_<; )

My point is, the first Titan we ever see isn't the monkey one:

Instead, it is the one that appears in Chapter 11. Is this what you're referring to?

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Maybe that is the case in the manga and they're doing some anime-original thing with the first ep of the anime then? In the anime, there is a clear colour difference (circular area on the stomach) that is not from shading. I'm not allowed to post attachments or I'd show a still from the anime. Sorry, I don't want to create an image hosting account just for this.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Maybe that is the case in the manga and they're doing some anime-original thing with the first ep of the anime then? In the anime, there is a clear colour difference (circular area on the stomach) that is not from shading. I'm not allowed to post attachments or I'd show a still from the anime. Sorry, I don't want to create an image hosting account just for this.
Are you referring to this?

I think it's just fat, hence the shading :P But the main thing is, it's bald lol. The manga Chapter 1 makes it really clear that it is bald because his head is very reflective loool.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Hairless belly? But he's hairless all over. And if it was a Ape titan, then it would have known about 3DM. Besides, it was first titan that was shown in the manga, so the author probably just wanted to make it look more scary.

But on the other hand, this could be the bigest proof that he's human:
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/35/38
"Then you have an idea about what's in the nape of our necks"
Since we already know that's the location of the human body in shapeshifters, that would mean he has a human body as well. Also, he uses ''our necks'', implying there are others like him.
I think he was talking about titans in general when he said that. The one weak point of all titans is the nape of the neck, that much has been constant so far. The machine simply allowed him to induce that humans figured out that they could kill titans by cutting the nape of the neck as the machine obviously allows them to reach that spot.

dabrickmaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that the Ape Titan is a hibernating Titan from underground of Connie's village.

He could not have been someone from within the Walls or else he would have known about the current tech and such. Likewise, he couldn't have been from outside of walls, because he would have known about the Scouting Legion and how they can definitely kill Titans using their 3D gear. Also if he were from outside as a Titan, he would have been spotted a mile away, but instead he just magically appeared out of nowhere within the walls. And if he were from outside, he would have to get past the walls somehow. We know he can climb, but even climbing would leave noticeable marks, and we know not a single trace of breaching was found.

So if he's not from within the walls or outside the walls, he had to be from underground. One idea in mind was that he's involved in some epic mission to dig a massive underground tunnels to reach inside the Walls to destroy humanity. This, however, would make no sense since he could have just invaded upfront and wipe out humanity np.

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that he is one of the Titans that have been hibernating for a century(s) like those titans within the walls somewhere and have just recently awakened. This fits the description that he doesn't know anything about current events and standards. We have proof that Annie is capable of crystalizing herself, and we have proof that there are Titans within the walls themselves that are hibernating and are capable of reawakening too, as feared by Pastor Nick. Armin speculates this:

And so far in the series, Armin's speculations or hunches have been 100% or pretty close to 100% correct/relevant.

Then Reiner and Bert's original mission could very well have been to search for the dormant titans or wait for their reawakening.

Also, One of the first places he was heading was Castle Utgard, which according to wikia means "Stronghold of the Giants," and the place is already pretty mysterious since there are really deep dungeons that I don't think anyone's been.

If the Ape Titan was hibernating and has just reawakened, then it looks like he may not be the only one. It looks like a lot more dormant Titans are about to reawake as well, and hell's gonna break loose.

One thing that doesn't quite make sense with this is that how could he be the "mastermind" behind all this? But one thing is for certain, the Ape Titan cannot be the one who commands Reiner, Bert, and Annie. I believe that Reiner, Bert, and Annie's faction are looking for the Ape Titan or his kind and that was their original mission.

Last edited:

Bandreus

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Everything concerning the Ape Titan is very mysterious indeed and the details about its origins are very much open for speculation.

I'm not used to let myself go with wild speculations, but I agree the Ape Titan definitely doesn't look like someone/something who was in contact with walls inhabitants in recent years. About why exactly is that (being hibernated, coming from outside or what have you) I'm left clueless like anyone else.

As far as Reiner, Berth and Annie go, their original mission specifically was to wipe out every human inside the walls. This is by Reiner's own admission, so I guess we can be pretty sure about that. In fact, I would say R&B&A are terrorists more than anything else (causing destruction, acting undercover among enemy lines, etc). This is heavily implied by their actions and also consistent with what has been shown in their memories up till now.

He also states "there's no need anymore" (to wipe out humans living inside walls), but why exactly they change their plan on the fly is very much up in the air still. It's been deducted (I think by Amirn? Can't remember) the Colossal and Armored Titans restrained from attacking the wall again because of Eren's Titan, hence opting to kidnap him instead. Having tracked the Ape could very well be a possibility too, but I guess we can't be that sure yet. More in the next chapter, hopefully?

I don't think Reiner's and Bertholdth's plan was to track the Ape Titan from the get go tough. They sincerely look surprised upon seeing it at Castle Utgard, so I would suppose they never expected it to be there in the first place. Or never hoped for that to happen, by the very least. It looks like they know what the Ape Titan is but aren't willing to share whatever info they got and, again, this isn't very clear yet either.

Still, this is lots of assumptions, we lack any reasonable amount of information for us to be sure about what exactly is going on with lots of stuff.

dabrickmaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
As far as Reiner, Berth and Annie go, their original mission specifically was to wipe out every human inside the walls. This is by Reiner's own admission, so I guess we can be pretty sure about that. In fact, I would say R&B&A are terrorists more than anything else (causing destruction, acting undercover among enemy lines, etc). This is heavily implied by their actions and also consistent with what has been shown in their memories up till now.

He also states "there's no need anymore" (to wipe out humans living inside walls), but why exactly they change their plan on the fly is very much up in the air still. It's been deducted (I think by Amirn? Can't remember) the Colossal and Armored Titans restrained from attacking the wall again because of Eren's Titan, hence opting to kidnap him instead. Having tracked the Ape could very well be a possibility too, but I guess we can't be that sure yet. More in the next chapter, hopefully?
Then does the Ape Titan's appearance have anything to do with the completion of their mission? Or does he have something to do with their return back to their hometown?

I don't think Reiner's and Bertholdth's plan was to track the Ape Titan from the get go tough. They sincerely look surprised upon seeing it at Castle Utgard, so I would suppose they never expected it to be there in the first place. Or never hoped for that to happen, by the very least. It looks like they know what the Ape Titan is but aren't willing to share whatever info they got and, again, this isn't very clear yet either.

Still, this is lots of assumptions, we lack any reasonable amount of information for us to be sure about what exactly is going on with lots of stuff.
Yeah, we need more info