Summer The Baseball Thread

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

by Phins I believe he is talking about the Miami Dolphins (an NFL team, of which he is a fan of).

I don't mind games being played in other countries, whether they're just exhibition games, or games that "count". Like already said, it's good for publicity, and overall, to promote the game of baseball across the globe. That's always a good thing. This way, the young Ichiros, the young Matsui, the young Albert Pujols, etc., will get to see pro athletes play in their own homeland. In other words, it's a great tool as far as recruiting future foreign players, because witnessing these pro baseball games happen within their homeland will be a great source of inspiration for them.

Speaking of baseball, what's everyone's thoughts on Barry Bonds possibly surpassing Hank Aaron's homerun record? Will you cheer for him? Will you be indifferent about it? Will you "boo" him?

Because of all the steroids thing, assuming Bonds did it, I'll still cheer for him. Hey, it's an amazing accomplishment, with or without steroids.

I personally don't mind steroids being previously used by baseball players. If baseball players really cared about the fact that they were being "cheated" of the game, then how come nobody was courageous enough to "rat" on somebody, a long time ago? The fact that this has been allowed to happen "underground" for so long, and it's widespread use, I don't see the big deal. As a fan, I pay to watch players perform. I'm not bothered too much about "performance-enhancing drugs", because heck, let's admit it, that's what we, fans, paid to see.

As far as I'm concerned, it was the non-steroid-using-players who were the real victims. But they were too wussy to open their mouths about it, so then that must mean it didn't bother them that much, either.

So yeah, good luck Bonds! Quit accusing the man unless you have solid evidence, and let the man play some baseball.


EDIT:

Did you guys hear about Roger Clemen's return to the Yankees? Yeah, I just heard it in the news last night. Hmm...will he still be able to play, despite being 44? I'm optimistic, I'm sure he'll do well.
 
Last edited:

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Baseball Topic

I hope Bonds breaks both his legs or something. I don't want to see no cheater get this record, and I think it's a damn shame that he will get it.

Also, about other players being too wussy to speak out about it, remember that most of the players that we think/know did steroids were not only the best players on their team, but among the best in the league. Like any other job situation, it's very hard to speak out against the "top dog."

Forget Clemens, did you hear the Yankees radio announcer talking about it? Was she seeing the second coming Roger Clemens or the second coming of Jesus?
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

I mean, you're right...and I'm not condoning steroid use. Assuming Bonds used steroids, then he is in fact a “cheater”.

But if you think about it, this sort of "cheating" is inevitable, and there are many pressures involved that made "cheating" tempting, that players like Ruth, Hank Aaron, Gherig and those guys never had to face ---- and that pressure is "money".

Nowadays, baseball players are paid in the millions of dollars. As you can imagine, these “cheaters” weren’t concerned at all about breaking “records”…all they cared about was the economic benefits of cheating.

These “selfish” actions are understandable and very human. I believe any great player would have been susceptible to such pressure. If Ruth and those guys were to face these similar economic pressures, I’m sure at least one of them would have succumbed to “cheating”. It’s unethical, but it isn’t stupid. Not when the benefit equals millions of dollars.

I don’t condone it, but I understand why they did it. So if Bonds breaks that record, it really doesn’t matter. Even he knows he did it dishonorably, and he doesn’t need us to remind him of it.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Baseball Topic

Barry Bonds was arguably the best player in baseball before he juiced up. He was jealous of McGwire and Sosa getting all the attention while he was accomplishing things that had never been done before.
 

Uchiha Slayer

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
406
Reaction score
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Not really...He was good before he got juiced up...
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Schilling just went on the DL, but I don't think that hurt too much. It's not great, but the Sox seem to have plenty of pitching right now. Plus, the bats are coming alive (5 hrs tonight). Still June, but I guess we'll see what happens.
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

I haven't been watching much of the interleague lately, but I did hear about that. It's too bad, but I agree, our pitching doesn't leave much room for worry right now.

5 homers tonight? It's about time!! I always seem to watch on Manny and Ortiz's slow nights... :XD
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

^The sox are 10.5 games up, so things are good. :) This latest road trip they've been is a killer though. You're right about Manny, he needs to step things up.


There's still time for Red Sox fans to cast an online all-star vote for pitcher Hideki Okajima. The guy's been lights out all year and definetly deserves it.
 
Last edited:

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Already voted for him, MadDog...Oki ftw!! :amuse

He really has been fantastic this season. With him and Papelbon around, I have nothing but confidence and love for our bullpen :D

Seems like we're the only Sox fans around here, unfortunately, but maybe we can get some more votes anyway. How can you not love that guy, right? :XD
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Hey! It must've worked because Oki got in. I think a big part of his success is that people haven't had a chance to figure him out, but he's got nasty stuff. Yeah, the sox would not be having this kind of a season without the guy.


Since I think I'm the only one talks baseball besides Yomiko, I don't feel too bad posting after myself. :amuse

Anyway, the red sox are still 7 games up, so there's no need to panic (even though are a few reasons to panic if you listen to sports talk radio, which I do my best to avoid).

Kason Gabbard is a bright spot, plus Lugo is starting to hit (finally).

Call me nuts, but I'm going on record saying that the sox will play the Mets in the world series, and take a little revenge for '86. I actually hope that they play someone else because the Bill Buckner comments/replays will make me ill.
 
Last edited:

rabb

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
1,572
Reaction score
26
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

hey, this place does have a baseball thread! yay! sox ftw :amuse but... baseball is far from my sport. i rarely watch it. but, i am a loyal masshole, so i still cheer for the sox.
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

rabb posted in the baseball topic!! and we're above 600 again!! Not a bad weekend we just had, finally we're swinging like we were meant to be, too :D

Lester's the big story though, obviously. What a guy, he deserves a big :hug :amuse

hmm...wonder where Venom and all the other NL'ers around here went. They better come back soon, or this thread is going to become the Red Sox Topic instead :smile-big :smile-big
 

rabb

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
1,572
Reaction score
26
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

uhhh... who's lester? and what do you mean we're above 600? *is so out of his league*
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Jon Lester, he's a starting pitcher. He made his first start Monday since beating a type of lymphoma cancer he was diagnosed with about a year ago. The game was vs. the Indians, and he got the win :amuse

our average is over 600. .604 exactly, 61 wins, 40 losses. The Yanks are second in the AL East with a .535 average...and woah!! I just realized we've pulled ahead of detroit!! So now we're also first in the AL, and the only team above 600!! :whoo (not sure if this is all counting tonight's loss...probably not... :crying)
 

rabb

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
1,572
Reaction score
26
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

:oh *is a baseball noob* :wtf

if it doesnt... that makes it .598..... either way, thats good, right?
 

Uchiha Slayer

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
406
Reaction score
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

What about those braves...They made some pretty good moves...But I'm really going to miss that dude with the weird last name(not going to attempt to spell it), but I thought he might have been a super star in the making.
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

What about those braves...They made some pretty good moves...But I'm really going to miss that dude with the weird last name(not going to attempt to spell it), but I thought he might have been a super star in the making.
Saltalamacchia? Sounds like an appetizer you'd order at a restaurant in the north end. :D

Yeah, the Braves added a solid bat with Mark Texeira and solid bullpen help with Octavio Dotel. They're hanging on in the NL East, but the Mets are still playing well. (not to mention the Phillies who've won 8 out their last 10). The Braves are looking good the for the NL wild card if those guys contribute.

I'm surprised that the Yankees didn't end up with Gagne, instead of the Sox. They've got the $ but no prospects to give up.
 

rabb

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
1,572
Reaction score
26
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Clemens was booed off mound! i lul'd XD

my aunt and grandparents are braves fans. they watch them almost every night x.x i've got a coworker from florida who likes them, as well.
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

I heard about Clemens getting boo'd - thats fantastic. Still, it's less embarrasing than this old commercial he did....


The sox lost their 9th straight game in Seattle. My guess is that they're so wiped out by the time they get across country that playing good baseball is kind of a joke. Also, as much as I hate to say it...Timlin needs to go at some point. He's just not the same pitcher he used to be.


Schilling made is return to the sox tonight after 6 weeks away. Game against the LA Angels of Anaheim in progress (2-2) in the 4th. What's real interesting is that Manny somehow got himself tossed from the game. Also, the yanks have won four straight so that sox need to get serious (not that they're not serious already).

Also, Bonds is going for some kind of record. Not really sure which....something to do with homeruns (sarcastic). Don't really care that much, I just don't want to hear about it anymore.
 
Last edited:

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Manny said something to the ump which must not have been too friendly :XD

but still, the ump wasn't right, he called Manny on an unchecked swing for a strike, but it was really close. he should have at least reviewed it with the other guys :darn
 
Top