Manhwa - The Breaker by Geuk-Jin Jeon and Jin-Hwan Park | Page 66 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Manhwa The Breaker by Geuk-Jin Jeon and Jin-Hwan Park

djimbey

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Reality is a bit fierce. So many years of waiting and we have this piece of trash 🗑.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's interesting to see everyone reacting so negatively to this because I honestly don't hate it so far.:p

It's certainly not what I was expecting and the art is a little iffy (but keep in mind the poor artist was forced to draw this shit twice because of the author so I'm not surprised it's not his best work). And to be fair it still looks pretty decent.

Reaching chapter 6, it's seems like decent enough story. And I don't think I agree with Shioon being turned into a GMR clone; which was my initial fear. This new version of him is very much a murim character in a way GMR never was. GMR was rebel on the outside of that society where Shioon has become an important person on the inside of it. At his core though he still does seem to be the same vanilla-ish dude. Just a more world weary version of that.

Plot structure wise we're going about 70/30 Shioon and this new kid. Which I think is fine. I'd prefer more Shioon. and I'd think we'll get there, but they are clearly using this kid to reintroduction us to the people in Shioons life and the Sunwoo clan and all of that. So I think that split is pretty reasonable at this stage.

glio

Reaction score
Country
France
Not trashy trash, but it sure is a bit disappointing. At least from my point of view. We got two seasons of a MC and I don’t think I want to change that…
Let’s wait maybe this guy will just be a way to see Shioon shine again. :/

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not trashy trash, but it sure is a bit disappointing. At least from my point of view. We got two seasons of a MC and I don’t think I want to change that…
Let’s wait maybe this guy will just be a way to see Shioon shine again. :/
If they are really trying to swap out main characters. I would hate that too. I just don't think that's what I'm reading here.

The kid is going to be a significant part of the plot but it seems like a complimentary piece to Shioons plotline rather than something attempting to supplant it, if that makes sense. If this season is going to be about Shioon framed in this new clan leader and mentor role in the run up to whatever inevitable mess GMR and his kung fu terrorists and/or evil government people will cause. I can read that pretty happily I think.

djimbey

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I can understand iffy draw , and idc rly about that. But story... They just copy it from first season. Not interesting rly. Because nothing new and small part of viewing main characters

braveheart655

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Denmark
First of all, storywise we dont need a new character who will be a burden to Shioon. There are enough people around Shioon to cause him enough disruptions. In the end, it can only serve to drag the story.

Second of all, why did Shioon agree to teach him, feed him valuable drugs etc without even knowing the kid's character? The kid just wants to get stronger. The solution Kang Sera offered is way more plausible than introducing a hapless kid into murim and potentially ruin his life.

Third of all, first two seasons supposedly made Shioon steel his heart and turned him into an authentic Murim person after all the hardships and losses. That naive Shioon is supposed to be no more. It's time to become the ultimate martial artist to go against Kaiser. But guess what, Shioon wants to play teacher before he heals himself to go against GMR?

Last of all, if you want to make the little guy the focus of season 3 at least make him work for it. Don't make him taller and buffed in less than a month. If you want to do this do it right.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
First of all, storywise we dont need a new character who will be a burden to Shioon. There are enough people around Shioon to cause him enough disruptions. In the end, it can only serve to drag the story.

Second of all, why did Shioon agree to teach him, feed him valuable drugs etc without even knowing the kid's character? The kid just wants to get stronger. The solution Kang Sera offered is way more plausible than introducing a hapless kid into murim and potentially ruin his life.

Third of all, first two seasons supposedly made Shioon steel his heart and turned him into an authentic Murim person after all the hardships and losses. That naive Shioon is supposed to be no more. It's time to become the ultimate martial artist to go against Kaiser. But guess what, Shioon wants to play teacher before he heals himself to go against GMR?

Last of all, if you want to make the little guy the focus of season 3 at least make him work for it. Don't make him taller and buffed in less than a month. If you want to do this do it right.
To the first point, it isn't needed really. But it is one method of smoothly bringing the reader back into Shioon's life after all this time. Because there is a lot of exposition that needs to happen. In order to facilitate that you need an excuse to explain these things. Having a kid who knows nothing gives a perfect excuse to explain these things to the reader. So it serves a solid purpose.

To the second, Shioon agreed to teach him because he sees him as being much that same as he once was. He saw a kid in need and he reluctantly stepped in just like GMR did for him all those years ago. It makes sense. And the kid wasn't wrong, he probably would have died if he hadn't. He's not thrilled about bringing him into the murim, clearly. But from a motivation standpoint I get where he's coming from.

To the third, Shioon will always be Shioon. Or at least he should be. A "hardened" version of a good guy character is still a good guy. Otherwise he really would just be GMR 2.0. We're obviously going to get more insight in what he thinks about his role in the world , his place in it, and how well he actually fills that role. However, I don't think it's a "he must be this" or "he must be that" situation. All of that is very dependent one where the story goes.

braveheart655

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
@Jammin
It made sense in season 1 because we knew nothing about Breaker-verse. But after 2 seasons, we could have some temporary new guy to remind us who is who and what is what. For instance, Kang Sera could assign a newbie murim person to tag along Shioon to help him. Through this new guy, we could learn current state of Murim and Shioon.

The little guy wants to get stronger to go against bullies. Kang sera solved his problem. Hence he doesnt need to get stronger anymore. But Shioon, who is already burdened by Sunwoo clan, wants to take on additional responsibility akin to parenthood when he simply doesnt have to. the little guy could have a perfectly good life but Shioon ruins his life lol.

ps. similarities between the little guy and Shioon is simply poor/lazy writing imo.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I mean, there are things to explain. Like what's the status of the Sunwoo clan is and all of that. In addition to what Shioon's relationships with all these people are. Though I think even beyond that. The Breaker has been on hiatus for 7 years. They have to give a refresher course in a lot of this stuff. They pretty much need to. It's probably been a decade since I read The Breaker S1 if not more, and I suspect a lot of people are much the same. He's already doing a pretty good job in that capacity, I think.

His problem was only solved as long as Shioon was backing him, pretty much. As them finding him half dead in an alley illustrated. Clearly he wants to undergo a change and be stronger just as Shioon once did. Whether this will ultimately be something Shioon regrets helping him with, who knows? Seems like this kid had very little to lose, even less than Shioon did. So in that sense I sort of doubt it.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I wasn't particularly annoyed at first. I have no doubt that Shi-Woon will still be the main protagonist but the two last chapters with Shiwoon giving the new guy the pills and the hints that he also has a special body condition? It's a bit too much, isn't it? -_-;

I am not particular about the art but Jinie didn't look great at all... In some panels she looked terrible even... 😭 Hopefully it's because the artist had to redraw chapters.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
It has to be the redrawing. This artist has drawn a lot of series and all of them looked great. It would be super weird if this was his A game now.

Like Trinity Wonder was full color webtoon and it looked fantastic, as I recall.

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Really not fancying how this is almost a complete mirror of TB S1.

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
lol didn't expect this serie to continue, waited so long til i gave up and forgot the story. now i'd have to re-read s1 and s2 if i wanna pick up where i left

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Pretty sure Shioon will teach the bullied kid everything and by the end of the season that bullied kid will die in the hands of GMR or GMR's underling.

And after that we will leave to wait 7 more years for the next season.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty sure Shioon will teach the bullied kid everything and by the end of the season that bullied kid will die in the hands of GMR or GMR's underling.

And after that we will leave to wait 7 more years for the next season.
Think we'll get Trinity Wonder S2 then?:XD

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
lol didn't expect this serie to continue, waited so long til i gave up and forgot the story. now i'd have to re-read s1 and s2 if i wanna pick up where i left
You don't even need to re-read the 1st and 2nd season pretty much the author is making a new series in this 3rd season you only need to know is the basics of the story like GMR teaches Shioon in 1st season > Shioon becoming Sunwoo Clan head in 2nd season > Shioon becoming Discount GMR in this 3rd season.

Season 3 of Breaker is pretty much like Dark Souls you get DS 1 , 2 and 3 but you don't need to play 1 and 2 to play DS 3.

I think even if someone didn't read two seasons of breaker will get the gist of the story because in this Season 3 Shioon and other older characters are just doing a Cameo and it's all about the bullied kid.

I think in 6 chapters the bullied kid has more screen time than Shioon like 30% we see Shioon and other older characters and other 70% is just the bullied kid

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
That said, a lot of those series tended to fall apart as they progressed; as most long running series do. Series with a mentor/disciple dynamic often sort of let themselves get to focused on the "strong and cool from the start" mentor characters and never really build into a more rounded sort of story.

That's a good point.

The senpai kohai dynamic is too normalized and no one seems to know what to do with it.

braveheart655

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Let me list what Shioon could do instead of taking the kid as a disciple:

1. Take him to the hospital, take care of the bullies in silence and let the kid continue his life like millions of other students. He'd join a gym or dojo if he really wants to get stronger.

2. Let Kang Sera take care of the bully problem and secretly look out for the kid.

3. Let Kang Sera take the kid in her own clan. It's their territory after all and they should be the one to take him in if necessary.

4. Let the kid in Sunwoo clan as a regular retainer. He would be stronger without being a burden to Shioon.

But what did the author do? He made the kid exactly same as Shioon (even the same type of mother) which is one in a billion chance IRL. Afterwards, instead of choosing one of the above choices, Shioon chooses to take the guy as a disciple to put him through a torture of a fate as the kid would be a person of interest for GMR as well as GMR's, Sunwoo clan's and Shioon's enemies. He might as well kill the kid himself instead of putting him in so much trouble.

Unfortunately, the kid is here to stay for a long time. Even the screen time Shioon got in the first 6 chapters are mainly related to the kid. The author didn't even bother to give the kid an original background. After 7 years, the author makes changes to the story after 10 chapters are finished. Could he be even more sloppy/unwilling to do the story? Don't make me even start on the illustrator. If he had to do the re-draws he could postpone the release couple of more months to give readers what they deserve. Remember the fan-service covers before? It showed how much they cared for the readers back then.

At this point, it seems like they were fed up with fan harassment and gave us this sh*t to shut us up. It's exactly what happened with Matrix 4. It almost feels like they want to ruin the Breaker beyond repair so that they could move on with their lives.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Like i said before Shioon will teach this bullied kid and that bullied kid will be the target of Shioon's enemies like Breaker Season 1 where GMR's enemies target Shioon because he's GMR's disciple.

Shioon's bullied kid disciple will likely gets killed by GMR or GMR's mini boss and Shioon will go on a killing spree like GMR did on Breaker Season 1.

The bullied kid dying on Shioon is like Shi-ho dying on GMR. Also is Shi-Ho still in the capsule waiting to get revived?

Seeing 6 chapters i think that the author is just rehashing everything from Season 1. If i were the author i should have made Season 3 a prequel about GMR's Master and GMR and how GMR lives after his Master's suicide. We know a little about GMR's master just snippets of flashbacks from GMR , Former Alliance Head and Yoo Ji.

Last edited: