Year Round The Football/Soccer Thread v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Go England! Way to waste our time. Maybe Terry will become the captain again.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
I'm saying it comes down to a free speech issue. Within the bylaws of the FA they can do what they want, but the law should have no place in this kind of matter. That's why I brought up actually physical assault since that happens all the time. But in the realm of sport it's accepted to be a hazard of the game and it's not always seen by the officials. But there sure is enough videotape evidence. It's the same with verbal things but they're not always as conspicuous. So because someone who wasn't even within range of hearing what happened complained they opened an investigation? (Was this person even AT the match? :huh) It seems hyper-sensitive and I don't see what purpose it serves. But again, the FA itself can do whatever they want and have.
Basically there are a lot of exceptions in regards to freedom of speech which range from abuse to incitement, (Incitement to terrorism is a favourite by the police post london bombings i.e. you can be locked up for saying something like "we need to bomb london to make our point" but not for "london deserved to be bombed", semantics). As in in anything else you have every right to say racist stuff, but you cant say it to abuse people. Something this whole trial stood on. John terry admitted to saying black cunt, which is a racist term. He cannot be tried for that. The issue was whether he said it as a question (which his defence states) or if he said it to attack Ferdinand. I agree with what you say though, a lot of the laws here need to be seriously reassessed. Dont even get me started on our libel and injunction laws. >.>

If anyone is interested he is the case judgement summary. Its not a long read and quite interesting actually. Ill just highlight some parts I thought were interesting if anyone cant be bothered to read it all.

The defendant does not deny that he used the words, “fuck off, fuck off”,
“fucking black cunt” or “fucking knobhead”. His case is that his words were
not uttered by way of abuse or insult nor were they intended to be abusive or
insulting. [..] He says they were used after a perceived false accusation made by Mr
Ferdinand, the accusation being to the effect that the defendant had used the
term “black cunt” during their exchanges with each other.

Weighing all the evidence together, I think it is highly unlikely that Mr
Ferdinand accused Mr Terry on the pitch of calling him a black cunt.
However I accept that it is possible that Mr Terry believed at the time, and
believes now, that such an accusation was made.

The prosecution evidence as to what was said by Mr Ferdinand at this point
is not strong. Mr Cole gives corroborating (although far from compelling corroborating)
evidence on this point. It is therefore possible that what he said was not
intended as an insult, but rather as a challenge to what he believed had
been said to him.

In those circumstances, there being a doubt, the only verdict the court can
record is one of not guilty.
Since you have to "prove beyond all reasonable doubt" and there was doubt, the defence won.

The conspiracy theories (is there any club that loves there conspiracies more? Serious question...) are already starting about the FA though . I read one which basically said the FA wanted a criminal investigation basically because the burden of proof was much higher, and if they did the same investigation as they had with Suarez they would have had to charge Terry for basically saying "black cunt" the same thing they did to Suarez. And they of course didnt want to do that...and now its unlikely they will. Sounds plausible actually.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,234
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Honestly?....:huh

This is what I was talking about. Investigation into what? Ignorance? :oh
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
So, Chelsea's first preseason match is against a bad MLS team. Who else is watching?

I'm really only curious because of Hazard and Marin, but primarily Hazard. Mata's not playing because he's playing in the Olympics, but oh well.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Lovely play by Lukaku. This is a massacre.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
So Chelsea is planing to buy Oscar it seems. A great player who would do well for any team. I bet his performance at Olympics will either strengthen their interest in him or open up new proposes. But I think it's pretty much settled since he went to do medical check ups.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Hazard clips it home.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

So Chelsea is planing to buy Oscar it seems. A great player who would do well for any team. I bet his performance at Olympics will either strengthen their interest in him or open up new proposes. But I think it's pretty much settled since he went to do medical check ups.
Yeah, probably. It seems that it's done, but we'll see. I'm watching the Olympics to see Oscar and Hulk.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Ouch, some poor defending by some of our subs and Hilario, ugh...
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Indeed both Hulk and Oscar are great players. I wonder if Chelsea still wants Hulk or have given up or those were only rumors. Though Porto does want a huge sum of money in exchange for Hulk which makes things difficult.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Indeed both Hulk and Oscar are great players. I wonder if Chelsea still wants Hulk or have given up or those were only rumors. Though Porto does want a huge sum of money in exchange for Hulk which makes things difficult.
Well, Porto's not getting their 100m euros, so who knows. We'll see what happens on that front. It does look like Oscar's been sigined though.

You watching the preseason match? The Branislav blows as a central defender. Our substitute defenders are pretty poor. No Cole or Terry out there, and as Branislav's playing for Terry, it's essentially three substitute defenders and Hilario.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Perhaps we need some actual starters, not some bums off the bench. Hilario sucks.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Unfortunately can't watch it right now cuse it's almost midnight and I should be going to sleep already :XD

Last time I saw a team pay that much for a player it was Kaká and C.Ronaldo I think. Kaká was a terrible mistake for Real, can't blame him since he's got a glass knee and is always having surgeries so it's hard to keep it together. Ronaldo on the other hand was worth every cent they paid for him.

But Hulk is not worth that much even though he's very good.

Oscar is pretty much in already since his team is already buying and looking for other players to fill in the hole. They got Forlan and some other guy and are probably looking for one more player.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Marin clips it home.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Unfortunately can't watch it right now cuse it's almost midnight and I should be going to sleep already :XD

Last time I saw a team pay that much for a player it was Kaká and C.Ronaldo I think. Kaká was a terrible mistake for Real, can't blame him since he's got a glass knee and is always having surgeries so it's hard to keep it together. Ronaldo on the other hand was worth every cent they paid for him.

But Hulk is not worth that much even though he's very good.

Oscar is pretty much in already since his team is already buying and looking for other players to fill in the hole. They got Forlan and some other guy and are probably looking for one more player.
Midnight? Go watch the match.

We all know Hulk's not worth even close to that. The 100m was the buyout clause. We were supposed to get him for 38m pounds, which is still way too much. More like 20-25m pounds is what he's worth.

Yeah, I know. I've never seen Oscar play, so I don't know how good he is. He's hyped up for sure.

Hazard and Marin have had some nice footwork tonight.

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Lukaku hammers it home.
 
Last edited:

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Oscar is very good I'd say he's got a great field vision, lots of will and this I think is one of his best traits he fights a lot for the ball and even tough he's kinda skinny he can give some body fight, he helps a lot the defense guys too and his passes accuracy is high in a game for Brazil he made 47 passes and only missed 3. I think he would be very good for chelsea.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Oscar is very good I'd say he's got a great field vision, lots of will and this I think is one of his best traits he fights a lot for the ball and even tough he's kinda skinny he can give some body fight, he helps a lot the defense guys too and his passes accuracy is high in a game for Brazil he made 47 passes and only missed 3. I think he would be very good for chelsea.
Ah, well that's good. We'll see what happens.

---------- Post added July 25, 2012 at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was July 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM ----------

Some interesting offseason moves, such as Chelsea acquiring Oscar at a way overinflated price, and the start of Olympic football.

United's still pursuing Lucas for way too much cash. Thoughts? Any thoughts on the acquisition of Hazard's younger brother by Chelsea?

Any of you watch any of the preseason tours in the US?
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Apparantly Chelsea and PSG are buying every player available. Man Utd are probably under pressure to sign a C. Ronaldo replacement, cuz I don't see any reason to buy this Lucas guy. Liverpool aren't even signing anyone yet :fail

I'm watching the Liverpool vs Roma game right now actually :XD
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Apparantly Chelsea and PSG are buying every player available. Man Utd are probably under pressure to sign a C. Ronaldo replacement, cuz I don't see any reason to buy this Lucas guy. Liverpool aren't even signing anyone yet :fail

I'm watching the Liverpool vs Roma game right now actually :XD
I was watching the match on and off. Liverpool signed that Italian guy, but he's not out here.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
So Benfica shoved 5 down Real's throat :lmao

Sure it wasn't the main team but still funny. Bet they are gonna get all overconfident until Porto utterly crushes them again :lmao

And Barça's vice president said they will try to get Neymar immediatly after the olympics. I'd be glad cuse Brazil has been doing bad for him lately. Santos lacks good players to make him evolve and isn't strict with his activities. Barça would control his parties more and playing side by side with mature stars like Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol will make him focus 100% on football again.

He's got talent but his physical activities need carefull planning.

I really hope he does go right now. That way he would become more experienced for WC2014.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Well, at least Barca's going to try to make moves so that they have a plan B. Plan A failed in the CL this year, so...
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
So, rumour is that Liverpool have made a bid for Gasto Ramirez, worth about 20 million pounds. Hope it's a done deal, we really need to beef up that midfield of ours.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Wow I'm surprised that spain was eliminated from then olympics. Guess after WC2014 spain will have a hard time finding new players to fill in for Iniesta, Xavi, Villa. Well I guess they won't find a team on that level for at least many more years. It's a team you see once every 10 years or something.

BUt who knows Barça might bring up some nice young kids.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top