Hangout - The Games Hangout Thread | Page 66 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout The Games Hangout Thread

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Yeah, Obsidian's new game looks like Fallout + Borderlands + Destiny + No Man's Sky. It's almost poetic that this trailer drops just weeks after Fallout76 completely flops...

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Crash Team Racing....that is awesome. The best kart racer returns!

And Obsidian doing their own Fallout / Mass Effect style game is great. Surprised it's coming out on PS4 too though since Obsidian was just bought by Microsoft. Regardless that game is super promising. I tried to get into their Pillars of Eternity games but just couldn't do it but New Vegas is the best Fallout game, IMO.

Then that Psychonauts 2 trailer. It looks so great.

All kinds of good stuff.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also looking forward to Dragon Age naturally but I know that game is far away and I honestly don't trust Bioware at all at this point. I'm a Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition apologist but I feel like it's pretty clear that the best Dragon Age game was Origins. Can they get back to the things that made that game great? The amazing prologue system. The way it felt like the evolution of Baldur's Gate? Ditch the MMO style open world fluff? I don't know.

I really hope so though.

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Crash Team Racing....that is awesome. The best kart racer returns!

And Obsidian doing their own Fallout / Mass Effect style game is great. Surprised it's coming out on PS4 too though since Obsidian was just bought by Microsoft. Regardless that game is super promising. I tried to get into their Pillars of Eternity games but just couldn't do it but New Vegas is the best Fallout game, IMO.

Then that Psychonauts 2 trailer. It looks so great.

All kinds of good stuff.
Also looking forward to Dragon Age naturally but I know that game is far away and I honestly don't trust Bioware at all at this point. I'm a Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition apologist but I feel like it's pretty clear that the best Dragon Age game was Origins. Can they get back to the things that made that game great? The amazing prologue system. The way it felt like the evolution of Baldur's Gate? Ditch the MMO style open world fluff? I don't know.

I really hope so though.
nope actually it make sense that it came out on PS4. A good game have a development cycle of 3-5 years, so that mean that when Microsoft bought Obsidian the game was already almost done and deals made. On the other side its Obsidian next game who will probably be a Microsoft exclus

New Vegas is my favorite Fallout so i'm already sold. hope they won't fuck it up
--- Double Post Merged, ---
I'm surprised at Marvel dropping an exclu on the switch, now i can hope for a Hulk Smash in Smash bros

Freid

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Smash ultimate online is cheeks, wow. The preferred rules system sounds like a good idea but the matchmaking still puts you into free for all matches with items on random stages even if your preference was 1 v 1 no items. Nintendo are pretty great at doing almost-good things and all they needed to do this time around was just separate the 1v1 and free for all modes. Everything else about the online is good.

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Smash ultimate online is cheeks, wow. The preferred rules system sounds like a good idea but the matchmaking still puts you into free for all matches with items on random stages even if your preference was 1 v 1 no items. Nintendo are pretty great at doing almost-good things and all they needed to do this time around was just separate the 1v1 and free for all modes. Everything else about the online is good.
it's nintendo we're talking bout they're still figuring how online work lmao. all the games i played online have been shitty stages while all i wanted was battlefield

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
Games you all are most anticipating?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Resident Evil 2 Remake - no explanation needed
Metro Exodus - no explanation needed
Afterparty - Oxenfree was great, was playing Night School's next game regardless, but it also looks pretty interesting
Atomic Heart - Soviet Bioshock meets Fallout meets.... DOOM?
The Outer Worlds - The Fallout game we deserved
The Last Night - Past controversy aside, this game looks gorgeous
Cyberpunk 2077 - no explanation needed (this one probably isn't coming out in 2019 though)
Anthem - played the closed alpha, can't give details but it has potential. Will most likely be ruined somehow because it's EA though, but we'll see
Pokemon 2019 - if it's Let's Go with improvements, I'll definitely be checking it out
Metroid Prime 4 - Might not be here next year, but who knows

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Psychonauts 2 - Dreamt of this game for years.
The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG. That's really all that needs to be said.
Wasteland 3 - Liked Wasteland 2 a lot. This seems like it could be the refinement of that isometric Fallout style game.
Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries - I'm a huge Battletech nerd. Played all the games. Owned the boardgame. Read like 10 of the novels. So, yeah, I'm hyped as hell.
Digimon Survive - Don't look at me like that. Seriously. Watch the trailer for yourself.

There are also some games I'm greatly looking forward to that I do not believe will release in 2019 no matter what they're suggest date was. Namely Cyberpunk 2077 and Fire Emblem Three Houses. Can't wait for both but I don't believe either is coming this year.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Anyone ever played this Naruto game? Old one, console: PS1

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
RE:2 is just fucking amazing, runs really well on PC too. Rumors about them giving the same treatment to Nemesis better be true, I need my Jill :nunogasm

Anthem VIP demo was pretty fun when it worked. Pretty unfortunate that Bioware gets the negative press associated with this demo when the game itself has a lot going for it. But when some people literally can't even play the game, I guess it's deserved. Not sure about it's longevity though, as it's still a loot-based shooter with a whatever story. I know we've only gotten the lore in little pieces here or there, but it can't compare at all to the other stories they've told from what I've seen so far.

I'm curious about Ace Combat 7 on PC and also Left Alive. Might not get on release, but I'll definitely be there day 1 for Metro Exodus. Hard to believe it's only a couple weeks away.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ace Combat 7 peaked my interest as well. The only thing holding me back, besides time constraints, is that if I jump into that I want to go all the way in. Get a joystick and everything. Which, considering Mechwarrior is due out this year, might be something I do anyway. Piloting games like that are something I used to love so it would be fun to revisit a few.

The RE:2 remake sounds amazing. I've got a lot of nostalgia for the game too. Definitely going to play through that at some point too.

Anthem on the other hand just has no chance with me right now. It's only shot of selling itself to me would be if the story turned out to be incredible. We have so many of those kinds of games right now. And when I'm watching gameplay and seeing the bullet-spongy looking enemies and what seems alot like a much more refined version of the combat mechanics of ME: Andromeda.. nothing I've seen looks even slightly appealing to me. I'm more hyped for Bioware to get this done and hopefully get back to making real RPGs.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Ace Combat 7 peaked my interest as well. The only thing holding me back, besides time constraints, is that if I jump into that I want to go all the way in. Get a joystick and everything. Which, considering Mechwarrior is due out this year, might be something I do anyway. Piloting games like that are something I used to love so it would be fun to revisit a few.

The RE:2 remake sounds amazing. I've got a lot of nostalgia for the game too. Definitely going to play through that at some point too.

Anthem on the other hand just has no chance with me right now. It's only shot of selling itself to me would be if the story turned out to be incredible. We have so many of those kinds of games right now. And when I'm watching gameplay and seeing the bullet-spongy looking enemies and what seems alot like a much more refined version of the combat mechanics of ME: Andromeda.. nothing I've seen looks even slightly appealing to me. I'm more hyped for Bioware to get this done and hopefully get back to making real RPGs.
Yeah I was looking at the flight-stick option as well. Unsure what to go with on PC though.

I wouldn't put it off if you're afraid of the full price, it's more than a simple remake. If it's a matter of time then ignore me.

Well, I could be speaking too soon obviously, it's not really a fair assessment on my end. But playing through the alpha and now the VIP Demo, you're sort of thrown into the middle of whatever lore there is and I was more interested in seeing how the game performed and "felt" rather than trying to figure out the lore from the little we've gotten. But make no mistake, I'm not sure the appeal of the game is there if you're planning to go fully solo, as playing with friends was way more interesting/fun for me, since the gameplay definitely has a strategic element to it, especially the more difficult stuff.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I was looking at the flight-stick option as well. Unsure what to go with on PC though.
I was looking one of T.Flight Hotas models. They seem to be well liked.

I wouldn't put it off if you're afraid of the full price, it's more than a simple remake. If it's a matter of time then ignore me.
It's a time thing. I'm trying to finish Prey and like half a dozen other games while not really having time for any of them. Then Metro is coming up.. and so many more.

It's great to live in a time with so many great games coming out but it also sucks.:XD

Well, I could be speaking too soon obviously, it's not really a fair assessment on my end. But playing through the alpha and now the VIP Demo, you're sort of thrown into the middle of whatever lore there is and I was more interested in seeing how the game performed and "felt" rather than trying to figure out the lore from the little we've gotten. But make no mistake, I'm not sure the appeal of the game is there if you're planning to go fully solo, as playing with friends was way more interesting/fun for me, since the gameplay definitely has a strategic element to it, especially the more difficult stuff.
It's not really the non-solo aspect. I mean, I play Warframe. I played a ton of Monster Hunter. I played The Division. I played Planetside 2. I've even played The Old Republic for quite a while. So I'm cool with the multiplayer aspect. It's just that I have so many options on that front and I haven't really seen any reason to pick this one.

Like the gameplay looks fine. Little buggy right now but they'll iron that out eventually. The hook seems to be the power armor but functionally it looks like that is mostly just aesthetic to me. In terms of how fights play out it looks a lot like Andromeda, especially the priming and detonating combo system (and also the stupid AI which is worrisome), and that's ok but what's the "thing" that makes Anthem standout from the pack?

At first it was supposed to be huge world but from what I've seen it's pretty zone based. The flying to and from base is mainly just hiding the load screens.
Then it was supposed to be the story but I feel like we have yet to see any interesting story teases or characters being introduced and that's not a good sign. Now that I've seen a couple substantial demos of the combat and I have yet to see anything new or special about what it's doing.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I was looking one of T.Flight Hotas models. They seem to be well liked.
Yeah I saw that one, I'm curious about the price though and how sturdy it really is.

It's a time thing. I'm trying to finish Prey and like half a dozen other games while not really having time for any of them. Then Metro is coming up.. and so many more.

It's great to live in a time with so many great games coming out but it also sucks.:XD
Ah nice, Prey was great. I started the Mooncrash DLC but never got around to beating it. Too bad Typhon Hunter looks half-assed as shit.

It's not really the non-solo aspect. I mean, I play Warframe. I played a ton of Monster Hunter. I played The Division. I played Planetside 2. I've even played The Old Republic for quite a while. So I'm cool with the multiplayer aspect. It's just that I have so many options on that front and I haven't really seen any reason to pick this one.

Like the gameplay looks fine. Little buggy right now but they'll iron that out eventually. The hook seems to be the power armor but functionally it looks like that is mostly just aesthetic to me. In terms of how fights play out it looks a lot like Andromeda, especially the priming and detonating combo system (and also the stupid AI which is worrisome), and that's ok but what's the "thing" that makes Anthem standout from the pack?

At first it was supposed to be huge world but from what I've seen it's pretty zone based. The flying to and from base is mainly just hiding the load screens.
Then it was supposed to be the story but I feel like we have yet to see any interesting story teases or characters being introduced and that's not a good sign. Now that I've seen a couple substantial demos of the combat and I have yet to see anything new or special about what it's doing.
The things that makes it stand out are the visuals, flying, and customization I guess. I get everything your saying though, and that kind of stuff has been on my mind as well. The reason I'll probably be playing it at launch is me already having Origin Access from playing BFV, which I was hesitant to shell out full price for. I think it'll probably be a lot of fun judging by what I've played already, how long that lasts is the main question. If someone has already sunk a lot of hours into games like Warframe/Destiny/MHW/The Division, will the game tick enough boxes to make it a worthwhile experience? Not really sure.

The Priming and Detonating can be done between teammates... :kappa

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodu...c-store-but-steam-preorders-will-be-honoured/

Great move guys. Taking the Tencent/Fortnite blood money for a timed exclusive. Great "competition" ...
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Yeah it's $10 cheaper for me on the Epic Store (it isn't for people outside the US, I think), but I'd rather pay more for this sort of functionality. The Division 2 being an Epic exclusive doesn't even matter because you can just get it on uPlay. This is just a boneheaded move by Deep Silver IMO.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Metro is a pretty good series - but not one I care about enough to want to buy.
I have enough good FPS games, which I've yet to play through, to care about yet another one (and FPS games are my jam).

Dunno what I'll do when they 'steal' (really, is this the right word?!? It just feels wrong to call it this) a game that I actually do care about. But at the moment, even with all the differences in price/list you posted above xi0, the thing that holds me back most is my lack of trust in Epic.

I don't want to give my details to any other company, especially not when it's pretty obvious that their servers are going to be hacked and people's details taken.

Now, the cards and names might well be encrypted (in fact, I fucking hope they are), but still, it's not a risk I want to take.
Spreading your details liberally across 1000 different store fronts just seems like you are asking for something bad to happen...

... and I did so want that free copy of Subnautica
:invalid

Reactions: xi0

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
The security issue isn't an angle I had thought about, another good point.

To think that there are people in the industry that are such shills that they're actually excusing this behavior and labeling the reactions as "toxic" or "entitled"... :shootme .

There's nothing wrong with marketplace competition, but arriving at anything close to parity on the back of exclusives is not pro-consumer. It's inconvenient when companies like EA or Bethesda decide not to do business with Valve with their games, but it's their product and they don't want the vendor taking a cut. Fair enough. But throwing money at publishers in order to make your platform seem worthwhile, holy shit that pisses me off. Thank god I dislike Fortnite (maybe detest now? since it's success no doubt led to this venture), as I have no problem never giving another cent to Epic.

I feel bad for the people at 4A Games though, seems like they don't really have any say in it. Also seems like something like this can only hurt sales potential on PC as well. Shame.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Oh yeah, exclusivity is rarely (if ever) a good thing for the consumer.

Exclusivity, although not a new practice, probably ranks up high (not as high as loot boxes, or having to buy individual characters in beat-em-up games [SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE FUCK'S UP WITH THAT?!?]) in my list of practices I really, really, hate in gaming.

I mean, I'm not going to avoid buying a game [that otherwise I would buy], like I will with loot boxes, but I'm certainly not going to go out of my way to get one, that practices this kind of nonsense.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Making both versions of the game $10 cheaper also seems like a pretty cynical move on their part because they had to know this wouldn't be well-received. I believe they were even teetering on illegality at least in the UK if they weren't going to honor existing preorders.