Hangout The Games Hangout Thread

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a great time with on PS4 and I'm going pick it up on PC.

Storywise it's one of my favorites. I don't think it's as perfect as some others seemed to think but what it does is really impressive and worthwhile. So to play it with mouse and keyboard and all the other PC advantages. Yeah, definitely. It's got a legitimately powerful story. And I honestly don't think you need to know anything about the previous game to enjoy it. My only knock on it is that there is some stuff in there that I think could have and should have been edited. It's like a terrific movie that's about a half hour too long.

I'd say it's easily say it's the best new cowboy movie type experience in quite a while.

Red Dead Online however is a whole other conversation. It's finally in a state now where it's somewhat enjoyable but it launched as something where they were clearly working so hard on the live service elements that they forgot to work on the fun.

Hakuteiken

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
@Hakuteiken is, but I didn't take the plunge. I'm interested, just not sure how much I am at full price/not on Steam. I never played the first one, so I have no real attachment to it. I also heard mixed things about the gameplay itself, and a lot of negative things about the online multiplayer too. Thankfully I'm not too spoiled or at least don't remember, so might check it out eventually. You?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Seems like there's some huge performance and bug issues too, with the game not even launching for many people. Another broken PC port, yay...
I haven't run into a performance issue yet, but I'm like 1h into the game, so, too early to say anything. No launch issues, either.
Must be the first time ever that other people are having trouble booting up a game and I don't :shootme

Red Dead Online however is a whole other conversation. It's finally in a state now where it's somewhat enjoyable but it launched as something where they were clearly working so hard on the live service elements that they forgot to work on the fun.
Like almost any other live service game at release, then. That doesn't surprise me at all.
Not that's it's a good thing to turn into a norm, but yeah.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Like almost any other live service game at release, then. That doesn't surprise me at all.
Not that's it's a good thing to turn into a norm, but yeah.
I honestly say it was even a bit worse at launch. There was almost nothing to do. Kinda like how GTA online was but even worse.

The roles they introduced a few months ago was the first time you could actually do anything in the game. With the bounty hunting, trading, and treasure hunting. You can actually do some fun things now and earn role related rewards that are kind of neat. It really seems to me like the original vision was less of a sandbox and more of an MMO. Problem was they forgot the whole "activities" part at first.

At the point it's at now it's pretty fun. They still need to do more though. The only consistently great thing is their one legendary bounty hunter mission each week. Those are a blast. Beyond that though, once you level the roles up which doesn't takes about 2-3 weeks of normal play and you're pretty much done.

Knightmare of heaven 0

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Well, I don't know if I should buy RDR2 on PC given that it has issues right now and especially when I already have it on the PS4, which I stopped playing because I remembered how much I hate playing shooters on consoles and spend that money on the new pokemon game for that good old handheld pokemon experience, which I can already experience through the Let's Go game which is just sitting there along with the handheld switch. I stopped playing Let's Go after 5 hours or so and also did not complete the God of War and Spiderman games along with a few others. At this point, I think I'm just hoarding. Maybe I should just complete the games which I already bought but I don't want to play them :emocat

avensis

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Algeria
I will not buy RDR2 on PC because I already have it on ps4 and I did not like it too

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I played a of the RDR2 PC release this morning and it's not done cooking for sure. This will be a great game to play in like a couple weeks or even a month.

They definitely screwed up the optimization in some slightly odd ways. The main thing when I was playing was the stuttering. Especially during cut scenes. I'm not sure what's causing it exactly but something is going wrong under the hood for sure.

The other interesting thing I've experienced playing with it is that the graphical settings are quite strange. Especially in terms of what hits performance and what doesn't. Like some options that you'd think would effect performance don't at all. And other crush it to the point that I sort of suspect they're fundamentally broken. It's almost like somebody optimized like a quarter of the game and then quit.

Though on the positive side the game feels great with mouse and keyboard.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Though on the positive side the game feels great with mouse and keyboard.
Really? One of the main complaints I saw referred to the controls and movement being off.

I think it's sort of pathetic that a port that comes out over a year after the original game is this fucked. I'm not even sure what Rockstar is working on that would prevent them from doing the game justice. I mean sure, throngs of people probably preordered anyways, but man...

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Really? One of the main complaints I saw referred to the controls and movement being off.

I think it's sort of pathetic that a port that comes out over a year after the original game is this fucked. I'm not even sure what Rockstar is working on that would prevent them from doing the game justice. I mean sure, throngs of people probably preordered anyways, but man...
I suspect that has more to do with the default control options than anything else. Like for example by default the horse movement is set to follow the camera. Which is dumb. But if you switch it to followed the movement keys, so you can rotate the camera freely without moving the horse it's great. But with a glance into the control menu it takes like a minute to get everything feeling good.

It's pretty sad there are this many issues. No doubt about it.

Knightmare of heaven 0

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I bought the game and I got to play a slideshow for the most part as well. I tried the process lasso temporary fix which worked well in the beginning but doesn't work as well as it did when playing in towns. Pretty sure tons of people would've still bought it even if they released the game at a later month and took their time solely cause it's a Red Dead Redemption game. The game does look pretty though and seems fun too.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought the game and I got to play a slideshow for the most part as well. I tried the process lasso temporary fix which worked well in the beginning but doesn't work as well as it did when playing in towns. Pretty sure tons of people would've still bought it even if they released the game at a later month and took their time solely cause it's a Red Dead Redemption game. The game does look pretty though and seems fun too.
That particular issue is linked the i5 processor, and similar CPU's with 8 threads apparently. Basically the engine is periodically choking out your CPU just like it is mine. Which I guess happened in GTA too but they were too lazy to actually fix it. So hopefully this time they actually do something.

Because this issue and it's cause are well known at this point.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

They need to take a good long look at how the threading works in the RAGE engine. Because obviously things are going wrong there. Especially with i5 CPUs.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Amazingly, Rockstar is actually fixing things this this time. They fixed a bunch of stuff in the patch today.

And has supposedly nailed down the stuttering issue and are working on permanent fix to it, while in the meantime making a temporary workaround. Which I can confirm that, at least on my setup, works. Or at least allowed me to make it through a benchmark run with no stuttering.