Books - The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? ) | Page 29 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Books The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Yeah that book is great!! I loved that classic. ^^

Speaking of classics, can i ask for any reviews from you guys on Uncle Tom's Cabin and Wuthering heights? I'm in the mood for classics right now and these two are in the library. But I'm doubting if they're good...

DemonDays

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
England
I originally read Wuthering Heights thinking if Kate Bush can write a song about it, then it must be good, and i wasn't let down.
It was a bit longer than i expected it to be, the storylines slightly dragged out as well, but when i finished it i just remember thinking 'wow'. Its one of those books that leaves you with a strange feeling....

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Wuthering Heights - classic, must to read :p
I also recommend Tess of the D'urbevilles, Heart of Darkness, 1984, Sons and lovers, Pride and predujice, a portrait of the artist as a yound man all classics, must to read :p

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I love pride and prejudice! Anyone who hasn't read this, please do. Especially if you like romantic comedies.

DemonDays

Reaction score
Country
England
Thanks for the heads up, it'll be the next book i read!

weixiaobao

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
finishing up tale of the otori 3rd book - Brilliance of the moon

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States
On Wuthering Heights: READ IT. The dynamics between Catherine and Heathcliff are amazing. I love that novel more than almost any other classic I've ever read.

Baron Hugenstein

Reaction score
Country
Canada
One book i liked a lot, well it is a trilogy so three books
but the story is great.
the story's name is "The Tears of Artamon"
it is basically a fantasy book with some politics, diplomacy, and tactics in it.

nat

Reaction score
Country
Bermuda
Wuthering Heights, it is my favourite out of all classics. I don't know why I must have read an infinity of times.

Also Ivanhoe was one of my beloved books (That I lost, :darn)

SOL_the egomorphic

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
The other day I was walking through the university to hand in a paper, and I saw a bunch of books there that were being given away because they were too crap for the university to keep. (in terms of condition, not content) A couple of them were just names I had heard of but didn't really recognise (I grabbed these anyway) and a couple were Jane Austen (They're still in my locker so I can't tell you which ones, but I didn't grab Pride & Prejudice since I already have it - great book, but I worry at the mindset of a society that could turn people into such nonentities) but there was a book of William Blake's writings!!
*the SOL high-fives itself*
I got out a book of Blake's writings from the library a while ago, and had to sift through them to find any actual writing, since (for some reason) it wasn't actually a book of his writings, it was a book of every single draft, altered copy, discarded line and concept he had ever put on paper. Ever. This book was enormous. (Penguin classics edition - the black one with the white horizontal line through it) It was so big, it was impossible to read. I was lucky to find enough in it to constitute an actual writing.
But then I found this, so. . . cool. . .

Also, reading Bleak House by Dickens. . . about 1/20th of the way through it - some of Dickens' books are enormous. . .

Last edited:

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States
i agree with all those who're endorsing pride and prejudice. there's a reason it's a classic ;)

i'm currently reading when you are engulfed in flames by david sedaris. it's great so far, as are all of his other books. i am looking forward to the chapter where he talks about moving to japan in order to quit smoking. he talked a bit about it when he was plugging his book on the daily show and it sounds great ^^

for those unfamiliar with his work, he writes creative nonfiction. he basically just tells stories from his own life, but they are wonderfully written and very funny. he even somehow manages to inject humor into situations that might otherwise seem quite dark. very, very good :amuse

Paper

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Reading Fables atm, really good stuff even if you were'nt into fables/ fairytales as a child! :D

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've been reading The Dream Merchant by Isabel Hoving, a fantasy novel, but damn good. It's hard to explain the basic plot, but try searching it up on Wikipedia, I think there's a page for it there. I'd recommend it especially for those who love a good fantasy novel. :amuse

mitokomon

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Well I'm currently reading two books; The Turn of The Screw and other short stories by Henry James and Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. If u ask me, which is better, than definitely twilight O__O and if u like vampire stories too, than... I won't say much, but it's just so good that it keeps u awake at night ^__^ But since I got a lot of stuff to do, I kinda read it in slow-motion with flashbacks and so -__-' Or else I would have finished all four and half books in two days ^^

Last edited:

admirenkiwi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
im currently reading "Twilight"
about a teenage girl and vampires. a really thick book...

Assymilum

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
im currently reading "Twilight"
about a teenage girl and vampires. a really thick book...
Yay! I'm currently reading that, too! :amuse Besides Twilight, I'm also reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, a story by Khaled Hosseini (the one who wrote The Kite Runner) about two girls (a girl and a woman, actually) who were very troubled by their pasts, but managed to work it out with one another. It's a very touching story...

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I was reading this book "The unbearable lightness of being". Very interesting book, however I was not able to finish it. :s

Jpaul

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
The last book I read was "The Artic Deception" by Dan Brown
I just love all of his books and waiting for the next one to hopefully come out soon.

yoniekai

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
The last book I read was "The Artic Deception" by Dan Brown
I just love all of his books and waiting for the next one to hopefully come out soon.
eh? isn't that supposed to be deception point? anyway i got bored reading that, dan brown gets kinda boring after a while... all his books have the same pattern.... my fave from him would still be the epic novel that is angels and demons

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
agreed. One book of dan brown is exhilirating. when you start the next book you realize you're being duped. :notrust