Archived The Hang Out Thread v.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I guess that means we're geeks :XD

(Though I admit, I did have to check my instincts on google)
That depends on what's the definition of a geek (because it varies a lot)

but do I look like it? Nah I wouldn't say that of course :D
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I'm a geek, and I'm proud of it. :oh

Besides, I feel that one isn't a geek if he/she denies it. A geek loves to be a geek. :P
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I'm a geek, and I'm proud of it. :oh

Besides, I feel that one isn't a geek if he/she denies it. A geek loves to be a geek. :P
A geek = the same as a nerd?

I heard so many times the word but is it the same as a nerd or is it something different? Can anyone help?
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I have a suggestion. Why don't you join Survivor :XD
I was thinking the same.

Miyi, do it! You would kick butt, I'm sure.

A geek = the same as a nerd?

I heard so many times the word but is it the same as a nerd or is it something different? Can anyone help?
Hmm, I think nerd can be used as slightly more derogative than geek in America. As in, nerd = guy with no social grace, puny, etc. (Classic example - Screech from Saved by the Bell, and his friends are even more stereotypical.) Geek isn't used in the same sense so much, I think - heck, everybody's a geek in their own way, if they have any big interests. Dunno about anywhere else. But some people use them equally I'm sure.

I do prefer geek over nerd though. Unless I'm being called a computer nerd, which is I think OK - I'm definitely not one though :XD
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I pretty much understand it that way too, GK.

geek (not equal to) nerd.

for me geeks may not be bookish or socially reclusive, as opposed to the general opinion on nerds. And you can be a geek about anything: cars, a certain sport, architecture, etc. That's why in a sense, geeks are proud to be geeks because they're "addicted" to something and try to know much more about it.

That's just my understanding of the word though. Correct me if it doesn't sound right.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Well call me a geek then

geek interests: sci-fi and/or fantasy movies/series but I am certainly not a computer nerd or geek whatever you call it

but nice explanation Gk
 

rabb

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
1,572
Reaction score
26
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm a geek, and I'm proud of it. :oh

Besides, I feel that one isn't a geek if he/she denies it. A geek loves to be a geek. :P
damn straight XD geeks fuckin rock! :headbang
A geek = the same as a nerd?

I heard so many times the word but is it the same as a nerd or is it something different? Can anyone help?
Hmm, I think nerd can be used as slightly more derogative than geek in America. As in, nerd = guy with no social grace, puny, etc. (Classic example - Screech from Saved by the Bell, and his friends are even more stereotypical.) Geek isn't used in the same sense so much, I think - heck, everybody's a geek in their own way, if they have any big interests. Dunno about anywhere else. But some people use them equally I'm sure.

I do prefer geek over nerd though. Unless I'm being called a computer nerd, which is I think OK - I'm definitely not one though :XD
I pretty much understand it that way too, GK.

geek (not equal to) nerd.

for me geeks may not be bookish or socially reclusive, as opposed to the general opinion on nerds. And you can be a geek about anything: cars, a certain sport, architecture, etc. That's why in a sense, geeks are proud to be geeks because they're "addicted" to something and try to know much more about it.

That's just my understanding of the word though. Correct me if it doesn't sound right.
its geek > nerd :p but other than that you mostly got it right. but no one mentioned that geeks have friends and senses of humor that normal people understand, and stuff like that. geeks can pass as normal. we just choose not to.

and i feel that it is worth mentioning that in some places the definitions are switched. stephynee-chan's school does it back wards like that. where nerds are cool and geeks are the Screeches
 

iThePirate

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
3,226
Reaction score
60
Gender
Male
Country
British Antarctic Territory
NIRVANA FTW!! LETS GET DRUNK N' SING THROUGH THE NIGHT!!

so, my headchef called me this morning n woke me up (my day off) and it was like usual
"Yeah you gotta come in, I have to go, so be here in 2 hours, see ya."

Damn, ive gots to start turning my phone off on my days off..
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
pirate is getting drunk all over MH again. -_-
 

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Im a geek, shyt im like the general of the geek squad! Just kidding im not that much of a geek. Im really smart and I guess im an otaku so does that mean im a nerd? I dont know, I have alot of other interests that dont involve geeky things.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Im a geek, shyt im like the general of the geek squad! Just kidding im not that much of a geek. Im really smart and I guess im an otaku so does that mean im a nerd? I dont know, I have alot of other interests that dont involve geeky things.
okay I do a lot of things too that don't involve geeky things (going out, sports - active and passive -, student job, etc) but there's always a tiny piece of geek part in everyone

compare it like its said that every man has his female side in him (which the opposite gender always like)
 

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
i find it funny that people here rather be geeks than nerds. at my university, it's better to be a nerd than a geek (heck, people even call themselves nerds proudly). geeks are people who don't have social skills, annoying, and like... well anime lol nerds are people who are smart and use it to do well in class. they're easier to talk to since they can help with homework and are social coherent. geeks usually talk about the same old things which can get boring after a while.
 

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ohhhhhh, ok then im a nerd. Im not socialy withdrawn or anything like that and I dont talk about anime with any of my friends that dont watch it or read manga.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
i find it funny that people here rather be geeks than nerds. at my university, it's better to be a nerd than a geek (heck, people even call themselves nerds proudly). geeks are people who don't have social skills, annoying, and like... well anime lol nerds are people who are smart and use it to do well in class. they're easier to talk to since they can help with homework and are social coherent. geeks usually talk about the same old things which can get boring after a while.
you know what, I am none of them. I am as social as I can be, I prefer active life with friends above a pc or anyhting else. So I am a normal guy though anime/manga is an unusual preference (since we have an own decent though different comic culture)
 

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
you know what, I am none of them. I am as social as I can be, I prefer active life with friends above a pc or anyhting else. So I am a normal guy though anime/manga is an unusual preference (since we have an own decent though different comic culture)
Yeah, i hate being lazy. I might be a procrastinator when it comes to schoolwork, but i have no problem with getting out of my house or off the computer. If my knee wasn't messed up, I would still be playing basketball. I might start jujitsu soon cuz one of my friends from back in the day is trying to go pro now and he said he will help train me.
I still love anime and manga, definitly a hobby I would never give up just because someone says that im a nerd.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I might be a procrastinator when it comes to schoolwork
I totally agree with you but this line isn't the only thing I couldn't understand

what's a procrastinator?
 

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
procrastinate - To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness
So basically I was saying that i can be lazy when it comes to doing schoolwork and I sometimes wait till the last minute.
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Procrastinators are people who are posting on MH when they should be finishing a paper that was due today :shifty
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
i find it funny that people here rather be geeks than nerds. at my university, it's better to be a nerd than a geek (heck, people even call themselves nerds proudly). geeks are people who don't have social skills, annoying, and like... well anime lol nerds are people who are smart and use it to do well in class. they're easier to talk to since they can help with homework and are social coherent. geeks usually talk about the same old things which can get boring after a while.
Yeah, I guess it depends on where you live. Confusing stuff :s :p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top