The itsumobasho Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The itsumobasho Thread

itsumobasho

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Hi!

I usually just translate my stuff and then go to sleep, but seeing as I'm going to try to translate on a more frequent basis (and on more series) I suppose this would be a good time to start my own thread and become part of the community... although I don't know who exactly is going to ask me questions or be interested in me personally. ^^;;;

About me
Handles: itsumobasho, Reno, SaintOfKillers
Name: Andrew
Date Of Birth: November 10, 1980
Nationality: Canadian
Currently living in: Nishinomiya, Hyogo prefecture
Languages spoken: English(Native), Japanese (Intermediate)
Likes: Okonomiyaki, Konami Sports Club, Maki Horikita, Kawamura Yukie

Japanese Studies
Came to Japan in 2004 to work at Nova (English teacher). At the time I had no formal Japanese training. I couldn't even tell you the difference between "konnichiwa" and "ohayo". I worked my butt off for two years, studying anything and everything I could, and eventually I got hired by a Japanese company, despite my lack of knowledge and fluency. Even with the crazy hours, I still try to find time to study. I'm nowhere near fluent but the difference from when I first came here to now is pretty staggering.

I made an attempt at JPLT 3-kyuu after a year of serious study and I failed, with a 50%. I took a mock test for JPLT2 last November, to see if I could actually pass the real test, and I got a 52%. So I didn't take it. I may take the 2-kyuu this year, but I really want a certification that'll mean something, so I may pass it up this year again and take 1-kyuu next year.

For those who haven't done the math yet, I've been in Japan for almost 3 years (June 24, 2007 will be my 3rd anniversary!) and I think I've progressed far. For those who want to seriously get their Japanese skills up to speed, nothing will help that more than coming to Japan, and nothing will destroy it more than working for a Japanese company where you have no time to study. ^^;;

Manga read in Japanese:
Naruto
Overdrive
Reborn!
Major
Yotsuba To!
Japan
Bleach

Currently translating:
Naruto

Considering translating:
Major
Yotsuba To! (easy enough to do quickly, but is it worth it? If you want it, let me know! I have volumes 1 - 5 ready to go)
Reborn!

Other Info
I can read/write Korean, although I can't speak a lick of it. What a mind trip, eh? Someone could throw out some random Korean text in front of me and I'd be able to read it, but I would have no idea what any of it means. ^^;

I play Soulcalibur, Virtua Fighter and Tekken competitively. You can see all of my match videos here: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=itsumobasho

I was a former editor for IGN.com while I was in Canada and after I moved to Japan. That was one of the main reasons I moved to Japan instead of say, Korea.

Last edited:

Setris

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking forward to seeing your future translation works; you've done a really nice job with the weekly Naruto issues.

...And if you don't mind, a pointless question: can you speak Japanese with an Osakan accent (as well as standard)?

itsumobasho

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Yup, I can speak using 大阪弁, but I rarely do it. I think it sounds silly (er, a foreigner using any odd dialect in Japanese) but I do know quite a lot about Osakan dialect. When I'm writing on mixi I'll sometimes throw in the odd Osakan word but that's about as far as I go.

rikki

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Maki Horikita? I'm guessing you have watched Nobuta wo Produce and Kurosagi.

Good luck with your future translations :)

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Yes Yotsuba To! is definitely worth translating. Yotsuba and Jumbo is very funny. I still laugh everytime i read the chapter where Jumbo introduced himself to the Ayase family. Gaaaaaaaaaooooooooooooo!!! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

On to some question:
- Do you like sport?
- What's your favourite food and beverage (is it that tall glass of beer? :XD)

Oh, and i love Maki Horikita in Hinokio and Seito Shokun! (mostly because i read the manga, too bad the dorama was based on the sequel. i'd love to see the Okita-Nakki-Iwasaki interaction on dorama) :D

Last edited:

itsumobasho

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
rikki: Actually I've never seen either show. ^^; I first saw this vision of beauty when I started watching Densha Otoko, and I've seen her on a lot of variety shows. I saw her on Teppan Shoujo Akane after that. I heard she's really serious about a lot of things in life, and she's rather smart. I guess that's why I like her so much. ^^

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic: Oh really? Has anyone actually translated Yotsuba To before? I assumed that someone already did it, but I guess if it's still ongoing I might try and do it!

As for your questions, yes, I love sports! I actually play more sports than anyone I know, and I watch a ton of sports too. I'm into hockey, football, baseball, tennis and wrestling. I also love to watch MMA stuff! In Japan I usually go skating or play volleyball. I'll sometimes play soccer but I'm terrible at it. :X

Favorite food of all time would probably be Bulgogi, Korean-style yakiniku! I also like me some kimchi too. :D Favorite drink... hmmm... beer is good, but I actually prefer the taste of apple juice above anything else. I drink that stuff literally every morning (I'm actually drinking some now!)

woody_green

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I think I read somewhere that you're part Filipino. Can you understand Tagalog?

Nihongaeri

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kita or Minami?

itsumobasho

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
woody_green: I only know some swear words :) I can't speak any Tagalog because my father never taught me :(

Nihongeari: Kita forever!

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Itsumobasho! :D

How come you haven't posted anymore funny pics at the members picture thread? :D

Oh, and how are you?

itsumobasho

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
ah I've been super super busy during the past couple of months. I've almost entirely stopped translating because I've been way too busy to do anything. :( The last translation I did was for Crayola for Beach Stars.... I got like 5 issues of Beach Stars at home waiting to be translated but no time to do it. :( If you wanna see my updated pics you can always go to my flickr page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew_alfonso) :D

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello =D I notice you mentioned possibly translating Yotsuba To? One of the mods here (Dragonzair) likes that series XD Her current sig/avi set is from it =)

Do you like coffee? If so, do you have a particular favorite kind?

Do you like sports/working out?

Are you an organized person? Messy? Thoughtful?

itsumobasho

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
I want to translate Yotsuba but I know it's already licensed in America so it kind of tells me I shouldn't, but I hear that the US versions are only up to volume 5 or something. We just got volume 7 about a month ago or so, IIRC.

I don't like coffee, but I drink it when I'm really tired! I like my double-double. It's a Canadian thing. ;)

I actually work out nearly every day, which is one of the reasons why I'm almost never translating anymore. I have to work until 7 or 8pm on most nights, and then when I get home it's already 9pm... I then head to the gym for about two hours or so and sleep. Same thing on weekends except I usually go out and play baseball with some of my coworkers. There's almost no time to do anything except work... but that's okay since video games is my work :)

I'm sometimes messy, sometimes organized. Always kind and thoughtful, although my cold exterior rarely shows it to strangers. :)