Discussion The Japanese Study Thread

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Japanese Language

i'm confused with the grammar bit..
"nattenda" is "becoming" and the "se" bit is just an emphasize on the sentence, is that right?

thanks for the help btw.. :D
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: The Japanese Language

karasu said:
i'm confused with the grammar bit..
"nattenda" is "becoming" and the "se" bit is just an emphasize on the sentence, is that right?

thanks for the help btw.. :D
er the ze ;) but yep :)
 

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Japanese Language

yup... ze, that's what i mean :D thanks! :p[br]Posted on: July 08, 2006, 09:00:37 PM_________________________________________________one more question if i may..
a song title..
Vidoll - 我輩ハ殺女成リ (wagahai wa, korosuke nari…)
i can't find the meaning of korosuke.. but it's written with the kanji "kill" and "female"
so does that mean Lady-killer?

wagahai wa, korosuke nari : I, who become the lady-killer... :darn

(i'm not sure about the wagahai bit too... the dictionary said "I, me, myself" is that right?)
 

luca6066

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Re: The Japanese Language

karasu said:
Vidoll - 我輩ハ殺女成リ (wagahai wa, korosuke nari…)
i can't find the meaning of korosuke.. but it's written with the kanji "kill" and "female"
so does that mean Lady-killer?
oj,
What a funny way to read that compound word(obviously the poet coined), not usual at all, but it can be read Korosuke if the writer insists,
女 is almost all the time read, either, onna, or, me. (おんな、め)
You can't find "スケ” as one of the readings for 女 in any dictionaries, but
”スケ” (in katakana) is often used to refer to woman quite rudely, so "suke"="bitch" (as in スケバン/スケ=teenage girl brat= 不良少女)
So here, 殺女 means "woman assassin"
also ”我輩ハ・・・・・ナリ”(=I am.......) is the type of speech famous as the one "korosuke(コロ助)”uses. He is a robot character from "kiteretsu daihyakka"(キテレツ大百科 http://www.5-ace.co.jp/kiteretsu/index.htm animated and on the air from 1988~1995)
我輩 is like, "yours truly" Sounds pretty archaic and self-important.
Whose song is that? :tem
Refering to the pretty korosuke, using that kind of kanjis for that cute コロ助("コロ"= "round and tiny" also punned on ”コロッケ”(Coroqutte) which is コロ助's favorite food←Isn't he a robot?! Forever be a mystery, His self-introduction must go : "我輩はコロ助なり~~!(I am Korosuke!) )
what a fuuny play on words・・・・
 

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Japanese Language

lol..thanks for the explanation :D
so basically..there can be more ways to translate this wordplay to english?
like "I am Korosuke!" or "I am a female/woman/lady assassin" (assuming that the reader doesn't know about korosuke) ?

EDIT: also... wagahai is a more archaic form of "I" right, anybody can think of an english word that suits the meaning better than "I" ? or just "I" is enough? "Yours truly is Korosuke" ? :eyeroll

it's a song by ヴィドール (Vidoll)
really nice song too..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pUtssLF0NW4&search=wagahai

especially in that video since one of the guitarist was leaving, so the mood was kinda sad in there..
 

luca6066

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Re: The Japanese Language

So "我輩は殺女なり”(wagahai wa korosuke nari ) either means "Yours truly is a female assassin' I am a woman and kill people)/women killer."
And Obviously it is based on コロ助(Korosuke, the robot)'s famous speech "我輩はコロ助なり”(Wagahai wa korosuke nari)

殺女 is ambiguous, either woman killer or the killer is female, but this word is quite unique and unacceptable in everyday conversation.writing,speech. ( I asked today this about 3 friends and agreed on that. hehe they are still "Kiteretsu" generation!!)

Wooo I agree with ya, thanks for the link, It's a good song,
I guess I gotta check out the lyrics now. ( couldnt make out the first part and bits)
 

luca6066

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Re: The Japanese Language

Takk! Cool group
Ohhh, this lyrics, at first sight, doesn't seem to have anything to do with コロ助(korosuke) from Kiteretsu Daihyakka...
but! He(コロ助)has got his own, famous, sweet song known as "ハジメテのチュウ”( My first kiss) so I'd like to conclude here
the woman killer(殺女:コロスケ) 's passed the "smooch stage" when he was the round and cute コロ助(korosuke)・・・・and now he's woman killer ( あれ?でも女のコっぽいぞ・・・・?the speaker sounds like female...anyway)
Ohh, they went to "Disney Sea".....ohh LOL
For some reason I've been obsessed with コロ助 and I'd like to say it's not a rip-off of Doraemon, rather, the same author..(I think) Korosuke'S my fav character..
 

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Japanese Language

Kiteretsu is from Fujiko F Fujio production too right?
i haven't got a chance to watch them..i watched one episode..
it appears this time the trouble maker is not the nobita look-a-like (dunno his name :p )..rather..korosuke..right?
 

luca6066

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Re: The Japanese Language

I think.. , that's the one and only big difference between the two.
Add Parman(?) パーマン to em and that'll make a F-F-F triangle.
Kiteretsu the Nobita-look-a-like happens to be the whizkid.
Kiteretsu Daihyakka seems to be retroactive, lots to do with Edo era? while Doraemon insists that he is from the 21st 22th century *retconned )
Korosuke is much more lovable than Doraemon to me, damn 12-year-old girl in this English school don't know much about Butagorira( "pig gorilla") the Jaian-look-alike.
I hope Hope the band will make more kiteretsu-inspired song. ...It must be fun to make fun of those animes, for japanese people,
I smell lawsuit, nyai =>
well I just saw 20 episodes or so? and some manga and satisfied that'd be enough to understand what some people sre talkin about
 

Piyo_chan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 4, 2006
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Japanese Learning Resources

If you have the money to buy them, then the adventures in japanese (I know, corny name xD) textbooks are really good... That's what my teacher uses in my class. There are other good books out there, but this series is really nice and easy to read =D As for hiragana and katakana, I mainly learned them through finding a chart, making flashcards, and just reading manga over and over again. They're not that hard, once you get over the first couple =D
 

user23801

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Re: Japanese Learning Resources

thx a lot for while i wanted studying this
 

Rail Driver

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Japanese Learning Resources

Well I have no idea but perhaps this could be of some use? I seen on TV they say Rosetta Stone is the best program to use for any language. I myself am going to take Japanese as well this semester at college, and I am using the demo version of Rosetta Stone to learn it a little easily. Here is the URL to the site and you can select any language to download free.

http://www.rosettastone.com/en/?a=b
 

DeCarlo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Re: Japanese Learning Resources

I have a question!! o.o and I have no idea to put it. Anywayyyy I'm applying for different colleges in Japan from the US but it is EXTREMELY confusing know what universities to apply to. An example would be in the states you know the big names ala Harvard, YALE, BROWN, NYU etc etc but no idea about japan. o.o some colleges are asking for $250 application fees...I just need some help one whats a nice cheap one to go to for asian studies or japanese language?
 

runpsicat

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 3, 2007
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
"Japlish" Words

I didn't want to join this cool forum just to post a recruit/request message, so in the hopes of giving back some... (and if everyone already knows the below, it's the thought that counts, right? ^_^;;)

It is becoming increasingly common in Japan to deal with the influx of new words (particularly in the IT field) by just taking the foreign word and incorporating its phoneticized version into the Japanese language. Most of them (like コンピューター) are pretty straightforward, so we can just put our brains on hold and transliterate the words back into English. But sometimes, the way the word is used enters the Twilight Zone and confuses English speakers because a simple transliteration may result in a confusing or even incorrect translation. I've had several translators ask me about these words before, so I thought it might be helpful to list some of the more common twilight-zone 外来語. They're usually verbs:

アピール
Parent word: appeal
What it means in Japanese: to emphasize or to promote (though it can actually mean "appeal" in select cases, it's rarely used as such)

スカウト
Parent word: (recruit) scout
What it means in Japanese: to recruit, to headhunt

フォロー
Parent word: follow (up on)
What it means in Japanese: to cover for, to ameliorate, to smooth over

メリット・デメリット
Parent words: merit/demerit
What it means in Japanese: pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: "Japlish" Words

haha I never even gave these second thought as if they'd be confusing to the reader, but thanks for the time spent writing it^^;
 

skywalker6705

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
222
Reaction score
45
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: "Japlish" Words

Thanks alot. I'll come here and contribute any of these that crop up in that future. It's immensely helpful to me as I am a non-native non-fluent speaker.
 

Tassen

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
Re: Japanese Learning Resources

Dont know if this is the right plase to ask this but, i was wondering if any one knew some plase i coud download Japanese leasons to my mp3 player, i work 12hours days and listen to the radio for the most parts so why not learn some Japanese while i work.
What im loking for is English - Japanest leasons so that i migth under stand som of the things that is said in my anime.
(Sorry about the bad grammar im from Norway.)
 

acq128

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 18, 2005
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Japanese Learning Resources

DeCarlo, are u still applying for dif universities?

even thought this reply is a good 4months late XD
 
Top