The Last Person to Post Wins - Chimera | Page 46 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Last Person to Post Wins - Chimera

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
No it's probably still a shitty adaptation else everyone wouldn't be so upset about them, but you missed the point of that part. Which was that it doesn't completely give the wrong idea about the plot.
Well from the beginning Vandred and myself brought up the anime missing most of the nuance of the characters and such. So yeah, they mostly keep the biggest parts of the plot... when they're not completely removing scenes, really poignant and important character interactions, or entire arcs, like Lost Children. I suppose that they leave that out due to mature content reasons, but idk. It could at least be an OVA or something.

You talking about FMA here? Maybe there is some nostalgia, but when I watched Brotherhood when it came out later I just didn't like it very much. The story was overall weaker than in 2003 for me, as well as several characters and how their story concluded. But Brotherhood does have the better ending.
Yeah FMA. Well I'm still asking whether you read the manga or not here. :heh

How come the huge fan backlash never reaches the creators/people in charge of the animes? Or do they not care.
It might prevent it from having further seasons, idk. I think it's mostly because the series has been such a fixture in manga for so many years that it still makes money.

GrySun

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Well from the beginning Vandred and myself brought up the anime missing most of the nuance of the characters and such. So yeah, they mostly keep the biggest parts of the plot... when they're not completely removing scenes, really poignant and important character interactions, or entire arcs, like Lost Children. I suppose that they leave that out due to mature content reasons, but idk. It could at least be an OVA or something.
Yeah I can see from the movies that the cast is quite weak and almost no time is spent on anyone. But then again there's not much time for that in 3 movies, with how big the arc seems to be.

Yeah FMA. Well I'm still asking whether you read the manga or not here. :heh
No I haven't. Isn't Brotherhood considered a great adapatation for it? Doubt I missed anything by watching, though maybe the anime rushed a few parts as well?

Elusia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
No I haven't. Isn't Brotherhood considered a great adapatation for it? Doubt I missed anything by watching, though maybe the anime rushed a few parts as well?
For the most part, yes, FMA:B is a great adaptation. Granted, the pacing was off from the first 12-ish episodes but that's because they expected people watching the older version. From there on, it adapts the manga well.

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
For the most part, yes, FMA:B is a great adaptation. Granted, the pacing was off from the first 12-ish episodes but that's because they expected people watching the older version. From there on, it adapts the manga well.
Ah I remember. I rewatched 2003 several times in the past so I didn't mind them going fast to the new/different parts.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Am thinking of printing my art comp entry as a small book - does anyone know of any good sites to upload images and make hardcover books?

Like 7 or 8 pages

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Hmm... no, tbh. When I've used similar services, they charge to produce the book after you provide the images.
Also there's a place nearby that would print my reports and add the hardcover, so maybe it's easier to go to a place like that?

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah any photoshop could...our local Walgreens photo shop prints tshirts,albums,towels,blankets,etc etc

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Am thinking of printing my art comp entry as a small book - does anyone know of any good sites to upload images and make hardcover books?

Like 7 or 8 pages
Bookemon

Although you have to buy the book iirc

Reactions: z.5

Vandred

Plan Deviser
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
It works fine, but I prefer the juxtaposition of the events of Golden Age with the actual start of the manga. I tend to like narrative devices like that anyways. You're thrown into the middle of a story and it's obvious there's some crazy shit going on with no real explanation of why. Then you get flung back in time to see how it all got that way. I guess it could be a preference thing, but yeah.
I like that approach as well, and I do think it works well for Berserk. It's also somewhat unusual - the Golden Age is a hell of a long flashback - and it corresponds to the way the author himself, for better or for worse, intended his work to be read.

But to make the long story short, I don't know how much I would have been struck by the events of the Eclipse if I had already known who Femto was, in what shape Guts survived, what Apostles are, how they are created, the God Hand and the Brand... you even get an idea on where the dead end up with the stream of souls and the Abyss. Without the Black Swordsman arc, the supernatural/demonic elements are essentially limited to Zodd being a sort of very strong werewolf. :D You don't even know what behelits are at that time.

In fact, the story being already introduced as a "guy hunts demons for revenge" right away, in my opinion, is somewhat less powerful in the long run than following what looks like the tale of an outcast within a band of mercenaries led by a charismatic general with big ambitions until you reach the point where all hell literally breaks loose out of nowhere. The progression from basically zero to that point of mayhem is one of the best, if not the best, reading experiences I've had with a manga, and one I don't regret in the least.

Following the order of release is probably a better way to get the reader hooked and curious to see how we got to that point, but for someone who's intent on reading Berserk while knowing almost nothing about what to expect (like I was), I'd recommend the chronological order. But yes, it is essentially a matter of preference and bias toward my own circumstance, a matter complicated by the fact that I can only make an educated guess about whether I'd have enjoyed it more if I had read it the other way. What matters in the end is that we both got to enjoy our respective experiences and we're happy with that. :amuse

Yeah you were 2 mins too late! <_>
I'm usually not a fan at all of things starting deep into the story and then going back. If I decide to read it I may just do it the way you said you did. So first 0I(wtf are these names) to 94, and then those other 0 ones before continuing from 95? Or do the 0 chapters come later than 94?
No, you have the 0 chapters from 0A to 0P, then chapter 1 and onwards normally. Chapter 94 is just where the flashback arc ends. I'd suggest following the chronological order, yeah, but watching all the movies sort of defeats the purpose...

Because it's better that way? :rolleyes: Let's go by your kids meal example. In case I don't like the kids meal I waste less food/money than had I bought the bigger one. If I like it then I can order more.

That's true about the bad adaptations, but I really don't think the movies are giving me a bad picture of the plot here. Sure they skipped things but they didn't create something new entirely a la FMA 2003, they still go the way the story went. End of 2nd movie teased the infamous eclipse in the next one, which I heard of many times, so the main things are seemingly still there.
And you'll have both wasted your money on an inferior meal and behaved like a child :derp (sorry, but that metaphor was asking for that jab :fan )

Like xi0 said, the fact that the main points of the plot are there isn't sufficient for an adaptation to be acceptable. Which is funny to mention, since the 2016 series failed in that regard as well. :eyeroll

I'm not saying that's the case for the movies, I believe they are acceptable... but not much better than that.

Last edited:

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
So then you think there's no difference in the experience of watching Brotherhood having not read the manga, compared to only knowing what you know about the story from FMA 2003?

Following the order of release is probably a better way to get the reader hooked and curious to see how we got to that point, but for someone who's intent on reading Berserk while knowing almost nothing about what to expect (like I was), I'd recommend the chronological order. But yes, it is essentially a matter of preference and bias toward my own circumstance, a matter complicated by the fact that I can only make an educated guess about whether I'd have enjoyed it more if I had read it the other way. What matters in the end is that we both got to enjoy our respective experiences and we're happy with that. :amuse
Wait, how did you end up reading it chronologically in the first place? :blink

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like that approach as well, and I do think it works well for Berserk. It's also somewhat unusual - the Golden Age is a hell of a long flashback - and it corresponds to the way the author himself, for better or for worse, intended his work to be read.

But to make the long story short, I don't know how much I would have been struck by the events of the Eclipse if I had already known who Femto was, in what shape Guts survived, what Apostles are, how they are created, the God Hand and the Brand... you even get an idea on where the dead end up with the stream of souls and the Abyss. Without the Black Swordsman arc, the supernatural/demonic elements are essentially limited to Zodd being a sort of very strong werewolf. :D You don't even know what behelits are at that time.

In fact, the story being already introduced as a "guy hunts demons for revenge" right away, in my opinion, is somewhat less powerful in the long run than following what looks like the tale of an outcast within a band of mercenaries led by a charismatic general with big ambitions until you reach the point where all hell literally breaks loose out of nowhere. The progression from basically zero to that point of mayhem is one of the best, if not the best, reading experiences I've had with a manga, and one I don't regret in the least.

No, you have the 0 chapters from 0A to 0P, then chapter 1 and onwards normally. Chapter 94 is just where the flashback arc ends. I'd suggest following the chronological order, yeah, but watching all the movies sort of defeats the purpose...

And you'll have both wasted your money on an inferior meal and behaved like a child :derp (sorry, but that metaphor was asking for that jab :fan )

Like xi0 said, the fact that the main points of the plot are there isn't sufficient for an adaptation to be acceptable. Which is funny to mention, since the 2016 series failed in that regard as well. :eyeroll

I'm not saying that's the case for the movies, I believe they are acceptable... but not much better than that.
Trump did it....contracted Van to build a wall:gnut

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Wow putting it in spoiler tags and naming it that I don‘t open it, just for me? Much appreciated :pleased

I think I get it now. So it has several of those 0-chapters, then it goes to the flashbacks. Then the flashbacks end after the eclipse and it resumes from where it was during those 0-chapters, then counts normally from there? Then it‘s true that it really doesn‘t matter now after watching the movies :XD I thought the flashbacks were longer.

You obviously planned for the metaphor to go there ever since the start :nah Not bad.

This reminds me of MG, with people refusing to understand my point! :rolleyes:
I finished the last 3rd movie now, I liked it( @gnut ). The adaptation may be bad, but what I’ve been saying since yesterday is that it doesn‘t matter if it‘s a bad adaptation. It does the job of manga adaptations well enough, which is to get people interested. Which I am.

I just can‘t quite imagine where the story goes from here :hmm The movies end after the eclipse, and post-credits Guts puts on black armor. But isn‘t he just totally screwed regardless of what he does?
Those angel-god things, which Gryffith is one of now too, can use magic or something apparently which should make them untouchable for him. Unless the skeleton horse guy gives him some god slaying powers?
Yes I didn‘t quite catch the names of those just yet don‘t hurt me <_>

Does it continue with him somehow hunting down all 5 of them? That would be an instant seller for me to go read the manga. Reminds of Dark Souls and is overall really promising of something fun to spectate. Though maybe I should not put my expectations too high? :hmm

But yeah overall I liked what I saw. The 3 movies are a good watch. Though it gets messed up in the 3rd one I was already semi-spoiled about Casca(I think from the husbando wars) so it wasn‘t as shocking, though I do wonder whether that whole scene was even necessary. The other eclipse stuff was bearable, since it‘s probably a toned-down version of the same thing in the manga.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
So then you think there's no difference in the experience of watching Brotherhood having not read the manga, compared to only knowing what you know about the story from FMA 2003?
No? There’s a difference in experience but whether it’s a small difference or slightly larger, you should still largely have the same.
Not quite sure where you‘re going with this tbh.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
More walls! This is a Berserk thread now.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I thought the flashbacks were longer.
Longer than 94 chapters? :blink We're talking around a full 10 tankoubons worth of manga that is essentially a flashback.

No? There’s a difference in experience but whether it’s a small difference or slightly larger, you should still largely have the same.
Not quite sure where you‘re going with this tbh.
Whose to say though? I generally would prefer to go with the original material, so that there's as little preconceptions about the story as possible. It's really quite rare for any adaptation to be on-par with the source, much less superior.

It might not be accurate but to me, knowing that you prefer FMA 2003 makes more sense since you never read the manga.

Vandred

Plan Deviser
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Wait, how did you end up reading it chronologically in the first place? :blink
It was some issue with the reader as far as I remember, like listing the oneshot, followed by the 0-chapters all in a single chapter, and then chapter 1. It was years ago and it was one of my very first manga reads, I was still a noob :sweatdrop

Oh, if only you'd seen me in my section back in the day :yoda

I think I get it now. So it has several of those 0-chapters, then it goes to the flashbacks. Then the flashbacks end after the eclipse and it resumes from where it was during those 0-chapters, then counts normally from there? Then it‘s true that it really doesn‘t matter now after watching the movies :XD I thought the flashbacks were longer.
Yeah, we could say it starts in 2018, jumps back to 1999 and continues from then on until 2018 and beyond (obviously skipping the part of 2018 already shown at the beginning). I had probably made it more confusing than it is, it's really straightforward when you read it from the start.

You obviously planned for the metaphor to go there ever since the start :nah Not bad.
Maybe :heh

This reminds me of MG, with people refusing to understand my point! :rolleyes:
That sounds like a nasty experience, I hope it never happens to me <_>

I finished the last 3rd movie now, I liked it( @gnut ). The adaptation may be bad, but what I’ve been saying since yesterday is that it doesn‘t matter if it‘s a bad adaptation. It does the job of manga adaptations well enough, which is to get people interested. Which I am.
Yeah, not like you could have just trusted the plethora of people in here recommending the manga. :pls Or the bunch of "best manga of all time" opinions everywhere you turn. :pls

I just can‘t quite imagine where the story goes from here :hmm The movies end after the eclipse, and post-credits Guts puts on black armor. But isn‘t he just totally screwed regardless of what he does?
Those angel-god things, which Gryffith is one of now too, can use magic or something apparently which should make them untouchable for him. Unless the skeleton horse guy gives him some god slaying powers?
Yes I didn‘t quite catch the names of those just yet don‘t hurt me <_>

Does it continue with him somehow hunting down all 5 of them? That would be an instant seller for me to go read the manga. Reminds of Dark Souls and is overall really promising of something fun to spectate. Though maybe I should not put my expectations too high? :hmm

But yeah overall I liked what I saw. The 3 movies are a good watch. Though it gets messed up in the 3rd one I was already semi-spoiled about Casca(I think from the husbando wars) so it wasn‘t as shocking, though I do wonder whether that whole scene was even necessary. The other eclipse stuff was bearable, since it‘s probably a toned-down version of the same thing in the manga.
Good thing you plan to read it all from the beginning without even thinking about skipping anything or asking for spoilers about what happens afterwards, I support that :nod

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
@Xadyu man, it's about to come, the full translation of Tantei Gakuen Q... a dec mango, just in case for you to check it. It's made from the authors that did Kindaichi.

Xadyu

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
@Xadyu man, it's about to come, the full translation of Tantei Gakuen Q... a dec mango, just in case for you to check it. It's made from the authors that did Kindaichi.
Already read it. :hee

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
It was some issue with the reader as far as I remember, like listing the oneshot, followed by the 0-chapters all in a single chapter, and then chapter 1. It was years ago and it was one of my very first manga reads, I was still a noob :sweatdrop
So then you're saying you skipped to Chapter 1 and then "backtracked" back to the first stuff then? I was just curious whether anyone advised you to do it that way or not.