TV - The Legend of Korra | Page 22 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV The Legend of Korra

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's also got a pretty slow rate of fire. It would be like trying to hit a sparrow with a cannon. And once she actually got close that big gun would be pretty much useless. The same is true of all the Airbenders really.

It is just a very impractical looking weapon.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
It's also got a pretty slow rate of fire. It would be like trying to hit a sparrow with a cannon. And once she actually got close that big gun would be pretty much useless. The same is true of all the Airbenders really.

It is just a very impractical looking weapon.
Its not that slow... just look at what it did to the battleships. It fired multiple times and each one lasted a bit and kuvira could move the blast while firing. I think the main issue with airbenders is that they are not technically flying. Its a far cry from what zaheer did. They are not as fast and changing directions takes a tad longer. Even the bison had trouble there. And the blast had a wide range. With korra it would be different. She can fly using airbending and firebending so she would be more mobile and harder to hit. They should simply go use earthbending to get under it and bury it though.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Its not that slow... just look at what it did to the battleships. It fired multiple times and each one lasted a bit and kuvira could move the blast while firing. I think the main issue with airbenders is that they are not technically flying. Its a far cry from what zaheer did. They are not as fast and changing directions takes a tad longer. Even the bison had trouble there. And the blast had a wide range. With korra it would be different. She can fly using airbending and firebending so she would be more mobile and harder to hit. They should simply go use earthbending to get under it and bury it though.
Slow enough. I mean, it is really hard to hit something that's flying. Hitting a battleship is one thing, or a flying bison(bison's not famous for speed.), but anything faster is going to be nearly unhittable; because you just can't lead something with that cannon. And, since it's mounted on the right arm/shoulder, that means anything on the left side going to be safe until the entire thing pivots.

Then once they are close to it, it would essentially be helpless. Remember how Bolin and Asami used a plane and bunch of explosives to demolish base at the end of season 2? That or airbenders doing the same thing could demolish that thing in pretty short order. An added advantage for earthbenders would be that the it's height would prevent it from shooting straight down.

That thing is a powerful siege weapon but what we've seen so far makes a very flawed front line weapon. It's a huge threat if your far away from it but once your close it seems like an easy target.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Slow enough. I mean, it is really hard to hit something that's flying. Hitting a battleship is one thing, or a flying bison(bison's not famous for speed.), but anything faster is going to be nearly unhittable; because you just can't lead something with that cannon. And, since it's mounted on the right arm/shoulder, that means anything on the left side going to be safe until the entire thing pivots.

Then once they are close to it, it would essentially be helpless. Remember how Bolin and Asami used a plane and bunch of explosives to demolish base at the end of season 2? That or airbenders doing the same thing could demolish that thing in pretty short order. An added advantage for earthbenders would be that the it's height would prevent it from shooting straight down.

That thing is a powerful siege weapon but what we've seen so far makes a very flawed front line weapon. It's a huge threat if your far away from it but once your close it seems like an easy target.
I am not sure it would be so weak as a front line weapon. As far as we have seen to begin with that thing is by no means slow. It is basically the armored giant. It is presumably immune to metalbending and it can probably withstand damage from rocks, water, earth, air and fire just as well as the normal suits. The thing can basically step on anything. And it is not even slow moving, it walks at a considerable pace and it might even be able to run. Sure, the laser is the most dangerous aspect of it right now because it is such a powerful ranged weapon which barely takes time to recharge and fires at a considerable rate and can obliterate anything it fires upon but even if you take that away it would simply walk onto anything it wants to stomp. So the issue with the mech is that at a range it can fire the blast, in melee it can do serious damage via punching, stomping and whatnot which is serious because no matter how you look at it that thing is neither slow nor clumpsy (in fact it is precise and fast enough that kuvira can afford to control it via metalbending weird controllers). Once you get past that you are basically on it and you need to get inside. Realistically speaking the only spot at which you could get inside (because that thing is likely immune to most forms of bending) is the windows from which kuvira looks out.

Shooting straight down is a non issue and it would be downright dumb though. Doing that would hurt the mech and if there is a need for damage that close to it then it can simply move stomp on whatever it is bothers it. Or swat it away.

The thing would make for a flawed front line weapon if people in the series had the common sense to develop weapons that, well, made sense. They barely have ranged weapons, the concept of a projectile is basically non existent and planes are not favored over those big, clumsy, slow moving airships. They even invented missiles to drop from airplanes and yet they are not used. If they actually developed the weapons that made sense the mech would simply be a big target at mid range and closer.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
You don't even need to get inside though. All Korra needs to do is knock it over. Because of it's height the centrifugal force of that thing falling over will kill anybody and everybody inside it. Along with smashing the weapon to pieces.

Metalbenders with cables could tie up the legs pretty easily(star wars style). Firebenders could weaken the metal in the legs or warp the joints enough to break, not to mention it probably is super conductive for lightening benders, Earthbenders could just hollow out the ground in front of it and knock it over that way. It can't really stomp on anything that isn't standing still at the speed it moves, especially considering the person in the cockpit can't see the freakin' ground, it's main weapon doesn't even have a turret mounting to allow for 360 degree targeting and we saw how it works. The spirit vines are loaded like tank shells. It can fire a continues stream for a bit and then the vine is consumed and new one needs to be loaded in followed by like a second and half charge time before firing.

There are so many vulnerabilities in this thing, I just have a hard time getting past that.

I thought they were going to go with putting the weapon on an Airship or something because that would a degree of practical sense. Slapping it on Metal Gear I have a really hard time with.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
You don't even need to get inside though. All Korra needs to do is knock it over. Because of it's height the centrifugal force of that thing falling over will kill anybody and everybody inside it. Along with smashing the weapon to pieces.

Metalbenders with cables could tie up the legs pretty easily(star wars style). Firebenders could weaken the metal in the legs or warp the joints enough to break, not to mention it probably is super conductive for lightening benders, Earthbenders could just hollow out the ground in front of it and knock it over that way. It can't really stomp on anything that isn't standing still at the speed it moves, especially considering the person in the cockpit can't see the freakin' ground, it's main weapon doesn't even have a turret mounting to allow for 360 degree targeting and we saw how it works. The spirit vines are loaded like tank shells. It can fire a continues stream for a bit and then the vine is consumed and new one needs to be loaded in followed by like a second and half charge time before firing.

There are so many vulnerabilities in this thing, I just have a hard time getting past that.

I thought they were going to go with putting the weapon on an Airship or something because that would a degree of practical sense. Slapping it on Metal Gear I have a really hard time with.
The cables would not help here IMO. Assuming they get that close to it they are well within range to be stepped on. And they would have to physically restrain for it to trip. In the series physical strength exceeds that of real life but in here we are talking about the guys holding back something which weights thousands of tons and has the strength to move said thousands of tons. If we go purely star wars style each metalbender would need to have enough metal to spin around the legs of the thing several times. I don't think they have that much. And even that relies on the cables not snapping. And even if you trip it it is not enough, there is no reason for it to not be able to stand up or use its hands to remove the cables.

As far as knocking it over with earthbending, that would require either quite a few powerful earthbenders or the avatar. They would have to more quite a significant amount of earth for that and normal earthbenders rarely have that sort of raw power (in the original series we saw freaking ty lee take out a platoon of supposedly competent earthbenders). Maybe bumi could although it would be troublesome if the robot does things like fighting back or standing up after tripping. The second and a half it needs for reloading is pretty reasonable though. If anything that is far too little for anyone to take advantage of it at all. Its less than what you would need to recover from the previous attack.

To be fair, the mecha has shown to be more practical than an airship would be at the whole firing beams thing. The robot can fire precisely a hugely powerful beam. It can fire in basically any direction since it has about as much mobility as a real body. Airships are slow and clumsy. Although that is not to say the mechs and airships are not loaded with spirit weapons. They could easily have them. Although even the smallest prototype we have seen was that huge cannon so perhaps a smaller version is simply not plausible.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

On the star wars thing though, did anyone notice the guys with kuvira in the mech have stormtrooper like masks?

---------- Post added December 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was December 13, 2014 at 05:46 PM ----------

Well, clip for the next episode is out. Seems like things are going to escalate even more. Korra just might try some avatar state obliteration.....

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

The clips they post for the episodes are always the first scene, so in this case this lets us know that everyone has escaped rather well, besides Baatar Jr who seems to be in bad shape. I bet Korra will try something silly like freezing the giant robot's legs underwater...

Last edited by a moderator:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I wonder why the avatar state has never used lightning. Imagine that... Aang was able to overpower aozai's comet enhanced bending with his avatar state and he did not even use lightning. Korra went that way perhap she could take the robot out in one go. Somehow I get the impression that what will eventually get kuvira is a bunch of angry vines. They ARE spirits and presumably they don't enjoy being mutilated for no reason. It would be interesting to see the robot fighting every vine in the city. I can see her ending up in the fog of lost souls.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder why the avatar state has never used lightning. Imagine that... Aang was able to overpower aozai's comet enhanced bending with his avatar state and he did not even use lightning. Korra went that way perhap she could take the robot out in one go. Somehow I get the impression that what will eventually get kuvira is a bunch of angry vines. They ARE spirits and presumably they don't enjoy being mutilated for no reason. It would be interesting to see the robot fighting every vine in the city. I can see her ending up in the fog of lost souls.
Korra doesn't have her past lives anymore right? So she would likely be restricted in Avatar state to more powerful versions of the things she already knows how to do. So, since I don't think she can lightening bend normally, she probably can't in Avatar state either.

It would be cool though.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Korra doesn't have her past lives anymore right? So she would likely be restricted in Avatar state to more powerful versions of the things she already knows how to do. So, since I don't think she can lightening bend normally, she probably can't in Avatar state either.

It would be cool though.
True enough, she is probably limited to the stuff she knows. Still, that leaves a lot of questions. Why didn't she do it when she had 200 or so avatars backing her up? Aang not doing it is understandable but korra should not have the same moral boundaries. There is also the question of why metalbending has not turned up in her avatar state. Korra is supposed to be brash, headstrong, impulsive and whatnot and yet she has shown almost absurd restrain when it comes to her avatar state. The entire second season should have been avoided if she had simply used her avatar state like she is supposed to.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
True enough, she is probably limited to the stuff she knows. Still, that leaves a lot of questions. Why didn't she do it when she had 200 or so avatars backing her up? Aang not doing it is understandable but korra should not have the same moral boundaries. There is also the question of why metalbending has not turned up in her avatar state. Korra is supposed to be brash, headstrong, impulsive and whatnot and yet she has shown almost absurd restrain when it comes to her avatar state. The entire second season should have been avoided if she had simply used her avatar state like she is supposed to.
No idea.

Probably for the same reason Korra hasn't done a lot of things bending-wise. The series kinda downplayed the dominance of being able to use all 4 elements and the avatar state since she had them all almost from the beginning due to character being originally conceived to star in a mini-series rather than full blown Avatar show. Only now, close to the end can the writers let her really cut loose without fear of making the next stage of the story impossible to write.

It's done pretty well hiding that by injecting steampunk elements, I think, but there are still areas that don't quite jive. I suspect that's one of them.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Just watched the finale. Gotta say, a tad surprised at the ending although its not that hard to figure out as the end of the episode comes by.

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

Seriously, DO YOUR WORST INTERNET FANFICTIONERS! Although in all likelihood they already were.

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Congratulations Sir Iknik Blackstone Varrick and Zhu Li Moon!
:clap :yay :grin :party :celebrate :grin2 :shout :luffy :vash :ossu :leepose :confetti

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I always thought varrick would be the gay one in the show. The internet seemed to catch on to this couple thing way earlier than I did though, I just got it in the last few minutes of the episode. For a second there I thought korra would be getting back together with mako, I guess this was made to be intentionally misleading. Suddenly the whole journey of healing and self discovery takes a new meaning.

I am kinda disappointed at a few things though. We never got to see batar jr confronting kuvira for turning him into collateral damage. I was kinda looking forward to that. I guess kuvira simply lost her capacity to give a crap. I was also disappointed that kuvira still gave korra trouble. Korra is a fully realized avatar, why in the hell is she having trouble with a normal bender? I would understand if she was a bloodbender or could bend stuff korra can't but she is just a skilled conventional bender. The avatar state should have destroyed her instantly. Aang went up against a comet enhanced ozai without the avatar state and did extremely well, the avatar state just foderized him. Korra could have had the earth swallow the giant mech suit... I mean, kyoshi moved an island and kuvira had already totaled the city.

And how is it that this somehow got a happy ending? The amount of damage the city took is on the same scale as what happened to metropolis in the sueprman movie. The city is already far beyond fixing. We are talking about millions of people being suddenly thrown into extreme poverty here. I guess the show is mature enough to admit a lesbian couple but not quite enough to actually tell the viewers millions of people were thrown into crushing poverty and are probably going to starve. Seriously, republic city is done for. I guess there is a new portal now which makes it all good. Wait, that does not make a shred of sense. And spirits are assholes. It was their home too and did nothing to protect it. And simply returned when things were done with. I guess the city belongs to them now, its not like it is possible to rebuild.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I liked it.

There were definitely bits that I would have rather gone differently. I hate the robot and everything about the robot with every fiber of my being, for example. And I think Mako should have died in that one part(or at least lost the use of an arm). Republic City also took getting pretty much leveled oddly well.

This is more than offset though but Verrik and Zhu Li. They were the stars of the show for me. Asami and her dad provided some surprisingly great emotional bits too. And I loved the Asami X Korra ending. That wasn't a pairing I was particularly into but, really, it turned out to be by far the best fit.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I shipped Korrami since season two. They had the chemistry, and as we know Asami was the one Korra truly trusted the most.

I loved the finale. I bought the giant mecha too. Actually, there is nothing that bothered me. Well okay, Make should have died or atleast lost the am, but other than that it was solid.

I want more though :(

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I wouldn't have had trouble with the mecha had the avatar state actually been as good as it is supposed to be. It wasn't entirely bad but I do think it should have been handled differently. Whatever happened to the avatar state having world shattering power? I can't get over this. There should have been a number of things korra could as the avatar could have done to defeat it, the army with it without so much trouble. Seriously, just open a lava pit beneath it. I mean, korra somehow had the ability to bend enough water around it to trap it but not to use the other elements to the same degree? At that stage she could have simply force water through the cracks or something. Or with that level of waterbending there is no reason for korra to have had trouble fighting kuvira later on.

Another thing that kinda bothers me is that the series never dealt with all the concentration camps kuvira had through the earth kingdom. We know for a fact that kuvira placed all people who did not originate from the earth kingdom in education camps. Such a thing should have been relevant... Earlier in the season I was hoping that bolin and varrick would kinda gather their ragtag group of benders and start taking over the education camps to begin taking the earth kingdom back or something. Dunno, for me the season was awesome but it kinda declined a tad after zaheer helped korra. Its not that the episodes were bad, I just didn't buy them.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kuvira was probably the weakest of all the villains in the series, I thought. The show needed to keep coming up for reasons for Korra to lose and that was a bit of a problem.

That being said this last episode was so damn pretty and the musical score was so good that it was a lot easier for me to just turn my brain off and enjoy it. Stuff like Bolin, Suyin, and Lin cutting a building in half and ramming the robot with it was pretty awesome. And overall I'd say I thought this climax was the highpoint of this season if not the series for me. All things considered though I'd still rate the conclusion of The Last Air bender considerably higher; and I definitely call that the better of the two series.

The low point for me was everything involving Toph. Her character's return turned out to be a pretty huge disappointment in my book. Maybe it's one of those things where my expectations just set the bar impossibly high but regardless I was pretty put out with her character.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Pfffff, old bumi would have thrown the building himself twice over. Didn't he bend half of omashu on the day of the eclipse?

I am not sure if she was the weakest though. Well, amon was a bloodbender so he is basically unbeatable. On the other hand I would think that unalaq before fusing with vatoo and zaheer are more on her level. Unalaq was pretty skilled but he never showed anything particularly exceptional. Zaheer had the flying gimick but other than that he was not a particularly powerful bender. He was good considering he did it for such a short amount of time but even when he fought tenzin he did not really hold his ground. Even with his flying I don't think he would be able to beat the more powerful masters we have seen. Competent, yes, but short of a master bender.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't mean weak in just in terms of skill but in a broader sense.

Amon was obviously pretty great all around and the ending with him and his brother gave the Book 1 a pretty powerful finish. Unalaq was a skilled bender, with spirit power at his disposal, but he also had this whole personal angle with Korra since he was her uncle and the twins giving even more of an emotional foundation. Zaheer wouldn't have been a strong villain in a vacuum but his 3 red lotus comrades gave him a significant boost. Together they were pretty badass and had some satisfying character depth.

Kuvira was a great metalbender and had some great fight scenes but otherwise she was pretty much just a megalomaniac and by far the thinnest of the characters. What is supposed to be the emotional hook there her love of Bataar Jr? And her supporting characters were pretty much faceless fodder after Verrik and Bolin bailed.

-----------------------------------------

Though thinking about that makes me realize the real disadvantage Korra's story had when compared to Aang's. That series had a lot more episodes and a lot more concentration on one group of bad guys. So when the climax of the series came it was epic.

Korra cycled through them and I think that weakened the opposition in the long run. Like if this had been the conclusion of four seasons of Amon doing his anti-bender thing or Zaheer doing his philosophical anarchist thing I suspect it would have been a lot more powerful.

Last edited: