The Martigan thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Martigan thread

martigan

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, like the forum says, here's a thread where you can ask me questions about myself, share your opinions on my translations, beg me for money, or do whatever you feel like.

My name comes from Val Kilmer's character in the movie "Willow", in case ya didn't know.

enjoy!

kadodo

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Haiti
My post is ten minutes after you made thid thread. :o
Here's my question. Are you japanese, if not how did you learn japanese?

martigan

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not any percent Japanese. I've been studying for near to two years right now, but I've been going at it pretty intensely. For example, my last semester of college, I took 3 Japanese language courses and two other non-language Japanese courses.
I took the JLPT二級 in December, but I have doubts that I passed it.

So, all in all, I haven't really learned Japanese yet, I just get by on my unhealthy love for grammar and rikaichan (http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan/).. it's almost like cheating.

kyubisharingan

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey let me, Maritgan's stalker (kidding of course) answer the first question

marti is a translator for Shiraku currently and does One Piece weekly, he usually works on spoilers that have been approved by the Touch.

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
manu said:
marti is a translator for Shiraku currently and does One Piece weekly, he usually works on spoilers that have been approved by the Touch.
He translated Muhyo to Ryouji 17 and 18, if i'm not mistaken. Welcome to MH, Marty-kun. Hope you'll have fun here. <3

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
He also did chapter 17 and 18 of Zan.

And there is a perfectly good reason for me knowing everything he's translated but I just won't mention it.

martigan

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
As manu said, so far I have translated the last two chapters of Zan and Muhyo to Roujie chs. 16-18 (the translation shiraku released for 16 was yoropiko's, but I translated it as well). In the future, I'll continue to translate Muhyo to Roujie as long as I can, and possibly work on some other projects with Shiraku or others. I'm also translating the one piece scripts when they come out in the spoiler discussion (which usually won't get released because they may be missing text, especially sfx).

@九尾写輪眼: I'm not sure what college you should go to in order to study Japanese. I just graduated from Florida State, and their program was good and improving. As for other colleges I'm not really sure, except to say that there is a good concentration of Japanese scholars in the midwest (Chicago, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc.) for some reason.
As for the translation, I'll give it a shot, but I can't promise you I'll get it done any time soon

@Khaludh: thanks a lot for the welcome, I'm glad to be here

venicia777

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
hey-- i loved your translaton for the latest One Piece chapter. Good job.

God knows One Piece deserves more translators on here. I hope you keep helping out. But-- was that your first OP?

martigan

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Venicia, thanks for the encouragement.

Actually, I tried my hand at 438 and 441, which you can find in the old One Piece spoilers. I've saved them and eventually I'll put all my translations up in my sub-forum. To be honest with you though I didn't really feel entirely confident in the first two translations I did, but each one moreso and the last one felt pretty good.

venicia777

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hey-- great job- i found those ones too. Although One Piece has the longest dialogue of any series on here- i am really appreciative of those that try the translations. They are soo helpful.

Edit:
Since you tried some spoiler translations there is a spoiler script untranslated in the One Piece spoiler section right now.

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I would bump this thread since you just posted a trans and all!

I can see that you are translating Kenichi for illuminati which is great news but what other series are you currently working on or planning to work on? Have your tastes changed since you first posted here? Or do you still translate one piece and I just managed to miss it somehow!