Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Already? :huh I know Mad Max is the most recent blockbuster but still...

Anyway, just watch it; I went to watched Mad Max in a smaller theatre and in 2D but it was nonetheless a fun movie. I guess the small rooms will just be 2D for you guys?
No it's 3D, and the sound is actually great so there's almost no difference. In reality the screen ratio is the same too since you're closer to a smaller screen, but the experience is a little less "grand" even so.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

holy shit $5???? I wish my movies cost that lousy amount... That's hilarious 8-)
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Tomorrowlan was pretty fantastic for 5$. Loved just about all of it and the adult actor was hilarious. I liked the message of hope and change it embodied. We need more movies with such a message.
True enough. I mean, even a superman movie can't be optimistic nowadays. Its not that I don't enjoy gritty but when everything is gritty then we have a problem... Its a bit of a shame the movie was sort of a flop (it won't make its money back apparently).
 

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I watched Donnie Darko for the first time, and wow, it was trippy. I definitely recommend watching it, even though I'm still unsure what the ending is about.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
"Da Sweet Blood of Jesus" was pretty interesting. Not bad for an independent production by Spike Lee, like this film as much as "Red Hook Summer". :super
 

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Unfinished Business (2015) was pretty hilarious, and surprisingly a watchable film.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,074
Reaction score
6,931
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Saw Big Hero 6 this week, was so exciting, definitely best Disney movie since Princess and the Frog.

Saw Mad Max Fury Road also, didnt understand the plot or background so didnt like it much
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
just back from jurassic world. As expected, solid B movie: good action, good visuals and dinosaurs. But effort could have been made with direction. Actors were just not directed, you really get the feeling that any line delivery was ok. Worst character in the movie being the babysitter and it's really a bummer because that girl can act (Morgana from Merlin (BBC)). The two kids are especially annoying (the younger one is the one already seen in Iron Man 3). But all in all, the main duo is still working (Chris Pratt and the redhead).

In the end, I was entertained but still just a B movie. The name of the new "genetically engineered" dino is Indominus Rex. You have been warned.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,074
Reaction score
6,931
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Loved Jurassic world. The brothers were my favorite part of it, onii-chan was best. This, San Andreas, and Into the Storm continue to prove that these blockbuster movies are so good when we have brotherly bonds present that strengthen through drama.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Loved Jurassic world. The brothers were my favorite part of it, onii-chan was best. This, San Andreas, and Into the Storm continue to prove that these blockbuster movies are so good when we have brotherly bonds present that strengthen through drama.
I will never understand anything about your taste. But well, lots of people are saying this about me as well ...
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I remember seeing the Jurassic World trailer debut during the Super Bowl and thought it looked terrible. Don't really have much motivation to see it honestly.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
I had the same feeling when watching trailers Gary, but I ended up liking it much more than I had anticipated. Surprisingly a lot :XD

Mostly due to the adult duo (Star Lord, sorry Chris but you will always be Star Lord for me) and the red head. Didn't care much for the kids, a rather cliché story from their part. I won't spoil but you can likely guess the dynamic of it. Chris was great in the movie though, got to say. I also thought the Raptor thing would be so cringe, but I ended up finding it super cool, rofl. In the end I guess I missed the Dinosaur action, because well I love dinosaurs... Kinda makes the kid in me from when I was 6 etc and had all the dinosaur toys come back to life again for 2 hours.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Jurassic Park as a franchise didn't really blow me away much in the first place. I mean, I saw all 3 and enjoyed them to some extent, but it isn't something I have a ton of nostalgia for. The special effects in the trailer look kind of mediocre to me and I just didn't find the idea of revisiting such a place all that appealing to me...that's all. Purely a rental for me, not something I would go the theater and watch.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
The trailer just seemed bad to me too. Kinda suprised the new one is doing so well. I mean, man-made hybrids and tamed velociraptors? How corny is that? Well, atleast the poster I saw was cool. And I do kinda get why Jurassic Park is still a thing, the first one was really impressive when it came out and has even aged pretty well, the effects still look good. And it had an pretty nice script too, thinking of the main theme and clause (breeding - "Nature always finds a way"), even though the ending scene on the other hand is very sloppily written. I mean, first hours you tease T-Rex with steps heard miles away and that water shaking in the glass, and then in the end Rexy suddenly becomes a silent ninja who can magically fit thorough man sized doors. I was at a master class held by the set designer of the film, and he told that when he asked Spieldberg where the dinosaurs comes from the the hall, Spielberg answered "Well, from the left side of the picture frame of course".

But yeah, first was pretty nice, 2 and 3 not so put could be enjoyed as brains-off stuff. Gonna wait Jurassic World 'till Netflix/rental/3euro dvd sale.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Speaking of Jurassic World

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Speaking of Jurassic World
/dead

I will never understand anything about your taste. But well, lots of people are saying this about me as well ...
He's doing it on purpose. Finally made the connection that he's DTL from GAF.

Loved how misleading some of the teaser pics were or that's what I'm trying to fool myself into. hehe Din't have high expectations, but a friend turned me to some reviews and it turned into a fulfilling evening. Man did Pratt GET even broad than in GotG(?), dayum! Kids were a bit annoying, the bigger one out of purpose, the younger one because he seemed to have ADD.
D'onofrio being in the cast was a great suprise as well, his fat days on Criminal Intent are thankfully over.

And come one, who could hate that ending, T-mofo-Rex partnering with the lil Velociraptor to take that ugly monster down.

The trailer just seemed bad to me too. Kinda suprised the new one is doing so well. I mean, man-made hybrids and tamed velociraptors?
Don't you wanna like... put all those spoilers into spoilers tags?
 
Last edited:

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
So I finally got myself to watch the last Hobbit movie. For a massive LOTR fan starting in my childhood it was a movie I had to get through, but I postponed it as the Hobbit trilogy had been such a massive disappointment to me. The feel is somewhat, yet completely different to LOTR overall. While I completely am aware as a big time book reader that the feel of the Hobbit compared to LOTR is massively different, there was something about the production in general that simply didn't sit well with me. It's more "fairy tale" like, which is seen with the massive use of overly shiny lighting in the majority of scenes, which is a side effect of overly excessive usage of green screen everywhere. If it's not green screen, then it's handmade and not natural. Even rocks are rather made than filmed naturally. It stinks. LOTR both looked more natural, and felt more "real". Overall I forced myself through the first half of the movie. The majority of it is obviously either incredibly dragged out, making parts really annoying (like Thorin's annoying attitude being almost unbearable due to how long he broods/is "cursed"), or it's made up/filler. I must say however that when they went up in the mountains where it was snow, I did enjoy the movie for what it was delivering, even if it was complete filler. It stung in my heart when Legolas' heart was broken over Tauriel showing she did not love him. Don't get me started on how poorly written that Dwarf/Elf love story was written. It's nonsense that she "ditched" Legolas over a "fling" which never even was a fling. She barely knew the guy... It does at least shed some light on Legolas' disdain with Dwarves @start of LOTR, in terms of offering an explanation for it even if it's made up. Loved the tie in with LOTR at the end when his father tells him to go North and search for Aragorn. Cool stuff. Overall a rather mediocre movie and trilogy however. Not something I will bother rewatching sadly. Was hoping it would continue the amazing masterpiece Jackson created in LOTR, but in the end it turned into a Star Wars repeat.
 
Top