Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Jupiter Ascending is not bad. I would give it a solid 7/10; however I think the casting was bad.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I saw predestination with Ethan Hawke. Often, time travel can be fucked up ... but here we have a whole new definition of "fucked up".
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just got around to seeing Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Like everybody else I liked it a lot. Loved that Barton(Hawkeye) got a chance to shine. Loved what they did with him and Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. And James Spader's Ultron was fantastic IMO. But I'm a fan of Spader's delivery style and I know not everyone is.

I'm with Doraku on the romance bit though, even huge fan of romance that I am, that whole subplot didn't really work for me.

The whole thing between her and Banner seemed like it came out of nowhere since she wasn't his biggest fan in the first Avengers. Also I don't know if I misread it but it seemed like Cap 2 was starting to play a little bit with the idea of her and Cap; which would have seemed less out of place to me since that is a thing that happens in one of the Avengers comic storylines but even that I'm not sure I would have wanted to see.

As it was it was like her character was kind repurposed to be the Esmeralda to his Quasimodo to spice up Banner's character a little and I don't really think it was necessary. It wasn't terrible or anything but it was a part of the story that just didn't feel like it belonged.
 
Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
I absolutely loved Mad Max: Fury Road.

First things first, it isn't intellectual, it isn't thematically mindblowing and thought provoking, it isn't even techinacally that special. But it is fricking intense, story has been done a dozen times before. I loved every bit of the visually stunning world, the art direction, the feeling, the madness. I think I had a manic grin on my face thorough the whole film. It's fun, it's heart gripping during it's emotional moments. It's incredibly well done action film.

The film is just fricking cool. Loved it.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

I want to ride a motorcycle in the middle of a desert wasteland, while a massive truck with a guy playing a flaming guitar hooked to massive PA-system on top of it and a dozen of other freaky vehicles chase me.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I was probably going to see Avengers next, but I might go see Fury Road first instead. The internet is ablaze with hype for this movie. Seems like it's legit.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I saw "Fury Road" yesterday, it was good, but the hype is overrated on this. I think, Warner Bros. wrote a lot checks out to these critics.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I saw mad max yesterday and i think it s an ... absolutely awful movie. I hated it enough to be my contender for worst movie of the year so far. I don t understand the hype at all. The movie is an apology for emptiness. There is no humor, no dialog, no story ... it's just 2h of road rage, nothing else. And for me, it s not enough to make a movie. I don t get it. By what were you guys impressed ? It s not even that spectacular. A movie made of thin air and explosions in the desert, a two hours chase scene... and somehow people are saying it s a great movie. I don t get it.
 
Last edited:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Let's not start lying here, it has a couple funny moments, it got a story with dialogue. It's the best movie of the year so far and with the huge and vast majority of critics agreeing, the problem probably lies with you, not the way around.

Ex Machina was great too though.
Funny how Nathan never really lied, while Caleb was played like a fool from the very beginning.

The biggest shocker is how Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 got $62,929,000 in the box office so far with Ex Machina only reaching 20mil so far. :/
 
Last edited:

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Let's not start lying here, it has a couple funny moments, it got a story with dialogue. It's the best movie of the year so far and with the huge and vast majority of critics agreeing, the problem probably lies with you, not the way around.

Ex Machina was great too though.
Funny how Nathan never really lied, while Caleb was played like a fool from the very beginning.

The biggest shocker is how Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 got $62,929,000 in the box office so far with Ex Machina only reaching 20mil so far. :/

Ex Machina was more about naked robot women than advanced technology and it's connection with human beings. Oscar Isaac was the only real reason I even bothered with this film.

Recommend "Blade Runner" over this.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Let's not start lying here, it has a couple funny moments, it got a story with dialogue. It's the best movie of the year so far and with the huge and vast majority of critics agreeing, the problem probably lies with you, not the way around.

Ex Machina was great too though.
Funny how Nathan never really lied, while Caleb was played like a fool from the very beginning.

The biggest shocker is how Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 got $62,929,000 in the box office so far with Ex Machina only reaching 20mil so far. :/
Don't underestimate stupid slapstick comedy. The original made 146 million dollars and I assume it was just as terrible.
 

Notice me Escanor senpai

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
12,424
Reaction score
4,560
Gender
Female
Country
Morocco
No Blockbuster can be movie of the year
Well said.I couldn't agree more, although we are pretty much the only ones who think that...

Regardless isn't it too early to say if Mad Max is going to be the movie of the year? When some movies like Spectre aren't out yet?That's prolly one of the few blockbuster movies I'm looking forward to see.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Man, what is this elitist BS? lol
It does not have anything to do with elitist bullshit, it´s just the truth. It´s only that people got so used to McDonalds food, they can not even taste 3 star restaurant meal, heck not even a juicy, Argentinian steak from a natural bred animal.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I don't get the analogy at all. Plenty of blockbuster-like movies have substance.

I'm not talking about shit that merely makes money and is therefore a blockbluster. I'm talking about something that is almost universally well-received on top of it. Surely there are enough cynical movie critics to knock down stuff just because it's popular. Hype goes hand in hand with hyperbole, but just because something makes money, doesn't automatically void it's artistic merit. That's too jaded for me, sorry.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Well said.I couldn't agree more, although we are pretty much the only ones who think that...

Regardless isn't it too early to say if Mad Max is going to be the movie of the year? When some movies like Spectre aren't out yet?That's prolly one of the few blockbuster movies I'm looking forward to see.
Oh come on, that's a pretty bad view considering blockbuster action movies are the ones that will never have the chance to win an oscar for movie of the year. Wow, you are pretty much the only ones? Hahaha, the most unture statement in this whole thread I assure you of that with 120% confidence. I would bet everything own on that.

And of course people always mean that it's the best movie "so far" or "of the summer". Ridiculous to asume otherwise. A Force Awakens will be the final "movie of the year". :P

It does not have anything to do with elitist bullshit, it´s just the truth. It´s only that people got so used to McDonalds food, they can not even taste 3 star restaurant meal, heck not even a juicy, Argentinian steak from a natural bred animal.
It is elitist bullshit, your anology really doesn't work at all here. Not every great movie has to be appeal to the intellect to be considered incredibly good. Let's not confuse it with bad blockbuster movies like Transformers or Iron Man 3. The action and cinematography was top notch in Fury Road. I never felt like the movie tried to trick me into anything with it's effects or action.

I think, Warner Bros. wrote a lot checks out to these critics.
Or their opinions simply differ from yours. Alleging people of bribery without a shred of evidence. Hooray to that!!
Ex Machina was more about naked robot women than advanced technology and it's connection with human beings. Oscar Isaac was the only real reason I even bothered with this film.

Recommend "Blade Runner" over this.
Yeah let's recommend one of the greatest SciFi dramas over this... you couldn't have chosen something further on top, because there really isn't much to chose from there. Terminator 2, Alien, Wall-E, Westworld, The Iron Giant, GitS, Robocop.

You honestly haven't really paid attention when it's all been reduced to naked robot women.
Surely, the allure of her was a major part of the plot, it was about an autonomous robot trying to escape confinement using all she had at her disposal after all. Her deception wasn't clear during the whole movie, even though I wondered who's the one telling the lies the moment the outage scene.
 
Last edited:

Notice me Escanor senpai

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
12,424
Reaction score
4,560
Gender
Female
Country
Morocco
I don't get the analogy at all. Plenty of blockbuster-like movies have substance.

I'm not talking about shit that merely makes money and is therefore a blockbluster. I'm talking about something that is almost universally well-received on top of it. Surely there are enough cynical movie critics to knock down stuff just because it's popular. Hype goes hand in hand with hyperbole, but just because something makes money, doesn't automatically void it's artistic merit. That's too jaded for me, sorry.
Not really, the fact is there's two types of movies, and generally blockbuster movies are more on the surface, but author's cinema is different, and is way more deep than any blockbuster movie period. Even if you have some blockbuster trying to be deep, it can never be as deep as an author film. It's a matter of preference in the end, and right now the most successful movies are blockbusters filled with brainless action. We can't judge a whole genre on simply a few movies, we judge it on the majority of the films, and in the case of author movies there aren't many that have brainless action either. Like someone said blockbusters don't win the oscars for best movie or rarely, so they're just good to fill the pockets of movie studios with money.
Doesn't mean I don't watch blockbusters, I watch a few a year, but I feel that author's films deserve more recognition, sadly they don't have the ressources nor the exposure needed to make it, and this is particularily the case in the US. Winning the oscars isn't enough, and it's not about being elitist. It's about choosing carefully what you watch, being picky I guess. I don't feel involved in the story of a blockbuster, however in some author films they bring out a lot of good points, and overall I feel more invested. Right now the studios in the US mostly are just cashing on franchises such as Avengers, and the few other choices aren't that good either. So I really don't see why people should give their money to these greedy studios, who more often than not are just rehashing the same stuff.There's no variety, and the themes aren't deep enough.
 
Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Blockbusters may never be "your" movies of the year but often times mine are.

Last year for example Guardains of the Galaxy probably would have been my choice. Right now, I'd easily call Avengers: Age of Ultron my movie of the year. Because, if somebody asked me what the best movie I saw this year was, that is the answer I'd give.

Ultimately, I couldn't care less if a movie impresses other filmmakers or critics; I care about what my viewing experience was.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Last year, it was interstellar for me. This year, it's kingsman so far.
Saying that a blockbuster can't be the movie of the year is hipster bullshit. In the end, it's just a matter of tastes anyway.
 
Top