Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure that is just advanced viewings for critics, as it hasn't been released in North America yet. It comes out Thursday or Friday.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I'ts been out here since Wednesday and I went to see it. I don't know if I'd completely disagree with the rating, but at this point I'm just biased because of how good I found Civil War.

My gripe with the movie is that it spends a lot of time establishing the characters and motivations before we get to the action end of the film. It's the same issue I found with BvS, but it's necessary for actions to make sense but it just feels dragged out and bland.

Apocalypse didn't work very well as a villain for me, I was expecting more and his appearance just didn't sit well with me.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Did anyone see The Witch? Just got done watching it...holy shit. The ending was a bit unsatisfying/predictable, but I think it pulled off what it set out to be and the acting performances were a highlight. Really one of the most unsettling films I've seen in recent memory.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Really wanted to see that one, but they had only one viewing here at a horror film festival. and I were at work during it. Need to wait for the bluray release :gwah

Gotta wait and see if it gets a region 2 bluray release, as of now I don't know of such.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Did anyone see The Witch? Just got done watching it...holy shit. The ending was a bit unsatisfying/predictable, but I think it pulled off what it set out to be and the acting performances were a highlight. Really one of the most unsettling films I've seen in recent memory.
See...i really didnt care for it.(lotta ex GoT actors in it tho).
But i thought a witch would be headlined more instead of a couple creepy kids and a goat...:heh
It was like wickerman....build up/build up/etc and then the eventual letdown:gnut
You want a good bone chilling movie...watch ravenous...now this one is unsettling.


But,i watch age of ultron and antman this weekend....AoU was ok but i really enjoyed antman...
I thought it was a good balance of comedy and badassery.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
See...i really didnt care for it.(lotta ex GoT actors in it tho).
But i thought a witch would be headlined more instead of a couple creepy kids and a goat...:heh
It was like wickerman....build up/build up/etc and then the eventual letdown:gnut
She was headlining it, but she worked better as an "unseen evil". I'm perfectly fine with antagonists like this.

I don't exactly know what you mean by the eventual letdown though.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That ending was....blah

I wanted to see some fireworks...some kinda action x/
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
That ending was....blah

I wanted to see some fireworks...some kinda action x/
How would that have been done without introducing even more characters? I thought the film was quite tight and succinct, 92 minutes. I liked it, idk.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just watched Batman v Superman. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't waste my money seeing this film in theaters. Zack Snyder should not be allowed to direct another DC movie if they seriously want to contend with the MCU.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just watched Batman v Superman. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't waste my money seeing this film in theaters. Zack Snyder should not be allowed to direct another DC movie if they seriously want to contend with the MCU.
Too late. He was filming Justice League part 1 literally the day BvS released in theaters and I'm pretty sure he's contracted for Justice League part 2.

Warner Bros probably aren't going to give him quite as much rope from now on. All the news that's come out behind the scenes about what's going on with DC is that they are not pleased with him at all. And the new leads for the DC movies are going to be Geoff Johns and Jon Berg. Not sure what they will bring to the table but they should definitely know what not to leave Snyder to "do his own thing".
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Too late. He was filming Justice League part 1 literally the day BvS released in theaters and I'm pretty sure he's contracted for Justice League part 2.

Warner Bros probably aren't going to give him quite as much rope from now on. All the news that's come out behind the scenes about what's going on with DC is that they are not pleased with him at all. And the new leads for the DC movies are going to be Geoff Johns and Jon Berg. Not sure what they will bring to the table but they should definitely know what not to leave Snyder to "do his own thing".
I'm just really disappointed because the DC universe has such rich superheroes that are worth bringing to the big screen. However, all the DC films that have come out in the past decade with the exception of Nolan's Batman trilogy have been quite forgettable.
It is sad to hear that Snyder is directing the Justice League films. I doubt I'll go see them. However, I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad and the new Batman film Ben Affleck will be directing.
 
Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Kind of amazing how World of Warcraft has done.

It's not a movie I went to see or have any intention of going to see, as everything I've heard about it has been bad, and that was apparently true of the entire domestic audience where it flopped hard. But it somehow become a smash hit at at the Chinese box office.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Kind of amazing how World of Warcraft has done.

It's not a movie I went to see or have any intention of going to see, as everything I've heard about it has been bad, and that was apparently true of the entire domestic audience where it flopped hard. But it somehow become a smash hit at at the Chinese box office.
Warcraft and WoW is huge in China, with many people making a living off the game as gold sellers. It being gigantic in China was sort of unavoidable. Legendary Pictures is a subsidiary of the Wanda Group, a Chinese conglomerate that owns the world's largest cinema chain.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Warcraft and WoW is huge in China, with many people making a living off the game as gold sellers. It being gigantic in China was sort of unavoidable. Legendary Pictures is a subsidiary of the Wanda Group, a Chinese conglomerate that owns the world's largest cinema chain.
True, and they are also big fans of the blockbuster spectacle movies in general too. I mean, the much maligned Transformers movies have had diminishing returns domestically but the last two have made over a billion dollars thanks largely to Chinese moviegoers. Maybe they just aren't as picky.

Either way the Chinese box office turned it from an outright disaster into one of the few video game movie success stories, at least financially.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Either way the Chinese box office turned it from an outright disaster into one of the few video game movie success stories, at least financially.
Yeah, and probably sealing the deal of them Jones going forward with sequels. I haven't seen the movie yet, I might try to go this week. I'm mostly interesting in seeing where he'll go with more movies since he's said previously that he didn't want to handle the Arthas story.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
True, and they are also big fans of the blockbuster spectacle movies in general too. I mean, the much maligned Transformers movies have had diminishing returns domestically but the last two have made over a billion dollars thanks largely to Chinese moviegoers. Maybe they just aren't as picky.

Either way the Chinese box office turned it from an outright disaster into one of the few video game movie success stories, at least financially.
Anything with explosions or fast cars tend to do really well in Chinese market. Furious 7 is the highest grossing movie of all time in China, for example.

So yeah, Asian moviegoers tend to have different "priorities" when it comes to watching movies. Critics' darling might not do really well in the market if it's not action-packed.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Anybody actually see Ghostbusters?
I did. It was way better than the hype or should I say anti-hype? It was not as good as the original though.
I did find some of the jokes to be ... forced... is a good word.

You can look forward to cameo's from the original cast, just in different roles. You get a SURPRISE feel from it. :D
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke

Maybe I'm nuts, but this looks a lot more interesting than I was expecting it to.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The teaser was amazing IMO, this looks even better. Comic Book fan or not, seeing this cast in a movie together could be worth the price of admission.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Got to see Star Trek Beyond and the new Jason Bourne movie last weekend.

Star Trek was great. By far the best of the Star Trek movies IMO. Very much like an episode of the show just huge and high budget. Got to hand it to Simon Pegg he knows what trekkies want.

Jason Bourne was... well another Bourne movie. I enjoyed it. It was a fun action thriller. Plot wasn't much of anything but was good enough as an excuse for Matt Damion to run from action scene to action scene. Certainly better than the last bond movie was in that regard.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Went to see Suicide Squad this afternoon and I liked it a lot.

Really don't get why critics hated it so much. Seemed like at least a 7 out of 10 to me; at the very least. It also did what no DC movie before it has managed to do and develop characters that I'd actually like to see more of. Margot Robbie and Will Smith were both great. The rest of the cast were at least good.

Really feel like the critics were wrong on this one.:notrust

Also kudos to whoever cut that movies trailer. That thing gave away nothing! Even gave a little misdirection of what it did show. It was the polar opposite of the BVS. That guy needs to handle all DC trailers from now on.
 
Last edited:

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Suicide Squad was decent. The film was funny and entertaining. Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Amanda Waller did well in their individuals roles. They carried this film. However, this movie still has problems. The villain was so plain and generic. What was her name again? The final fight was underwhelming. The movie starts out full of energy but almost grinds to a halt during the second half where the action really slows down before picking up again. The characters who were once so lively and energetic turned into hopeless zombies. The bar scene was great, but the other scenes were forgettable. Deadshot and Harley received some good character development . I couldn't bring myself to care about the other members so much. Jared Leto as the Joker? He was good. I liked the voice. His mannerisms are very different from Ledger's Joker. He seemed very unpredictable. I liked his aura. I loved this flim whenever the Joker popped up on screen but he is hardly in this movie! Just a handful of scenes. What the heck WB and David Ayer?? Why not make the Joker the film's main antagonist instead of him being some detached rarely shown third party? This was a stupid decision. No one cares about Enchantress. She sucked throughout this movie and her speeches were so cliche. This movie had a lot of potential and hype around it so I was disappointed that it didn't live up to my expectations. The critics are slamming this film too hard, but I will admit Suicide Squad is a not a great film. If someone said this film wasn't good, it would be difficult for me to argue otherwise.
 
Top