Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm with you on it not being a perfect movie but I definitely liked it better than you did. Seems like I liked all the things you did plus some stuff you didn't.

Like the bad guy for example
I liked the Enchantress just fine as the villain. I thought the mistake was having her talk as much as they did toward the end. She was cooler when she was like something ripped out of a horror movie like she was near the beginning. Still thought she was better than BVS's version of Darkside or the Zod in Man of Steel.

I also liked more of the cast. Especially El Diablo. His character arc was a favorite part of the movie for me and I really wasn't expecting much from him. Figured he was just the token latino guy.

With the Joker I'm also going the other way. I thought we got as much Joker as we could get in a movie not about him or Batman. I really didn't want any more than what we got on that front. He's relevant to Harley Quinn's character but really not to anything else.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Jason Bourne! I liked this movie. From start to finish it was a thrilling action ride that kept me on the edge of my seat. I am not a big fan of shaky cam work, but Paul Greengrass knows how to do it well. I felt like I was a bystander in some of these action sequences because of how certain scenes were shot and framed. I felt really engaged. The story wasn't as good as the previous films. However, the main cast did an excellent job. The fight between Bourne and the asset was good, but nothing beats Bourne vs Desh (third film). I do believe this film has the best car chase scenes. I'm not sure where I would rank Jason Bourne among the other films. However, I do recommend seeing it in theaters.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I'm with you on it not being a perfect movie but I definitely liked it better than you did. Seems like I liked all the things you did plus some stuff you didn't.

Like the bad guy for example
I liked the Enchantress just fine as the villain. I thought the mistake was having her talk as much as they did toward the end. She was cooler when she was like something ripped out of a horror movie like she was near the beginning. Still thought she was better than BVS's version of Darkside or the Zod in Man of Steel.

I also liked more of the cast. Especially El Diablo. His character arc was a favorite part of the movie for me and I really wasn't expecting much from him. Figured he was just the token latino guy.

With the Joker I'm also going the other way. I thought we got as much Joker as we could get in a movie not about him or Batman. I really didn't want any more than what we got on that front. He's relevant to Harley Quinn's character but really not to anything else.
I understand your point. Enchantress was serviceable but I wanted her to be memorable. When are we going to get a badass villain again in a DC film? She was definitely better than Doomsday. However, I liked Zod better. I thought he had some better lines and I felt more conviction in his actions.

El Diablo was cool. I liked his flashback and his conversation with Harley.

You're right about the Joker's relevance to the story. I just thought he would be in the film a little more considering how the trailers made it seem like he was going to be a big part of the movie.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The thing that I don't get is how it was possible for it to receive a 23% on rotten tomatoes. I just don't see where that comes from.

I really feel like the lowest fair rating for Suicide Squad would be "Average". When you compare it to the great Mavel movies it definitely does come up short but it's not BVS either. In fact, I think it compares pretty favorably to the likes of the first Captain America movie, Iron Man 3, and Thor Dark World.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The thing that I don't get is how it was possible for it to receive a 23% on rotten tomatoes. I just don't see where that comes from.

I really feel like the lowest fair rating for Suicide Squad would be "Average". When you compare it to the great Mavel movies it definitely does come up short but it's not BVS either. In fact, I think it compares pretty favorably to the likes of the first Captain America movie, Iron Man 3, and Thor Dark World.
Now I have talked to numerous people who have seen the movie. Almost everyone I know enjoyed the movie but admitted there are certain problems. However, no film is perfect. You can't expect a masterpiece. I read some of the reviews by critics. The majority of their complaints are about the second half of this movie. The first half is hella fun. I'd give Suicide Squad a score of anywhere between 50-60. I think this film is definitely better than the lowest rated Marvel films.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Captain America movie, Iron Man 3, and Thor Dark World.
As an aside, I don't really think the first Captain America movie belongs in the company of those other two. The Captain America movies are somewhat unique as far as these kinds of movies, in that it's sequels actually tend to improve on the one before it. But that necessarily mean it was bad. The same can't be said about Iron Man or Thor, though I would say Iron Man 3 was the worst of the group there.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
As an aside, I don't really think the first Captain America movie belongs in the company of those other two. The Captain America movies are somewhat unique as far as these kinds of movies, in that it's sequels actually tend to improve on the one before it. But that necessarily mean it was bad. The same can't be said about Iron Man or Thor, though I would say Iron Man 3 was the worst of the group there.
I don't think any of those movies are bad, really. I'd probably pick Thor: Dark World as the low man on the totem poll but even it is still like a 6-7 out of 10 in my book. They are just the Marvel movies that I'd put in the 7 out of 10 range.

The point I was trying to make was that the Suicide Squad movie struck me as being around that level.

Like if we ever get another Suicide Squad movie I'd expect it to build on this one the same way Cap 2 did with Cap 1 and Avengers but if you just look at the first Cap movie in a vacuum I don't think it was much better or worse than Suicide Squad was.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Like if we ever get another Suicide Squad movie I'd expect it to build on this one the same way Cap 2 did with Cap 1 and Avengers but if you just look at the first Cap movie in a vacuum I don't think it was much better or worse than Suicide Squad was.
Most of the criticism I've seen is it's thrown at you to be a film in the same vein as Guardians of the Galaxy (albeit, darker), but with way too many characters and not enough time to give them any meaningful/natural exposition. I've seen Viola Davis and Margot Robbie praised, but that's about it.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Most of the criticism I've seen is it's thrown at you to be a film in the same vein as Guardians of the Galaxy (albeit, darker), but with way too many characters and not enough time to give them any meaningful/natural exposition. I've seen Viola Davis and Margot Robbie praised, but that's about it.
There were those criticisms. There were also those that thought wasn't enough Joker. Some didn't like the Joker. Some didn't like the version of Harley Quinn. Some didn't like the 3rd act. Some didn't like the stylized character intro scenes in the early part of the movie. More than a few thought the comedy seemed forced.

And I think many of those points are legitimate criticisms. The movie isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But I where I really have an issue is how the critical consensus can come out as low as it is. It's like the movie is being punished for not being what critics wanted rather than judged for what it is.

It's not a great movie like Guardians of the Galaxy but that doesn't mean it's bad. I feel like too many critics saw that it wasn't great and immediately declared it terrible. And it's really not bad.

The Ang Lee Hulk movie was bad. BVS was bad. X-Men the Last Stand was bad. The Wolverine movie was bad. Batman & Robin was bad. We've all seen what bad superhero movies look like and this just isn't one of those, IMO.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
The Wolverine movie was bad.
Wait wait wait...you mean the first one, right? Origins? Because I think the second one set in Japan is a massive improvement from the previous one.

And I get what you're saying, sometimes the critical "consensus" seems way way off. That's why despite how misleading an aggregate site like Rotten Tomatoes can be, they also include an audience rating for a reason. Not saying that that is reliable either, but oftentimes there is dissonance with those rankings both ways. An audience rating being 77% despite the critic rating being 22% usually means that either fanboys are spamming the site (a lot of these people are completely blind to even the most legitimate of critiques), or people felt like they got what they paid for and at least enjoyed enough to give a favorable reaction.

The opposite situation where an audience score is low and critical reception is high, usually is a result of bad or misleading advertising/trailers. The best recent example is something like The Witch. Which apparently had a lot of people going into the theory expecting a standard horror movie and leaving disappointed. The other obvious scenario is snooty critics saying that the general movie-going audience just "doesn't get it", which can be the case occasionally...but probably not that often in reality.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wait wait wait...you mean the first one, right? Origins? Because I think the second one set in Japan is a massive improvement from the previous one.
I mean, the bad one. AKA the one where they wasted Deadpool in epic fashion.

The second one was ok. Not great but it's also one of those movies that falls into the "Is not really a bad movie" category.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I mean, the bad one. AKA the one where they wasted Deadpool in epic fashion.

The second one was ok. Not great but it's also one of those movies that falls into the "Is not really a bad movie" category.
Ah okay, so then you'd say Suicide Squad was in the same league? Somewhat better?
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ah okay, so then you'd say Suicide Squad was in the same league? Somewhat better?
Somewhat better but in the same general league. Like on a 1-10 scale with 5 being average. I thought the second Wolverine was a 6. Man of Steel also probably a 6.

Suicide Squad I'd put at about a 7.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Welp, saw suicide squad yesterday. All I can say is, what a remarkably average pg13 movie. It's is a far cry from what it was sold as and I get the impression it sort of misses the point. If anything it is surprising the movie even is average. A few comments though:

Jared's joker.... I can't say I liked or disliked him because he was barely there. What was even the point of all the marketing they did to him? He as one of the biggest selling points in the movie and his role was pointless. He could as easily not have been there and it wouldn't have made a difference.

I enjoyed batfleck's cameo. I sort of have a hard time imagining how this joker would give trouble to batfleck though. It was cool to see the joker sort of running a criminal empire but on the other hand it just seems like batfleck could just fly up to him and beat the every laugh out of him while at the same time feeding him his kneecaps through his ass. I am guessing joker's appearance in this movie was meant to merely tease us about his role in a future movie. Jared does need to work on his laugh and creepiness as joker though.

There are a few parts of the plot that bother me as well. Maybe I missed something or just don't get it though. I liked enchantress. When she transformed at that meeting was awesome. It's sort of ridiculous that the plot basically happened because waller thought the suicide squad was a good idea though. And the ending was sort of stupid. From what I could tell enchantress was begging to be killed, the squad was about to grant the request, the soldier stops them and threatens to kill her if he does not release the girl. How stupid is that? It would have made more sense if he threatened her to keep her alive for eternity if he didn't release the girl or something.

Another thing which baffled me is that the bad guys were called terrorists. I mean, how? The actual purpose of terrorism is to, well, cause terror. To coerce society through terror. That is simply not what enchantress was doing. She was exterminating humanity, that is it. The terror is a side effect, not the purpose.
 
Last edited:

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Damn I've really got to go to the movies... or download something. Haven't watched something new in a long time!

Recent movies I seen...
  • Glengarry Glen Ross - very good film about the reality of business really. 9/10
  • Four Brothers - Came on TV and I really enjoyed it. 7/10
  • 22 Jump street - I liked the first one, but this one was quite a letdown. It was looking really good after the first 10mins, then it just died.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom

I've heard great things about this movie and I can't wait until it's released here in September. The sort of quirky fun movies I like watching.
 

dogedoge

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 11, 2016
Messages
26
Reaction score
8
Age
42
Country
United States
So pumped to see Jason Bourne. Identity was 4/5, Supremacy was 5/5, and Ultimatum was 3/5. So not a bad track record.
 

Freid

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
1,678
Reaction score
1,211
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh my god!.. So I've just watched that Mike and Dave movie with Zac Efron and what's his face, and holy shit, it features the most obnoxious, self absorbed pair of women you will ever have the displeasure of watching for an hour and half.

Firstly these women seem like they're meant to be about 25 but they act like teenage gossip girls. They're way too derpy, immature and have no sense of responsibility. It's amazing how out of touch directors are these days when writing young women..like grown ass 25 year olds don't give each other piggyback rides ffs. I normally like Anna Kendrick but got damn she was annoying as hell in this, and her partner in crime even worse. Even after their complete fuck up, you'd think that they'd realize the gravity of the situation, but nah, 'oops' would basically summarize how remorseful they both were.

To be fair, the movie itself started off pretty promising with Zac Efron but then quickly went to shit with the introduction of the women-children. Guh, why do I still watch these chick flicks.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States

:zomg
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
Reading the comments above someone said something about Darkseid in BvS? That wasn't Darkseid, it was an interpretation of Doomsday. Unless you mean the cameo at the end? That also wasn't Darkseid. It more likely to just be a servant/henchman of his from Apokolips discussing Mother Boxes with Lex. I don't think they would be stupid/dumb enough to make Darkseid look like that.

Oh, anyone see the images of Tony Stark in the upcoming Spider-man movie? Or the new trailers/posters for Doctor Strange?
 
Top