Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,245
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is quite alright. I didn't expect much from it and I haven't read the books. It's apparent that it's lacking context from the source material.

X-Men-ish, Florence + The Machine theme and Eva Green. I dig it.

If only Tim Burton is still on his visionary peak, it would have been significantly better.

Excited to read the books.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
The last movie I saw was Suicide Squad. The critics are morons, especially the people saying it was "anti-woman" and "promoted violence against women". What kind of person sits down to watch an action villain movie and expect them NOT to be hit just because they are a female? A harebrained liberal, that's who.I guess people are supposed to treat her differently because she's a woman...oh wait, they would hate that too. :cookiehand

SLIGHT SPOILER: The only downside was the villain.
She shouldn't have spoken as much as she did.

Margot killed the role of Harley. She was absolutely perfect! I also actually really like Will's Deadshot, though some of the lines he was given were really odd. Anyways...onto the rating.

Rating: 4.3/5
 

Freid

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
1,678
Reaction score
1,211
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I thought Suicide Squad kinda sucked. They felt more like a gang of misfits than a group of supervillains, and the only menacing member of the team became the main villain.

Enchantress should never have even lost. The movie nerfed her into oblivion but you still had a witch with telekinesis, teleportation and illusion casting vs... five normal ass people. After the fire dude died, the rest should have been fodder for her

Also the script had enough cheese to cure world hunger. Super villains shouldn't be so chummy with each other and saying shit like "you messed with my friends". There were constant reminders that they were supposed to be bad guys but I couldn't really take them seriously.

I generally liked Enchantress but probably more for her design than her portrayal. I legit laughed out loud when she was gyrating her body like Zoidberg when she was using her powers. I think an older actress would have worked better too. Enchantress's voice was heavy and imposing which didn't really seem to match Cara's youthful appearance. The whole end fight scene was just pretty awkward.

Also the movie did a terrible job of making Enchantress seem evil. She had multiple opportunities to kill June's boyfriend but didn't. Hell she almost started to look like a good guy to me
I liked the fact that she talks about the new age of meta humans but I would have preferred to see her in a movie with Superman or some other mainstream hero cause I think her powers would lend themselves well to city scale fights like those in the Superman movies. Marvel Studios have Dr Strange, and Enchantress could have been the equivalent for Warner Bros.

Anyway I really want DC to do well but they need to stop making these braindead movies. Suicide Squad could have been great and did actually have a good start but bad dialogue ruined it for me.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Can everyone just stop what they're doing and acknowledge there's a new film coming out starring Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero?


As someone who ranks The Room as one of my favourite films, this makes me so incredibly happy. Anyone else?
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire

Okay. This seems super interesting. Downplayed superpowers. Oldman Logan, Xavier and a little girl on a roadtrip movie. The potential is high.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom

Quite excited about this one, looks like Drax has an bigger role at least comedy wise.
 

Freid

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
1,678
Reaction score
1,211
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Recently watched Bad Moms.

Note to self: If a movie's called 'Bad Moms', it's probably not for you.

Never again.
 

Kato756

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2014
Messages
1,880
Reaction score
2,467
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So to try and keep on the same movies above

-Suicide Squad

Was a dissapoiment for me, because it lacked flow (i blame the editing process), joker shouldn´t have been in the movie outside of Harley flashbacks, the team of "super powered individual" had 2 super powered people. Had the film been about something like stealing info, killing a VIP, I think it would be better.
The only thing I liked,no, LOVED, was that deadshot scene. You guys know which one

-Logan

After what happened with Suicide Squad, I aint trusting a movie trailer just because it has a cool music. It looked pretty bland to me, even as its own thing (forgeting the comic arc its based of).

-Guardians 2

It will be good, but since we have expectatives, not as the first one and loads of people will complaing

-Dr Strange

Looks really awesome, I am just worried about the pacing since unless the dialogue is very good, spending too much time on mumbo jambo with the Ancient might be boring.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation

Okay. This seems super interesting. Downplayed superpowers. Oldman Logan, Xavier and a little girl on a roadtrip movie. The potential is high.
I think so too. I don't really like the X-men movies, but this one seems to be made with a different kind of quality. Less cheesy or weird, and not too much focus on "humor" like Disney's Marvel movies. I just hope they do the "papa bear" storyline justice.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
The first two were decent, and so were First Class and Days of the Future Past. But they never really reached the four stars, 3 for good fun. Rest of the series have been garbage. This seems like it could reach levels though. Pretty curious how it will end up being.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
The first Wolverine was ridiculous, with the comical Deadpool and his mouth sewn shut. The last one that was set in Japan was much better than the previous, really enjoyable to watch.
X-Men movies were watchable for me, I didn't think much of them to be fair, not until First Class which I really liked, then Days of Future past.. Apocalypse not so much.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
I thought the Wolverine movies were supposed to be comedic when I saw the Deadpool one. Boy did I anger a few Marvel fans admitting that...
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Saw Doctor Strange this afternoon. Yet another great superhero movie. Everything Marvel touches just turns to gold on the big screen.

Benedict Cumberbatch was such a great choice. This is definitely my new favorite role to see him play too. Even more than Scherlock. He owns the Doctor Strange role as well as Downey Jr and Chris Evans did for Iron Man and Cap.

The rest of the cast was great too. I was surprised how much I liked Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One. That wasn't a casting I really understood until I watched the movie but once I did I could very much see what they were going for; and was totally into it once I did. Benedict Wong was surprisingly entertaining as Wong too; which is pretty hard with a character like that but he did a great job.

Yet again the only thing I wasn't really into was the romance bits. Rachel McAdams does a fine job but at the end of the day hers is the the least interesting major character in the movie.
 
Last edited:

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I just saw it myself this afternoon too! It was really impressive in pretty much everything it did. I couldn't recall any real humor in the comics but this had some good moments.

Yet again the only thing I wasn't really into was the romance bits. Rachel McAdams does a fine job but at the end of the day hers is the the least interesting major character in the movie.
I'd have to agree with that. The story could have easily progressed without her at all, or alternatively, they should have left her out of the story once she left his self-absorbed self.

Just a heads up, for those who like to check for any bonus clips at the end of Marvel movies.... there are two of them. One of which is hysterical :D
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just saw it myself this afternoon too! It was really impressive in pretty much everything it did. I couldn't recall any real humor in the comics but this had some good moments.
I don't know much about the character really. The only comics I ever read with him was the New Avengers during and after the Civil War arc. I also remember seeing a Doctor Strange straight to DVD animated movie at some point. Not great stuff honestly.

Like Cumberbatch's more offbeat version much better than either of those for sure.

I'd have to agree with that. The story could have easily progressed without her at all, or alternatively, they should have left her out of the story once she left his self-absorbed self.
I just wish she wasn't built up as some kind of true love ex-girlfriend thing. If they had just made her longtime friend maybe with some sexual tension. That I could have gotten into maybe. Her scenes with Strange were pretty funny in the latter half of the movie. It's just that the lovey dovey wasn't working for me.

I feel like of the many things Marvel does right, when and where to put romance is something that hasn't gone as well.

The problem, I think, is that they aren't taking the time they need to build those up. Like with Pepper Pots in the first Iron Man movie. Or Gamora in Guardians of the Galaxy. Or Wasp in Ant-Man. When they don't rush it it's fine but when they just throw it in there without developing it, it doesn't work all that well. Like with Black Widow and Bruce Banner. Or Cap and his ex-girlfriend's granddaughter(To be fair. there are other problems with this one too...).
 

Freid

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
1,678
Reaction score
1,211
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I recently watched the latest Ouija movie in the long list of ouija movies that basically explain why you shouldn't be playing with ouija boards, and while this was a little more original, it still had your classic horror movie archetypes like the bible-clad super priest that almost always dies and that one person that doesn't wonna believe something is going on in the house until it's too late. Like if I had a 9 year old daughter that spoke in the voice of a middle aged man, best believe I'd be out of that house catching a plane to Australia by the next morning. We can skype cause ain't nobody got time fo dat.

I wish we saw more of the demon in his original form though, cause he probably couldn't have picked a less intimidating host to possess. Blonde-chan looked way too innocent and was only creepy when she'd go into demon mode and distort her face.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
I just saw Doctor Strange.

I was impressed. I haven't really liked a Marvel movie since the original Spiderman and a little of Ant-man, however there were some things I felt held back this film somewhat.

  • It progressed way too fast at first and then progressed too slowly.
  • Too many things weren't explained or given detail (such as the cape of levitation)
  • Why Strange felt Dormammu would stick to this word
  • Why not reverse time on the Ancient One to bring her back?
  • Why not reverse time on Cael until he was no more?
  • Why not reverse time on Dormammu until he was no more?
  • Why not "enchant" something to keep Dormammu in a time loop?
Beyond that I really enjoyed it. There was humor, but not too much like most Marvel movies, the acting was great, the directing was great, the cgi was great...I honestly can't say anything really bad about it. Minor complaints above not included, of course.

I have to say Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One is what made me really love it though. She was a really good character, and her scenes were always fun to watch and oddly really insightful into life. I'm very thankful as a comic fan they did not throw out the spiritual and belief aspects of Strange's character and abilities.

And you know what would be interesting? Watching a cross-over event with Doctor Strange and Doctor Fate. :fangirl2
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
^ Answer to most of your questions; Because one does not break laws of time and space so lightly. That, or suspension of disbelieve.

I loved it. Sure, it wasn't a masterpiece movie, but was fun and amazing looking action-adventure, keeping up the good steady line on Marvel Studios. I kinda agree with the pacing issues though, some bits went by too fast and some felt a bit dragged out. I personally don't think everything needs to be spelled out to the viewer. I mean, we are told that there are magical artifacts and they choose their owners, I don't think the Cape of Levitation needs more from a stantard movie goer perspective. (Reminded me of Aladdins Carpet seriously). But I can understand someone more into the comics would have enjoyed more detail on it.

The script could have used a bit of honing. I would have liked more on depth on the learning of mystic arts, but then again, the length of the movie would have been too much. They could have imho edited from the action sequences towards the end. But then again, the trippy visuals were the best part of the story.

3/5. 4/5 for Marvel fans. Definetly on the higher tier of Marvel films. Maybe even my personal top 3.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
He broke natural law several times regardless though, so why not just do something else that would have helped them? It would make more sense too.

I agree about the depth of the magic. It seemed like seconds passed from "newb" to "grand master". He was even able to hold his own against people who had been practicing for years (decades?) longer very well.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I believe we are meant to 'assume' that Mister Doctor was there for a few years... with all that assumption is meant to imply. :D
 
Top