- Joined
- Sep 24, 2016
- Messages
- 880
- Reaction score
- 593
- Country
-
@Jammin
I can name a few movies that had it and good humor, such as the Toby MaGuire Spider-man films and the first two Iron Man films. The second Captain America even had good storytelling with solid character development. Marvel movies like Thor and GoTG aren't plot driven or character driven, they aren't supposed to be and everyone knows it. That was some of the biggest complaints people had with Thor. It was that it was just too focused on making you laugh instead of getting us into the characters and existing story.
And yes the second movie is about finding his father. That's "story", true enough, but the problem is that the exposition of the characters and the story were just poorly written in favor for making people laugh every few seconds. This is the way the movies were built because there is not much substance beneath the "story". The incluing is just so shallow.
I don't usually agree with critics—most of the time they're absolutely stupid in their complaints—but they were right about this film. The narrative was lost. And honestly I really don't know how else to explain why it felt weak in the story beyond pointing out that there is very little of it and it makes up maybe 20% of the movie once we're through with all of the humor/pointless humor scenes and the forced character interactions that are, almost entirely, focused on jokes or making fun of each other. You can count on one hand how many times they had meaningful discussions with each other or real development but you can spend 40+ minutes watching them hurl jokes at each other, the plot or at the enemies. What do you really know about them [the characters] beyond the obvious big pointers of the film? You know Star-Lord didn't know who his father was and that his mother died. You know Rocket is a raccoon experimented on and he feels bad about people pointing it out, but can you tell me anymore than that? How much were you really shown about the characters against how much you listened to concerning their jokes or the overall humor of the film?
Not everything has to be serious. I know a lot of people just want some action and humor to rewind, but I just don't like comedy driven action films, most of the time at least (I liked Ant-Man but I knew what that was going in), because I like to feel connected to the world and the characters.
I can name a few movies that had it and good humor, such as the Toby MaGuire Spider-man films and the first two Iron Man films. The second Captain America even had good storytelling with solid character development. Marvel movies like Thor and GoTG aren't plot driven or character driven, they aren't supposed to be and everyone knows it. That was some of the biggest complaints people had with Thor. It was that it was just too focused on making you laugh instead of getting us into the characters and existing story.
And yes the second movie is about finding his father. That's "story", true enough, but the problem is that the exposition of the characters and the story were just poorly written in favor for making people laugh every few seconds. This is the way the movies were built because there is not much substance beneath the "story". The incluing is just so shallow.
I don't usually agree with critics—most of the time they're absolutely stupid in their complaints—but they were right about this film. The narrative was lost. And honestly I really don't know how else to explain why it felt weak in the story beyond pointing out that there is very little of it and it makes up maybe 20% of the movie once we're through with all of the humor/pointless humor scenes and the forced character interactions that are, almost entirely, focused on jokes or making fun of each other. You can count on one hand how many times they had meaningful discussions with each other or real development but you can spend 40+ minutes watching them hurl jokes at each other, the plot or at the enemies. What do you really know about them [the characters] beyond the obvious big pointers of the film? You know Star-Lord didn't know who his father was and that his mother died. You know Rocket is a raccoon experimented on and he feels bad about people pointing it out, but can you tell me anymore than that? How much were you really shown about the characters against how much you listened to concerning their jokes or the overall humor of the film?
Not everything has to be serious. I know a lot of people just want some action and humor to rewind, but I just don't like comedy driven action films, most of the time at least (I liked Ant-Man but I knew what that was going in), because I like to feel connected to the world and the characters.

