Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Let’s just say that this movie won't be winning any Oscar's.
Not that it matters ┬┴┬┴┤ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)├┬┴┬┴...
I mean, Suicide Squad (for example) won an Oscar but Mandy is and will always be a superior film in every single aspect... but I get your point.

Might not get nominated for any Oscar, but clearly that wasn't the director's intention, either.

In any case don't expect a detailed, clever, plot driven story when you go to see it. You don't expect any insights in human nature from a roller coaster ride, so don't expect any from this. :XD
Well, that's the thing, the movie isn't about the story. There's a story there, sure, but only on the surface level, what matters is everything else.

You don't go see a film such as this one for the story, but rather for the experience, which is what it amounts to in the end.

But like I said, I know all too well that this isn't for everyone, but it's not like it was attempting to be X and Y, either.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Crossed another off of my backlog. Upgrade. 4/10

I had been told it was a pretty good action movie with a ok plot and some great action moments. They lied. It struck me as kind of a hybrid between a revenge movie and a psychological thriller. Problem is that it gets lost in the space in between. The AI's involvement saps the sense of emotional momentum on the revenge side and the revenge plot detracts from the psychological thriller side. As a result I came away feeling like both halves were half baked.

The action scenes were impressive enough just from the standpoint of the physical performance by the actor and that they weren't shaky-cam garbage like a lot of movies. But the emotional weight was never behind them because the MC isn't actually doing anything other than watching. The whole package just felt like less than the sum of it's parts.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,120
Reaction score
20,239
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell

Not sure if the trailer looks bad or I'm just very skeptical... since X-Men: Apocalypse is really bad :fail

Is it that hard to film the Dark Phoenix Saga? :grumble

Not to mention this is Simon Kinberg's directorial debut.
 
Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States

Not sure if the trailer looks bad or I'm just skeptical... since X-Men: Apocalypse is really bad :fail

Is it that hard to film the Dark Phoenix Saga? :grumble

Not to mention this is Simon Kinberg's directorial debut.
It doesn't look good. That's for sure. And I'm totally with you on X-Men: Apocalypse being bad. Maybe even X-Men: The Last Stand bad.

I'll give it this. I like the Jean Grey Phoenix look they've chosen. Everything else worries me. The problem that I see, and it's one I'm not sure there is a solution for, is that I feel like the best way to tell the Dark Phoenix story is with Wolverine as a member of that weird love triangle. They seem to be trying to do it with Professor X, Magneto, and Mystique because those are the best actors they've got and I'm just not sure that's can work. You can't just throw any character into that story.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The memorable climax of that story is completely dependent on Wolverine and his relationship with her.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I'm not terribly invested in the MCU or anything, but that trailer just makes me want them to blow up everything they've done with the last two films and start over. They can keep Fassbender and McAvoy though.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,120
Reaction score
20,239
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
They seem to be trying to do it with Professor X, Magneto, and Mystique because those are the best actors they've got and I'm just not sure that's can work. You can't just throw any character into that story.
Pretty much yeah...

They also have another good actress with Jessica Chastain with this unspecified role:


--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I'm not terribly invested in the MCU or anything, but that trailer just makes me want them to blow up everything they've done with the last two films and start over. They can keep Fassbender and McAvoy though.
This is still part of the Fox series, not MCU yet.

You don't like J-Law as Mystique?

Starting all over again is ugh... but it's probably the best way when they incorporate them in the MCU...
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm not terribly invested in the MCU or anything, but that trailer just makes me want them to blow up everything they've done with the last two films and start over. They can keep Fassbender and McAvoy though.
They can blow up everything for all I care but they better not freakin' touch Deadpool. They should just embrace the Ryan Reynolds-verse.

Pretty much yeah...

They also another good actress with Jessica Chastain with this unspecified role:


--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


This is still part of the Fox series. not MCU yet.
She's got to be Emma Frost right? Which again is weird because I'm pretty sure they used her already. In the very first movie.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,120
Reaction score
20,239
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I'm not sure if she's going to be Emma Frost.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm not sure if she's going to be Emma Frost.
Maybe not exactly but isn't she the other big psychic in the X-Men? It's her, Professor X, and Jean. Maybe they will split her psychic side off into the "White Queen" or something.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,120
Reaction score
20,239
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Jessica Chastain will probably portray a skrull.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Jessica Chastain will probably portray a skrull.
Or maybe the first Emma Frost was.:3c

It would be hilarious if that's how they fixed everything. Just went full Secret Invasion. And make everybody they couldn't sign to a long term contract or need to replace in the changeover to new actors via the old..

"Oh my stars, that's not the real ____ the real ___ has been in suspended animation this whole time. The ____ we know is actually a skrull spy!"

Good ol' Bendis
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,120
Reaction score
20,239
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
It would be hilarious if that's how they fixed everything. Just went full Secret Invasion. And make everybody they couldn't sign to a long term contract or need to replace in the changeover to new actors via the old..

"Oh my stars, that's not the real ____ the real ___ has been in suspended animation this whole time. The ____ we know is actually a skrull spy!"

Good ol' Bendis
Hilarious indeed :lmao

But I don't think Marvel have the sense of humor/decency/guts to do that xD
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
This is still part of the Fox series, not MCU yet.

You don't like J-Law as Mystique?

Starting all over again is ugh... but it's probably the best way when they incorporate them in the MCU...
I know that... my point is with Disney acquiring Fox, all of this will likely be forgotten anyways. First Class and Days of Future Past were great, I avoided Age of Apocalypse and nothing in this trailer really motivates me to catch up. They should have told this story properly the first time around, that way Wolverine could have been a part of it.

Not really, no. I don't know if it's her as Mystique, as much as it's whatever character Jennifer Lawrence has been playing in 2 movies being Mystique only in name. She was alright in First Class, but that's it.

Dunno, there's a lot of wild speculation about how they could bring Mutants back into the MCU, the problem is the current X-Men storyline is set in the past so it's not going to work even if they kept everyone involved. Certain actors could work as they'd maybe be old enough to portray their characters in the current MCU (Xavier, Magneto, Beast, Mystique, Colossus), but nearly everyone else would be too young and would need to be recast.

And then there's the whole Scarlett Witch existing thing too...
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
In the Marvel Universe at that time, there was the Kree, the Skrull, and a third empire... its Empress was Professor X’s girlfriend. She was all torn up about the fact she was going to have to have her military kill Jean Grey all because the Phoenix destroyed an entire solar system. We’ll probably never get to enjoy the whole original story. I’m going to have to pull out a graphic novel of the story to reread it. It’s one of the finest stories ever told in a comic book format, so I’ll probably be extremely disappointed at the movie.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In the Marvel Universe at that time, there was the Kree, the Skrull, and a third empire... its Empress was Professor X’s girlfriend. She was all torn up about the fact she was going to have to have her military kill Jean Grey all because the Phoenix destroyed an entire solar system. We’ll probably never get to enjoy the whole original story. I’m going to have to pull out a graphic novel of the story to reread it. It’s one of the finest stories ever told in a comic book format, so I’ll probably be extremely disappointed at the movie.
The Shi' ar I believe. And I feel like a huge nerd for knowing that off the top of my head.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Did Fox even have the rights to that story though? Considering the cosmic nature of it and everything...
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Did Fox even have the rights to that story though? Considering the cosmic nature of it and everything...
Don’t know, but do they have to license he story separately from the characters?

Things could get ugly fast though with inappropriate casting.

For example, this is not a Deadpool movie.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Don’t know, but do they have to license he story separately from the characters?

Things could get ugly fast though with inappropriate casting.

For example, this is not a Deadpool movie.
I don't know the particulars of it but the MCU got around the Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver stuff by saying they weren't mutants, and since no other mutants exist in their films, I assumed Fox owned the rights to mutant storylines and such. The Shi'ar are aliens but not mutants so I thought perhaps they wouldn't have rights to those characters on that basis. Of course, they could just avoid using any names and do basically the same thing though, I suppose.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Watched Jurassic World.... 3/10

I mean, wow. Just, wow. I had heard it was bad but I feel like people if anything understated it. Yikes. It's hard to even talk about. How can a movie about dinosaurs and people getting eaten by said dinosaurs be boring? And the little girl... The whole third act really was just..-_-;
 
Top